Start by marking “The Cat Who Went Bananas / Large Print/ Book Club Edition (Cat Who... #27)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Went Bananas / Large Print/ Book Club Edition (Cat Who... #27)

The Cat Who Went Bananas / Large Print/ Book Club Edition (Cat Who... #27)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  3,800 Ratings  ·  216 Reviews
The merry atmosphere in Pickax is dampened by the death of an out-of-town actor and the theft of a rare book. Qwill finds himself distracted from the events by his finicky pal Koko, who's been acting more fishy than feline. Has Koko gone bananas, or is he trying to let the cat out of the bag to solve the dual mysteries?
Hardcover, Large Print Edition, 294 pages
Published 2005 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published January 1st 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Went Bananas / Large Print/ Book Club Edition

James
Book Review
2+ of 5 stars to The Cat Who Went Bananas, the 27th installment in the "Cat Who" cozy mystery series, written in 2004 by Lilian Jackson Braun. This was my least favorite of all the books in this series. It had the potential to be so much stronger, given it was about a rare book. But I think the publisher got caught up in the money, people loving the series and a rush to push it out the door. The ending was vague, the story was disconnected and the voice of several characters seeme
Lee Miller
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read "The Cat Who..." books for mystery or thrills. I read them for their charm and warmth, to visit old friends again, to walk down the streets of Pickax and browse the shops, to admire Quill's reserved intelligence and thoughtfulness, and to play with Yum Yum and Koko as they race up and down the ramps in the apple barn. By that measure, "The Cat Who Went Bananas" is a wonderful and thoroughly enjoyable addition to Braun's series.

Some reviewers have criticized the ending as vague or un
Benjamin Thomas
Oh dear…

I’ll start by saying I have read all 26 previous novels in this series. The first three were solid mystery novels taking place in “the City” (probably Detroit or Chicago) with a crime reporter (Jim “Qwill” Qwilleran) acting as the sleuth. They were OK but not spectacular. Then 18 years passed before the next book of the series was published. Qwill had now inherited a ton of money and was able to move to Pickaxe in the northern part of the state of Michigan. That provided a pretty cool my
Aug 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If it was possible, I wouldn't give this book ANY stars. I have no idea how people think this series is good. I couldn't get into this book and it took me longer than expected to actually read this book. It was utterly boring, pointless and there was no solving of mysteries nor anything related to mysteries. It didn't even answer any questions that were put into the book. I still don't know why Violet married that guy, but at the same time I didn't care.

The characters just didn't get formed and
Debbie
Another disappointment. Again the murder mystery is remote and justice comes by divine intervention. Qwill undertakes no real interest in researching what could have been a delightful romp through people's lives to solve the 3 mysteries that arose in the book.
Did Alden Wade kill his second wife? Did he kill her first husband? What happened to Ken/Wesley? What happened to the baby kidnapped so long ago, a mystery never investigated?

It seems Braun has become bored with mysteries and only wants to
James
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Penandra
Mar 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read the reviews for this book until I was already half way through the book . . . would I have still checked it out of the Library? Perhaps not. Do I regret reading it? Hmmm, the jury is still out. It is time I will never get back, but since I was on vacation and read in bed before falling asleep, it's not time I would have used except to read another book.

I'm just wondering who is now writing the Cat Who books --- The inside cover of this book says "Lillian Jackson Braun is the author
Lynne Tull
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Yea! I finally reached my goal. I have now read 1-27 of "The Cat Who..." books. As I read "....Went Bananas", I thought it seemed to be back on track. However, toward the end one character disappeared and we never heard of him again. Is he dead or did he fear for his life and run? The supposed villain died and we never knew if he was a villain or just wrongly accused. A man and his wife died before the story began and there was no solution on this front either.

This is my stopping place. I will
Teri
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

In this latest from Lilian, we find Pickax in the midst of their opening of the theatrical production, the town is celebrating the opening of the new bookstore that is replacing the old one. Polly is the new owner and this causes a rift in Qwill's and Polly's relationship. There is much ado about the new marmalade cat, Dundee, that is the bookstore's new mascot. Koko keeps flipping banana peels to the floor, Qwill is frustrated about this monstrosity of an old wooden mansion on top of a hill, bu
Kirsti
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers, Mystery lovers, Animal detective fans
Another day, another Cat who book. This one deals with the building of the new Pickax bookstore, The Pirate's Chest. Polly is too busy to have her usual evenings with Qwill, so he dines with Violet Hibbard and decides to write the text for a photo book of her home. But all isn't right in Hibbard house, and a younger man has married Violet. Suspecting a ploy for her money, Qwill begins a quiet investigation, but it all comes to an end with her death and the destruction of Hibbard house. Koko as u ...more
Steve Chaput
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's be honest, I don't believe that many folks pick up this series for the 'mystery'. Many of the crimes take place "off camera" and the case is often solved with little assistance from James Qwilleran, and his feline companions. The real reason to read these books is to find out what is happening in Pickax and the surrounding communities in Moose County. What's going in in the new bookstore? Is the city having another celebration of one of the tragedies or other events that took place earlier ...more
Theresa
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know Braun's writing has become disjointed at times as she had gotten up in years, but I believe that the questions the reader was left with in this particular book was intentional. I come to this conclusion with the last entry in Qwill's journal where he brings up the same questions most readers probably had. It was almost like Lilian Jackson Braun was reminding her readers that we don't always get the answers we want or need and maybe a reflection of her own life and failing health.

