Start by marking “Rogue (H.I.V.E, #5)” as Want to Read:
Rogue (H.I.V.E, #5)

Rogue (H.I.V.E. #5)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  3,473 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Key members of G.L.O.V.E. are being assassinated and Otto, gone rogue, is behind the killings. Raven and Wing must find him before the order to eliminate him can be carried out ...
Published May 3rd 2010 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published May 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rogue

Katrina
The HIVE series has a lot of elements that one might consider cliché in a villain/hero story like this. There are the types of villains that would fit right into a James Bond movie as well as an indestructible hero that survives. It might be bothering me a little bit that it’s always the very same five children who get in trouble (or sometimes it’s seven but Franz and Nigel are quite sidelined (again) in this book).
This novel granted us the reappearance of the earlier imprisoned Cypher, who is
Owen
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Mary Hodgman
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rogue was very exciting to read! It felt like every other chapter new characters were revealed as traitors!!! Otto has been captured and is being used to kill members of an important group called G.L.O.V.E.. When Otto's friends tries to rescue him, it's a little difficult. considering that he too is fighting against them. His mind is being controlled, and it will take a complicated plan to insure that he is rescued and "healed", without accidentally being killed. To create this plan and rescue O ...more
Tiffany
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great continuance to the series. Action-packed and fun to read. It's technical too in a futuristic, sci-fi way. A fun intro to sci-fi for kids, grade 5+. Plenty of violence/death but the gore is at a minimum.
Larissa
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The best HIVE book yet.
Lauren
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The fifth book in Mark Walden's H.I.V.E. series is entitled Rogue. In the book the protagonist, Otto Malpense, has fallen into Sebastian Trent's clutches. Trent, a man who has become quite the enemy to Dr. Nero and the whole G.L.O.V.E organization, plans to use Otto as his secret weapon to finalize the destruction of G.L.O.V.E. With members of G.L.O.V.E. fighting amoungst themselves and Trent using Otto to attack them Nero doesn't know if G.L.O.V.E. will be able to survive. All Nero knows is tha ...more
Justin Yan
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction

Aha, it is about time that I review this extraordinary book. As the fifth book in the H.I.V.E. series, you will not become bored by this book as it has an extremely interesting twist to it. True to the other books in the series, it is told in good old third person with the original characters still an integral part of the plot. As you may think that after 4 books what really is there to improve upon and add to the plot? Mark Walden is truly an amazing man as far as being able to conjure up some

Derrick
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rogue by Mark Walden is the fifth book in the HIVE series. It was very very good in my opinion because there is once again a lot of twists and turns, which just makes the book more interesting. The HIVE series has a lot of high tech material inside. Most of the battles are not the type of war we have nowadays, but it is a more advanced warfare that is better than anything in the current world, but in the current world.

At the start of the book, a member of the GLOVE ruling council is assassinate
PurplyCookie
The leaders of the world's villainous forces are being picked off one by one in a series of mysterious attacks and Dr. Nero is forced to take temporary control of G.L.O.V.E. when Diabolus Darkdoom is seriously injured.

He then discovers that Otto, who has now been missing for several months since Dreadnought, is leading the attacks. Under pressure from the remaining members of the ruling council, Nero is left with no choice but to issue a capture or kill order for Otto. Wing learns of the order
Pun
Feb 10, 2017 added it
Mark Walden always has some way to make me keep reading, although the "Said with a straight face" is becoming even more annoying due to is overused repetition. The overall story so far is quite engaging, though the way he writes seems to say he doesn't have many ideas left!
Jim
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a rule, it's rare to find a series where the fifth book is still meeting (if not exceeding) the standards set by the first. Happily, H.I.V.E. seems to be one of those rare exceptions. The story in Rogue picks up almost right where the previous book, Dreadnought, left off, and catapults the reader straight back into its world of action, intrigue, deadly dangers and narrow escapes. I was so engrossed, I nearly read the whole thing in one sitting. This book has a somewhat harder edge to it than ...more
Amanda
They are getting darker; I guess I should have expected this. 2 books left to go in the series. What's a girl to do? The good bad guys are still fighting the bad bad guys...and winning?

