Start by marking “The Official Dictionary of Sarcasm: A Lexicon for Those of Us Who Are Better and Smarter Than the Rest of You” as Want to Read:

Why tolerate ignorance? James Napoli, the executive vice president of the National Sarcasm Society, has provided an A-Z guide to turn to whenever you need to set someone straight. From advertisements to e-mail, from materialism to remote controls, there's a witty answer for every situation. “You have been waiting patiently for a dictionary like this to come along. And now ...more
Published September 7th 2010 by Sterling Innovation

To ask other readers questions about The Official Dictionary of Sarcasm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Official Dictionary of Sarcasm

Nikki
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humour, non-fiction
My sister's stocking filler, which of course I borrowed as soon as possible, to do my duty to the world in telling you all whether it's worth buying or not. I'm sure you've been waiting on tenterhooks for my opinion...

Well, it's okay. It's a little funny, but if you're any good at sarcasm you could probably come up with better sarcastic definitions of various words that suit your taste. It's a fun idea for a stocking filler or something like that, but I don't have any overwhelming urge to run ou
Andrew
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
So where to start with this title. This was bought for me as a present and I am still trying to figure out if it was acknowledging my sarcasm or having a dig at it - either way it was a very funny read - but it is hard going in places - you are after all reading a dictionary with witty comments - some of them are very subtle and observant while others though crass yet still are capable of making me smile because - they are so true - the only down side to this is that you can see painfully who wr ...more
Divya
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
When one eats potato chips, it is hard to eat just one. Similarly, in this book, you cannot stop at one word and shut it. It hits the bull's eye for most of the words we use every day.
Dayna Smith
A amusing dictionary of common people and terms written in a totally sarcastic fashion. Ex: "Meeting: A business term meaning 'officially sanctioned waste of time.'" (Napoli 199). A fun light read when you're in need of a chuckle.
Andy Nelson
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m sarcastic and this book brings it all home. For those of you easily offended, well, too bad. This book is humorous and takes an irreverent look at ourselves and our world. Great book!
Tammielyn
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book, but I have to say ... my favorite part was the 'About The Author' page. Family updates stuck inside holiday cards would be a lot more entertaining if the author could influence the writing of all of them.
Haystack
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book at Spencer's of all places. And being a practitioner of sarcasm myself, I had to have it. If you love sarcasm yourself, you should get it. Don't be the only sarcastic person on your block without this book!
Pranav Sharma
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So Hillarious. It finally fills the void for the latest Devil's Dictionary.
A good read.
Nick Arkesteyn
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book to tune your mind to the sarcasm channel for those times you need it!
Amelia
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book made me laugh so hard, it was utterly amazing and filled my head with even more sarcasm. Simply great.
Roger Smitter
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very funny stuff--if you like sarcasm There's 385 pages of short statements that uphold the so-called "National Sarcasm Society." Here's three samples. Each was picked using a more/less random selection system--in keeping with the theme of sarcasm:

P\. 22: Ambition: Nature's way of preparing us for medication.

P. 148 Healthy: What someone eating a bacon double cheeseburger calls someone who is having a salad, somehow making it sound like the person with the salad is the one making the mistake.

p.
Nitika Karnad
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Did not laugh at even one definition. Too forced a piece of writing!
Helen
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, politics
This is a really funny book, with ironic descriptions of words we use in everyday life. I frequently laughed out loud!
Jerry Baird
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Great for all of the responses you ever wanted to have to post for facebook..
D.J. Desmond
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very funny, great to keep around to look up some words and see how the author jokes about it
Veronika
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hilarious! Such a great idea for a book, although there are some dirty jokes...🤭.
Tracey
a gift from a friend. not overly funny , a few gems in there .
Traci
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun. Easy to skip around. And of course, lots and lots of sarcasm!
Liz
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice little book to pick up a little here a little there...
Arra Abella
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
As I go through the pages, you'll see word for word with sarcastic definitions underneath. Reading each word and definition is subjective because it depends if you can relate to it or not. Also if you find it witty, funny, or not, which happened to me. I get a few words but with some, I just let it pass. I'm giving it 2 stars not because I didn't like it because I actually like the idea of it. It's just that there were a lot of dull moments for me. Most of the words are not that funny enough for ...more
Angela
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was a good afternoon read :)

A drunk walks into a bar, clearly shit-faced. The bartender refuses to serve him. Five minutes later, he comes in again through a side door, but again, the bartender refuses to serve him. A few minutes later, the drunk walks in the back door and again the barkeep refuses to serve him. "Man, how many bars do you work at?"
Cheryl
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars. Another bit of fluff that caught my eye at the Library Book Sale on Saturday. Some of the entries were a bit harsh, but some were directly on point. The part about lawyers, where it said that 97% of them give the profession a bad name was a bit of an exaggeration, I thought -- surely it can't be more than 92%. An enjoyable literary snack amid more hearty meals.
P.M. Bradshaw
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Worth a few chuckles, but not much more beyond that. Not hilarious, not even "very funny." A poor man's version of Ambrose Bierce's Devils' Dictionary, without the biting social commentary. A chuckle here and there, but it becomes tedious pretty quickly.
Jase
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Most of it was dull until you got to rip on the opposite sex ... repeatedly.
Amber Martin
Good for a few laughs but not much more. Living in a household where sarcasm is a first language I think some of this could've been better. But all in all it was fun to read through.
E
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Snort!
Anna
May 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult
Not as funny as I thought it would be.
Caleb
Mar 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor, z-2016-read
I received this book as a Christmas present and was disappointed with it. I didn't find it to be particularly funny or entertaining.
Claire B. Platteuw
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Funny but unnecessarily mean sometimes. Somewhat disappointing.
Brian
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
A chuckle about every other page, which is what one can expect from something taking it's references from so many different places and viewpoints.

• Downton Tabby
  • You Blew It!: An Awkward Look at the Many Ways in Which You've Already Ruined Your Life
  • Roads of Destiny
  • Diary of a Jackwagon
  • The Snark Handbook: A Reference Guide to Verbal Sparring
  • Boys Will Put You on a Pedestal (So They Can Look Up Your Skirt): A Dad's Advice for Daughters
  • George Bush, Dark Prince of Love
  • John F. Kennedy: In His Own Words
  • Cancer on Five Dollars a Day* (*chemo not included): How Humor Got Me Through the Toughest Journey of My Life
  • The Complex Infrastructure Known as the Female Mind: According to Relient K
  • Wie man Deutscher wird in 50 einfachen Schritten / How to be German in 50 easy steps
  • All for Stilton, Stilton for All! (Geronimo Stilton Graphic Novels, #15)
  • Vanity Fair's How a Book is Born: The Making of The Art of Fielding
  • Book Business: Publishing Past, Present and Future
  • Idea Stormers: How to Lead and Inspire Creative Breakthroughs
  • Men Are Better Than Women
  • The Everyday Writer
  • Coyote v. Acme
James Napoli is the author of the humor best-seller The Official Dictionary of Sarcasm and its new sequel, The Official Dictionary of Idiocy. He has written several other humor books, including The North Pole Employee Handbook and The Big Bad-Ass Book of the Zodiac. He is a contributor to The Huffington Post and is the creator of the Internet self-help parody persona Mr. Paul Maul.
“America: An ongoing experiment in democracy controlled largely by insanely wealthy people. And that's just the way we like it, thank you very much.” 4 likes