Start by marking “Lifeblood” as Want to Read:
Lifeblood

Lifeblood (Vampire Files #2)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,145 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Here is the critically acclaimed saga of blood and passion as only vampire Jack Fleming could tell it. Jack Fleming was an investigative journalist in Prohibition-era Chicago until he got shot by an unknown assassin, bitten by his vampire girlfriend--who has since disappeared--and then became one of the undead. Now, this nice-guy Nosferatu has a bunch of crazy vampire hunt ...more
Audio CD
Published November 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Lifeblood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifeblood

Jan
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, vampires
Fleming and Escott return in the second of the Vampire Files. Fleming has been trying to find his lost love vampire, Maureen, for 5 years but his new romance with Bobbi has led him to give up the search so he pulls his personals ads from the newspapers. The absence of the ads draws unwanted attention and heck breaks loose when a couple of vampire hunters appear on the scene as well as Maureen's elderly sister.

I really like these books. The characters are very well drawn and the plots are intere
Sam
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one more than the first book in the series. This was more fun. It had a serious element to it but it had its fun bits too. I was either gripped to the book, wanting to know what will happen next or having a laugh. The vampire hunters were quite fun. Loved learning more about Maureen too. I really hope she turns up at some point. I really wanna meet this mystery woman of Jacks :) roll on book 3
Titus Hjelm
Jul 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Genre crossovers very rarely work--Twilight, anyone?--and although kind of enjoyable pulp fiction, this one leaves you wondering what the plot was and what, ultimately, the vampirism of the main character brings to the story. Too bad I already bought the third one...
Kimberly
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best vampire stories I've read. There's a little romance (it's really hard to find a vampire story that doesn't), but it is 90% very entertaining story line. If you like this genre, I would not pass these novels up.
Janet Windeguth
I get such a kick out of these vampire detective noir type stories. They’re totally different than anything I’ve read before. I don’t know where Elrod got the notion, but long live Fleming!
f00ssa
En francais, which complicated things somewhat
Cheryl
Lifeblood by P.N. Elrod is the second book in the Vampire Files series. The series is set in a gangster-dominated Chicago of the 30s, and revolves around Jack Fleming, a vampire, and his friend Charles Escott who is a private eye. In Vampire Files #2, Jack suddenly finds himself chased by a series of bad guys, and has to work out who is trying to kill him and why. There are some unexpected twists along the way, and overlaid in the story is the greater mystery of what happened to Maureen, the vam ...more
Jodi
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
The second book in the Vampire Files series is quite interesting. Sometimes it's hard to remember that the story is set in mid 1930s Chicago. The language is well done, it feels like a slice of time. This story was a little slow to get started. It takes place about a month after the first book, so Jack's been a vampire for a month. He's fallen in love with Bobbie, the woman he rescued from the mob, and he's given up on finding Maureen. But when a couple of wanna-be vampires hunters come after hi ...more
Bryan457
Jack is settling in to his undead condition, and trying to find his vampire lover, Maureen, who disappeared a few years ago. The search for her is suddenly complicated by a vicious old lady who knows all about his vampire powers, and is trying to capture him.

Not quite as good as the 1st one, but still an entertaining read.
Travis
Aug 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
One of the more tolerable of the glut of 'heroic' vampire books.
The mysteries are pretty light weight, but Jack and his girlfriend are likable, the setting is interesting and the duo of inept vampire hunters that show up save the story.

Good fluffy mystery series with very little of the angst that can drag down a vampire book.

Joel Neff
Once again Jack Flemming is deep in the middle of a mystery. This time, the still absent Maureen is at the heart of the mystery and Jack must fight off a pair of would be vampire hunters if he wants to solve the mystery of her disappearance five years ago. Lots of fun; good twist on the current spate of vampire books made better by the realization that this came out twenty years ago.
Brandt Anderson
I would give this one a 2.5 really, but did not feel like rounding up to 3 stars. The book captures the era well, but it's harder to enjoy when the supporting characters are more interesting than the main one. And despite being a vampire . . . the main character gets his ass kicked a lot.
Karen Fainges
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rereading this one as I am going through the series again.

Fond memories of the first time through, looking forward to new ones.

I think the best bit is that he evolves as a person as you go through the book.
Julie
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is kind of fun to read. I had the decade wrong in the first book. I believe now that it's the 20's. Lots of the dialogue is a hoot from that time period. I will definitely finish the series.
Issam
This book was my first real introduction to vampires back in high school. I remember falling in love with it immediately. Unfortunately, I hadn't realized that it was part of a series at the time, so I've bought the volumes to read them all from the start now.
Sandra
This was still an enjoyable read and I'll definitely continue with the series, although I may take a little break. It's great as an audio because it's fun and interesting but I don't mind stopping and starting a lot.
Kathy Davie
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1930s noir and a vampire with a heart who interacts with the mob.

P. N. Elrod is amazing in her depiction of the time period. You can see, smell, feel, and hear it as you read.
Twidlebug
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this noir style vampire series. It is different and fun.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
VG characters growing well
Dalton Lynne
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment. I look forward to reading/listening to the rest of the series.
Kevin Connery
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Vampire Files #2
Susan
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another great detective type story. Plenty of action, great vampire stuff. I like the vampire world that P.N. Elrod has created. I look forward to reading the next one.
Rachel
Murder, mayhem, and incompetent vampire hunters are following Jack. Sometimes it sucks to be undead.
Kimi
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was ok, but not amazing. I didn't really feel any connection to the characters or the events happening. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the rest of the series...
Arlene Allen
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I think this qualifies as historical mystery too...one of the first mashups?
Bud
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-paranormal
I enjoyed the two books. Different than the most if the others i have read. It was entertaining would have like to read more.
Emily Gibbons
May 11, 2015
Lauri
rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2014
T00zday
Nov 17, 2011
  • Blood Pact (Vicki Nelson, #4)
  • Keeper of the King (Ethical Vampires #1)
  • Ring of Knives (The Dead Man, #2)
  • Shattered Glass (Austra Family, #1)
  • Angel Souls and Devil Hearts (Shadow Saga #2)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • Path of the Eclipse (Saint-Germain, #4)
  • Paint it Black (Sonja Blue, #3)
  • The Dracula Tape (Dracula Series, #1)
Patricia Nead Elrod is an American fantasy writer specializing in novels about vampires. Her work falls into areas of fantasy and (in some cases) mystery or historical fiction, but normally not horror, since her vampires are the heroes. -Wikipedia
More about P.N. Elrod...

Vampire Files (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Bloodlist (Vampire Files, #1)
  • Bloodcircle (Vampire Files, #3)
  • Art in the Blood (Vampire Files, #4)
  • Fire in the Blood (Vampire Files, #5)
  • Blood on the Water (Vampire Files, #6)
  • A Chill in the Blood (Vampire Files, #7)
  • The Dark Sleep (Vampire Files, #8)
  • Lady Crymsyn (Vampire Files, #9)
  • Cold Streets (Vampire Files, #10)
  • Song in the Dark (Vampire Files, #11)