Start by marking “Girl Saves Boy” as Want to Read:
Girl Saves Boy

Girl Saves Boy

The first time we met, Jewel Valentine saved my life.

Isn’t it enough having your very own terminal disease, without your mother dying? Or your father dating your Art teacher?

No wonder Sacha Thomas ends up in the lake that Saturday evening…

But the real question is: how does he end up in love with Jewel Valentine?

With the help of quirky teenage prodigies Little Al and True
Published August 30th 2010 by Text Publishing

Start your review of Girl Saves Boy
Alexa
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Girl Saves Boy was a quick read told in alternating point of views between Jewel Valentine, a loner girl whose family fell apart after the death of her brother 10 years ago, and Sacha Thomas, a boy who survived childhood cancer and lost his mother only about a year ago. They first meet at the lake where Jewel saves Sacha after he tries to drown himself. After that chance encounter, they start to fall in love.

Throughout the book, it see
Thebookbutterfly
'Girl Saves Boy' by Steph Bowe is definitely a book that I have built up ever since I first read Steph's blog and have been longing to read for ages.
And it completely succeeded at all of my expections and more, because I loved that it was not exactly what I was expecting out of Steph Bowe, and was more heartfelt than I really thought possible for a YA book.
The book basically revovles around four characters--Jewel, True, Sacha, and Little Al. (Don't you love their names? Points to Steph Bowe for
hollyishere
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone (Okay, maybe not sufferers of Leukemia or girls with dead parents? but yes everyone else)
Shelves: 4and5stars
K.
Trigger warnings: cancer, self harm, death of a sibling (in the past), death of a parent (in the past), death of a grandparent (in the past), drowning, mental health, eating disorder.

Reading this for the first time in the aftermath of Steph Bowe's untimely death was a kick in the teeth in the year that is 2020. But I loved how front and centre the friendships were in the story, even when they're messy and complicated and uncertain, because that's how friendships are sometimes. It's a bitterswee
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
some books make me cry, some depressed, some makes me laugh and then the ones that make me hope. girl saves boy is of the last kind. you wouldn't think it, what with a girl who lives like she's dead, a boy who's dying and dead mother, brother, father, with memories, but stephen bowe makes it happen. she ends the story and leaves you in a wake of flitting hummingbirds of feels, each more mellow and melodious than the last. or maybe it's really just me.

girl saves boy is written with a vague sort o
Nomes
3 - 3.5 stars (I liked it)

Girl Saves Boy has a unique flavour to add to the YA scene. With it's quirky and off-beat vibe it's an intelligent novel that manages to convey hope among devastation and silliness alongside mourning.

The story is told from Sacha's POV and Jewel's POV.

The narrative isn't always linear in a sense of plot moving forward with scenes. It's got anecdotes and a running internal narrative of thoughts on life and death and the world in general. You know how sometimes you're thin
Steph Su
May 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: aussie-nz-lit, debs10
Fully of quirky, ambiguous characters and insightful moments, GIRL SAVES BOY, teen author Steph Bowe’s debut novel, is one of those books about which I’m not sure how to feel. It has its moments, but also has the inconsistences and leaps that mark it as the work of a young author.

Good things first: GIRL SAVES BOY contains the occasional passages that are so beautiful they’ll inspire you to buy a copy of this book, highlight those passages, and go back to them when you want to reread moments of i
Sofia
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it
The Spanish title made me think that the book was about something else, but it was obviously a mistake, the title in Spanish practically tells you the boy saves her but then when I read the English title I thought Oh My God, this isn't what I thought. So I bought it.
Girl Saves Boy is a novel about two Australian teenagers, written by an Australian author too, they both have problems, lots but they're teens struggling day a day.
It was a really nice reading book, it took me about 3 hours to read i
Deborah Abela
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
It’s not only the fact that Steph Bowe is 16 that makes this book so arresting. From the heart-aching words of the prologue to the quiet musings of two teenagers on a beach at the end facing an impossibly unfair future, this book is a rare treat of gentle quiet, big-hearted sweetness and great slabs of uncomfortable truths. Ten years ago something happened to Jewel Valentine’s family that tore them apart. She was sent to live with her grandparents while her parents’ lives crumbled. Now that her ...more
Marla Mei
Ridiculously unbelievable and it felt like the book was trying so hard to be emotional. Good writing though. Two stars for that. It was just the story's execution, I guess.
Hristina
What kind of a ending was that? What's gonna happen?
You can't just expect me to be satisfied with this!
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Text Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

So it’s taken a few days for me to gather my thoughts on Girl Saves Boy. Upon writing this review, three things have become abundantly clear:

1. Steph Bowe is incredible. I seriously cannot believe that Girl Saves Boy was published when she was only sixteen. As I read the novel, I was blown away by how wise and astute the characters in this novel were – almost to an unbelievably poignant level. But then to learn
Erin
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
I wanted to read this book for the purpose of it being written by an Australian sixteen-year-old girl. As an aspiring author myself, I thought it would be interesting to see another young person’s writing and especially since it was published into a REAL and ACTUAL book. I won’t go into too much detail about GIRL SAVES BOY since some of you haven’t had the opportunity to read it yet. Overall, I found it a ‘good’ attempt on the storyline and on the character developments, but unfortunately it jus ...more
Madeleine Rex
Apr 01, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
Can't wait to read this! I'll ship 10 copies over and hand them out! :D
C.G. Drews
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I confess, this isn't my typical style of book. A bit of a step outside the comfort zone. But there were compelling reasons for me to read this book. As in... the author is exactly my age...and her book is published. So, I had to read her book.

