Start by marking “Favorite Greek Myths” as Want to Read:
Favorite Greek Myths

Mary Pope Osborne

Favorite Greek Myths

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  677 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Here are twelve Greek myths, retold in an accessible style and magnificently illustrated with classic elegance. Full color.
Hardcover
Published January 1st 1991 by Scholastic Paperbacks Trade (first published 1988)

Soli
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Calificación: ★★

Buscando entre mis libros de cuando estaba en el colegio me tope con algunos de los de torre de papel; escogí el de Mitos griegos ya que no me acordaba de haberlo leído.

El gran pecado de este libro: Los nombres de los dioses
Aunque el titulo habla de dioses "griegos" todos los nombres de los relatos tienen los nombres en su versión romana...
WHY?!
No lo entiendo, por cuantas manos debió de pasar el libro en su proceso de publicación y ni una sola alma se indigno con este detalle;
Zia
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it's dumb how she uses the Roman names of the gods instead. The book is called "Favorite GREEK Myths", not "Favorite Roman Myths". If it's a book about Greek mythology, she should use the Greek names. It confuses me, and it's really annoying.
Kim
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool, mythology
Even though this is titled "Greek" myths, the author uses the Roman mythology names in the book. Very disappointing in that respect.
Dali
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good for young an old a like.
Bell Vallone
I read it first when I was a child and I really liked it. But now, 9 years later, that I read Rick Riordan's series Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus,and did a lot of research about the greeks and romans Gods.I realized that Mary Pope Osborne called her book "Greek Myths" but used lots of Roman names for the Gods. Most Gods had not only different names in greek than in latin, but they had different personalitys too. For the romans,the gods were more like soldiers ready por war. For the greeks ...more
Andrea
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, this is my favorite of Greek mythology children's books. I liked the illustrations and the stories were told with more fluid story language rather than just choppy retelling. The one thing I didn't like was the use of the Roman names. I think it is because these stories are from later in history so it makes sense but it just makes it hard for me to keep things straight :)
Isabel Jazmín
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me gustaron mucho estas versiones de los mitos griegos, me pareció que son claras y con un lenguaje sencillo. Creo que al dividir por capítulos y dedicar cada uno a un solo mito es mucho más fácil entenderlos y diferenciar a los personajes.
Ensiform
Osborne, the author of the Magic Tree House books, retells twelve stories of Greek myth in a very slim (75 not very dense at all pages) volume for children. As in Enid Blyton’s collection, these are tales mostly well-known to Western culture, also mostly from Ovid’s Metamorphoses: Orpheus and Eurydice, Echo and Narcissus, Midas’ greedy wish, Persephone and Hades, the ill-starred love of Cupid and Psyche. She also includes a few obscurities: Arcus, who shot his mother while hunting after she had ...more
Amy Rae
The illustrations in this book are so beautiful, and the retellings are really nicely written. It's genuinely breaking my heart to give this book two stars.

Unfortunately, it's a terrible resource from any but the most narrowly literary perspective.

The source notes are almost non-existent. A vague comment on "who wrote the Greek myths," along with a list of words derived from the Greek language, is not a quality source.

And most annoyingly, Osborne mixes in the names of Roman deities throughout t
María Paz Greene
Mucho ruido y pocas nueces. Los mitos originales, por supuesto, son muy buenos, pero son tan resumidos (algunos) que se pierde la mitad de la magia. Además, son tantos mitos, que se pierde la idea general. Cuando yo di este libro en clases (soy profesora) y pedí dos ejemplos, más de la mitad de los niños no se acordaban de ninguno porque al final se le mezclaban todos. Es fome. Sería mejor tomar dos o tres mitos y realmente desarrollarlos bien. Elegir algunos que no tengamos que censurar tanto ( ...more
Dolly
May 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a terrific collection of Greek myths, short stories that are the perfect length to read with children. The illustrations are very nice and convey the age of the stories. The only problem I have with this book has been critiqued by other reviewers here. I do not like that the author has chosen to use the Roman names. It just seems odd that the book's title announces "Greek" myths, but then uses the different names. Oh well, at least we had fun 'translating' them into the names we know so ...more
Lisa Overberg
While Osborne chose to use Roman names instead of Greek for the myths, they are a well-told introduction to this genre. Troy Howell's illustrations depict the gods' adventures and provide images for young readers who know nothing about Phaeton's chariot of fire or King Midas' gold touch. The book concludes with a list of gods and goddesses of Mount Olympus as well as the mortals who appear in this collection. It also gives examples of words that have origins in mythology.

