Start by marking “The Star Wars Craft Book” as Want to Read:
The Star Wars Craft Book

The Star Wars Craft Book

GIVE IN TO THE POWER OF THE CRAFTY SIDE

Chewbacca Sock Puppets. Ewok Flower Vases. AT-AT Herb Gardens. With The Star Wars Craft Book, fans of all ages and skill levels can bring the best of the galaxy far, far away right into their own homes. Fully illustrated, this guide features a variety of fun and original projects.

• Playtime: Make and play with finger puppets of y
Published March 29th 2011 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Star Wars Craft Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star Wars Craft Book

Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't think of myself as a super-crafty person (me + hot glue gun = danger), but Bonnie makes you feel like all you need in order to be a crafting master are a few googly eyes, a love of Star Wars, and boundless enthusiasm. The projects are cute and cheeky (Chewbacca sock puppets! AT-AT herb gardens!) and her instructions are easy to follow and delivered with wit -- she's like a crafting Yoda, guiding you in your quest to become a Jedi master of action figure wreath making (which is my secret ...more
Samma
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Nothing really exciting here that couldn't have been found online or contrived by another creative crafter. Some of the projects really aren't even that professional looking for a finished product, which...I guess makes me feel better as someone who isn't a great inventor, but I really had higher hopes for the quality of some of these --especially given that they ARE collected in book form. Not a terrible collection by any means, but something I'm glad I didn't pay for. Thank goodness for librar ...more
Quinn Rollins
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
A very good friend just sent me a gift that will keep on giving for years to come--the 2011 Star Wars Craft Book. Bonnie Burton's book is 150 pages of ideas for turning your favorite Star Wars characters, aliens and spaceships into craft projects that boys, girls, kids and adults will love making.

There are more than forty different projects displayed and explained in the five chapters, grouped into subjects like Playtime, Home Decor, and Holiday Crafts. I love idea books like this, and even tho
Kim Bishop
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Star Wars Craft Book is such a great idea! My son and I are huge Star Wars fans, and with summer approaching, I needed something to fill our days with during break that was fun and time consuming with the kids. I love my kids dearly but good lord having them home 24/7 for two months straight can really drive a mom insane! Bonnie Burton to the rescue! After watching Bonnie and her friends on their fabulous book club show, Vaginal Fantasy, I learned all about her SW crafting book! Now to get d ...more
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Prepare to laugh your way through a craft book. Burton's Star Wars inspired crafts (including a millenium falcon bed)have kept me smiling for weeks and I *HATE* crafts and all things crafty (too much patience, time required). However, even I, the inherently uncrafty, am totally temped to make a Chewbacca Birdhouse using popscicle sticks and a milk carton, an At-At Herb Garden Container made primarily of duct tape, and one of the adorable yoda dolls (ah Yoda). I will never think of R2-D2 the same ...more
Parka
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This is an amusing Star Wars book. The crafts inside look like spoof characters for stop motion animation.

The book's mainly for kids, and the Star Wars fans of course. So the crafts are designed in such a way that everyone can create them. There aren't much sewing to be done. Most items needed are household items, like buttons, cloth, cotton. The instructions are simple and easy to follow.

There are crafts for amusing yourself, like the finger puppets. Home decor
paula
Craft books. So tempting, so cool! In my experience, no other type of book causes people to delude themselves quite so thoroughly.

The cute little R2-D2 hat? Oh My God I am SO going to learn to crochet so that I can make that hat! The AT-AT herb planter? Hey, that could happen - we have almost all those supplies laying around the house somewhere. And half the rest of this stuff is all cutting and glueing felt! Easy! Ok there's a little sewing if you want the Jar Jar Binks Voodoo Doll to look like
Theresa
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have a LOT of craft books. Most of them are craft specific, and rarely get pulled off the shelves except for inspiration (this is how I treat my cookbooks, too).. but THIS book.. I keep this one out. The sheer variety of crafts and end products makes it a joy to go through regularly, and I recommend it to all my crafty, geeky, parental, Star Wars lovin' friends!

Also if you have a chance to meet Bonnie, the author, at a convention - especially at one of her hands-on crafting demos - Do It!!
Eling
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, reference
very fun concept, and some neat ideas in here. I liked that this was written for a range of crafting skills, but I think that the projects would be best for those who like Star Wars enough to have lots of these sort of items in their house; which, now that I've read this, I realize is not me.

I think lots of the projects would be really fun to do with kids, though, so I'm stashing this book away in my virtual library for when I need that sort of book. Would recommend this more to Star Wars megaf
Aldene
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read that had projects for all ages and skill levels. Most of the projects in the book are easy and can be completed with little to no sewing skills and seem really fun. I do wish they put in more directions for some of the more difficult projects. I think this book is a delightful read with inspired fun ideas. I want to make the Java body pillow now!
Gail
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft, nonfiction
We checked this book out from the library. The kids (7 & 4) loved it. It was right their speed as most of the crafts were easily doable with a little help from an adult. We made the Chewbacca Sock Puppet, Tooka "inspired" Doll, Marble Magnets, Dagobah Carnivorous Plant Habitat, Star Wars Rock Buddies for our garden, and Character Rings. I'm sure we will be checking this book out again.
Cherish
Bonnie, my grandson's and his dad's birthdays arrived, this past week, and I was, finally, able to give them this book to play with, together. Well, you should have seen little Marek's face. He was thrilled! And Dad thought it was pretty darn cool, too :)
Dree
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty-reference
My 8-year-old found this at Borders' closing sale.

