Start by marking “Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)” as Want to Read:
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons

(Y: The Last Man #8)

WINNER OF THREE EISNER AWARDSKIMONO DRAGONS brings the hunt for Ampersand—the monkey who could unlock the mystery of the male-killing plague— to its explosive climax, as the last man on Earth and his companions finally reach Japan and discover the truth behind Ampersand's abduction. Collects issues #43-48 of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra's award-winning Vertigo series.
Published November 22nd 2006 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Y, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Y

Start your review of Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
Matthew
Y the Last Man continues to entertain with volume 8. I am always glad when a series can hold my interest for this long.

This volume struck me as more of a transitional volume - lots of new information, clarification of some earlier plot questions etc. But, not really any standalone storylines that climax with the end of the volume. This was good because new info is always appreciated!

I am still loving the artwork in this one. Simple, but effective - reminiscent of earlier comic book art. Also,
Bradley
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-shelf
Fun discovery volume showing us China and Japan in this little hard-hitting dystopia of women, adding a very appropriate male android analog for all those sexed up women, Canadian pop-star Yakuzas, katana fights, and loving reunions.

No, Yurick hasn't found Beth, but Everyone's got something to hide, especially him and his monkey. :)

Still solid. Fascinating. I'm very glad to be reading this. Worth it on many levels. :)
Brandon
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix, fiction, vertigo, 2011
I was beginning to worry after finishing the last book that the story was starting to decline. Believe me, I was very nervous!

Vaughan appears to indicate that some time has passed since the last collection. It's easy to tell in the fact that at the very least, everyone has slightly longer hair. Yep, Yorick is rocking some lengthy locks.

It's worth noting that some serious stuff goes down in this issue. Which is a breath of fresh air considering the non-events in book 7. We also see the return of
Melody
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, comic-books
NOOooo I am almost done with this series. I don't want it to be over but at the same time I WANT TO KNOW!!! So good. I am taking my time with this series. Cherishing it as much as I can.
Shannon Appelcline
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
Slightly better than the weak vol. 7, but the comic really needs to kick into gear to have a great finale.

Kimono Dragons (#43-46). In Japan we get action, adventure, and tension, characters with their lives in danger, some hints about what caused the plague, and interesting dynamics between Yorick and 355. It's all around a good story that moves along nicely [7/10].

The Tin Man (#47). Dr. Mann's backstory is more interesting than most because because it's got emotional resonance. There's also
Darth
Dec 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Goddammit.

And so begins the slow decent into idiocy, ignorance, cliched writing, and really atrociously racist artwork.

So, a white lady is in charge of the Yakuza y'all. Because poor backwards Japanese people!

I saw this won three Eisner awards and I mean, like, thanks comics industry. Thanks for continuously awarding anything that at all upholds the stereotypes
Brenda
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Maybe it's because I just finished some amazing epic fantasy (A Dance With Dragons), or maybe I'm just not in the mood, but this volume just felt silly to me. Like I couldn't figure out why I'm still reading this series, even though I've enjoyed it for the most part.

It has gotten a bit stale, but there was some interesting backstory from a couple different characters here. The thing is, I've realized that I don't really care about any of the characters. Yorick could die, and I'd probably be
Adriana
The story is gearing up towards what might just be a very explosive ending. Ampersand is finally found, the truth about Yorick is out, Dr. Mann’s back-story is explored, and if that weren’t enough, we also get a look at what makes Alter tick.
Vaughan’s writing has gone back to the organized chaos that I liked so much in the first volumes. Events happen pell-mell, one after another, but they feel like part of a whole instead of glimpses of it.
Let’s hope it’s a sign that things will continue to
Bhanuj
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: must-read-comics
The past. The Present and The Laugh.

