Start by marking “Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga #5)” as Want to Read:
Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga #5)

Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga #5)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  6,570 Ratings  ·  317 Reviews
Meet the Bedwyns--six brothers and sisters--men and women of passion and privilege, daring and sensuality ... Enter their dazzling world of high society and breathtaking seduction ... where each will seek love, fight temptation, and court scandal ... and where Alleyne Bedwyn, the passionate middle son, is cut off from his past--only to find his future with a sinfully beaut ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Random House, Inc./Dell (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Slightly Sinful, please sign up.
Jack Vasen Interesting how opinions differ. For me, this was the most delightful of the series and had the fewest tedious moments. It lacked what I thought in…moreInteresting how opinions differ. For me, this was the most delightful of the series and had the fewest tedious moments. It lacked what I thought in the other books was overdone repetition. This was one of the most page-turning books I have read in ages.(less)

Dina
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, let's get it out in the open: the premise of this book didn't sound very appealing to me at first. I mean, there's amnesia, deception, and another fake marriage - the fourth fake marriage/bethrotal in the Slightly series, and the fifth if you add A Summer to Remember, which is a prequel to the series. It should have been too much to take, right? Wrong! Somehow Ms. Balogh made it all work by making me fall in love with the H/h, and the rest is history...

The events in Slightly Sinful and Sli
Consuelo
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Otro claro ejemplo de mal momento lector y por eso no le he disfrutado. ...ainsssss espero que solo sea un bache
Ally
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 02-audio, 02-library
If I get shot or fall from my horse, please deliver me to the nearest brothel.

brothel

Not that I plan on any of those things, but one must plan.

Series: Yup

Sexy times: Couple of times. All beautifully handled and nothing too scary. Although there was one devirgining that didn't exactly go as planned.

Plan on reading more by the author: Gotta finish the series, don't I?

Synopsis: Alleyne is high on his horse hurrying back to base command to deliver a letter and get to his sister who sits waiting for him wh
Sombra
4,5 estrellas.

Hasta ahora, uno de los mejores libros que he leído de la serie. También es cierto que venía de dos bastante flojillos en cuanto a personajes femeninos. Pero este ha tenido todos los ingredientes para que disfrutara página por página de los periplos de Ayllene y Rachel.

La historia comienza de manera bastante original en una novela de este género, y la cosa solo mejora cuando entran en escena las mujers del burdel y William, un comandante que, tras la batalla de Waterloo ha perdido
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steamy, romance
I had low expectations for this book because I haven't really much liked Alleyne. He's aloof, cynical, and just a tad out of his depth. Maybe my expectations were simply low, but this book blew them out of the water and I am so happy. The amnesia thing is such a cliché that I was a bit surprised to see Balogh using it. She's better than that, I thought. Fortunately, she really is better than that and used that cliché to pull off a really interesting character arc.

I have no idea what real amnesia
notyourmonkey
Oh, Mary Balogh - always with the really good stuff, be it excellent use of cliches or exploration of interesting themes within the context of historical romance, but always undermined by some really dodgy stuff.

Yes, yes, this is dress-up-doll historical romance - they've all got their teeth, the women are always surprisingly independent - but you don't get to handwave away the things you don't like (bad dental hygiene, extremely limited spheres of influence for the vast majority of women, the
Cheryl
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Throughout the Bedwyn Saga Alleyne Bedwyn has been one of my favorite characters. He is a jolly fellow, quick to laugh and even quicker to help his siblings out with the most recent scrap they've gotten themselves into. In his own book he is no different, despite the fact that he is suffering from amnesia and has no idea who he is.

I had moments when I liked the heroine, Rachel, and other times when she annoyed me. But overall I thought she was a good match for Alleyne.

This book had an introducti
Jan130
Added comments April 3rd 2018:
(Some minor spoilers ahead). I didn't enjoy this as much this second time around, and have reduced my rating, down to 2.5 - 3 stars instead of my original 3.5 stars. As I did on the first read, I found the storyline pretty far-fetched, but in fact this time it seemed pretty ridiculous. I didn't mind the over-arching concept of Alleyne's amnesia and his falling in love with Rachel. Those aspects of the story were done well and were quite believable, even though amnes
Ursula
What to say about this audio-book? Of course, the story was nicely read by Rosalyn Landor. Her different voices and accents for the women were particularly good.
I just didn't love the story.

