Start by marking “Islam” as Want to Read:
Islam

Islam

the world's fastest-growing religion and may soon be the world's largest. In Islam: A Thousand Years of Power and Faith, renowned historians Jonathan Bloom and Sheila Blair provide a comprehensive and accessible overview of the origin of this extraordinary religion, culture, and belief system that often has been misunderstood in the West.In its first thousand years, while ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by TV Books (first published September 8th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Islam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Islam

Start your review of Islam
Phrodrick
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bottom line summary: A fairly good place to start if you have no background in the beliefs of or cultural history of Islam. Somewhat uneven because it was originally written as a companion book for a TV series.
_________________________________

The choice to select Professors Bloom and Blair's Islam: A Thousand Years of Faith and Power should consider that

1. It is a companion book for a Television miniseries intended to showcase Ancient Muslim history and culture from the point of view of Muslim c
Ann
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a class dealing with Islamic art and history and found this book to be informative and interesting. I learned a great deal about this subject which I knew very little about before this class. I found the book so unique in showing how each civilization has borrowed from another civilization in art, literature, science and medicine etc. and continues to do so today, we are all part of a fascinating world.
Belle Meade School
Jan 20, 2020 marked it as 900-999-geography-history  ·  review of another edition
909.09
Paul
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As per the subtitle, Islam covers roughly the first thousand years of Islamic history, from the age of Muhammad to the pinnacle of the Ottoman Empire. Although the authors state from the beginning that this is not intended to be a scholarly work, the content rides the line nicely between academic merit and accessibility. A reader looking for a more in-depth or rigorous study will be disappointed, as might anyone already possessed of a general background in Middle Eastern Studies. For someone new ...more
Owen
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, history
I wish I could give this 3.5 stars. it's an interesting book, dense but not so dry you can't make it through the information. the first portion of the book focuses on the creation of the caliphate and the Sunni Shia schism. that portion of the book I found far less interesting as it was a lot of then he killed these folks, then these folks conquered these folks, then there people were side eyeing these people.
the middle of the book focuses on the golden age, with its leaps in culture, luxury, ma
Dana
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book if you are interested in learning about the political history of Islam - that is about "Islam." I don't recommend this book if you're primarily interested in learning about Islamic ideology - that is about "Muslims." There's a lot of names and dates in this book, almost too much. I would have maybe preferred if some of the lesser players were left out with more information given to some of the more significant characters. However, overall this is a good place to start if yo ...more
Omar Hafiz
Nov 19, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The authors make a very dumb and irresponsible mistake by claiming that Abu Baker Al-Seddiq (radiya Allahu 3anhu) was the Prophet(pbuh) cousin.

So I'm not sure, after this really simple mistake, how can I trust them with the more complex details of Islamic history.
La Oxímoron
Buena introducción a la historia de la civilización musulmana. Ideal para romper con los estereotipos y aprender más acerca de una cultura poco conocida.
Mustafa Afridi
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clear and concise overview of the first thousand years of Islamic civilization.
Halik
Aug 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to the tale of the Islamic empire. Not entirely impersonal for an academic work. Interesting to read, objective and well researched.
Luz Elena

• The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin
  • Russia's Sputnik Generation: Soviet Baby Boomers Talk about Their Lives
  • Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
  • Among the Believers : An Islamic Journey
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • Gossamer
  • Islam and the Challenge of Democracy: A Boston Review Book
  • Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism (Revised Edition)
  • Silent Spring