Start by marking “Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive” as Want to Read:
Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive

Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  369 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
A colonial girl comes of age as an Indian captive in this riveting and vividly detailed novel, based on a true story. First-rate historical fiction with terrific classroom potential, this dramatic novel explores the role of women in colonial and Native American society.
Published February 8th 2000 by Yearling (first published September 8th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Trouble's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble's Daughter

Daplace1949gmail.Com
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: freinds
As Susanna Hutchinson is my great-great grandmother, I was interested in how this historical fiction would be presented. Ms. Kirkpatrick did an outstanding job of putting together facts as were available to write a story of one of my family's heroines. I enjoyed the story very much.
Abigail
I like stories about culture. It's why Clan of the Cave Bear is one of my favorite books. When I was in sixth grade I discovered the book Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison by Lois Lenski. I read the book several times. I loved that book. As a result throughout my 7th grade year at school, I read what I could get my hands on about people taken captive and adopted by Native Americans. From fiction to non-fiction.

Some books were better than others. Somehow, I missed this book. It took me a
Brianna C.
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Trouble’s Daughter is the story of a girl named Susanna Hutchinson. She has many brothers and sisters some of which had died like her father. Susanna’s mom is a person accused of witch craft so the family constantly moves. In this story they live in Connecticut by the Indians. One day Indians come to see them and everyone except Susanna’s mom is worried. The next day the Indians come and kill everyone. Susanna is spared though, she is then taken captive. That is where the story really begins. Sh ...more
PickyReader
Despite its length, this book was a chore to get through. The subject really interested me, because last semester, I studied Anne Hutchinson in American History. However, I was unaware of how she died. The first 3 chapters of this book made me so sad!!

The rest of the book, unfortunately, didn't move me so much because Susanna was a brat. Throughout the whole book, she was a complain-y grouch. While this was understandable because she was living with her family's murderers, it was a pain to read.
Annika
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The first time I saw the cover of this book was when I was finishing my fifth grade year at elementary school in the year 2012 in my home room teachers two short shelved library in the dark back corner of the room. Later as a celebration for the new graduates (next year attending middle school), nearly all of the teachers and several of the media staff set up an additional book fair. While strolling through the many daunting piles of books (daunting, really? I was so short) I had piled a several ...more
Breanna Fitzpatrick
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I just finished this book last week. And it was really good.

It was a true story about a girl who was taken captive by native Americans, and she has to learn to love them (Even after they killed her entire 16 member family). Throughout the book, the characters are built upon, the plot changes (Smoothly), and the ending actually makes you really upset.

The writing was well done. I really appreciate the author who can make a boring topic so intising.

I really enjoyed the facts and plot. It kept me i
Eden
Susanna Hutchinson and her family moved to the wilderness on land that was owned by the Dutch. Susanna longs to go back to where they lived before, but her mother can't be persuaded, even after she is warned about the Lenape in that area.

The Lenape come and kill all the Hutchinson family, except for Susanna. She resists, but they take her captive and soon she is in the Lenape village.

This is a historical fiction about Susanna Hutchinson, who was a real person that did get taken captive by Indian
Sara
Apr 08, 2008 rated it liked it
This was another of those books that proved to be awkward, similar to Habibi, in that the subject matter seemed to be inappropriate for the targeted age range. As a whole, it is practically identical to Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare, and given a choice between the two, I would definitely choose Speare's. Trouble's Daughter is the true story of Anne Hutchinson, the famous Puritan, and her family, who were murdered by Indians (except for her 9-year-old daughter Susanna). I found it int ...more
Leighan Herzberger
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Trouble's Daughter is the story of Susanna Hutchinson, the daughter of Anne Hutchinson. Anne Hutchinson is known for not being afraid to stand up for her beliefs even if it's illegal. Since Anne gets in trouble a lot the family is constantly moving. When they finally find a place, Indians come and massacre the whole family and take Susanna captive. It is a great story about meeting new people and how somebody you may think is useless can be the useful person to make your life better.
Shahar
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This story is about Susanna Hutchinson, the daughter of Ann Hutchinson, who was captured by Lenape indians. Susanna Hutchinson is living in New Netherland, what is now New York, on Dutch land.The Lenape are at war with the Dutch, yet the Hutchinson's don't know this. One day Sussan's whole family is killed by the Lenape, and Susanna is taken captive. Susanna has to learn to cope with her togh circumstances, and she may even thrive.
Katie
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a good book. I found it really interesting because Susanna Hutchinson the main character I never heard of but her mom Ann Hutchinson is a really famous person in history. I had never read a book about an indian captive until this book and I liked it. It was cool to see how someone can change so much by living with other people. I suggest someone who likes an easy read and historical fiction to read this book.
Brooklynn Scott
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I found out about this book because one of my friends found out that she is a descendant of Susanna and did a project about it. It was really cool to think that it had actually happened. But I was wondering about how the Lenape dressed. I thought only natives in tropical areas dressed like that because its too cold to dress as they did in New York. Oh well.
Jenny
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, historical
Susanna Hutchinson was a 9 year old girl with a visionary mother in 1643. Her family is murdered by Lenape Indians, who take her captive. She joins the family of the medicine woman. She slowly learns to adapt to her new surroundings. She has visions and is trained as a healer until her white family ransoms her back. Susanna is now torn between her two worlds.
Allizabeth Collins
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the best young adult books that I have ever read! Constant plot that had me hooked from page one, and so much detail that I felt like I was in Susanna's moccasins. Have recommended it to several people over the years and they say the same. With there was another volume that talked about her going home.
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 13- up
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this in the fourth grade,about 13 years ago. For the longest time I couldn't remember what the author's name was or the title. I happened to come upon it at the library just two minutes ago.

