Start by marking “High Profile (Jesse Stone, #6)” as Want to Read:
High Profile (Jesse Stone, #6)

High Profile

(Jesse Stone #6)

The murder of a notorious public figure places Paradise, Massachusetts, police chief Jesse Stone in the harsh glare of the media spotlight. When the body of controversial talk-show host Walton Weeks is discovered hanging from a tree on the outskirts of Paradise, police chief Jesse Stone finds himself at the center of a highly public case, forcing him to deal with small-min ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Berkley Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about High Profile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Profile

Kemper
I don’t think it’s a good idea for two characters created by the same writer who each star in their own mystery series to have sex because it seems kind of incestuous and icky. Sadly, that’s the least of this book’s problems.

Police Chief Jesse Stone is trying to solve the murder of a famous radio/TV political talk show host named Walton Weeks who was hung from a tree after being shot to death, and his assistant was also murdered and left in a dumpster. Usually you could count on RBP to deliver a
Gary
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This book took a step back in quality. the murder case is really ho hum, which shouldn't be a problem if the characterization was spot on. Which it wasn't. The saga of Jesse and Jenn seemed like ground hog day, and I am unsure where Sunny came in or even why. It read like the author rushed through without a store of good ideas to draw from. three stars because Parker is still a good author. Maybe I just need a break from this series for awhile.
Janie Johnson
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
High Profile is book #6 in the Jesse Stone Series. I have to say that this one has been my favorite so far. It makes me look forward to all the other upcoming books in this series. Well Done Mr. Parker.

Synopsis
When the body of controversial talk-show host Walton Weeks is discovered hanging from a tree on the outskirts of Paradise, police chief Jesse Stone finds himself at the center of a highly public case, forcing him to deal with small-minded local officials and national media scrutiny. When a
Jean
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My husband and I got hooked on the Jesse Stone stories after watching Tom Selleck in this role in several made-for-TV movies. This is the first one we have read (actually, listened to). I liked the mystery part, but had a big problem with the audio book. After a few minutes of listening to "Jesse said," "Molly said," "Jesse said," "Suitcase said," "Harry said," we were both ready to scream. I guess that's Parker's style, but it is extremely distracting in audio. We won't listen to any more of th ...more
Jim
The story was probably a typical Jesse Stone, which means this should have been a 3 star book. Instead, it was too irritating to listen to due to all the "He said", "She said" that ruled every conversation. It's nice to know who is talking, but they were in almost EVERY single sentence of dialog. Worse, 'said' was used when obviously 'asked' should have been. "How are you doing," he said. NO!!!

There were some other issues with obvious points being talked up, but those I could forgive. I don't ex
Carolyn F.
Audiobook

At first I was extremely irritated about all of the, "Jesse said", "Sunny said", "Suitcase said", but then I was kind of glad because although the narrator was good his voices weren't that different from each other so I don't think I would have been able to keep track of who went with which dialogue.

The book itself was good but the relationship with Jesse and his ex-wife - how can he still love her? How can she claim that she loves him and then hurt him? Why should he wait for perhaps
Dottie Hall
I've been on a kick reading all Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone books lately. While some have been solid 3 stars, others have been 4. This one is solid 3. The downfall to these books, in my opinion is the rid dysfunctional relationship between Jesse and his ex wife Jenn. It has gotten absolutely ridiculous by now. The banter between Jesse, Molly, Suit and Healy has gotten much better which has improved the books. The relationship with Jesse and Jenn, however has ruined it to where I absolute desp ...more
Ellen
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
High Profile by Robert B. Parker.

Two murders have been discovered in Paradise, Massachusetts. A body found hanging from a tree turns out to be a talk show host and the other murder victim his mistress found in a dumpster.
The list of possible suspects is unending. At the same time no one seems to care about these two individuals or their being murdered.

Adding to the stress Jesse's ex reported that she was raped. Does Molly have any concerns on this latest situation with Jesse's ex-wife?