It might
Rachel
Sep 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
A co-worker recommended this book, I think because either a: it has no profanity or sex, or b: he hates me and thinks I have no taste.

I thought these books were supposed to be mysteries, and I guess it sort of was, but there was no real sense of urgency or even any sincere effort at investigation. It was this guy and his cats (and all of his neighbors and their cats), and this bookstore, and that event, and this other article. It was a daily journal of tedium, and I can't believe I actually read
Heather
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying becoming reacquainted with this series. My mother read 1 - 12 and maybe 13/14 before she died and loved the mystery series ensconced in literary references and cats who enjoy gourmet food. This is one of the later ones written 2 years before Lilian Jackson Braun died. The author plays with a break up of Qwill and longtime girlfriend Polly - not sure where that will lead. This one leaves some loose ends, but it was a fun, end of the year, Christmas break read.
Eyehavenofilter
The cat who is finally losing its cuteness for me but I still read them because I can't help myself. An out of town actor and bananas? I think the term is called " grasping at straws". But what the hell it has cats.
Wendy
Qwilleran always sounds like an older proper woman in her seventies. LOL.
Karen Elizabeth
in a word, lame. read a few of the cat who series. lightweight at best of times. this was dull & slow with no sense of resolution of mystery. probably only good reading for when you have the flu
Woz
Nov 07, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOBODY
Recommended to Woz by: my grandma
It was so bad that I couldnt make it past the first page.
Pat
The Cat Who
Penny
Jul 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This could be possibly one of the worst books I have ever read/finished. I kept hoping for a decent ending but was horribly disappointed.
Gloria
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone over 18; detective; mystery stories; who done it?; cats
Qwilleran has been to the doctor and told to change his diet, mainly by adding bananas. He discovers that both Koko and YumYum are interested in the peels and drag them all over his house, sometimes leaving them in very inopportune places.

The bookstore is opening shortly, and Polly is focused on making sure it goes smoothly. A rare book is stolen and reported by Alden Wade.

Qwilleran is also on the outside of a family drama: While in Lockmaster, Alden Wade married Wesley's mother. Then she died
Judy
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book. As a cat lover who is very allergic, I have to live out my cat moments vicariously through Qwilleran's Siamese cats, Koko and Yumyum. They have special powers, aristocratic tastes, and are quite independent! Qwilleran comes across as being a bit low-key, but his dry sense of humor comes out fairly often. There is enough variety in storylines to keep it interesting as each set of characters is developed.
This was the first of the series that I had read, but I'm already halfway
Fredell Boston
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good clean summer reading fun! Typical and extremely entertaining edition of the "Cat Who..." books. Fun from beginning to end.
As usual, Qwill and the "kids" solve a murder, but the method is unique and dependent on the actions of resident, kitty sleuth--KoKo. He plants a bana peel to help Qwill determine "whodunit"
Joanne Roberts
A loose plot and obvious mystery put this low on the list of Braun sequels. The narration seemed lackluster as well, probably from the uninspiring material. The book spent more time on the subplots than the mystery. Disappointing.
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got Lillian Jackson Baraun loves fire. If you think back there is a amazing amount of stuff that burns down. This book is no exception. The book left numerous things unanswered. I still enjoy the characters but i am starting to believe she running out of stuff to write.
Mandy
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable audio, for sure.
Jamie Patzer Johnson
A meandering tale that really never goes anywhere. The characters are charming as always-- but the story is loopy and doesn't come to a clear end .
Jerry Foster
May 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was looking for a mystery solved by KoKo. Hadn't read a "Cat Who" book in years. No mystery, no solution and not well edited. Seemed like small town literary nostalgia. Very disappointed.
Dez Nemec
Jun 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This was horrible. I hated the characters, I loathed the cats, and the story just went nowhere. I can't believe how many people like these books, but don't count me among them.
Stacy Croushorn
Love these books. While the plot and storyline was interesting, I was disappointed with the ending.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Went Bananas #28 1 2 Aug 09, 2013 10:15PM
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Sour Puss (Mrs. Murphy, #14)
  • Cat in a Neon Nightmare (Midnight Louie, #15)
  • The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Cat Seeing Double (Joe Grey, #8)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)

“When you don't know what to do with yourself, do something for someone else.” 9 likes
“She had white cat hair on her dark suit, she was a dedicated cat hugger.” 3 likes