Start by marking “The Complete Photo Guide to Home Repair: With 350 Projects and 2300 Photos (Black & Decker)” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  199 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
a great book to read
Published September 30th 2004 by Creative Publishing International (first published November 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Photo Guide to Home Repair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Photo Guide to Home Repair

Beau Johnston
Yep, first day of my vacation and I broke the bloody soap-dish in the shower. Because I have nothing better to spend my money on than calling the repairman.

Like hell I don't. This little gem (ha-ha little? it weighs a ton) gave some straight forward advice on what to do and how to do it.

Of all the DIY projects I've ever done, tiling isn't one of them. But with advice from this book and a little common sense, I had the job done in 45 minutes, and no mishaps.

I've consulted this book quite a few ti
Clifford
I really liked this book. Too many different topics to mention them all. I liked that there were basic guides for almost any home repair project. There are more in-depth books, but if you need one book for everything this is a great choice.
Caro
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: actual-factual
This is an awesome book! I loved it! There was everything you would need to know and how to do it. Great pictures that really let you see what you're trying to do and the instructions are easy to read and understand. This has some older stuff and newer stuff (just in case your house is older of course!) and helps you understand the basics of things and not feel like an idiot. I really really enjoyed this book. It's going on my BOLO list and definitely something to keep in the house for an anytim ...more
Fletch
Aug 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommended for the new homeowner as a way to do it yourself and save money. I have already used this book to repair a leaking facet in my tub. The book recommended a simple adjustment before parts replacement and I have had no more leaks since.

The book covers repairs from simple to complex and you may not want to tackle the more involved repairs yourself, but it will still give you a good overview of what is involved. Then compare what the book says to what the contractor claims is needed to ge
Robert
One of my family members gave me this after we purchased our home. I found it useful when the hose to our washing machine became dislodged, although I didn't know it then. It seems to me this book gave me a few ideas for around the home.

Given that most of this stuff is now online, this has become more of a paperweight than a tool.
J Crossley
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a tremendous resource. In my opinion, if you could only have one home repair book, this would be the book to own. It is broken down by sections of your home, and it shows how to make repairs.
Tomáš Daněk
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every man should read something like this. Period.
Just a slight reservation - it's for American market and therefore contains things that are not really usual here in Europe, but the principles are sound and works description thorough. Also, dear Americans, please convert to metric system. :-)
Grant Jackson
The internet is a great place to look up how to fix something that's broken. What if something is broken and you don't know it though? Browsing through this book showed my how to inspect my own home and then fix a problem if I found one. Lot's of fun to flip through.
Leah
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 of 5

My thoughts on The Complete Photo Guide to Home Repair.
Phil
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Essential book for a new home owner and beginning DIYer. Expansive list of home repair tasks including a list of tools and supplies you'll need and photos of everything you'll need to do.
Jeff
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf
Although not a gripping read unless you find plumbing problems engrossing, it is nevertheless a good overall reference to basic, common home repairs.
PWRL
Apr 30, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Adam
Oct 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful book to have around the house for odd jobs and avoiding a call to a handy-man.
LA
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, owned it in print but wanted a digital copy.
Rob
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • New Fix-It-Yourself Manual
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • Where There Is No Dentist
  • Landscaping with Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.
  • Rocks and Minerals
  • The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards
  • Guinness World Records 2002
  • The Constitution: A Heavenly Banner
  • Off Ramp: Adventures and Heartache in the American Elsewhere
  • Even God is Single: (So Stop Giving Me a Hard Time)
  • Spineless Wonders: Strange Tales from the Invertebrate World
  • Satellite Sisters' Uncommon Senses
Black & Decker Corporation is an American manufacturer of power tools, accessories, hardware, home improvement products and technology based fastening systems headquartered in Towson, Maryland.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Black & Decker...