Start by marking “This Isn't What It Looks Like (Secret, #4)” as Want to Read:
This Isn't What It Looks Like (Secret, #4)

This Isn't What It Looks Like

(Secret #4)

The Secret Series continues in this dangerous and daring fourth adventure.

Cass finds herself alone and disoriented, a stranger in a dream-like, medieval world. Where is she? Who is she? With the help of a long-lost relative, she begins to uncover clues and secrets--piecing together her family's history as she fights her way back to the present world.

Meanwhile, back home,
Hardcover, First, 423 pages
Published September 21st 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about This Isn't What It Looks Like, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Hajra Well I think it meant, that basically the seer had the same name as 'Cass' so when 'Cass' heard her name being said, she felt that she knew the name…moreWell I think it meant, that basically the seer had the same name as 'Cass' so when 'Cass' heard her name being said, she felt that she knew the name so well cuz after all its her name. (less)
Hajra Yup there is another book. (You probably already know this right now though, lol)

Samantha Diaz
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book that I just finished is called This Isn't What it Looks Like by Pseudonymous Bosch. It’s about a girl name Cassandra, but everyone calls her Cass. Cass goes on wild mission to find the secret from the Jester. She uses a “Time Chocolate” to make her go back in time to know the secret. This makes her go into a coma, which makes Max-Ernest go and visit her in the PICU section. While Cass is in the coma, Max-Ernest finds some solution to help Cass come back to life. This adventure is an ex ...more
Nerissa
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
It sure isn't what it looks like.
NerdyJediGymnast
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bruh Im so sorry

I've been saying RTC forEVER now. But I PROMISE you. Once I find time, I WILL write them all!

So I say hesitantly:

RTC
Caitlin L
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recently finished, "This Isn't What It Looks Like" by: Pseudonymous Bosch, the 4th book in the secret series. This book is told from two points of view, the survivalist girl, Cass and her trustworthy partner, Mas-Ernest. Cass ate a piece of Time Travel Chocolate and now she's been taken back to the medieval times of the Jester, her only known ancestor. Cass must find The Secret, it's her mission! Meanwhile, Max-Ernest is trying to get Cass out of her coma, before it's too late.
This book is
Alyssa
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I have one more book left of this series! This book was even better than the last one! Cass is just about to find out the secret! Ugh! This series is unbelievably amazing! If anybody is looking for books to read I suggest these ones! I also cap't wait to find out the secret! Yay!
Rachael
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can read my review on my blog here (& below):

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE PREVIOUS BOOKS IN THIS SERIES

'This Isn’t What it Looks Like' is the fourth book in the middle-grade ‘Secret Series’ by Pseudonymous Bosch. These books follow the adventures of three young members of the Terces Society, a secret organisation whose job it is to keep the Secret (to immortality) from getting into the wrong hands. On three previous occasions these childre
Beth G.
The fourth book in the series that began with The Name of This Book is Secret picks up where the third volume left off. In the early chapters, narrator Bosch splits attention between two stories: one is about a girl who wakes up in what appears to be a medieval European village unable to remember who she is, where she is, how she got there, or why she happens to be invisible; the other is about Max-Ernest, who is desperately trying to awaken his friend Cass, who has been in a strange sort of com ...more
Amy
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read the book This Isn't What it Looks Like. This book is really great!!!! This book is the fourth book in the Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch. The genre is fiction. This is a really great book if you like mystery. This book takes place in modern time but also during medieval times. I think the author of this book is really great b/c in the book he talks to you. I think a lot of people will like this book it has a lot of action and for me it was a page turner!! Throughout the book your on ...more
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

Short and Simple Review
Other reviewers found this one to be lacking compared to the other books. I can see why because Cass is wondering in time, but unconscious in our time. Meanwhile, Max-Ernest is trying to figure out how to save her. This does sound a bit boring, but I actually really liked this one. It was actually my favorite one so far. I love time travel, so I liked seeing that come into play. It was also interesting seeing the
haley
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Summary: In this fourth installment of the Secret Series, Cass is stuck in the Medieval Ages on a mission to find the Secret (having learned she was the Secret Keeper) while Max-Ernest is on a desperate mission to bring her back. Complications arise when Max-Ernest's parents begin acting strangely, and an old classmate comes back, suspiciously different. Can Max-Ernest save Cass? Or will Cass forever be stuck in the Middle Ages?

