Start by marking “Lydia's Charm” as Want to Read:
Lydia's Charm

Lydia's Charm

Visit Amish Country during the fall as Lydia King attempts to make Charm, Ohio, feel like home after losing her husband. But is her heart ready to open back up to love when gifts appear on her porch from a mystery source? Could it be from the widowed father of four energetic boys, or is it from the man who has rejected romance to be his familys caregiver? When life hands ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Barbour Books (first published July 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lydia's Charm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lydia's Charm

Start your review of Lydia's Charm
Paula
After the death of her husband and the loss of her job, Lydia King moves to Charm, Ohio to help her mother care for her ailing grandfather. Along the way Lydia meets with happiness, tragedy, and two suitors who want to court her. I enjoyed this story of love, loss, and new beginnings set in the Amish community of Charm, Ohio.
Lyne
Jun 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Contains Spoilers:
I have read several of Ms. Brunstetter's books and at this point I believe I am done.
I think my first problem is that any book that has the death of a child needs some kind of warning. If I had any clue I wouldn't have even started the book.
My other biggest problem is how wordly her Amsih are always portrayed. We live not far from an Amish community and visited often when I was young. I have never seen Amish eat out as much as the ones in her books do. In fact in all my years
Brenda
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lydia King had only been married for 5yrs when her husband Jeremiah was tragically killed in a logging accident. Being the sole provider for her young son Josh, hasn't been easy and now it's just gotten worse because she lost her job, and with no family close by, her husband had moved them to Arthur Illinois from Wisconsin she wasn't sure what she was going to do.
When Lydia gets a letter from her mom, who had moved back to Charm Ohio to take care of an ailing parent, inviting Lydia to move to
Raine
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am touched by the fact that although Lydia goes through some really hard situations she is still able to keep her chin up and go forward. I was surprised that that so many hard issues where touched on- a mother who is distant and judgemental, not really open to change. Death, relocation, motherhood, accepting people that are physically different, accepting charity, sadness that stops a person from being complete.
This book like alot of Wanda Brunstetter's is a good book to curl up and get lost
Blackravens Reviews
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
AJs Review:

Lydias Charm is a captivating story about faith, unconditional love, community, healing, and forgiveness. Forgiveness in each other and forgiveness in oneself. Lydia King returns to Charm, OH after losing her husband and job, but more importantly to be close to the little family that she has left. As she struggles to get along with her mother and make a home for her son, Josh who is absolutely adorable, we learn more and more about Lydia, her life, and her struggles.

I was mesmerized
Drebbles
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
After her husband's death, Lydia King and her young son move to Charm, Ohio to help her mother take care of her grandfather. Lydia is not sure if she is ready for love again, but she can't help noticing two men: Menno Troyer, a widower with four young sons, and Levi Stutzman, the only one in his family who is not a dwarf, devoted to his family, and afraid to marry in case he passes the dwarfism gene onto his children. Someone is leaving gifts for Lydia and her mother at the times they need them ...more
Wendy Hines
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lydia King is a recent widow and is about flat broke. She doesn't know what else to do but to move to Charm, Ohio to live with her mom and grandfather. Her mom lives with him because he is very ill, and Lydia hopes that with the move closer to her family, she can re-build her and her young son Josh's life.

But when she arrives, her mom, glad to see her kin, is harsh with Josh and demanding of Lydia. Also, there isn't much money to take care of the bills and everyday needs. Lydia applies for a job
 Barb Bailey
I'm glad I read this book. Even though I thought it an easy read /romance and could project the ending, it had a few twists that I did not see coming. This book also had some good life lessons in it and I especially like the lessons on patience ! Lydia also prayed on most of her concerns and struggles and in time came up with good decisions. I was rather struck speechless when Lydia lost her son in an accident but yet again that was another life lesson, to cherish the ones we love while they are ...more
Babs
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Amish romance
I am enjoying the Amish books and this is no exception. This is the second book by this author I have read, and find it just as good as the other. Once I started reading I instantly felt for Lydia as she lost her husband a year ago and then she just recently lost her job. Her mom asked her to move to Ohio to move with her and her grandfather. Lydia's relationship with her mom is not a good one and hopes to mend it while she is there. More heartache happens, but will Lydia and her mom find ...more
Gilles
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paperback
My aunt has been shopping at the christian bookstore for Christmas the past few years. This year's gift is a new Amish romance. It is...nice. A cleansing of the palate from my usual saucier fare.

