Start by marking “Regimiento monstruoso (Mundodisco, #31)” as Want to Read:
Regimiento monstruoso (Mundodisco, #31)

Regimiento monstruoso

(Discworld #31)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  68,135 ratings  ·  2,253 reviews
Esta vigésimo octava entrega de la saga de Mundodisco es una de las poquísimas novelas independientes escritas por Terry Pratchett. Sus protagonistas son unos humildes y anónimos soldados que viven enfrascados en una eterna guerra fronteriza. Una muchacha llamada Polly Perks decide alistarse haciéndose pasar por hombre, a fi n de dar con su hermano. En el frente, junto con ...more
Published July 2nd 2010 by Plaza & Janés (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Regimiento monstruoso, please sign up.
Mark Bright Actually, you might. Generally, I agree wholeheartedly with what the other guys say here, that it doesn't matter, BUT on this specific occasion I can …moreActually, you might. Generally, I agree wholeheartedly with what the other guys say here, that it doesn't matter, BUT on this specific occasion I can say that I read Monstrous Regiment a good while back having not read any of the others and really enjoyed it. Someone just saw it in a second-hand bookshop and thought the cover artwork looked cool so they gave me it out of the blue. As I said I really liked it. HOWEVER, I am now in the process of reading through (and absolutely loving) all of Discworld in order, a process begun in part by having read this book a few years back. So, I have just finished this book again, and have to say that I enjoyed it a lot more knowing more about Vimes, Angua and the Watch, Trolls and Vampires and just knowing that little bit more about lots of little references which whilst not essential to the story make it, I think, even more fun. So Yes and No! The brilliant thing is that I could re-read it as I have done and get the best of both worlds.
Ah, but now I see this question is a year old – sorry! You have probably read it by now and worked all that out for yourself. ☹(less)
Hamilton
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  68,135 ratings  ·  2,253 reviews

Start your review of Regimiento monstruoso (Mundodisco, #31)
Matt's Fantasy Book Reviews
One of the best Discworld books -- a fun take on sexism in the military

Check out my new youtube channel where I show my instant reactions to reading fantasy books seconds after I finish the book.

This book will go down as one of my favorite Discworld novels, and really surprised me as I really didn't know what to expect from this one. What I got was a fascinating story about a girl who pretends to be a boy and signs up for the military, and the hijinks that go into keeping it a secret
Nataliya
Pratchett addresses two questions here: (1) “Do you think it's possible for an entire nation to be insane?” and (2) Does - and, more importantly, should - a well-placed pair of socks (for 'certain' sort of padding) make a difference?
“The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.”
As far as Discworld series is concerned, this book can be easily read as a standalone novel. It brings us to the little backwards c
Patrick
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Five stars really aren't enough.

I think this might be my favorite Terry Pratchett book. I've read it at least 3-4 times, and re-reading it today, I'm delighted to discover that it's every bit as good as before.

As an added bonus, this book would be easier for new readers of Pratchett to pick up. There are a few characters from previous books, but they only have very brief cameo appearances. Other than that the book is pretty much self contained....

pat

L.J. Smith
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second most-frequently read of my favorite Terry Pratchett books, the first being Night Watch, which helped get me through the death of my mother. My latest copy of Monstrous Regiment is so battered and dog-eared that it’s falling apart. From sentence number one I was riveted and if you are wondering whether you should read this book, the short answer is yes, turn your cursor right now to a new tab and order it, or even better jog out to your local (probably half an hour away) bookst ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Monstrous Regiment (Discworld, #31), Terry Pratchett

Monstrous Regiment is a fantasy novel by British writer Terry Pratchett, the 31st novel in his Discworld series.

The bulk of Monstrous Regiment takes place in the small, bellicose country of Borogravia, a highly conservative nation, whose people live according to the increasingly strange decrees of its favored deity, Nuggan.

The main feature of his religion is the Abominations; a long, often-updated list of banned things.

To put this in perspec
Lyn
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yer mom wears army boots!

Men and women, women and men. Men without women, women doing just fine without men.

Terry Pratchett’s 31st Discworld novel, first published in 2003, is somewhat of a departure from the other series. We see Sam Vimes and some members of his watch and there are distant grumblings about Ankh-Morpork, but this is for the most part a stand alone about the small, proud truculent nation of Borogravia.

This struggling nation state is foundering after decades or centuries of warfar
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
There was always a war. Usually they were border disputes, the national equivalent of complaining that the neighbor was letting their hedge grow too long. Sometimes they were bigger. Borogravia was a peace-loving country in the midst of treacherous, devious, warlike enemies. They had to be treacherous, devious, and war-like, otherwise we wouldn't be fighting them, eh? There was always a war.

