Start by marking “There Are No Stars in Brooklyn (Octopus Pie)” as Want to Read:
There Are No Stars in Brooklyn (Octopus Pie)

There Are No Stars in Brooklyn (Octopus Pie (New Collection) #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  512 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
What is Octopus Pie?

Follow the adventures of two Brooklynites—Eve, a nerdy acerbic twentysomething and her roommate, Hanna, a long-lost friend who has blossomed into a chronically happy-go-lucky stoner. Crazed childhood rivals, art world hipsters, Eve’s meddlesome mom, and boyfriends past and present crowd their odd yet ordinary lives.

In the twilight zone between college
Published June 22nd 2010 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about There Are No Stars in Brooklyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Are No Stars in Brooklyn

Worm by Wildbowxkcd by Randall MunroeHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellMother of Learning by Domagoj Kurmaic
Best of the Web
287 books — 322 voters
Nimona by Noelle StevensonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHark! A Vagrant by Kate Beatonxkcd by Randall MunroeAgatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio
Webcomics
336 books — 181 voters

More lists with this book...

Oriana
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
What happened was I went to Montreal, and in between gawking at block-wide murals, traipsing through a rusted installation-art sculpture garden, and zooming around the city on a Bixi Bike, I went to so so so many bookstores. And I kept asking for some like quintessentially Montrealean writer, some novelist whom I'd never heard of in the xenophobic States. But no one could really recommend anything! In one shop the guy (who seemed totally bored by my question -- wtf) was like "What about Michael ...more
Ran
May 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-comics
I don't think this was my cup of tea. It's strangely entirely in green instead of black ink. And these Brooklynites, Eve and Hanna, deal with hipsters, family, and boyfriends in this in-between-college-and-adulthood 20-somethings book.
Kathleen
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit frenetic and sometimes hard to follow. Maybe I'm just not good at telling characters apart? It's a fun and engaging tale of young adults trying to make something of themselves, and having a terrible time of it. It's all in the attitude!
Rick
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The first collection of Meredith Gran's charming web-comic relates the adventures of two twenty-somethings in Brooklyn: Eve, a pessimistic Asian nerd who works at an organic grocery, and her roommate Hanna, a buoyant stoner who bakes her own line of pastries. Between the requisite relationship troubles, parental interactions, and sight gags, Gran often steers off into the delightfully surreal especially in "grocery misconduct," where Eve assumes control of the store, and "skate or don't" in whic ...more
Danielle
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: organic bananas, anti-hipster hipsters meta something something something
Shelves: comics, comedy
Trigger Warning : Rollerblading, Renaissance Festivals, nerds vs. stoners laser tag fights, organiX food store, piercings everywhere but the ears, and probably Kombucha (at the least it's implied considering the circumstances.)

A beautiful doe-eyed small town girl gets off her flight from small town and makes her way towards the airport's exit. Embarrassingly, as she's never done this before (tee hee), she waves her hand out in front of her hoping one of the taximen will notice. Oh goll-LEE, wavi
Arnela
This volume collects chapters 1-13 of the Octopus Pie webcomic [which is roughly the first 2 years of of comics existence]. I got just one question, WHY ARE THE PAGES GREEN?? Like I don't mind it, but why green, why all green, what was the decision making process that lead the change from black and white to green? I just really wanna know.

I really don't have much to say. I love this comic. Love actually being able to hold it in my hand and flip to my favorite scenes without having to deal with l
David Thomas
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have an autographed copy of this secreted away somewhere, but I read a library copy this time. Really need to get my mitts on the physical copies of the rest of this series.
Michelle
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a hilarious printing of a web comic about female friendship. There is the contrast of staid and cynical Eve Ning and her stoner "friend" Hannah.

The humor is pretty good and like any comic, every page ends with a joke. The storylines are clearly separated with chapter names and an illustration. The art is loose and funny and adds to the characterization. Despite being black and white, it's pretty easy to decipher the race of the characters from context clues, but often it doesn't matter
Dorothy
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-finds
Another book I found at the library. (They moved the graphic novels right by the check-out stand, making it oh-so-easy to pick up extra titles!)

First I have to address the glaringly obvious similarity to the style of Scott Pilgrim. Instead of calling it a ripoff, I'll call it a tribute. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that. So weird!!

Anyway, I liked this book. I couldn't put it down! Some of the jokes were lost on me, and overall I'm not as bitingly sarcastic or negative as t
Raina
Aug 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Collection of webcomic about a nerdy snarky chinese-american brooklynite who works at an independent organic food store and her stoner roommate.

Definitely great ruminations on the twenty-something experience, plus punchlines at the end of every page. Accessible illustration style.
Particularly enjoyed the nerd-stoner rivalry and introduction of Eve's heritage (but I'm an Amy Tan fan). Plus the ethical quandaries of the organic store. Not as addictive as I kinda hoped it would be, but I'll definit
Jordan
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, that was lovely.

How did I not know about this? Or more correctly, how did I not seek Octopus Pie on teh Interwebz after a friend wouldn't shut up about it?

Everest "Eve" Ning is a misanthropic, curmudgeonly soul in a young person's body, working a shitty retail job in a city of potheads.

Sound familiar?

We've all been there, and this volume captures those moments, as well as the complications of new and old love, roommates, lasers, and cats.

Check it out!