But the ratio of violence/deaths/the end justifies the means is definitely higher. Bad language is still there (not sure if it is stronger or just still there). No real level of romance. Drinking/smoking mentioned in passing (done by the bad bad guys). Trying to take over the world for sheer crazy "I am a psychot
Katherine Roberts
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
A good book for teenage boys, full of gadgets and explosions and a plot that reads like an all-action movie. My rating reflects the fact I found it difficult to connect with any of the characters, and wasn't really sure who I was supposed to be rooting for. There are some younger characters who get into trouble, but there do not appear to be any good guys. Those who stood out for me were the boy Otto (who is a victim in this book so has little chance to take control), and two kick-ass lady warri ...more
TheTinFoilHatter
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is yet another great title in a great series. Well, technically the title is my one gripe with this book, but "Possessed" wouldn't have sounded as classy. Following the events of the last book, Otto is being controlled by the Animus goo to serve the forces of H.O.P.E. His friends must find and rescue him, and what follows is a series of crazy action scenes with great plot and characters.
One highlight of the saga is the appearance of a true rogue villain, who really adds to the story as a de
Ryan Viergutz
So Otto is possessed by this Animus fluid stuff, Overlord is possibly returning and the professors have to bring in an old enemy who does the usual villainous things.

This series is SO FUN. It feels nostalgic for Saturday morning cartoons without the nostalgia because these never were!

They're written that I can pretty much see the animation in them although the mood is more like Transformers the Animated Movie. There's more violence and more brutal decisions than you'd expect from most Saturday m
Nicanor
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yes! Now this is a way to give momentum to a series.

Even with my rating, I though Dreadnought to be BORING for some reasons. I don't know if it is the fact that it had too much Diabolus (which I believe is a super boring character) or the fact that, besides the end, there is really not a big new adition (besides Lucy, but it was way too early for her to be relevant)

But with Rogue? Taking exactly from the last cliffhanger, action from start to finish, tension, return from previous books (always a
Otto Malpense, teen supergenius, has gone rogue, taking down the evil overlords of G.L.O.VE. with his increasingly frightening cyborg powers at the behest of H.O.P.E., an organization with just as few moral scruples but better P.R. G.L.O.V.E. orders his execution, but his friends are convinced they can break his mental programming if they reach him first. The race is on to find Otto in a top secret Amazonian base before the last of his personality is erased and something darker than anyone expec ...more
Natalie C.
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This has been the best book so far in the series. The suspense was killing me the entirety of the time, the action writing makes me feel like I’m in a superhero movie. I like how there are multitudes of perspectives so the story can be in many places at once, it makes the story more well-rounded. I wish there were more background characters though, there are only the “main group” and others who are important to the story. Characters who don’t matter as much would add more depth, because it’s not ...more
Katrina
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Series
Anne
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Book 5 in the H.I.V.E. series.
The action and adventure continues as Otto Malpense is being used by the nefarious leaders of H.O.P.E. to take over the world. Raven and Wing set off for the Amazonian headquarters to rescue him; Laura, Lucy, and Shelby have been taken as hostages, Cypher is on the loose.
Fans of the series will continue to enjoy the exploits of these characters. Those who enjoyed Alex Rider will like these, too, but they need to start with the first of the series.
Jodie
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the 5th book in the H.I.V.E. series. Otto has been taken by the enemy and the headmaster of H.I.V.E. finds out that he is attacking people from the villain society he is in (G.L.O.V.E.). Raven and Otto's best friend Wing are trying to find Otto and turn him back before he gets killed. This book is really good, interesting, and action-packed (like all the books in the H.I.V.E. series) and I definitely recommend it.
Ms. Mielke's Class Make sure you post how your sheets tell you to!!!!
This book is now definitely one of my favorites. It grabs the reader's attention and doesn't let go.
In this book Otto goes rogue and begins assassinating members of the glove ruling council. When Wing hears about this he sets off with raven to save him before the G.L.O.V.E. ruling council can get to him.

