Start by marking “Cardcaptor Sakura, Book 1” as Want to Read:
Cardcaptor Sakura, Book 1

Cardcaptor Sakura, Book 1

(Cardcaptor Sakura #1-3)

Fourth grader Sakura Kinomoto finds a strange book in her father's library -- a book made by the wizard Clow to store dangerous spirits sealed within a set of magical cards. But when Sakura opens it up, there is nothing left inside but Kero-chan, the book's cute little guardian beast . . . who informs Sakura that since the Clow cards seem to have escaped while he was aslee ...more
Paperback, Omnibus, 576 pages
Published 2010 by Dark Horse Manga (first published August 1997)

Start your review of Cardcaptor Sakura, Book 1
Lois Bujold
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: manga readers trying to grok CLAMP, younger manga readers
More in my exploration of CLAMP. This manga is aimed at younger readers, generally not my preferred level although anime and manga offer loads of it. But it's an earlier work which includes a lot of the CLAMP trope-and-character formations recycled into later works aimed at older readers, so is something of a foundation-work for understanding the often maddeningly elusive latter.

Magical-girl Sakura finds an old book made to hold a set of powerful cards, which have become scattered and lost; with
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 stars

There's a reason this story is such a beloved manga classic. There's a "chosen one", there's magic and there's a funny animal sidekick - which also describes about 90% of all manga out there, but Cardcaptor Sakura is covered in such beautiful and warm aura, that it shines through them all, still.

I adore all of the characters. I adore Sakura - she's kind and loving, and her relationship with her family is precious. I adore her stoic brother and how he always gives Sakura hard time, ju
Sue (Hollywood News Source)

I bought this manga two years ago when I started rewatching Cardcaptor Sakura. I grew up with this anime, and I could say it's my #1 favorite. It just reminds me of all the things that I love about being a kid.

Cardcaptor Sakura follows the story of Sakura. She's an elementary student who stumbled upon a magical book; her mission will be about completing all the missing enchanted cards. If she fails, the world will be in chaos. This series is really pure even the "evil" characters are likable.

O
Lukas Anthony
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series-debut
Trying manga while in Japan...

To be honest, I picked this up while in Japan as a simple memento as I used to watch the anime when I was younger, but flicked through a couple of pages and quickly found myself hooked, whether it was nostalgia or what I don't know, but I bought Vol. 2 almost straight away.

Things I liked;
- The humour, while it is that very 'cutesy' humour that a lot of anime features I found myself laughing more than I'd like to admit.
- LGBT Representation - Not only is the main
Cass Winters
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so shocked by this volume. I have been alternating it with a few other books so I hadn't been getting immersed in it, but today I couldn't put this down! I ended up reading over 70% of this manga in a singular day. It is so light and full of heart. It shows the power of friendship, love, and wanting to help the world. It reminded me a lot of animes like Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh, but with a much softer approach. This sucked me in and makes me want to watch the anime made off it so badly. This is ...more
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)

I love this series. Kero is one of my all time favorite magical beings. Li is so crabby, and both he and Sakura are adorable whenever they see major crush Yukito. Tomoyo provides Sakura with a wardrobe even a Kardashian would be envious of. While the card battles are fun, it's the character interactions that make this a gem.
al
Aug 19, 2020 added it
Cardcaptor Sakura is such a nostolgia trip for me! I love all the lgbtq+ rep this series has, especially because it is targeted towards young people. I think it's important that people see themselves in stories at any age.

Also, I just love all of the main characters SO much. Toya and Yukito are my personal favorites and I feel like there is more content of them in the manga than the anime series (((probably do to censorship))).

I do want to mention that there are relationships (not with the main
Lianne Burwell
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I've been a longtime Clamp fan, but I don't think I've ever really sat down with this series. It falls into the category of Magical Girl (like Sailor Moon), and is definitely aimed at a younger market.