So far we (meaning I) have made the Droid Cat Toy. It was virtually destroyed after 1 session with our cat-who-likes-catnip. It is not obviously a droid any longer :)

The boy has many more plans for what I will be making.
Hollis
Oct 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Nothing I would ever have in my home or even looked at twice (other then the hat and the pillow). Meant for kids, I guess.

Note: anyone who has enough starwars tshirts to make a quilt with 6" squares doesn't need bedding. They need an intervention.
Colleen
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute ideas, but most are more juvenile than I'd be interested in creating. However, if you have kids that love Star Wars, this is a great book for quick, easy craft projects.
Deborah
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Would have been better if it had contained some cross stitch patterns & an index.
Jenna
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Want to make the wookie-hood!

*Edit* Duh, Ewok-hood.
Fantastical Geek (Atarashii Sekai)
I got this book for my birthday and I'm like, sweet! I'm a really crafty and geeky gal, so I thought this would awesome. How WRONG I was. The pictures are stunning, but all of the material needs to be bought and calls for a lot of felt when sewing.

COME ON PEOPLE! CRAFTS SHOULD REQUIRE MATERIAL FROM IN YOUR OWN HOUSE WHICH IS INEXPENSIVE! *sigh*

I made the "Washcloth Wampa" and it fell apart slowly after a month of existence. Bonnie Burton claims that you don't need a sewing machine, but I think
Meredith
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
A mixed bag. Some of the projects, just applying tried-and-true crafts (marble magnets, t-shirts-into-stuff) with just using star wars pics or t's, were less inspiring - been there, done that. Googly eyes aren't my style, but I can see they're easier than embroidery/sewing on buttons, say.
HOWEVER, there are really great bits, too. The Bith band spoon puppets were a revelation, the cuddly Bantha was dead-on adorable, and Han Solo in "soaponite", the Emperor "Appletine" doll - those were elegant
Sandy
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ppya11
Simple and easy crafts with a Star Wars theme. Make sock puppets, felt finger puppets, pillows, cat toys, etc. Some of these items (the Jabba the Hut body pillow) are kind of creepy, but all look fun and have easy to follow instructions. Most crafts are simple and easy to create, but there is an occassional craft thrown in that requires more skill and time. Some crafts do require some sewing skills.
Maggie
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Some of the projects shown in the book are a little drab and simplistic looking there are quite a few darling ones. I'm planning on giving the R2D2 beanie, Ewok vase and AT-AT planter a try. Some of the jewelry techniques could also easily be used for other genres.

So it's cute, fun and fairly child friendly.
Mary Jo
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
This craft book is amazing! There's some really creative crafts in here. The Han Solo in soaponite is hilarious, and it's making me want to go find a Han Solo action figure just so I can make one!

A must have for any Star Wars fan!
Marie Segares
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
The book is primarily a compilation of tutorials and patterns seen previously on the web. However, there are some awesome things in it that will definitely inspire you to get creative. My personal favorite is the Millenium Falcon bed.
Maddie
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
There's a couple projects I'm interested in trying (namely, the AT-AT planter), but for a lot of these projects I am either simply not interested or do not have the supplies/skills to do them.

Still, I think it's worthwhile to check it out if you're an arts'n'crafts person and a fan of Star Wars.
Katie Powell
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Han Solo in Soaponite and Chewbacca Tissue Box cover are going to be fabulous gift items! I am going to definitely make the Space Slug Draft Blocker and AT-AT Herb Garden for home decor! So excited!
Becca
May 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, crafts
This book was a blast to look through. Full of great ideas to make for your Star Wars loving friends. Check out my version of the Yoda doll on my blog: http://missingthemuse.blogspot.com/20...
Jenn
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
My son loves Star Wars. My son loves "crafting". So, I was sure he would love this book. He found it in the library bag immediately and it took him all of 20 minutes to request that I crochet him the droid hat.
Karen
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, with-hugh
There are some really cute crafts in here, but I was hoping the crafts would be more kid-friendly. Instead, there is entirely too much sewing involved, which isn't friendly to me or my kids. A fun book for a teen or adult Star Wars fan who likes to sew, though.
Stephanie Sunday
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Perfect for Star Wars fans who like to craft or for crafters with loved ones who love Star Wars and you would like to make something for them. Projects seem simple enough to make based on your own skill level but also might inspire you to create your own star wars crafts
Carmen
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My little Star Wars fans love this book! My kids make Christmas gifts for each other and this was a huge hit. I have a little Yoda finger puppet and Washcloth Wampa running around here. There are also plans of making the Cuddly Bantha and Jabba the Hutt body pillow.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • The Making of Star Wars, Episode I - The Phantom Menace
  • 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse: Remake, Restyle, Recycle, Renew
  • Only Opal
  • Star Wars: The Magic of Myth

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Los Angeles-based author Bonnie Burton writes about pop culture. Her books include: J.K. ROWLING'S WIZARDING WORLD: MOVIE MAGIC VOLUME THREE: AMAZING ARTIFACTS (Penguin Random House), CRAFTING WITH FEMINISM (Quirk Books), THE STAR WARS CRAFT BOOK (Penguin Random House), STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS: PLANETS IN PERIL (DK Readers), DRAW STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS (Klutz Books), YOU CAN DRAW: STAR WARS ( ...more