In comparison to last year's Amish romance, it seemed a little Amish Light. An Amish couple in the story went to Florida for a honeymoon. They have honeymoons? Did they fly? Did they hire a driver? It seemed odd. Maybe it was because this was Ohio Amish and last year's was Pennsylvania Amish.

Perhaps
Linda Bourg
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
I really enjoyed this book by Wanda Brunstetter. She has become one of my fav amish authors. This book had a really heart wrenching moment, i was in shock for a while lol. But it was also inspiring on how these characters leaned on God's Word and on God for comfort, and peace during their mourning periods. And of course i always love a happy ending.
Kara
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read!! This book should have a squeal!! Hope to read more by this author!!
Michelle Robinson
postcrdprincess
Dec 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Book Description:
Lydia king not only lost her husband a year ago, and is raising their 4 year old son Josh alone, but her employer has just informed her that they must let her go from her job because of the bad economy. What is an Amish female widow with a young son to do; maybe move back home with an overly opinionated mother who is taking care of her father?

Menno Troyer is a widower with four rambunctious sons. He finds it hard to balance working at his woodshop, taking care of his sons,
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Oct 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Sometimes there are certain authors with whom you just don't connect. This is the second Wanda Brunstetter book I've read and I just didn't like it. I read White Christmas Pie and thought it was very light and fluffy, nothing special. When I saw Lydia's Charm, I figured I'd give Wanda Brunstetter another chance, because the story sounded appealing, but ultimately wasn't.

I found the characters to be one-dimensional. Menno was selfish and Lydia's mother Mae was downright horrible. The Stutzman
Lisa
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
This really isn't the type of book I usually read but I wanted to stretch my horizons. Wanda E. Brunstetter is a well-known author of Amish fiction so I chose to read one of her books. She is a good writer, however, I never felt connected to any of the characters. She did not really let us in on any of the character's inner thoughts or emotions. We were simply observing the story as it happened. Normally, after a certain incident in the story (I won't spoil the plot.) I would have cried through ...more
Karen Mann
Oh my, this was a wonderful book.... It let me know that and remember of God's true love for us.... I cried, I laughed, I held my breath for these characters, written so well into a this story.... Compassion, maybe some anger can be felt in this story as I read it and kept reading it and hoped for them to be happy...
Anne Marie
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Wanda E Brunstetter so I knew it was going to be a great book! I loved all the characters and my heart was breaking for Lydia as she was going through so much tragedies a person should have to deal with. I didn't want the book to end and I hated to see that it was a stand alone novel.

Lauren Montgomery
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It isn't what I normally read but I really got into it and I am looking forward to reading more of her work.
Megan Rang
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Lydia moves to Charm her life is met with many ups and downs that all have away if leading her closer to God.
Katie
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Oh gosh, where to start with this book.

There's only one Christian Fiction book that I have absolutely adored - Redeeming Love. This is a genre that, to be honest, doesn't really hold a candle to General Fiction. It's hard to write good dramatic stories when morals and principles have to be involved. Sounds terrible, but it's the truth. This is why my expectations for Christian novels are low - like really low. That being said, this book was absolutely terrible, so much so that I need to rant
Kari Anderson
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lydias husband died in a logging accident, leaving her to raise their little boy in Amish country. When she loses her job as a waitress, she has no other choice than to move into her grandfathers home with him and her mother. Lydia is setting up a new life in Charm, Ohio. Things start to be looking up. Her little boy is her pride and joy (and one that you grow close to and want to squeeze his little cheeks and give him a kitten), she gets a job as a waitress, she meets a couple of nice unmarried ...more
Camille
I got this book to review from NetGalley.

Lydia has been widowed for about a year and she becomes jobless so she decides to move to her with her young son to her hometown to be with her mother and grandfather.