My thoughts (Note: This review is for the whole series):
I LOVE THE S
Natasha Rose
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!I love this book,it's one of my favourites,but I didn't see as much from Yo-Yoji as I might have wanted,but I'll try to be forgiving this on time ;).
I particually enjoyed the footnotes of this volume,and also the story of how PB got rid of THE PEA(!),and almost drowned in mayonnaise(I'm sorry, I haven't got a idea on how to spell that word :0).
Followers of the series will enjoy this fresh read ( I assume because I am & did ),and will surely love the wonderfull humor of Pseudonymous B
annyeongbada
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm getting closer! :) Yayyyyy!!!!!!
Rashika (is tired)
This was sadly not one of the better additions to the story but never the less, it was quite enjoyable!
Cristi-Lael
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
A nice addition to this great middle grade series.
Newton Witter
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is not really my favorite book in the Secret series, but it is still really good. The plot is very well developed, and there are even negative chapters when cass goes back in time!
Rick Stuckwisch
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such great fun! Such a great series! An exciting story, refreshingly creative, with interesting and well-developed characters, and all delightfully written. Yet, each book is wonderfully distinct. Lovin' it!
Rogerio
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book we will have a good development and the background of the Terces Society and the Midnight sun becomes more developped. I also like very the characters development. There are a few surprises in the end.
***spoiler***
After book 3 and the Tuning Fork antidote, Cass is in a coma, having eaten the chocolate to have access to the Secret presumably from a distant past. The Tuning Fork antidote does not work and Max-Ernst is in a panic. Cass meanwhile is travelling to the past and meeting th
Jun Wong
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As Clear as a Crystal

The Author, Pseudonymous Bosch, of "This isn't What it Looks Like" has a writing style of comedy, but mixed with an aurora of mysteriousness. Pseudonymous Bosch keeps a shroud of mystery between his identity, along with many fourth wall breaks when he inserts his own dialogue, sort of like a commentary throughout the books. He talks to the readers, giving off a maniac vibe in my opinion, yet maintaining sanity. The writing of Bosch is clear as he manages to stay on track wi
Book Whales
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Originally posted @ Book Whales

We are on the penultimate book of the Secret Series. :D
To tell you honestly I finished this books 3 weeks ago and I just forgot to make a review out of it. But finally here it is :D

Out of the 4 books I read the problem I have with this books is that maybe I got used to the writing style of the author and the magic is lost for me. The plot itself for this books is very important to the story since it explains a lot about the history of the Jester and Lord Pharaoh wi
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this directly after reading the third one, which is not something I usually do. When I read a series I like to read two or more books in between so that I don’t feel the books get too same-y. But this time I really wanted to keep reading this mystery series seeing as the previous book ended on such a cliffhanger.

Our familiar trio of Cassandra, Max-Ernest and Yo-Yoji return in this book with some new characters in tow, like Daniel-Not-Danielle, the Glob, the Jester and Anastasia as well.
Melanie
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one! The previous novels in the series were good, but not real page-turners for me. But this one really hit the sweet spot in terms of pacing and plotting. I loved the setup with the negative chapters eventually hitting chapter zero. All the plot elements tied together very nicely.
(view spoiler)
Laura Phelps
In this fourth installment of the secret series, Cass and Max-Earnest are separated by time and place... in a way. Cass is stuck in the past searching for The Secret, but she's also in a coma in the present, and it's Max-Earnest's job to save her. For whatever reason, though, he can't.

