Start by marking “An Eyeball in My Garden and Other Spine-Tingling Poems” as Want to Read:
An Eyeball in My Garden and Other Spine-Tingling Poems

An Eyeball in My Garden and Other Spine-Tingling Poems

“For all who bravely dare/ To read this haunted sonnet,/ May you be made aware/ A spell’s been cast upon it. . . .” From spiders to mummies to the elusive Boogeyman, these pages hold a little bit of everything creepy, crawly, and just plain spooky. With a pinch of terror and a dash of humor, readers will be cast into a shadowy world, where creatures lurk and nightmares dwe ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Two Lions

Be the first to ask a question about An Eyeball in My Garden and Other Spine-Tingling Poems

Gary
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
this was a first reads book that i won. i had no idea what to expect and i was very, very pleasantly surprised. the poems were written by a variety of different poets,and as i tended to procrastinate while getting around to writing this review,there are many i have read a few times and can get different ideas from same poem read on different times which is what i like in poetry that i consider good. the illustrations are absolutely fantastic. each person who has picked up this book and glanced a ...more
Tobyann Aparisi
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young and old that enjoy awesome spooky art and lyrical creepy poems
Recommended to Tobyann by: first reads
I absolutely love this book!! I couldn't wait to read it, and once it arrived, I tore through the package and devoured it, poem after poem! The art is phenomenal. I know this book is probably geared to the young, but I do not care! I love it. The poems are thought provoking, mysterious and fun. I love frogs so I was thrilled to see the last poem is about a frog. The poems were out loud reading enjoyment to the ears. The art is just awesome! I am so honored to own this book. It will be my favorit ...more
Catherine Brennan
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I recieved An Eyeball in My Garden through giveaways, and it is awesome. Some of the poems made me cringe, they were so creepy. Others made me laugh out loud. This book of poetry is the perfect mix of horror and humor. Truely worth a read.
Rebecca
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, scary
Good poetry shares for Halloween season. For silliness: "Mummy's Menu," p. 27
B.J. Lee
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
great children's collection of spooky poems. Wonderfully done by members of The Poet's Garage. Pick one up in time for Halloween!
Amanda
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book of poems for little boys, or anyone who loves a spine tingling read.
Cheryl
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
"I'm preying for you."

"An Eyeball in My Garden" is a collection of 44 poems, some funny, some spooky, some quite scary. The poems range from sophomoric to quite good. The black line illustrations are very good and really add to the book.

My favorite of the poems are: 1. Where Nightmares Dwell 2. Camp Creepy 3. Come Closer, Closer 4. Winking Wot Warning 5. Graveyard Hill 6. Beneath the Stairs 7. Mad Scientist 8. Our Neighborhood 9. The Witching Hour 10. Haunted 11. October 31st 12. Swamp Witch 13.
Michele
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2011
My sister-in-law wrote three of the poems, so of course, I had to read it. It has some that I really enjoyed. I questioned some of the editing, it seemed like they would put the same authors next to each other, or at least very close together, which seemed odd to me. But there are some fun ones here. My faves are "Spooky" "Voices" and "Read at your Own Risk." Of course, Christy's are the best, but maybe I'm a wee pit prejudiced!

VOICES
by Jennifer Cole Judd
A murmur down the hallway,
A wail upon the
Linda
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
For a long time I've looked for a book of spooky poems I could read aloud to my kids during October, so I was thrilled when I won this book on Goodreads. The poems run the gambit from silly (Mummy's Menu) to scary (Haunted). While I think the black and white illustrations make the book, be warned: if your child is very young and/or scares easily, this may not be the right book for them. Although it's for kids, some of the poems and illustrations are downright creepy. Still, my kids and I really ...more
Sandra Stiles
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, children
This is a collection of poems that would be best read around Halloween. "Bedtime Story" by Susie Sawyer was one of my favorites. We read a poem that leads you to believe that a ghost family lives in a house with its human counterparts. As we get to the end we learn that the ghost is actually the grandparent telling the story to the grandchild. This is a group of creepy, crawlie, funny poems sure to tickle the funny bone of all of my students.
Annette
Wendy Sparrow
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
The poems in this book were so cleverly done. I found myself smiling frequently as I read. My favorite poem was Hixon House by Susie Sawyer. I don't think any were scarier than some of the more morbid Shel Silverstein poems. I'd let my nine year old son read it...and I might sit beside him and reread them.
Sydney
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a quick book and easy but a few of the poems are a little creepy... But most are about trick or treating or dressing up if you choose this I would definitely read it to the end after all there are only 64 pages.
Anne Wi
This was really cute; scary but not too scary. I think this is a great book for all ages.
Allison
Dec 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
got bored and didn't want to finish
Stella
Jaclyn
Jan 25, 2016
Edna Moran
Nov 04, 2016
Jennifer Cole Judd is the author of a new rhyming picture book, CIRCUS TRAIN, (Two Lions, March 2015, and co-editor of AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, a spooky middle grade poetry anthology (Marshall Cavendish, 2010).

Jennifer dreams of running away to the circus, but for now is content juggling life with a husband, five children, and slightly overweight terrier. Jennifer resides in Texas.