Genre: myths
Reading leve
Sarah Bynum
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-greece
This is an excellent book to read to children. Probably the best youth Greek Mythology I've yet stumbled upon. The tales are simplified enough for children to understand and be entertained by but without sacrificing the essential lessons of the myth. The illustrations are very pretty. I didn't take much umbrage with the Roman names being used because it is explained in the introduction that all the tales are taken from Ovid. Some of the stories, such as Athena & Arachne, don't even survive o ...more
Kellyanne
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
A great introduction to Mythology. I had the pleasure of meeting the author at a conference earlier and she spoke of this collection fondly. I enjoyed these stories. Also included are appendices, which are definitely a good reference - it offers both the Roman and Greek names of the characters, descriptions, and a short bibliography of other mythological works. My one quibble is that the Roman names were using in text as opposed to the Greek names.
Cher
This was my favorite bedtime read while growing up. The artwork is gorgeous and the tales detailed without being too dry. Before I could read by myself, my mom would read the stories while I placed myself into the artwork, creating new stories within my head. Now 20 years later I still cherish this text, using it in classroom lessons for both high schoolers and middle schoolers because of how accessible Osbourne writes the tales.
Anna
Some of the stories were too sad or too scary for my just-5 year old. Maybe we'll revisit the book again closer to Kindergarten.
He was fine with The Golden Touch and The Mysterious Visitors.
He cried with Chariot of the Sun God, Lost at Sea, Journey to the Underworld.
The Weaving Contest's ending was very disturbing to him.
I did not read Apollo's Tree, The Face In the Pool, The Kidnapping, The Great Bear, The Golden Apples, or The Four Tasks to him. Saving those for a later time...
Molly
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories and illustrations were pretty good. What I really didn't like was that the tales were actually Roman, when it said that they were Greek (hence the title). The book used Roman names and it said that most of the stories were retold from a book written by a Roman writer. I like Greek stuff better than Roman, so that took away from the stories.
Álex Oliva
Mar 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Está en el plan lector de mi colegio. A pesar de tener un tema tan interesante, el planteamiento de las historias es aburrido y me aburrí bastante.

Dice ser una recopilación de mitos griegos, pero los nombres de los personajes corresponden a los dioses romanos; además, suaviza demasiado algunas historias que por esencia son pérfidas, como la del Rey Midas o la historia de Dafne y Apolo.
Ivy
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some great retellings of Greek myths. The illustrations are lovely. I just wish that she used the Greek names instead of the Roman. It is perplexing based on the title. Other than that I have no complaints. A nice companion to add to D'Aulaires' books for kids when doing Greek mythology.
Peekablue
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains gorgeous illustrations to go along with the stories it contains. This is a great introduction to Greek mythology. After reading this, as a child, I had to learn more. There's even a list in the back of all the Greek gods and demigods, and other characters.
Isis
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was my introduction to Greek mythology as a child. Very nice collection of the stories, and written in engaging prose. As others have mentioned, the Greek names would have been preferable; however, overall, great for a first exposure to some of the more famous tales.
Maria
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was wanting to refresh my memory on some of the Greek myths and this book did so but a few of the stories seemed quite a bit different from what I remember and I was irritated that the author used the Roman names throughout.
Beth Hermes
Feb 25, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: international
I used this book during my student teaching in order to teach Greek Mythology. It was used for lower level students. The stories were quick intereseting and easy to understand. It can also be used for supplimental work. I would recommend this book, especially for teachers.
Michelle Tempted By Books
I LOVE GREEK Mythology! This was a fabulous Children's reference book, a lot of basic information in a shortened form. I used this as a refresher for myself and for a introduction to my kids. Only problem is some of the names were in their Roman version.
Samantha González
¡MI TEMA FAVORITO! Si hay algo que amo son los mitos griegos, puedo leerlos una y otra vez. Como los griegos se ingeniaban para darle un por qué a todo y la humanización de los dioses que deja muy en claro que la perfección no existe.
Courtney
These short retellings of classic myths are a great introduction to mythology and are all nicely written even though there was some sort of identity crisis where Roman names were used when these are supposed GREEK myths but I honestly didn’t even realize this until I was halfway through, oops!
Lisa
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th grade readers and up
Excellent version for my 6th grade classroom. Challenging vocabulary, and of course interesting themes! Had encouraged great discussion during our reading block because kids were easily able to connect with the text.
10-11 Isabella
This book was awesome! I really love Greek myths and this book was very detailed. I learned a lot of new information that I never read about in other books about Greek myths.! I recommended it for myth lovers!
Martin
Accessible, kid-friendly versions of popular Greek myths, including a short list of modern words with Greek origins, as well as a who's who of gods, goddesses, and mortals appearing in the selected tales.
Ideal for readers8 years and up.
Alanna
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
What's there is good, but there's not a lot there! Very far from a solid collection of Greek myths.
  • Greek Myths
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles
  • The Greek Myths: Vol. 2
  • Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland
  • Greek Myths
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • The Story Of The Greeks
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of "The Odyssey"
  • Greyling: A Picture Story from the Islands of Shetland
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Myths and Folk Tales of Ireland
  • The Greek News
  • Ancient China (Eyewitness Books)
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths
  • In Search of a Homeland: The Story of The Aeneid
  • The Headless Horseman Rides Tonight: More Poems to Trouble Your Sleep
  • Roman Diary: The Journal of Iliona of Mytilini: Captured and Sold as a Slave in Rome - AD 107
More about Mary Pope Osborne...