Start by marking “Listen to the Desert/Oye al Desierto” as Want to Read:
Listen to the Desert/Oye al Desierto

Listen to the Desert/Oye al Desierto

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
“A bilingual account of some of the animals and sounds commonly found in the Southwestern desert. Each double-page spread depicts a vast expanse of light blue sky with four lines of text—two in English and two in Spanish—on the verso, and a different creature or scene on the recto. . . . The translations are appropriate and provide an excellent opportunity to compare the s ...more
Published March 19th 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Listen to the Desert/Oye al Desierto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listen to the Desert/Oye al Desierto

Lisa Vegan
Well, I was somewhat disappointed with this, coming in with high expectations. I’ve read a few others of Mora’s books and really liked them, a lot. I’ve also been enjoying many bilingual English-Spanish children’s picture books.

So, the whole premise of this one is how the sounds of the desert are so similar in the English and Spanish language. On each page a line in English is shown twice, then the same line is given twice in Spanish. Spanish is reasonably easy for native English speakers to pro
Benjamin
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, story-time
My co-worker Elsa is a talented Spanish reader. We teamed up one week for a bilingual story time. She picked this book which highlights different desert sounds in two languages. Did you know that Spanish-speaking owls say "Uuuuh! Uuuuh!"?
Lindsay
I read the English sections of this story for a snake-themed session of Backyard Bookworms, a story time program at the MJC Great Valley Museum of Natural History. It was nice to read this story because it also features an owl and toad, which are the other themes I've done for Backyard Bookworms this summer.

This is a "quiet" book in that it's a bit poetic in its style and use of repetition (in a good way), for example, "Listen to the toad hop, plop, plop, plop. Listen to the toad hop, plop, plo
Jen
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb, bilingual, espa-ol
simple language, good for Spanish/English learners.
exactly half is in Spanish and half is in English.
The translation is not exactly the same which bothers me- for example "Listen to the dove say coo, coo, coo." The Spanish is "La paloma arrulla, currucu, currucu, currucu."
This could be a good book for audience participation, because of the repetition.
Ashley Lahr
Many of Pat Mora's books are in both Spanish and English as this one is as well. These are great books to use with ELL and elementary that learn both English and Spanish. This book goes through and says listen to the coyote, the wind, the owl, the mice, the rain, etc. All of which you hear in the desert.
Katie Scherrer
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This worked well in a music/rhythm theme storytime. I had the kids clap the beat while I read the text. I used a call and response type style, where the kids repeated each line. It was fun, and good for modeling phonological awareness.
I like this book, but I'm confused why the sounds are different in the translated part because these aren't sounds like a chicken makes that are culturally defined. They are the sounds of the rain and of the desert, it is a bit confusing.
Jhemlee
Sep 05, 2013
Qamar Dhagax
i like to read this book
Zezinho
Jul 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pat Mora (born 1942) is a female Mexican-American author and poet. Pat Mora was born in El Paso, Texas. She is married and has 3 grown children.
More about Pat Mora...