The Night Watch goes to War! Or, at least, that was my expectation before I started the novel. Only thin
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy, 2019-shelf
Re-Read 12/10/19:

A delightful Discworld read that dives head first into a little country's war problem. Well, it's not really a problem, per se... in fact, it's almost done. As in fini. Kaput. With them the ultimate losers.

So you'd think, with all the men being dead and all, they'd be more welcoming of a bit of some added support. And I'm not talking bras... or AM I?

A very funny book. There are a few coffee drinking beasties here, a troll, and even an Igor(ina). It turns into a kinda Hogan's Her
Trish
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Borogravia.
It is currently at war with Szlobenia. Well, Borogravia is always at war with someone. It has been at war with every single one of its neighours and with some of them even more than once. Why? Because they consider it their patriotic duty. Just like never giving up even if the only reason for their survival is that their enemy doesn't want to just senselessly slaughter them where they stand.
One Borogravian doesn't really care about the war. All she cares about is finding he
Melki
That'd been almost a year ago, when any recruiting party that came past went away with the best part of a battalion, and there had been people waving them off with flags and music. Sometimes, now, smaller parties of men came back. The lucky ones were missing only one arm or one leg. There were no flags.

It's hard finding soldiers when you're always at war. Especially when you're fighting a war that you may not be winning.

Eventually, you end up taking whatever you can get...trolls, vampires, even.
Theo Logos
Always read the one star reviews first. They often tell you more about a book than the five star ones. A well articulated one star review (as opposed to the “this sucks!” variety) is usually information rich. This rule holds true for Monstrous Regiment. I liked the top couple one star reviews for this book. I thought they made good points. I still gave Monstrous Regiment five stars.

This is a one shot Disc World book. Sam Vines appears, but only in a supporting role, not much more than a cameo.
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
Phenomenal, surprising, and impressive entry, even amongst a string of 5-star Discworld books.

This is easily the bleakest book in the series, and one of the best. It takes experienced Discophiles out of their comfort zone; new characters, new nations, new perspectives. It remains fully plugged into the book universe, with a plot tangential to Ankh-Morpork and the expansion of the Clacks system, and small roles by Sam Vimes as ambassador and select Watch members, but they are seldom seen.

The star
Kaethe
January 10, 2017
March 22, 2015
January 1, 2004

I'm fond of stories about girls dressing as boys in order to do something they would otherwise be prohibited from. Very funny.

Library copy
Ashley
This book was newly published when I first started reading Discworld eighteen years ago. I wanted to read it right then but, because I am me, I decided to wait until I could read it in order. Literally half my life later, I made it! And honestly, I'm kind of glad I waited. Eighteen year old me was smart, but I appreciate it more now than I think I would have then. This one has instantly made my top five Discworld books, right up there with a bunch of City Watch books, and Hogfather.

What we've go
Skip
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, e-books
It is an amazing coincidence that my 31st Discworld novel is #31 since I have focused on the City Watch series, the Tiffany Aching series, and the recent, more humorous books.

In this one, Sir Terry's prime focus on the follies of war. The aging but much experienced Sergeant Jackrum is recruiting soldiers because most have been captured or killed, even though his side is supposedly winning. Only misfits are left -- those wanting to escape their dreary or worse lives. So, he ends up with a vampire
Anna
Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett deals with several of the seven deadly sins, namely pride, greed and wrath. Also "lesser" sins like stupidity, ignorance, misogyny and bigotry. It's a wonderful book!

It's also very funny.

"Forget you were ever Polly. Think young male, that was the thing. Fart loudly and with self-satisfaction at a job well done, move like a puppet that’
Mareike
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2020-tbr
3.5 stars rounded up to 4

I audibly snorted more times while reading this book than I did during all my other reads this year combined.

Pratchett tackles a lot of things in this book – nationalism, war, religion (including civili religion) and how it can be instrumentalized, the Army, and gender (especially gender equality) and with most of these, especially when tackling war, the Army, and nationalism, his humor and satire are outstanding in the best Pratchett manner.

At the same time, some aspect
Michael Campbell
This is my third time reading this book, and I've decided that the few sentences I wrote last time were not nearly enough to describe my thoughts and feelings towards this book. This is one of the most genuinely funny and thought provoking books I've ever picked up. I've been thinking about it a lot lately in regard to it's thoughts on nationalism, and I often think the world would be a better place if more people read Discworld.

Nationalistic pride is just one topic discussed here, however. It's
Shovelmonkey1
Normally I would include a Pratchett book on my "clear-unparalled-genius" shelf but this one is not getting a spot on there. I've read everything that Pratchett has written (Discworld, Gaimen collaborations, plus the Diggers/Truckers/Wings books and other discworld spin-offs) and while this book is clever in the trademark Pratchett way, the story is less funny because it is closer to the real world than many of the others in the series. The charm of the Discworld is that normally its like lookin ...more
Trin
I didn't fully click with this particular Pratchett when it first came out, and I still can't count it among my favorites now. This is in spite of Polly being a wonderful and relatable character. But this novel suffers from of the structural problems that plague a few of Pratchett's books -- there's a fun opening, and often an exciting climax, but the middle just sort of meanders aimlessly, dependent on the quality of the witticism and shenanigans, and this book does not contain my favorite exam ...more
Meghan
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Ahh.. thank goodness for GR reviews.