Read the webcomic here!
Katherine
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this delightfully subtle story about Brooklynite misanthrope Eve Ning, her roommate Hanna, and a handful of other characters who inhabit the newly-college-graduated, still-sorting-out-their-lives scene in NYC and its environs. I'm betting that a lot of the New York jokes sailed right over my head, but fortunately, there are plenty of other jokes that ring true. Gran's artwork is perfect--distinct and funny, and with an eye for just the right details to make the story ring true. A lot o ...more
Zack
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012

Collecting the first few chapters of the eponymous web comic. Handles such tricky themes as gentrifying neighborhoods, facing down childhood demons, reconciling clashing circles of friends, and navigating social dynamics at Renn Faires. Gran's drawing style is very inviting and uncluttered, but filled with interesting details. I am looking forward to getting my hands on the follow-up!
Amelia Handoko
AT LAST I DID IT! Whoooo. This is a book who took the longest time gap between when I started reading this book until I mark this as read and rated it. Kinda satisfying enough, though the life who the broklynites live is so not into me, but all I can say is this book who has comedy genre not disappoint me, eventhough I read this with no laugh at all, but still, I am entertained, because I just love the plot, and the draw. I'm simply in love Little Eve's puppy-eyes on the last page :3
Yupa
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this as a webcomic years ago and just picked it up from the library when I saw it was produced in print. Certain strips and moments have stuck in my memory fairly well ("Crunch?????"), and the main characters are still definitely likable. That being said, it isn't much of a page turner, and the plots are usually silly and forgettable. It's worth reading, and I'll check out the second volume some day.
Megan
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book started with an interesting premise but was let down by its execution. The amount of exposition mixed in with the in-medias-res comic style was inconsistent, and many times the way the panels were drawn made it difficult to understand what was going on. Also (this is primarily a stylistic issue), it was difficult to tell male characters apart. The only one identifiable was a boyfriend of a main character, noticeable only because he was the only character to have a beard.
Michelle Song
May 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wanted to read this book after watching TheBookHoarder's vlog, where she compared the humor in this book to Broad City, one of my favorite shows. However, when I actually started reading, I didn't find that to be the case at all. Maybe the humor would have been good on tv, but it just didn't work for me in this context...
Rich Barrett
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
When Meredith Gran is on she's got some of the best comic timing and wittiest writing this side of Bryan Lee O'Malley. But I found the storylines here to be hit or miss and I don't think I ever warmed up to the character of Hanna like I did with Eve. Great introduction to this webcomic though and I'll continue reading it online.
Katie
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
laugh out loud funny, pithy story of two hipsters living in brooklyn, selling drugs and working at an organic deli. they'll be uncomfortably familiar sometimes, but most of the time they'll just sound like your friends talking to you, calling you "broham" and snarking on every other person alive.
Nicholas Siebers
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quirky adventures in Brooklyn. Interesting, diverse cast of characters but I felt like I missed a little bit of the plot when each chapter ended. Fun to spend time with, wish it wrapped up a little tighter.
Idleprimate
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
the blurb for this book is accurate. i might add it is at times kind of surreal.

I really enjoy her drawing style, and she has a gift for blending the scope of strip narrative with longer story arc narrative.
verygarza
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I couldn't get into this book for some reason but I WANT to like it. It was split into short segments and I noticed some typos in the text; the illustrations remind me of Dexter's Laboratory. It seems to have better ratings from other readers so perhaps I'll give it another try.
Tiana
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read the online comic, you need to devote a few hours to sitting back relaxing and checking it out. I love the fact that they make adulthood, the 20's seem as chaotic as it actually is.
Steve
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
A few of the story arcs are lackluster, but the strongest ones make up for it. In the end I'd say there's at least 3 stars in Brooklyn - with plenty of potential for growth.
dejah_thoris
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Don't know why I hadn't found Octopus Pie before because it has some great characters. Of course, my favorite is Hanna though Eve is swell too.
Ksenia
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This one had me chuckling out loud, which is a rare feat! Looking forward to picking up the second volume.
Marla
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The green ink was really hard to read. I must be getting old...
Hannah Garden
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: december-2015
What no.
Molly
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Meh. It was ok. I just get frustrated when every character in a book is more likable than the main character.
Amy
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed the stories but the plot and characters could have used just a bit more development.
  • Koko Be Good
  • The Phoenix Requiem: Volume One (The Phoenix Requiem #1)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 3: Reason (Gunnerkrigg Court #3)
  • Cucumber Quest, Vol. 1 (Cucumber Quest, #1)
  • Spera, Volume 1
  • Dumbing of Age, Volume 1: This Campus is a Friggin' Escher Print (Dumbing of Age, #1)
  • Unsounded - Volume 1: The Zombie & The Brat
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Sleeping City (Girl Genius, #13)
  • Girls with Slingshots, Vol. 1
  • The Case of the Team Spirit (Bad Machinery, #1)
  • Bite Me! A Vampire Farce
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 1
  • Princeless Short Stories Volume 1
  • The Fart Party, Vol. 2
  • The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal, Vol. 2: Wanderlust Kings
  • Lackadaisy: Volume #1
  • Chiggers
  • Flight, Vol. 7 (Flight, #7)
Meredith Gran lives and work in Brooklyn as a freelance comic artist & occasional animator. She's been drawing the webcomic Octopus Pie since 2007. She teaches a weekly webcomics course at the School of Visual Arts. She also wrote and drew the Eisner-nominated Adventure Time comic book spin-off, Marceline & the Scream Queens.
More about Meredith Gran...

Octopus Pie (New Collection) (2 books)
  • Listen at Home with Octopus Pie
“The things you get excited for the fastest are the things that get boring the fastest. Anything that ever meant a damn took a while.” 7 likes