Sakura is a normal fourth-grader who finds a magic book that used to hold cards (they look rather like Tarot cards). The guardian fell asleep and let the cards escape. Sakura found the book, so she obviously has the magic power needed to catch the cards, and each card captured gives her more power
Nora
Really cute manga that people of all ages can enjoy. I remember watching the anime Saturday mornings as a kid and picking this up as soon as I could get my hands on it. A light, sweet read with utterly adorable characters.
Opal Harrison
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I might have to get the whole series. Manga has never been my first choice, but with this one, i’m so hooked.
~Cyanide Latte~
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the magical girl genre looking to read a classic
Ahh, Cardcaptor Sakura! It has been many years coming for me to return to this particular series, and it's one that I feel holds up to my warm, nostalgia-colored memories of it.

True, I'm heavily biased towards CLAMP's works overall, so perhaps this review will be painted as such and prove worthless in the eyes of those looking for something more critical to be said about a classic magical girl cornerstone manga. (I know full and well how much the dedicated, obsessive CLAMP fangirls such as m
Weaving Fiction ( Sj )
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, 2018
Oh my goooOOOOOOD if you watched the show as a kid or love funny, feel good but with a touch of magic mangas. Pick this uP it’s AMAZING
Angela Auten
Yasmin Halliwell Fraser Bower
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I binged watched the anime a couple of years ago and I totally fell in love with the story, so now that I kind of forgot the details I decided to actually pick up the mangas and get into them.
The first volume of the Omnibus series has the 3 first mangas of the series, so it's kind of like a collection set in 4 books for the 12 issues.

The story follows Sakura Kinomoto, a 10 year old girl, that opens a magical book that releases the clow cards. If she doesn't capture them all, a great evil is gon
Cass -  Words on Paper
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cute! I must admit I don't really remember much from the anime, though I do recall having a certain fondness for it. Quite interesting that this manga has same-sex relationships/crushes, and it's actually deeper than expected. Luckily I have the second omnibus volume from the library so I can continue on with the series!
Mia
I LOVED this!! I used to watch Cardcaptors all the time when I was a kid so it was really interesting to read this. I watched the english dubbed version so I think some things are quite different. It's such an enjoyable story and I can't wait to read the rest!
Julie
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I purchased this omnibus for a book club and I am so happy I did. I vaguely remember my friend and I watching the tv show as kids so I was happy to read through the first part of it.

It’s such a beautifully “pure” book. The main character, Sakura, is a fourth grader and she acts like one which is so refreshing! (I’m used to Sailor Moon who looks like she’s 18 but is supposed to be 15.) Sakura is so sweet and she has such a cute crush on her brother’s friend (in fact, *everybody* has a crush on he
Wing Kee
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still magical but wow there is one issue that is too creepy.

World: The art by Clamp is beautiful. The splash pages and sense of power is amazing. The world building is solid and serves the story. It's not super complex but it is fun.

Story: I read this along time ago during the anime release and reading it again it does have a janky pacing which the show fixed. There's all the tropes and clichés of the magical girl drama but the layer of the cards and the solving of each card keeps it fresh. The
Anabela Matos
I watched the anime with my daughters when they were children and I had a good memory of it. However, the manga made me feel really perplexed by the cultural differences between Europe and Japan. Although this is considered for young readers, I think that some of the relationships portrayed here aren't suitable for them, since the age difference and the balance of power are clearly too much. They are presented in a way that normalises it, which definitely I don't like.
I find the art quite intere
Roxanne
Noticed my local library purchased the e-manga edition of this classic magical shoujo manga and could not resist re-reading! Beautiful illustrations and enjoyable easy-to-read story telling! Sakura is the perfect heroine (and reminds me of Usagi-chan aka Sailor Moon!), and with an attractive supporting cast - Clamp created an excellent series.
Kereesa
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Magical Girl Fans
Recommended to Kereesa by: Candace
Very cute and light. I do wonder if this series gets darker or if the happy-go-lucky vibe I'm getting from it remains away from all the dark and depressing stuff I tend to gravitate to.