This book was a amazing addition to the series in my opinion and I don't think you will be overly disappointed with this book. -GT
Sam
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Usually, by the time a series hits the 4th book, the quality starts to go down. This can't be said for Walden's 5th, as he does an exceptionally good job of keeping the readers interested in the various plot twists. There's a lot of action and it's written smoothly so that nothing seems forced. Overall, another great book to the hive series
Soumya
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novel. While not entirely suspicious, this book was definitely gripping. The comeback of old characters, the introduction of new ones, and the crazy plans of villains kept me under this books's spell. The action and gadgets did not let me down. A great 5th book in the HIVE series. I definitely recommend this book to fans of spy themed books.
Denise
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
My children and I have enjoyed the series, but it gets progressively violent with each book, so beware. I began to get a little uneasy with the amount of killing in the last 2 books that I have read to my children. Hopefully the next book doesn't get any worse. Other than the violence, it is a fun, action packed book to read.
Kevin
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series. It's supposed to be the school for super-villains, but they do seem to spend a lot of time saving the world. This one was interesting because it has one of the main characters, Otto, out of commission and not really a part of the story. I liked the twists and turns and the character conflicts. I would recommend these if you can get your hands on them.
Hayden
Awwwww, I missed Otto when he was a good guy. ha, it's still hard to think that he's a villain. All of us that are reading this should really be supporting H.O.P.E....

CLIFFHANGER!!!! Once again, I'm not worried - I've already started Zero Hour. Because I've timed it right, The next H.I.V.E book will be coming out soon after I've finished Zero Hour

*Will finish later*
Eric
Here's the fifth installment in Mark Walden's ongoing H.I.V.E. series. Each volume is not so much a book as it is a small piece of a bigger story arc. Rogue, for example, continues the adventure begun way back in The Overlord Protocol. That's four books and counting. There's no turning back now.

Full review: http://superheronovels.com/2013/03/15...

Brooke
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-reads
Otto is captured and turned into a deadly enemy agent. I didn't enjoy reading the scenes where Otto was the evil guy - but Nero and
Raven with the help of Wing work it out. In the end i enjoyed this book as much as the others. I think I am ready for the series to end. However, I am not a twelve year old - but I definitely enjoy recommending this to young teen readers!
Nathalie
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As usual, action-packed to the gills. So much that I find myself getting lost a coupla times. Still, a very good cannot-put-down read. Giving this 5 stars if only for the fact that H.I.V.E.mind is back, and nearly brought down H.I.V.E. in the process. For a bunch of supposed evil villains, these guys sure have quite strong morals. And Raven still kicks serious ass of course.
  • Virus Attack (Hero.Com, #2)
  • The End of Infinity (Jack Blank Adventure, #3)
  • Gates of Rome (TimeRiders, #5)
  • Monster Madness (Nightmare Academy #2)
  • Hurricane Gold (Young Bond, #4)
  • Jimmy Coates: Target
  • The Genius Wars (Genius, #3)
  • Secret Army (Henderson's Boys, #3)
  • The Academy (Steel Trapp, #2)
  • The Lab (Agent Six of Hearts, #1)
  • Lost Train of Thought (The Seems, #3)
  • The Gathering (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #2)
  • Sure Fire (Rich and Jade, #1)
  • The Rising (Department 19, #2)
I am the world’s laziest man.

No…really. Not just a bit slack, really, truly, breathtakingly lazy.

Which is why it’s taken me so long to get off my big, lazy rear end and get myself properly on-line.

I’m the author of the HIVE series of books which I hope that some of the people who stumble across this might have read and enjoyed. Or read and hated…

I am fortunate enough to live with the two most beau
More about Mark Walden...

H.I.V.E. (9 books)
  • H.I.V.E. Higher Institute of Villainous Education (H.I.V.E., #1)
  • The Overlord Protocol (H.I.V.E., #2)
  • Escape Velocity (H.I.V.E., #3)
  • Dreadnought (H.I.V.E, #4)
  • Zero Hour (H.I.V.E, #6)
  • Aftershock (H.I.V.E., #7)
  • Deadlock (H.I.V.E., #8)
  • Untitled (H.I.V.E., #9)

“her keyboard. “There,” she said eventually. “Bringing up real-time scan.” The display changed to a zoomed-in view of the Animus penetration around the object, as several of the tendrils of the black fluid crept toward it. Creed’s eyes widened as just a moment later he saw the Animus shrink away from the object. It was impossible to say whether it had been driven back or had recoiled voluntarily, but the reason was at least clear why this tiny part of Malpense’s brain had remained free of Animus. Unfortunately, it left them no closer to understanding what the object was. That would require an invasive,” 1 likes