Start by marking “Die Hexen Der Finsternis” as Want to Read:
Die Hexen Der Finsternis

Die Hexen Der Finsternis (Night Witches #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  674 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Follow young Abby and Spike on their thrilling adventures through the fantastical world of THE WITCH TRADE. The evil Night Witches have invented a powerful new weapon and are threatening to take over the world -- and only Abby and Spike can stop them! Joined by Captain Starlight (aka the Ancient Mariner), Abby and Spike must travel through perlious seas and wild lands to r ...more
332 pages
Published 2010 by Carlsen (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Die Hexen Der Finsternis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Hexen Der Finsternis

Helen
I enjoyed this, plenty of magic and interesting characters, and some satisfyingly unpleasant bad characters.

It started off with a good story that made it stand out from the average magic adventure, but it ran out of steam about halfway through.

The ending felt too rushed and predictable, no surprises there and nothing to hold my interest enough to want to read the next one.
Rainbowpower
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“A Book Review of: The Witch Trade”
Book: The Witch Trade Author: Michael Molloy
Did you know that there is more than one type of witch? Well, read this to find out more. First, Abby was waiting for her aunt to bring to a boat tour. All the kids of Speller were going. Next, a mysterious bird caught her eye and she followed it. She missed the tour and went back home. Earlier, her uncle found a strange boy on the shore who was unconscious. He became part of their family. They named him Spike and
Hannah
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I was given the opportunity to choose a new children's book for our local library when I was younger. I picked "The Witch Trade" and got to read it first, and boy, am I glad I chose it!

It has everything a kid loves in a story: magic, young and adventurous characters that they can connect with, a battle between good or evil. I loved the idea of trading ice dust and preventing the Night Witches from building their weapon, and so on. Abby and Spike were great main characters to follow, too; energet
Melissa
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The introductory chapter was like a study in ADD. The story itself then begins to build up, telling itself in dialog but sacrificing all else. There are no emotions, no connection with the characters. They go along with the plot without question, because that's what serves the plot. Ludicrous back stories and dangerous situations are simply accepted at face value. About halfway through the book I realized that the simplistic language may actually lend itself very well to being read aloud to youn ...more
Chiara
Essendo un libro per bambini e avendolo letto alla veneranda età di 21 anni, non posso dire che mi sia piaciuto.
Se avessi avuto otto anni, non sarebbe stato male.
L'ho comprato solo perché avevo i due volumi successivi e non mi piacciono le saghe lasciate a metà .
Mark Bluett
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story with a clear plot and surprising twists.
Kayla
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly appreciated this book, and how the events had great detail. It reminds me of a movie, and how many elements can be shown in one frame. However, every movie has some drawbacks.

For myself, I disliked how the fundamental plot books have that hooks a reader was not evident in this book. I almost quit a few times due to there being little to no situations in some chapters, just speaking and describing. I would have ditched it if not for the limited time I had.

Perhaps this book is more suitab
Kimberley
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book, I think children would definitely enjoy this more (max age of about 12 I'd say), however if you want something light hearted, fast and full of adventure then this is definitely the book for you. If you were a fan of The Golden Compass/Northern Lights or Artemis Fowl then you will enjoy this book but if you are older and reading it then remember it is aimed for younger children so you can't judge it on how predictable it is.

Read more on my blog at: https://bookgeek2015.wo
Stephen Hayes
A strange mixture of science fiction and fantasy. I can't help comparing it with Alan Garner's children's books, where magic enters the everyday world in a convincing way, but this was a little too unconvincing for me.
Agust
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tengo que admitir de que la trama está muy buena para chicos jóvenes, pero que no me supo atrapar del todo.
Y siento que pasaban tantas cosas que no me daba un tiempo para procesarlo. La prosa del autor no ayudó mucho, la sentí medio insípida y simple.
Stephanie
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely easy read of a book. A great fast-paced adventure tale with a touch of magic.
SophiaGhastly
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely jaunt! Perfect for 6-12 year olds.

Beautifully handled adventure that allows for the children to have loving relationships with their parents AND their adventures!

Beautifully crafted Light Witches and Night Witches and a fantastic take on the Ancient Mariner. Such a nice read!
Brina
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Abby Clover lebt zusammen mit ihrer Tante Lucy, ihrem Onkel Ben und ihrem besten Freund Spike in Speller, einer kleinen Küstenstadt in England. Vorher lebte Abby zusammen mit ihren Eltern in einem Leuchtturm, jedoch sind Abbys Eltern seit einer Expidition nicht mehr aufgetaucht.

Doch die kleine Stadt scheint kein normaler Ort zu sein, denn die Stadt ist weder auf Karten eingezeichnet, noch gibt es außer Abby und Spike keine Kinder. Diese sind angeblich auf hoher See verunglückt.