Why, you ask?

Because I'm about to besmirch an author I adore. And I'm glad to be following in other footsteps that had a similar hill to conquer.

I don't love this book. I just don't. Mr. Pratchett has a gentle and funny way of adding real world elements to his books, poking fun at some pretty difficult moral issues. And yet this book seemed too heavy-handed, too obvious, and too repetitive.

Once upon a time I considered myself a feminist. That was before husban
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group in 2019.

The small nation of Borogravia is at war, and has been at war, with just about everybody. The mad decrees of the Borogravian god Nuggan don't help. Polly needs her brother Paul back to help run the family's inn, so she disguises herself as a boy and joins up with the army. Her squad of recruits includes an Igor, a vampire, a troll, a few other traumatized young people and a tough-as-nails old sergeant named Jackrum, but they
Gabi
Apr 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monstrous Regiment feels a bit different from the usual Discworld novels. Albeit being funny at times it’s tone is much more serious and it is not possible to do a ‚surface reading‘ here. I’ve been reading Discworld novels for years out loud to my two boys (now 11 and 13 yrs) and even though they didn‘t always get the underlying message they always went with the Pratchett humor. This time was the first time the younger one gave up and said that he didn’t understand a thing that was going on. So, ...more
Teri
first third was a slog, second flew by, last was grand.
Melissa McShane
My first read of the year! I have a stack of newly-purchased books to read, but all of them are rather heavy, and I decided to alternate with lighter reading.

Note to self: Terry Pratchett only looks like light reading.

I didn't know why I selected this one at random, except I wanted a Discworld novel I hadn't read to death. About two sections in, I realized my subconscious had been talking to me. It is deeply surreal to read a book about a young woman who disguises herself as a man to join the ar
Narilka
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Polly Perks had to become a man in a hurry. Cutting her hair and donning men's clothes was easy. Learning fart and swear in public and to walk with a certain gait took a little longer. And all so she can find her brother Paul, who had gone to war a year ago and never returned. Aided by a pair of well placed socks Polly joins the army. After all, there is a war on. There's always war. The nation is in dire straights, willing to take just about anyone for the war effort. Next thing she knows Polly ...more
Rosamund Taylor
There is no good entry point to the Discworld. The earliest novels show it at its silliest, blokey-est worst, and the later novels are often confusing and have a lot of cameos from characters in other books. I began my relationship with Discworld with Monstrous Regiment which is not a bad place to begin, but it's still confusing. I didn't realise how much work Pratchett was doing to unpack the sexism in his earlier novels, or how much he was making fun of his own tropes. This book mostly works o ...more
Carly
**edit 11/26/13
Born in the war-torn, misogynistic country of Borogravia, Polly Perks has grown up with the folksong echoing in the back of her mind. Perhaps, then, it is only natural that when her brother goes missing in action, Polly decides to use the song's example to find her brother. She cuts her hair, practices her swagger, and, equipped with a strategically-placed pair of socks, sets off to enlist. Of course, after countless years of war, Borogravia recruitment is scraping the bottom of t
YouKneeK
Monstrous Regiment is the third book in the Industrial Revolution subseries of Discworld.

The book starts off with our main character, Polly, transforming herself into Oliver. Yep, she’s chopping off her hair and dressing up like a boy so she can go and enlist in the military. She lives in a small country that’s always at war with its neighbors. Women here are not allowed to dress like men or fight. It is, along with many other things such as cats and chocolate, an Abomination to their god.

This
Suzanne
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, humor, fiction

I really enjoyed this - it was funny from beginning to end. And it also had some good things to say :)

• The Truth
  • The Arbitrator
  • Paradox Effect: Time Travel and Purified DNA Merge to Halt the Collapse of Human Existence
  • Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes: The Official Biography
  • The Pandarus File
  • Breaking: After the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #2)
  • Monstrous Regiment
  • A Gracious Enemy & After the War Volume One
  • Lost Mine of Phandelver
  • Fungi
  • Night Watch: Stage Adaptation
  • Death to the Emperor (Eagle, #21)
  • Trans: A Quick and Quirky Account of Gender Variability
  • Twilight
  • The Raven Ring (Lyra, #5)
  • Imagining Transgender: An Ethnography of a Category
  • Warrior: Monster Slayer (The Monsterworld Saga, #1)
  • 1636: Commander Cantrell in the West Indies (Assiti Shards, #18)
War
See top shelves…

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind, #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind, #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches, #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch, #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind, #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)