This wa
Paula Dembeck
This is the sixth novel in the Jesse Stone Series.

It opens with a grisly scene in a park. A woman walking her dog comes upon a body hanging from a tree. When Jesse arrives on the scene he quickly makes some important observations. The man’s neck does not appear to be broken, his hands are not bound and there is nothing to jump from. This does not look like a suicide. When Jesse pushes aside the man’s coat, he finds the man’s sweater soaked in blood. The body looks like it has been dead for a whi
Mahoghani 23
How do you resolve the murder of a well known celebrity? The public display of death is suppose to be insulting but instead it's almost a shrine to Walton Weeks, the victim. Along with his murder was the murder of his assistant, Ms. Langley. How do two people who came to town together end up murdered and found in two different locations? Their deaths is so unimportant that no family members are heartbroken nor showing any emotion about losing them.

This story dragged somewhat and then it introduc
Monica
I'm hoping that much like Lynley's annoying wife in the Elizabeth George books, that Jenn Stone meets an untimely death. OK, here's the thing, I enjoyed the mystery part of the plot, and I really enjoy the interaction between Jesse Stone and his deputies, especially Suit and Molly, but I am desperately tired of the story line with his ex-wife. Seriously, it ruins what might otherwise be a fun read. All I can think is that Parker is one hell of a misogynist. SPOILER ALERT! He's created in Jenn a ...more
Loretta Gibson
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parker
I was really excited when I discovered Jesse had a woman in his life that he could care about, someone besides Jenn. Sunny is smart, capable, sexy, but not manipulative...I like her. Just when you think Jesse's going to break free of Jenn, she starts her same old selfish, whining, manipulating, poor pitiful me act and once more Jesse comes to the rescue.
I saw a parallel between Jesse and Lutz, Hopefully Jesse will wakes up before suffers the same fate.
I would have given it five stars if it had
Nanosynergy
What a slog. A high-profile, supposedly non-partisan talk show host (talk about fiction) is found murdered - hanging from a tree after having been shot. The other case, the apparent stalker/rape of Police Chief Jesse Stone's ex-wife Jenn just goes clunk. To assist, Stone brings in a character from another Parker series, Sunny, with whom Stone also has a "relationship."
Chris
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audio book on a trip. Interesting enough to follow, but not so much as to distract from driving. WAY too much "he said" and "she said" - literally. Not a very compelling plot and fairly easy to figure out... but, the length fit the trip.
Steph (loves water)
I thought this was book four but it's book six, but i t seems like I didn't miss anything. The book was weird with the Jenn-Sunny connection. I heard Crow puts in an appearance in book seven, I might read it.
Elyn
Aug 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't remember if I liked but since the next entry on my "read" list is "no more Jesse Stone" I'm thinking I didn't
Amanda McGill
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
For full review - The Limit of Books Does Not Exist

High Profile is the 6th novel in the Jesse Stone series, which is about a police chief in Paradise, Massachusetts. Tom Selleck plays Jesse Stone is in a number of TV movies, which I haven’t seen yet.

In High Profile, the body of a controversial talk-show host, Walton Weeks, is discovered hanging from a tree on the outskirts of Paradise. The case is very high profile and Stone is under a lot of pressure to either solve the case or pass it off to h
Abbi
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dependable Parker. Entertaining storyline through amazingly clipped dialogue. Parker's skill as an author included making the reader care about the characters and he does so here. Who wouldn't want to have a drink with Jesse, the protagonist? Perfect weekend or summer read.
Janet Cline
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Jesse Stone character!
Laurie Hanan
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Jesse Stone series and this one is no exception. Fast action, good crisp dialog.
Amy
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Harry Lane
For my money, the Jesse Stone series is head and shoulders better than Spenser. In this one, Jesse wrestles with the murder of a well-known media personality. Sheer persistence seems to serve him well on this case, and he wins through to solving it. With the usual distractions of his former wife and current girl friend and their woes to keep things interesting.
Michael P.
With Parker you can expect a pointless story, very readable dialog, and quotations from Shakespeare, most often not acknowledged. His books are enjoyable without actually being good.
R.L.
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Κριτική στα Ελληνικά πιο κάτω

I found this book by chance and decided to give it a try without having a clue about the author or what this is all about. Unfortunately I soon realized that this is some kind of police/crime pulp fiction, a genre that I'm not very fond of.