Durch Zufall lerne
Lynne
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not the target audience and the more I read of this, the more that became blindingly obvious.
Faedyl
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Entrada en el diario 16 de Faedyl desde City Bell, Buenos Aires Province Argentina en lunes, 18 de febrero de 2008
4 de 10

Terminado!
Me parece bueno para una lectura rápida, entretiene un poco. Creo que es un texto más para chicos ávidos de aventura desde los 7 y hasta los 12 y por ahí nomás. He leído otros textos similares y los encontré mucho mejor relatados con un hilo narrativo más constante.

Como comentaron arriba, la historia por momentos ronda lo iverosímil... conflictos donde las soluciones
Todd

IF YOU LIKED THIS TRY...

The Time Witches by Michael Molloy Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism (Molly Moon, #1) by Georgia Byng Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson The Witches by Roald Dahl The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, #1) by Michael Buckley

Ellie
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 9-12 year olds
Shelves: fantasy
It's definitely aimed at much younger readers so I didn't find the plot particularly riveting (in fact, nothing in it was the least bit surprising)

However, that's my own fault for being older than the target audience.

I read the second book when I was about 10. When I realised it was part of a series, I tried to find the first one. Somehow though I never did read it until now...

It's charming and unassuming with likeable characters.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone older than about 13 or 14 but I
Lesli
Jan 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting fantasy children's (young adult?) book. A problem it has is that the author seemed to be continually making up or redefining the magical boundaries of the world, so that there was no set magic and it was always changing with new things made up for what he wanted the characters to do. Also, he seemed to be making up the plot as he went along, which is not always a bad thing, but in this case it made it a little sloppy and confusing. However, the book was exciting and fun, c ...more
Nina
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The story has its ups and downs, but it doesn't have a big influence on the adventure itself. And if you’d fear getting seasick, simply jump aboard of the Atlantis (Boat) – it’ll take you straight to the depths and there are no waves ;) Buckle up! We’re travelling at full speed towards the Land of Mordoc and prepare to battle side by side. We’ll defeat the Night Witches, but watch out for Wolfbane!
Brian O flynn
Dec 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6-10
It's been years since I read this book but I remember it as being enjoyable! I used to be obsessed and read it many times. It isn't very realistic, it's namely fantasy and in my opinion it is quite childish so I would recommmend it to the lower age group!
Kayla
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes semi-believable books
Shelves: my-favorites
This book was one of my all-time favorites. I read it a long time ago, so I can't remeber what the moral or theme of the story was , but I remember that I loved it. I'll read it again sometime and add more to this review.
Carol
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un gran libro para niños... no estoy segura que en realidad sea tan emocionante para adultos, la historia me pareció bastante sencilla, un poco extraña, pero normal.
Lo leí hace mucho ya y recuerdo que me gustó, pero también estaba chica, así que pudo ser por eso.
Jessica
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quick-read
I did quite enjoy this book, though it was quite childish in some part, but I guess that is to be expected because the book is aimed at children.

If you've got a bit of time and you're into books like this then it's a good read.
Ginger
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf
This is a story of light witches vs dark witches and I listened to it when it was featured on bbc7 radio.

Rebekah
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a huge part of my childhood. Checked it out every time I went to the library for years on end.
Natalia Jimena
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como buena historia infantil, tuvo un bonito final, pero también como toda historia infantil siempre hay una continuación, en este caso El Chacal ha escapado...ahora a seguir con el siguiente libro!!
Katherine
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, favorites
One of my all time favorites, i love the adventures and magical theme as although i first read almost 5 years ago it still captivates me now.
Miquela
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An OK read. Everything was a bit too pat. Probably would have enjoyed it when I was of an age to be read to.
Ayesha
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Witch Trade" is an awesome read for both kids and older readers who'd just enjoy a bit of fun and adventure.
  • The Everyday Witch (Beatrice Bailey, #1)
  • Shalott (Shalott, #1)
  • The Wizard's Scepter (The Keepers, #3)
  • The Seventh Princess
  • The Truth About Verity Sparks
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • Dawn Undercover
  • Jinx On The Divide (The Divide, #3)
  • The Scent of Magic (Doomspell, #2)
  • Guardian of the Freedom (Merlin's Descendents, #5)
  • Avielle Of Rhia
  • Tamlyn (Silvermay, #2)
  • The Birthday Room
  • Die geheime Bibliothek des Thaddäus Tillmann Trutz
  • The Witches' Kitchen
  • French Kissmas
  • The Legend Begins (Little Fur, #1)
  • When Pigs Fly
As a counterpart to his career as a writer of children's books, Michael Molloy is a regular contributor to the Guardian newspaper. He lives in London, England, with his wife, Sandy, their three daughters, Jane, Kate, and Alexandra, and their two dogs, Fred and Daisy.
More about Michael Molloy...

Night Witches (3 books)
  • The Time Witches
  • Wild West Witches

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)