Being young and beautiful she is quickly noticed by Menno, a furniture store owner who is also recently widowed, and who has 4 young boys that he must care for by himself. She is also noticed by Levi, who works in his family store and is the only one in his family who is not living with
Wendy
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lydia King decides to accept her mother's offer of moving to Charm, Ohio after losing her job because of a slow down at the restaurant where she was working. It was her only source of income as a widow with a young son, Josh. Lydia and Josh would live with Mae, her mother, and her grandfather. Mae was a widow also and had moved in with her father to care for him since her two brothers had moved.

Growing up Lydia always felt as if she couldn't do anything right, her mother always corrected
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

Some say Amish Fiction books all blend together - but I say this one stands apart! I loved listening to this wonderfully read audio version of Wanda Brunstetter's Lydia's Charm.

The story overall was a great mix of "classic love story" with unexpected twists. Some of these twists were wonderful surprises and others were so shocking that I was in tears as I listened. I felt connected to all the characters in one way or another and even fell in love with the "unlovable" ones.

Not only was
Audrey Grant
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I did something new with this book. I checked it out from my local library online!! I was able to download the e-book to my iPod and read it! It is a wonderful program! I have missed my local library so very much being stuck at home the last three years. I can't count the times I have looked in my purse at my library card with longing!
Now,that being said! The book...
I LOVE Wanda's books! I love her style of writing, her depth of characters, descriptions of everything from the food, to the
Laura de Leon
To me, this book had a serious mismatch between the tone and the content.

I was expecting a sweet, gentle romance-- and in many ways, the tone matched that. Not much emotion came through, which was particularly surprising considering the events of the book.

The book dealt with parent child relationships; the death of a grandparent; the death of a child; choosing whether to marry for convenience or live alone; unemployment; the long-lasting effects of childhood trauma, and more.

Even with all that,
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new widow Lydia King moved with her son to Charm, Ohio hoping by being closer to her Mom could help with the care of her grandson. There in Charm, Ohio is a widow with four boys although he had thoughts of getting a wife to help with his sons was not a pressing solution. Another person in the area is Levi Stutzman who is a newcomer himself. He definitely has no thoughts of getting married. Into this triangle is a mystery person who is leaving foods and other things on Lydias porch since she is ...more
Molly Jaber (Cover To Cover Cafe)
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
I've been a fan of Brunstetter for some time now, and this is a reread for me. Lydia's Charm has been on my shelf for sometime and I loved going back and seeing the characters. The pages turned quickly for me, as I was engrossed in this beautiful story. Before I knew it, I was at the end, and wanting more.

I loved Lydia's character, along with her sweet son. They were beautifully chiseled by the talented hands of Wanda Brunstetter and really came to life with this story. As Lydia and her son
Lorie
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish-fiction
Lydias Charm by Wanda Brunstetter is the story of Lydia King. At the beginning of the book Lydia finds herself trying to survive and care for her child after the death of her husband and the loss of her job. She tries to figure out what she is going to do when her mother sends her a letter and tells Lydia to come and live with her and her father. Lydias mom cares for her ill father and she tells Lydia that she would watch her son if she found a job. Lydia did not have a good relationship with ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Lydia's Charm - 15th Feb Book 1 4 Feb 28, 2013 01:00PM
Loved it!!! 1 9 Jan 26, 2011 09:40AM

• The Tinderbox
  • The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1)
  • The Timepiece
  • The First Love
  • When the Soul Mends (Sisters of the Quilt, #3)
  • An Amish Wedding
  • Winter's Awakening (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #1)
  • Seek Me with All Your Heart (Land of Canaan, #1)
  • Leah's Choice
  • When the Heart Cries (Sisters of the Quilt, #1)
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • An Amish Christmas: December in Lancaster County
  • When Hope Blossoms
  • A Man of His Word (Hearts of Middlefield, #1)
  • An Amish Christmas Bakery
  • The Parting (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #1)
  • The Hope of Refuge
  • The Patient One (Walnut Creek, #1)
New York Times bestselling and award-winning author, Wanda E. Brunstetter is one of the founders of the Amish fiction genre. She has written close to 90 books translated in four languages. With over 10 million copies sold, Wanda's stories consistently earn spots on the nations most prestigious bestseller lists and have received numerous awards.

Wandas ancestors were part of the Anabaptist faith,

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...