ALSO THE SHOULDERS. DEAR LORD IN HEAVEN WHO IS STUCK MAKING THE SHIRTS FOR THESE MEN?
Nathan
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the anime as a kid, so this was a fun read for me.
kerrycat
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga
re-reading this classic is always a joy - and noting the inconsistencies and differences after reading Clear Card and watching the anime again is very entertaining.
Carolyn Klassen
Finished for the #cardcaptornerdyhowl readalong this week
Hannah Belyea
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Sakura opens a mysterious book in her father's library, she find a cute little guardian named Kero-chan who tasks her with magical responsibilities: help him capture ever single beast he may have accidentally let slip out of the book while he was sleeping! CLAMP begins this classic tale with tons of fun, action and humour that is sure to please fans young and old. How hard can it be for one girl to take down a horde of monsters?
Maxine (novelteafox)
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-read
Cute. I enjoyed it. Something light and fluffy
✮Octjillery✮
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, growing up, I never got into CCS, mostly because I think it aired at a time where I couldn't catch it after school or something, and also because, once I got into manga in middle school, I don't think I ever really saw it on shelves. I'd always wanted to read/watch it eventually, so I've been picking up the omnibus editions in between finishing other series.

Sakura is a fourth-grader/10-year-old, so I knew going into this that it would be at least a little childish. It IS, but not overwhelmin
Alex
The Deal: After stumbling into a strange book in her father's library, Sakura Kinomoto - a sporty, cute and girly fourth grader - met Kero-chan, the beast that guards the Clow Cards, and he needs her help getting them all back.

The Clow Cards are magic devices, created long ago by a great wizard, they were supposed to be sealed, but at some point they escaped, and now it is up to Sakura to find them all. Without knowing, Sakura has always had some magical power - which enabled her to open card's
Monique
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Dark Horse did a wonderful job releasing this series. The book is a heavy omnibus with glossy pages, crisp black ink and plenty of colour illustrations.

CLAMP isn't great with the whole narrative flow thing. They start their story in a bit of an awkward, fumbling way that quickly goes over backstory, setting up the plot at a break-neck speed. They're a bit too busy designing cute costumes for Sakura to plot out a solid narrative.

And that's fine. I prepped myself for a cute, silly story and not
Sammie
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Codename: Sailor V, Vol. #1 (Codename: Sailor V Renewal Edition, #1)
  • 美少女戦士セーラームーン新装版 12 [Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban 12]
  • 美少女戦士セーラームーン新装版 11 [Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban 11]
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 8 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #8)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 6 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #6)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 9 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #9)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 10 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #10)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 5 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #5)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, #1)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #2)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 7 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #7)
  • Codename: Sailor V, Vol. #2 (Codename: Sailor V Renewal Edition, #2)
  • 美少女戦士セーラームーンショートストーリーズ 2 [Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Short Stories 2]
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #4)
  • 美少女戦士セーラームーン新装版 1 [Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban 1]
  • 美少女戦士セーラームーンショートストーリーズ 1 [Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Short Stories 1]
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 2 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, #2)
  • W.I.T.C.H.: The Graphic Novel, Part VI. Ragorlang, Vol. 2

Nekoi Mick 猫井みっく
[born: 21 Jan 1969, Kyōto; bloodtype: O]

Igarashi Satsuki 五十嵐さつき
[born: 8 Feb 1969, Kyōto; bloodtype: A]

CLAMP originally began in 1989 as a twelve-member dōjinshi circle, but by 1990, the circle had diminished from twelve to seven. Of the remaining seven, Tamayo Akiya

Cardcaptor Sakura (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 1 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #1)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 2  (Cardcaptor Sakura, #2)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 3 (Cardcaptor Sakura #3)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 4 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #4)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 5 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #5)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 6 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #6)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Vol. 1 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #7)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Vol. 2 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #8)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Vol. 3 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #9)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Vol. 4 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #10)

News & Interviews