I read the first three books of this series, The Name of the Book is Secret, If You're Reading This, It's Too Late, and This Book Is Not Good For You, in middle school, and I thrilled when I saw this at the store.
Kelli
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm..well, let me just suggest something. If you really want to read this book, go and buy the paperback, DO NOT GET IT ON KINDLE/NOOK. That was my mistake. There were some things that you would need to go to the back of the book, or to the beginning, and it was annoying to have to find what you were looking for (i.e. Yo-Yoji's email to Max-Ernest) tons of times (and not to mention, it's can be quite slow) when if you just got the paperback, you could flip to the back of the book. And also, when ...more
Eriel Kiersten
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, sets, fantasy
Every next chapter = Better story

Cass wanted to find out about her past so what better way than with the chocolate Senor Hugo gave her? Whatever was in the chocolate, it took her somewhere to find about the past better than anyone who ever did; because she went to the past herself. She met her ancestors, Lord Pharaoh and the Humonculus (again and helped her again). The problem was, while she was travelling unsconsciously, consciously she was in a coma. Was she ever going to get back to her own t
Madison Simon
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this fourth installment of The Secret Series, Cass is in a coma in a hospital and Max-Ernest is alone since Yo-Yoji is in Japan. Max-Ernest knows that Cass ate the time-travel chocolate, but he doesn't know how to get her back in to the present. Meanwhile, Cass is in a medieval time, with no memory of anything from before she appeared in this new place, searching for her ancestor, The Jester. She is invisible and is armed with an odd double-monocle from a Seer named Cassandra (who goes by Cla ...more
Simone Sylvester
This book might've been one of the best. Next to the first one of course. **SPOILER**(view spoiler) ...more
Jackson peters
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you like adventurous and mysterious books than this is the book for you. The author of this book is Pseudonymous Bosh. The name of this book is "This isn't What it Looks Like".
The setting is in the modern day time and the past. It takes place in London England, Cassandra's home,
Max-Ernest's home, the school where they live, the forest, and a castle. In the book Cassandra is considered a survivalist. A survivalist is someone who likes to be prepared for natural disasters and likes to escap
Varshini Iyer
In the fourth adventure of Cass and Max-Ernest, Cass is after the SECRET. She has travelled back in time (with the help of Senor Hugo's Time Travelling Chocolate) into her ancestral past to find out the SECRET.
Meanwhile at home she is in coma. Max-Ernest tries his best to wake her up with the help of the tuning fork. If Cass dies, the SECRET will also die along with her. Will Cass ever return? Losing the SECRET forever is worse than not knowing it. Read on to find out more.......
Amelia
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-have
This is probably my favorite book out of the secret series so far. It is so captivating and it makes you want to keep reading. At the beginning of This book we learn that Cass ate a piece of Señor Hugo's chocolate and gets set back in time or in a coma. Definitely read this if you live mystery novels and love to read the whole book at once because this is capable of that.
Carson
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Do Not Open This Topic! 1 21 Aug 06, 2012 04:24PM

• The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Another Whole Nother Story
  • Sammy Keyes And the Dead Giveaway (Sammy Keyes, #10)
  • The Yggyssey: How Iggy Wondered What Happened to All the Ghosts, Found Out Where TheyWent, and Went There
  • The Final Exam (School of Fear, #3)
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • The Candymakers (The Candymakers, #1)
  • Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor (Falcon Quinn, #2)
  • The Key (The Magnificent 12, #3)
  • Scumble (Savvy, #2)
  • The Potato Chip Puzzles (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #2)
Pseudonymous Bosch is the infamously anonymous author of the New York Times bestselling Secret Series and the Bad Books. Despite rumors to the contrary, his books are not actually written by his pet rabbit, Quiche; the rabbit is merely his typist.

Secret (6 books)
  • The Name of This Book Is Secret (Secret, #1)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • This Book Is Not Good for You (Secret, #3)
  • You Have to Stop This (Secret, #5)
  • Write This Book: A Do-It-Yourself Mystery
“USE COMMON SENSE. If somebody offers you a thousand dollars for this book, chances are their motives are not pure. Then again, a thousand dollars is a lot of money. Take the money and run.” 156 likes
“Despite my vanity, I fear for my sanity.” 35 likes