Just when I thought humor is slipping away, Yorrick strikes again.
Licha
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, graphic-novel
3.5 stars. It's somewhat difficult to rate sections of one whole story. Sometimes it's really good, at times I've become annoyed with the story or characters, but my interest in the outcome of the group and their story has not wavered for me. Yorick seems to get a bad rap from several readers but I actually like him. I like that he is not a superbreed of a man but a man who's somewhat clueless and has evolved in maturity as the story progresses, someone who did not ask to be the last man on ...more
Maria Kramer
In Japan, revelations await for all out main characters - but especially Dr. Mann. I like how the two female leads in the series are more than just accessories to Yorick. They are huge parts of the story with their own character arcs and pasts.
Nashid
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Things starting to come together with more updates on key characters, some brilliant origin stories, a new setting, the same dumb, insufferable asshole.......
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can’t believe how close we’re getting to the end of Y: The Last Man. I’ve just completed the eighth volume (I know, I’m insanely behind), and I’m still not sure how they’re going to end this series. I’m a bit worried it’ll be a ‘rocks fall and everyone dies’ sort of ending, but I have hope that it won’t end like that.
I’ll confess after reading the last volume (which was mostly full of short stories and not all that impressive, all things considered), but it seems like my fears have been for
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
At this point I've accepted that at least once in every volume I'm going to experience the urge to hurt Yorick in some fashion.
That aside I really enjoyed this volume. A fair amount goes down that has me pumped to see how things play out. It was also a joy getting to see some back story for both Allison and Alter.
Amy
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 - The action picked up in this volume (and the Israelis are back!). Having Yorick be dressed up as a cross between Alex from A Clockwork Orange and Michael Jackson from his surgical mask wearing days was a peculiar, but creative way to continue hiding that he's a man.
Kristina Marie
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2019
4. Fairly exciting and a few surprises, but time moves fast.
Robert
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hoopla
Tiffany Fox
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tays
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Is it just me or this volume has way too much science and redemption stories in it? It wasn't really necessary. The whole science tidbits and whatnot. Really, it's all over the place and it kinda confuses me. Like a lot. As for doing redemption back stories for the supporting characters, I feel like those characters didn't really need one. Explaining how they got to where they are now doesn't really make much sense, for one, it just kind of drags out the whole main plot. Vaughan is an excellent ...more
Baal Of
I keep hanging on at this point because I just hate leaving a series unfinished. This volume contains a bunch of backstory that seemed almost desperate, like the author was trying to prove that the stupid shit characters did earlier in the series, made sense in the light of these new revelations. But it came off to me as just empty. The Epiphany character was obnoxious to the point of being a caricature. The worst moment though, was when whatshername's mother (I can't even remember character ...more
Anja
3.5

Damn, what happened to this awesome series? It started out great and now it has gone down to... huh, to what, really? The story is all over the place, and it's running in circles. Another enemy, another treasure hunt, another "omg, he really has a junk", another girl-on-girl filler, someone lies, someone gets hurt... same old, same old.
The science, some of the backstory stuff, and the artwork rescued this one for me.
Josh
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I hadn't read any "Y" in about 2 years before getting to read this volume last month, and I was amazed at how much of it came back to me. the characters are extraordinarily well-crafted, all with strong, and unique personalities. this volume begins to unlock the Great Mystery of this entire series, and is pretty awesome.
LibraryCin
****SPOILERS if you haven't read the previous volume****
Yorrick's monkey, Ampersand, has been kidnapped and taken to Japan, so Yorrick, Agent 355, Allison and Rose go there to find him.
****END SPOILERS****

It was ok. The issue in the series didn't appeal to me as much as the others, but one interesting thing is that we learn more about Allison's background.
Samantha
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
swords, guns, blah blah blah. getting close to the end, at last it's not just journey across america (it's actually more journey around the world), but we're actually getting some answers to what killed all the dudes in the first place. it's looking suspiciously like one guy's personal issues.

Jessica
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jessica by: Rick
There should always be one character you can root for in a book. I've come to realize there is nobody in this series, least of all Yorick, that I like. This volume dealt with a lot of the pasts and childhoods of the characters - I still didn't care
Patrick
Well if the series wasn’t already weird it definitely is after this volume lol.
Rural Soul
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Quickest read in the series.
Joe Silber
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yorick and 355 work with a new ally to retrive Ampersand from the Yakuza; Mann & Rose encounter Mann's mother and start to learn more about the source of the plague; the Ninja makes another appearance; via flashback, we learn some of Dr. Mann's secrets; the Israelis come for Natalya, Hero, and company; we learn some of Israeli general Alter's past via flashback.

Kimono Dragons is a fairly action-heavy volume that doesn't delve into character or plot as much as some previous ones do, although
Adam
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile
  • Cinderella, Volume 1: From Fabletown with Love
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life
  • House of Mystery, Volume 1: Room and Boredom
  • Brief Lives (The Sandman, #7)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 6: Six Feet Under the Gun
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
  • Preacher, Volume 8: All Hell's a-Coming
  • Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1: Cut Here
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 6: Wild Game
  • Chew, Vol. 10: Blood Puddin'
  • Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 1: Birds, Bees, Blood & Beer
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 5: Unnatural Habitats
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 6: The Big Book of War
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Y: The Last Man (10 books)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step (Y: The Last Man, #3)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)
“Well, robots are, of course, the monkey's natural enemy.” 11 likes