This book sparked my love for reading and is what has made me a HUGE fan of historical fiction.

Beautiful and real this book speaks.
Briannae
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. it has a lot of suspense and dialogue between characters. the book is about a girl named Susanna Hutchinson who has been kidnapped by a American indian tribe. when you read this book you will know how she survives with the tribe and if she goes back to her family. I would recommend this book to people who like action and suspense.
Allison
Sep 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wow, this book brings back memories. I read this SO many times when I was in my pre-teens, I'm sure the Librarians were about to just give it to me I checked it out so many times. I was very interested in Indians and Pioneering at this time, so what was one more book about it!.
It was a very good book and I would read it again!
Sarah Lombard
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
such a beautiful book. i really loved it and as a child grew up in the woods and sound area of that part of westchester county were i knew the indians had once lived. i loved all the parts were susanna learned to make pultices and learned all the indian ways. i cried at the end.
Leslie
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly, I had a hard time putting it down because I wanted to know what happened to her. I can't imagine going through something like that. The old grandma had many wise things to say. I would definitely encourage young people to read the book.
Nichole Baumgartner
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great teen read about a colonial girl who is captured by Native Americans after they kill her entire family. She is taken as a slave and this details her life. Historical and colorful, this is a great book to get kids into reading if they like history.
Annie
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure I'd like this book as much as other similar books. It started out a bit graphic and shaky, but it kept get better and better. This would be a great read for a group-there is so much I'd like to discuss with other like-minded people about it.
Miss Amanda
gr 7+ 224pgs

1643, Connecticut. 9 year old Susannah Hutchinson, daughter of Anne Hutchinson is kidnapped after her family is killed by a group of Lenape Indians. At first, Susannah refuses to learn Lenape or answer to her new name. Slowly, she begins to adapt to her new life.
Rebecca
Apr 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh
I love indian captive books, I've been a big fan of them ever since I was a child. This book was pretty good, but not long enough and not enough detail. Still, I enjoyed reading it.
A
Aug 21, 2015 rated it liked it
An interesting book about the daughter of Anne Hutchinson.
Not my favorite of the indian captive genre, but still a decent read.
Dapplenose
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
loved it
Tina Gettingst
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It gave insight of history through a young Girl's point of view.
Alexa
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I love indian stories.
Kim
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody, really
Recommended to Kim by: My sister
I really liked this book! It's a fun read-learning a bit about how Indians live and putting a young, white girl in the midst of them for a long time. I really enjoyed reading it.
Amanda Wel
Native Americans (Lenape tribe), 1640s
E.
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book made me want to be an Indian captive, that's how good it was.
I Loved this Book 2 6 Sep 24, 2011 12:21PM
  • Where the Broken Heart Still Beats: The Story of Cynthia Ann Parker
  • A Stolen Life
  • The Lyon's Roar
  • Sister to the Wolf
  • Frozen Summer (Remembrance "Mem" Nye #2)
  • Enemy in the Fort (American Girl History Mysteries, #13)
  • Women's Indian Captivity Narratives