Start by marking “Secret Six, Vol. 3: Danse Macabre (Secret Six, #3)” as Want to Read:
Secret Six, Vol. 3: Danse Macabre (Secret Six, #3)

Secret Six, Vol. 3: Danse Macabre (Secret Six (collected editions) #3)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  499 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
John Ostrander, the co-creator of the SUICIDE SQUAD, teams with fan-favorite writer Gail Simone for this epic team-up between the SECRET SIX and the SUICIDE SQUAD. Amanda Waller and her Suicide Squad capture Deadshot to try to force him to rejoin their ranks, but his current teammates in the Secret Six don't see that happening any time soon. As the two groups begin to go t ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Secret Six, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Six, Vol. 3

Bradley
Suicide Squad? Maybe I haven't read or seen enough of them to get too excited. The story was decent, especially when matched against the Secret Six (also a group I'm meh about.)

I'm reading to make sure I don't miss one moment of the Blackest Night, but at least there's the dead! Dead, dead, dead, we'll all wind up dead....
Sesana
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Not as good, or as much fun, as the previous volumes. The Blackest Night stuff was ok. Don't get me wrong, I loved Blackest Night, at least the main issues. But it just doesn't work as well here. There's also the Black Alice character. I didn't much care for her in Birds of Prey, and I don't much care for her here. I know that we're probably stuck with her for awhile longer, but I'd like to see her at least get pushed to the side. Still, some good moments, mostly involving Bane and Scandal, and ...more
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
This volume of Secret Six has been the most tied to the larger DC Universe, I think, which explains why I found it fairly disappointing. I love the characters in this team, but I'm otherwise unfamiliar with the Suicide Squad (who have their purpose explained in the book, but I don't think we get the names of each of the members - who is the guy wearing a giant tiger head?)(and yes, guys wearing giant tiger heads is one of the reasons that I don't care about the DC Universe in general, and I know ...more
The Library Ladies
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

One of my bigger apprehensions about getting into a long series or comic arc is that the story lines will start to lose their sustainability. Sadly, this has started to happen for me and the Secret Six. The good news is that it is still a very strong comic, and I’m hoping that it just had a little hiccup. But I want to talk positives first. It was really neat to see Amanda Waller show up in this arc. For those who may not know (but many of you may k
Marc Lucke
May 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction

Danse Macabre opens with "Control", a one-shot tale from guest writer John Ostrander about Deadshot's internal struggle to maintain his self-control in the face of mushrooming traumas and self-loathing. The whole thing is a bit on the nose, but it works. Deadshot has always been a fun character to read, with his seductive blend of morbid sang-froid, languid charm and gallows humour; this tidy little story scrapes away some of the patina and lets us see what festers under the chrome mask.

"The Rab

Anchorpete
Oh man, look at that cover, with Deadshot. That is beautiful.

I have only read a handful of stories featuring the Suicide Squad. Most of them have featured the New 52 version of the team, and unfortunately it falls into the rather large percentage of new 52 books which were both directionless and generic.
This is the first book I have read that has featured the Pre-New 52 version of the squad. It was nice to see them go head to head with the members of the Secret Six, a team I have followed sinc
***Dave Hill
The tale of the Secret Six continues, here entangled as opponents, then (of course) as unwilling allies, of the Suicide Squad, a tonally similar DC book of the era, and joining Gail Simone and John Ostrander in a most satisfying fashion.

That makes for too many characters, to be honest, and the nature of the "Opposing teams fight each other, then fight a common enemy" plotline is so hackneyed that even the twist of it all being villains, and all with a common tie back to the amazing Amanda Waller
ElphaReads
Sadly, DANSE MACABRE has been the weakest of the SECRET SIX collections that I've read so far, but that isn't really through any fault of Simone or the comic itself. The issue is that a good chunk of this collection had to do with the 'Darkest Night' storyline that DC did, in which the Black Lanterns come in and start messing things up within the whole universe. Since I am not at all familiar with that storyline, I was a bit lost. I'm also bummed by the team schism that has taken place. It isn't ...more
Kelsey
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much Suicide Squad and not enough Secret Six for my taste, hence the 4 and not 5-star rating. It's still an excellent addition to the S6 collection, but the ties to the larger DC universe seemed to bog it down a bit.

I highly enjoyed the Deadshot one-shot, even though he's my least favorite of the Six (out of Scandal, Catman, Bane, Jeanette, and Ragdoll- it's like saying a certain type of chocolate is your least-favorite chocolate, out of your favorite chocolates). I also remain cautiously o
Danielle Bahr Barbosa
I feel like nothing really happened in this volume. The story is boring and many parts were extremely unnecessary and predictable. I really like Bane and Scandal Savage's friendship, but I think sometimes it's TOO exaggerated and tiring. I mean, I know Bane wants to protect Scandal, but it gets really annoying when he bosses her in a fatherly tone.