I liked it.

Sure it was a romance (no swords, battles, longbows or strange lands -- those are my style), but it was written exceptionally well. The prose flowed, the story wound together until every last piece clicked in place, and the characters were ama
T.J.
Apr 03, 2012 marked it as to-read
I haven't read this book yet and I'm kind of hesitant to because I take some things way too literal, and the love stories I read, NEED to have a good ending, otherwise it just destroys me.
Yeah, yeah some may think that I'm being too dramatic but, well, it's true. I mean, there's already so many countless sad things in our world, why write a book to escape into if it's just gonna end at a depressing point when we can have that in reality?
I'm not saying depression should be avoided, I'm just sa
Rebecca
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites, aussie-ya
I’ve had Girl Saves Boy on my TBR since 2012, but didn’t feel compelled to pick up sooner because it gave off a cancer-lit vibe. All I can say is, my bad! I wish I’d picked it up sooner because the blurb does not do this book justice.

The ending was slightly abrupt, but hey, life is like that, change with little warning, so it still felt believable. Apart from that though, I can’t fault it. I’m not a fan of multiple POVs, but switching between Jewel and Sacha was effortless. I enjoyed both their
Nicola Marsh
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm blown away that this book was written by a teenager.
Not because of the language or the way it was written but for the subject matter and the realistic way it is explored.

Sacha has a terminal disease and tries to commit suicide by drowning.
Jewel Valentine saves him.

Along with their friends True and Little Al, they explore a complex range of emotions in a beautiful, poignant, readable way.

I'm thoroughly impressed by Steph Bowe's debut and look forward to reading more from her.
Leah
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, 5-star
This is why I love Australian books and authors. This book is so unique and I love all the little quirky bits too. I love the gnomes and the lobster and all the references to Australian lifestyle because I actually get them! (Vegemite, Bunnings, schoolies - Surfers Paradise) Overall, an outstanding book by a great, young Australian author!
Catherine
Well told, but I'm partial to stronger endings. This one just seemed to slowly run out of huff. Having said that, what a stellar effort of a first novel from someone so young. Well worth reading.
Sven
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Could not believe how good this book is. Wantd to giv it mor than 5stars.
Emily Mead
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Steph Bowe was 16 when this was published - that kiiiiiind of blows my mind. The writing is absolutely PHENOMENAL and the characters are flawed but so real. I absolutely loved it <3 ...more
old account (rl)
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-read

I have had this on my "maybe" list for ages and ages. The description sounded okay but it didn't grab me - same with the cover. I kind of forgot about it until I saw it on the library shelf last week. I thought I might as well grab it and give it a go... I certainly don't regret it!

Girl Saves Boy is one of those sweet fluffy contemporary books that sweeps you off your feet without you even realising it. The story is both heart-wrenching and heart-warming, a definite "sad book" but in a
Jill Smith
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book written by Steph when she was fifteen. What a talent. I'll have a full review shortly. I love the way this story is put together. Here's the brief rundown.

Jewel is eighteen and just returned to her hometown after living with her grandparents in the country. She's a mixed-up teenager who blames herself for the death of her brother ten years earlier when she was only eight. She keeps to herself. She doesn't expect to go for a walk in the middle of the night to the lake nearby,
Em
Jewel has just come back to town after spending ten years in the country with her grandparents. Saving a boy from drowning was not how she envisioned a comeback. Not that she wanted one at all. But now that she's met Sacha, she's not sure how to hide away from her past. And Sacha isn't sure how to hide away from his future. But maybe together, they can figure it all out.

Thank goodness the blurb of this book doesn't allude to much because if I'd known about half the stuff in this book, I would ne
Stephanie
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm thinking that maybe Steph Bowe just isn't the author for me... There's just something missing in this book. Maybe it was how quickly everything was happening (within a two week span, I think?) but I just didn't really care about the characters. The writing was perfect, there was just something... I didn't like?
Lauren
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I was aware of the author's age before I started reading, but I'm not going to judge the book based on that. I'm going to judge it normally, based on it being a first novel.

ISSUES I HAD WITH IT:

1. Jewel and Sacha and True are horrible names. They were almost cringe-worthy.

2. I feel like Bowe has read a significant amount of John Green books, and Miles Halter (protagonist of Green's Looking for Alaska) is mentioned in the book, I'm pretty sure. There is a person with terminal cancer, a person who
Amy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
Priscilla
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
A nice good book but somehow I just couldn't give the 5 stars. Don't read this when you can't read about cancer or something like this
Emmeline
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, read-2018
This was a really good book! Also it actually made me full on sob and I don't think a book has ever actually made me full on sob before - definitely set a new record for me!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Straight Line to My Heart
  • Graffiti Moon
  • Jonas (Beautiful Dead, #1)
  • Chopsticks
  • JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Part 4--Diamond Is Unbreakable, Vol. 2
  • Fake, Volume 02
  • Le bizzarre avventure di Jojo n. 18: Diamond is Unbreakable n. 1
  • This Is Shyness (This Is Shyness, #1)
  • Bodas de sangre
  • Luces de bohemia: Esperpento
  • Noche de Alacranes
  • The Yellow World
  • Por una rosa
  • Strawberry Moon: La hija de la luna
  • Ma le stelle quante sono
  • Small Spaces
  • Wreck
  • Whisper (Whisper, #1)

News & Interviews

“Sometimes the hardest person in the world to talk to is your best friend, because it matters so much.” 48 likes
“She was too dependent on what other people thought of her, and that was her downfall. She cared too much. She was only what other people saw in her—-that is, what she imagined they saw in her.” 17 likes