Start by marking “Echo: Collider (Echo, #4)” as Want to Read:
Echo: Collider (Echo, #4)

Echo: Collider (Echo #4)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  400 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Julie Martin''s body is covered in an atomic alloy that has infused her with the DNA of its dead creator, Annie. Now Annie is using Julie to do the impossible - stop the army from activating a 21-mile supercollider guaranteed to destroy the planet Her only ally, Annie''s boyfriend, Dillon. Collects issues #16-20.
Paperback, First Edition, 104 pages
Published April 21st 2010 by Abstract Studio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Echo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echo

Amy
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books, sci-fi
A lot of suspect science in this volume, and it got a bit melodramatic in places. The good characters continue to be interesting, but the badies are as one-dimensional as ever.

The art is as amazing as ever, but some of the science exposition had photo-realistic images with clashed with the rest of the comic.

Three stars is probably being harsh, but this is definitely the weakest volume yet in my mind.
47Time
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-fiction
The homeless guy is a religious zealot who has it in his head to punish Julie for a reason only he knows. He overpowers her and tries to get her part of the alloy, but is rejected by a large blast. Dillon also confronts her, scared of her abilities, and gets gravely injured. She heals him with a hug. They both experience visions of Annie, so Julie decides that the answer is in the facility where the alloy was developed, called HeNRI.

Ivy is following the traces of their blasts. She deduces that A
Aaron
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Things really start to heat up plotwise in this volume, all without Moore losing any of the character momentum he's been building for the previous three. Everything that's been bubbling under the surface starts to boil over, we get some real answers about the suit and the HeNRI project and just what the hell everyone is hoping to gain here, as well as insight into Annie and her motivations before (and after) the destruction of the suit in the first issue.

It really feels like Moore waited the ex
Fran
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gosh. First, this opens with an issue that made me well up. I love the fact that Ivy is a mother and is also going all around the country with her Sherlock-like mind. It's fantastic to see such a positive female character being both an excellent mother and excellent at her job. It's not that every female character should be those things, it's just that these are the things that she wants to do so she can, of course, do them and there isn't any nonsense about it. So long as a person is doing what ...more
Ian (first person omniscient)

This is Julie, she is a damsel in distress. Unfortunately, she is also supposed to be the heroine. This panel sums up Julie and her actions to date. Despite the radioactive non-Newtonian liquid metal suit that not only protects her from a fusillade of gunfire but also blows apart anyone trying to do her harm with lightning, Julie still relies on the wits and support of someone else pretty much at all times. If the character of Ivy didn't balance her out, I would really wonder about how Mr. Moor
Amanda
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit the banter owns me a bit by now. We've got our main cast and we know who they (what they do, where they came from) at least in all the important ways. I love how Annie is never completely replaced and can't be, because of this setup. Which is so original.

And on top of it we begin to see the ripples. How the main cast is effecting everyone else with their actions. Those working for the corporation. What is going on overseas. How the universe, at large, is actually interacting wit
Andrew
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This volume gets quite violent, and (view spoiler) It's quite a good read though, nonetheless, and the midway point of Collider proves that science-talk doesn't have to be boring...in fact it may be my favorite portion of Volume 4.
Rolando Marono
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image
The good:
-The interaction between characers.
-The first person narration of Judy felt on point. A real improvement.
-Not so much action but it wasn't needed.
-The return of one villain.
-The characters felt real, something that wasn't present in previous volumes.
-Many revelations.

The bad:
-The villains still are unidimensional.
-The rhythm fails at parts.
Ian Wood
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Zedsdead
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Synopsis: Julie and Pam go to Ivy's, where Julie uses the Beta suit to help Ivy's sick daughter. Dillon and Dan get the backstory on HENRI and the suit from Will. Cain continues to leave a trail of death and carnage in his wake as he tracks Julie. And HENRI racks up a body count trying to cover its tracks.

Moore may have made his first stumble of the series when he had a scientist emerge from an experimental life-saving procedure with villainous superpowers. [roll eyes] This happened at the very
Arminzerella
Sumit Singla
The artwork is as good as ever, and the storyline keeps getting better and better. I like the fact that this isn't just hard science fiction, but has a deeply human and emotional angle to it too. In addition, it is nice to see some questions getting answered and others getting raised.

Also, good job with the humour, Mr. Moore!
Alan
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Terry Moore makes a very strong attempt here at writing humanistic hard science fiction. It is not only good to see him stretch himself as a writer, but I think he pulls it off. In addition, in volume 4 it feels like we are building up to a big payoff pretty quickly.
Jeff Raymond
Considering how much I didn’t like Strangers in Paradise, I love Echo. It’s really interesting, the artwork’s different, the story really catching me. I think I’m essentially caught up now and can go on subscription, but we’ll see.
Jdetrick
This is a little exposition heavy, but it's also got some unexpected surprises in it. The story continues to be amazing.
Celia
Dec 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, sci-fi
I don't think I should have skipped from the first volume of this series to the fourth - a bit too much story has passed in between.
Debbie Zappen
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
It just keeps getting better!
Schnaucl
The story is progressing, though slowly.
Mike
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creator-owned
Getting so good that I can't stop to savor the books - I'm reading them all back to back now and don't know what to say about it except keep reading!
Hector Ibarraran
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
So stuff got real on this one. Though I'm not sure if stakes are high, or if Moore was looking for shock value.
Sundry
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
It just keeps getting more interesting and compelling. Good continuation of the story. Already looking forward to #5.
Tammy
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
Getting harder and harder to put down.
Ksenia
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
there was a lot of science stuff in there that sort of went over my head. maybe Josh will "get it" when he comes to this part.
Susan
May 21, 2012 marked it as comics
Shelves: comics-trades, 2012
latest re-read 3/3/2012 - 3/8/2012
Penny Ramirez
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another strong entry. The frustrating part of reading something that is serialized is all the waiting for the next entry.... Moore's writing is strong, and his drawing is even stronger. Nice twists!
Ryan McArthur
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really good! Strong characters, a number of storylines (but not too many!) and past events hinted at to give depth to the story.
Mary
  • Invincible, Vol. 16: Family Ties
  • The Sword, Vol. 3: Earth
  • Powers, Vol. 12: The 25 Coolest Dead Superheroes of All Time
  • The Lives of Sacco and Vanzetti
  • Flight, Vol. 7 (Flight, #7)
  • Criminal, Vol. 5: The Sinners (Criminal, #5)
  • Angel & Faith: What You Want, Not What You Need (Angel & Faith, #5)
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 2
  • Madame Xanadu, Volume 3: Broken House of Cards
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 6: Warkiller
  • The Boys, Volume 6: The Self-Preservation Society
  • FreakAngels, Volume 3 (FreakAngels, #3)
  • Channel Zero
Following the examples of independent comic creators such as Dave Sim and Jeff Smith, he decided to publish Strangers in Paradise himself through his own Houston-based "Abstract Studios" imprint, and has frequently mentioned a desire to do a syndicated cartoon strip in the authors notes at the back of the Strangers in Paradise collection books. He has also mentioned his greatest career influence i ...more
More about Terry Moore

Echo (6 books)
  • Echo, Volume 1: Moon Lake
  • Echo: Atomic Dreams (Echo, #2)
  • Echo: Desert Run (Echo, #3)
  • Echo: Black Hole (Echo, #5)
  • Echo: The Last Day (Echo, #6)
“Has a confrontational ring to it, doesn't it? Like saying, the sky is rubber, or, your foot's a hippopotamus.” 1 likes