Start by marking “Mahu Men (Mahu, #6.5)” as Want to Read:
Mahu Men (Mahu, #6.5)

Mahu Men

(Mahu #6.5)

Mixing mystery and erotica, the stories in Mahu Men take readers into the world of openly gay Honolulu homicide detective Kimo Kanapa'aka. Moving from pickups to murders, Kimo surfs the waves of his professional and personal lives in a sexy, sensual tropical paradise, where danger and desire lurk behind every palm tree.The stories fill the gaps between Neil Plakcy's Mahu n ...more
Published March 18th 2010 by MLR Press

To ask other readers questions about Mahu Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mahu Men

Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
I'm not going to do the usual breakdown of each title in this short story compilation like I usually do, mainly because I'd just be describing the plots of most of them anyway. Since most of these short stories center around investigations, that wouldn't be particularly insightful and would just kind of spoil things.

I'm not sure that this would not be a good test read for someone who hasn't read any of the prior books in the series. This is a good intro, in a sense, because you do get to see Kim
A.J. Llewellyn
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Marissa Culp
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, gay, short, erotic
First off, I absolutely love the Mahu series. I love that it takes place where I live and I know the streets and the beaches mentioned in the books. I love the way the detective, Kimo Kanapa'aka, has developed from being closeted (even to himself) to mentoring gay kids (as well as other adults). But I only sometimes love the way his relationships go. This book helps on that score.

Mahu Men is a series of short stories that tell us about Kimo's sex life. There are a couple of mysteries but for the
Lady*M
Excellent collection of stories about Kimo Kanapa'aka. I'm glad I waited to get all the books in the series, so I was able to read the stories in the order they were meant to be read - some before Mahu Fire, some before Mahu Vice.

I like how stories connected to Kimo's private life - to both his place in the police force and the world as a gay man, his sexual explorations and his more sensitive and hopeful side. There are touching, sensual and humorous moments in these stories and they were a won
Jen
Darn it! What's up with Goodreads today? Very glitchy. It lost my review and now I have to remember it and type it all over again. grr.

I agree with one reviewer in that short is not Kimo's best length. He is definitely best read at novel length where we can get into the meat of the mystery and his relationships. I also felt that some of his actions in these stories went a bit against his character. For example, I wouldn't think that someone who had bad experience with being on TV would go out of
Ami
Mahu Men is a collection of short stories featuring Honolulu’s only openly gay homicide detective, Kimo Kanapaka'a.

It covers few timeline ... Some of these stories are from when he was just outed. Then there are also those when he was with Mike Riccardi, his fireman boyfriend. Those that happened after he broke up with Mike (prior to Mahu Vice). We get the story where Kimo partnered up with his current partner, Ray, for the first time.

Since these are shorts, some of the murder cases are pretty
Denicemarcell
the isbn on this book doesn't match any of the editions offered.
i'm reading the intro (surprise, surprise) so i'm like on -3, which the counter doesn't accept. am finding the story of Kimo's literary birth interesting.
good mix of mystery and sex; makes Kimo very real. i actually figured out the culprit before Kimo a couple of times. of course he had to proof their guilt, i just had to know they were guilty. one tripped us both up.
Kaje Harper
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, mystery
I love Neil Plakcy's Mahu mystery novels. I just don't think short form is his best length. Too many of the mysteries were solved by eliciting a confession, as if the basic concept was good and there just wasn't room for the police work it would take to do the solve the hard way. The erotic stories are well done as always, but a little isolated by nature. Look for Mahu Blood, the new novel-length Kimo book instead.
LDL
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
The anthology was difficult to rate. The first half of the book contained stories I really disliked. They didn't read well in the shortened format, and I felt that Kimo was portrayed in such a way that not only could I not identify with him, but I didn't like him much. The mystery parts were weak as well. Much like the progression of the novels themselves, The writing got stronger and the stories more interesting at the end of the book.
Suze
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short, short stories in the Mahu universe. Ranging over the Mahu stories they follow Kimo from just coming out, through his first dates with Mike, working with Ray.
A mix of murder, mystery and erotic stories. They are short so obviously the solving of crimes and misdeeds are fast, but I did enjoy dipping into these over a few days when I only had time for a quickie!!
Jan
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent set of short stories. I'm a big Kimo fan, so more is always welcome
Ig-88
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Blanditiis eveniet assumenda accusamus dolor. Dignissimos officiis quia minus ratione accusamus. Quidem ut excepturi.
Janka
Jul 02, 2012
Susinok
Oct 13, 2015
Neil Plakcy
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Krazykt
Jul 04, 2012
Gaynor
Jan 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Neil Plakcy is an acclaimed author of cozy mysteries (the Golden Retriever Mystery series) as well as gay mysteries, M/M romance and gay erotica.

A journalist, book reviewer and college professor, he is also a frequent contributor to gay anthologies.

A three-time finalist for the Lambda Literary award, he teaches at writers' conferences and can often be found walking his two golden retrievers.

Mahu (10 books)
  • Mahu (Mahu #1)
  • Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)
  • Mahu Fire: A Hawai'ian Mystery (Mahu #3)
  • Mahu Vice (Mahu, #4)
  • Mahu Blood (Mahu, #5)
  • Zero Break (Mahu, #6)
  • Natural Predators (Mahu, #7)
  • Accidental Contact and Other Mahu Investigations (Mahu, #8)
  • Children of Noah (Mahu #9)
  • Ghost Ship (Mahu, #10)