Although it was nice to know a little more about Deadshot and his backstory, I'd skip this volume to the next and still wouldn't make much difference
Sonic
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not find this one to be as strong as the other books in the series.
Shared writing credit is not often a good sign.
Though I loved John Ostrander back in his Grim Jack books, here the "collaboration" with Gail Simone seems forced
or perhaps it was the result of stretched circumstances.
This book also seem like it had the whole "Black Lantern" saga thrust upon it. That part of it was confusing, muddled and not as amusing as Gail Simone seems to be in the other books when she is left on her ow
Shannon Appelcline
A rather disappointing volume of Secret Six. John Ostrander's intro story on Deadshot is quite good, but totally at odds with both the style and the plot of Secret Six. After that, the Suicide Squad crossover and the Black Night crossover both totally derail Secret Six’s plot and turn everything into a long series of punches. The only redeeming factor is that Simone’s humorous approach to the Six occasionally bubbles up despite all the other issues.
M
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a someone like Deadshot, the arrival of the Blackest Night brings back more than a few old faces! The Six find themselves falling apart after trying to stay together; Bane is forcibly taking command, Black Alice has inserted herself into the squad, and Ragdoll continues to be disturbingly hilarious. As the resurrected zombie Black Lanterns set out to make everyone's life miserable, loyalties are questions and tensions mount. Another great run from a team of grey-areas!
Jeremy DeBottis
A small step back from the first two volumes. I guess I just get annoyed when a story gets forced into the middle of something that seems to be doing well on its own. To me that happens with all crossover events, and this falls victim as well. I like the introduction of Black Alice, but just don't expect this to be as fun as the first two volumes.
Iain
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Too brief and a bit disjointed in places: the Black Lantern tie-in stuff seriously hinders the writing. Best bit by far is the two-hander by Ostrander with Deadshot and Reverend (formerly Father) Craemer. It's short but powerful. It does, however, tend to highlight some inconsistencies in Deadshot's 'voice' between Simone and Ostrander. Still, overall a fun read.
Eric Mikols
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: villains
I love this series. Catman and Deadshot are great together, and I love how Gail Simone is writing Bane. There's a level of crazy you can't fake in this series, and the team is always one bullet away from complete ruin. I liked seeing the Suicide Squad, but the stuff with the Secret Six is the real performance. The dialogue is crisp and hilarious, and the action is some brutal stuff. Love it.
Seth
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Another good installment but not as good as the first two volumes. I really do enjoy the team and the witty repartee that happens between them, but the story just wasn't as good this time. I will say I gave this volume 4 stars instead of 3 strictly based on the conversation Bane has with Scandal Savage's new love interest. His roll as her protector appeals to me.
Alan
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gail Simone makes the interaction among this group of anti-heroes/villains fun. There may not have been a lot of character development, excluding a guest spot written by John Ostrander about Floyd Lawton, but there is fun here and sometimes fun is what I am looking for.
Sara
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this volume, although to be fair I accidentally read it second not third, so anyway the point is it didn't really dampen my enjoyment. (view spoiler)
Angela
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
This is a tie-in to Blackest Night. You may need to be familiar with the storyline to really enjoy this book. The team have a new member that they can't really say no to 'Black Alice'. Some fun character stuff, but this is mainly an action orientated book with lots of fights. A good read.
Feather Mista
Si me pusiera en forro, podría decir que esperaba mucho más de unos comics escritos por Ostrander y Simone. Si me pusiera en benevolente, podría decir que está bastante mejor que el comic de superhéroes promedio. Si me pusiera autoexigente, ni debería escribiría esta review.
Todd
This loses a star for being tied in to Blackest Night. This book works best when only slightly attached to the grander DC universe.

This volume makes me want to check out the Suicide Squad. More so than anything I've seen about the movie so far.
Lynda
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly disappointing.
Kayenne
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love gail simone's writing. I love when there are comic books focusing on villains.
the writing is great and there are dykes.
Brian
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
tied in with Black Lanterns stories.
Brian Williams
Interesting but confusing
Andrew
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
In this vol you see deadshot as the main story piece and it makes for a interesting read in that his old team wants him back and they don't really know how to take no for an answer.
  • Wonder Woman: Bitter Rivals
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • Brightest Day, Vol. 2
  • Birds of Prey: Old Friends, New Enemies
  • Batwoman, Vol. 3: World's Finest
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".
More about Gail Simone...

Secret Six (collected editions) (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Villains United