The book's characters are very stereotypical and the author's writing style too shallow and at times ridiculous for my taste. Too many puns and surreal dialogues used.

The main plot is basic and predictable and there are a couple o
E.
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the Jesse Stone series. I have read the first six books and I liked them all.
Spoiler alert? So why do I give them only three stars? Well, if you've read any of the books then you know about Jesse's relationship with his ex-wife. I really don't like Jenn and I get really tired of her being in the picture. Their relationship is ridiculous and repetitive. I get tired of reading "What's wrong with us?" over and over. I believe the stories would be a whole lot better without her. She's a liar,
Israel Drazin
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
High Profile is another of the late Robert B. Parker very enjoyable novels that I like. This one is about police chief Jesse Stone, the wise-cracking officer who was fired from his LA job for drinking too much alcohol and who took a job at the small town of Paradise and does a splendid job of solving crimes. The writing, including especially the dialogue is magnificent and funny. The characters are finely drawn, both the good and the bad people, and the plots in his books capture our interest fr ...more
EmmaB
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I probably shouldn't read these out of order, in that there are some details about Jesse Stone that make more sense earlier than later. I don't remember this much- strangely I remember how they were killed and by whom (and how he fooled the police examiner)- I think that money and the ex played a role. Maybe not too important?
I've never read the Sunny Randall series (and probably won't- how many Parker series am I allowed to read before my brain turns to mush?) but found the musings about caring
Cindy Ramil
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
In comparison to the recent Robert Parker books that I've read, I found the writing on this one lousy and lazy. Many people have already commented about the frequent use of "he said" and "she said" which I didn't mind in the beginning but it did get kind of ridiculous as I read on.

I've recently read a Sunny Randall novel so I enjoyed her presence in this book (I like crossovers) but I didn't really like her subplot. I guess why that subplot was included makes sense given the ending but I just fo
Bob Cantrell
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just Good Jesse Stone

The Jesse Stone series is just a good police procedural story. Sure it is a small town, but that doesn't mean it is Mayberry not by a long shot. Things happen in Paradise and when it involves crime then Chief Stone and his officers have to handle it. This story dealt with a double homicide that has a long list of suspects for Jesse to sift through and find the person or persons responsible for the crime. Then added to the mix is a crime that hits closer to home for Jesse. Hi
Denise
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I enjoy Jesse Stone books and I like listening to them on audio. In this book a man is found hanging in a park, but he was not killed that way. He was shoot and killed elsewhere. But where? Why? He was a known media figure with a radio show, among other things. He didn't seem to have any real enemies, not even his two ex-wives. Then another body is found in a dumpster. A woman. A pregnant woman. Guess whose baby she was carrying.

As jesse struggles to find even one clue as to what happened to the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover for High Profile mp3 edition 9 19 Oct 17, 2015 12:46AM

• Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
  • Robert B. Parker's Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Devil Wins (Jesse Stone, #14)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Poodle Springs (Philip Marlowe, #8)
  • In Pursuit of Spenser: Mystery Writers on Robert B. Parker and the Creation of an American Hero
  • Kiss of Death
  • Exposure (Last Chance #3)
  • Parting Gifts
  • Cinnamon Skin (Travis McGee #20)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.

Jesse Stone (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1)
  • Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)
  • Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)
  • Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)
  • Sea Change (Jesse Stone, #5)
  • Stranger In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #7)
  • Night And Day (Jesse Stone, #8)
  • Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
“To imply something,” Jesse said, “you have to know something. I’m just trying to learn.” 1 likes
“There were worse things than being in love with two women. Better than being in love with none.” 0 likes