Start by marking “The Complete Photographer” as Want to Read:

The Complete Photographer

Following on from the success of Tom Ang's Digital Photography Masterclass, The Complete Photographer expands on the genre section of that title to provide a thorough grounding in ten of the most popular fields of photography. It encourages you to explore every discipline and experiment with different approaches, hone your skills, and find your own personal style.

There a
Published July 19th 2010 by DK (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Photographer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Photographer

Deon Bester
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a def must in your collection if you are serious about your photography
Robin
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
A fantastic book that gives some great tips on how to take different types of pictures. Very interesting pictures and tutorials that have taught me a lot.
Linda
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Good for overview into several topics (fashion, landscrape, sports, travel, architecture, etc.). Good viewpoints but maybe too basic.
Dimitra
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
By far the most awesome book about photography, that I have read so far!

It analyzes brilliantly almost every field of photography.
From fashion to architecture, from portrait to fine art etc.
It has so many photos to get inspired from and interviews of photographers specialized in each field.
In every chapter there are 2 photos that get analyzed thoroughly and information about techniques of retouching and photographing.

I am really REALLY amazed! It was a wonderful read that tought me A LOT and I
Maui Rochell
It took me some time to finish this book because I don't really have time to read. I can only read when I'm in the train.
But I'm glad I finally read this! It's the first photography book that I've been wanting to read ever since and yes, the book didn't fail my expectations. It tackled about different genres of photography from tips, tutorials and testimonies of the well-talented photographers from all over the world!
Cocoa
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves photography and is interested in learning more or be inspired.
Recommended to Cocoa by: I saw it in the library after seeing it in WH Smiths.
A fantastic guide to photography exploring every dimension of the art. I found it helpful and inspiring, my favourite photo remains the one of the wedding morning with the page boy eating crisps, the mother of the bride to be with curlers in her hair ironing the creased Brides dress. I loved it so much. I just wish it had been written mostly with black ink on white as reading reverse out gives me headaches and I didn't buy the book for this reason, All in all though, a fantastic book.
Kathleen Messmer
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read a few of Tom Ang's books and overall they speak to the worries and doubts in all photographers, indeed, artists in general. He addresses many, if not all genres and gives practical advice in each. I find it refreshing that he interviews photographers from all over the world and debunks the belief that you must have studied photography formally to be any good. Some of us did, some of us didn't. What matters most is our artistic journey.
Freda Mans-Labianca
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for photographers of all levels. It has great tips for catching the best shots, and also shows how to be more creative with your camera.
Beautiful photos illustrate the book, showing descriptions of all the techniques used.
A really great find for any photo enthusiast.
Cindy
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have checked this book out twice in the last two months. It's one of my favorite books. Tom Ang's work falls under the good stuff category for me as far as photography books go. I plan on getting it for my personal shelf at home.
G-E
Probablement un très bon livre pour les gens qui explore la photographie pour les premières fois. Point positif : il touche à tous les aspects de la photographie. Si vous avez des études en ce domaine, il ne vous apprendra probablement pas grand-chose.
Hapzydeco
Oct 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
While not earth shattering, Ang's book will provide the amateur with worthwhile projects.
Devin
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
A general introduction to photography book. I especially enjoyed the Behind the Scenes sections where they follow a photographer during a day of shooting.
Grace Ardiente
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I remembered how I humbly convinced my mother to buy this book for me. Which was worth our one week food. Nevertheless it was all worth it, every dish.
Vijaya Raghava
Ben Scott

These books on photography are so tricky this ones well illustrated and great when it wprks
Sky Chitchot
Mar 14, 2017
Rittwik Giri
Dec 24, 2013
Marc-André
rated it did not like it
Dec 07, 2014

• On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • Vision & Voice: Refining Your Vision in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
  • Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography
  • The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography, Book 1 (Ansel Adams Guide to the Basic Techniques of Photography, #1)
  • Adobe Photoshop CS5 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
  • Sketching Light: An Illustrated Tour of the Possibilities of Flash
  • The New Manual of Photography
  • The Joy Project: A True Story of Inescapable Happiness
  • In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Portraits
  • The Majesty of Calmness
Photographer, author, traveller and academic. A specialist in travel and digital photography, he has photographed extensively in Central Asia. He won the Thomas Cook award for best Illustrated Travel Book for his coverage of the Marco Polo Expedition.

Ang was senior lecturer in photographic practice at the University of Westminster for over 12 years (1991–2004) and created the MA Photographic Journ