For example, the constant reference to whores (with hearts of gold, who actually LOVED their profession enough to lust after men and even do it for free- yeah, right, in which universe?) bothered me, and it was a case of protesting too much about how the MC's didn't care that the women were "whores
Juliana Philippa
Great, great read - Rachel and Alleyne are wonderful, and the secondary characters extremely colorful

SUMMARY (Bedwyn Family, Book 5):
Slightly Sinful overlaps significantly (chronologically speaking) with the previous book in the Bedwyn series, Slightly Tempted (Morgan and Gervase's story). Lord Alleyne Bedwyn (26), working as a British diplomat in Brussels, is sent to deliver a letter to the Duke of Wellington during the Battle of Waterloo. He receives a reply letter to deliver and heads back to
Wealhtheow
In Slightly Tempted, the aristocratic Bedwyn family is rocked by news of Lord Alleyne Bedwyn's death at Waterloo. While searching the battle's casualties for saleables, Rachel York (a well-born woman left penniless by her father's gambling&drinking) comes across Alleyne's body, already stripped by other scavengers. But he is not dead, just gravely injured. Rachel carts his limp body back to the brothel where her old nurse works, and she and the whores nurse him back to health. But Alleyne, a ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read September 2015
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
3.5 stars.

I'm enjoying this series but just not quite enough to make the full 4 stars.
Renae (Romantic Parvenu)
Well, it was bound to happen at some point. Mary Balogh has finally let me down. Slightly Sinful was just too silly for me. There's an amnesia plot and a troop of whores out for revenge and just...ach. What I tend to love most about this author is how down-to-earth and honest her narratives are. This book, however, was more like a silly romcom than a realistic look at what it takes to make a relationship work. And that's fine, just not the content I'm here for.
Joana V.
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus
Opinião completa em:
Full review: http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2016/...

Neste livro temos o mais novo dos irmãos Bedwyn, Alleyne, numa missão importante. O problema é que, enquanto cumpria essa missão, é atingido na perna, no meio da batalha de Waterloo e deixado para morrer depois de bater com a cabeça ao cair do cavalo. As hipóteses de sobrevivência eram escassas. Não fosse Rachel.
(...)

Allyene, que como tinha dito inicialmente, bateu com a cabeça, acor
Tempo de Ler
O desaparecimento de Alleyne em Ligeiramente Tentador ficou para resolver no livro seguinte, deixando-nos curiosas com o que lhe poderá ter acontecido. Parece que, enquanto nos preocupávamos com a sua segurança, Alleyne acordava - sem memória - num bordel. Isto porque, quando quando ia começar a pilhar cadáveres, Rachel se apercebeu que "aquele" ainda estava vivo... e acabou por socorrê-lo.

...E o que levaria Rachel a roubar os que padeceram na Batalha de Waterloo?!... Bem, depois de terem sido
herdys
3,5 stars! Definitely better than Morgan's book. I loved the four ladies and even without memory, our charming hero. The reunion with his family was Lovely too!
Lady Wesley
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2017-faves
Rosalyn Landor's audio version of this Mary Balogh classic really tickled my funnybone. In Brussels, right before Waterloo, the heroine innocently gets mixed up with four jolly prostitutes, and they take in a wounded Alleyne Bedwyn, who has lost his memory. Also a crusty sergeant who has lost an eye and been dismissed from the army. The seven of them set out for England -- the ladies in pursuit of a charlatan posing as a minister who has stolen their life savings, Alleyne hoping to find somebody ...more
Vânia Nunes
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vânia by: editora Arqueiro
Alleyne Bedwyn, dado como morto pelos familiares, estava vivo.
Não sendo o filho mais velho, e herdeiro do título; não se vendo como clérigo ou até mesmo como um soldado, como seu irmão Aidan - apesar de admirá-los -, Alleyne estava perdido quanto a seu futuro.
Ele tinha dinheiro mais do que suficiente para viver, mas nenhum propósito na vida. Por isso, ele foi trabalhar na guerra como uma espécie de diplomata. Foi nessa ocasião, em pleno bombardeio, quando tinha a missão de levar uma carta e espe
Sara
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Otro Bedwyn que engancha, sobre todo por la situación peculiar de sus protagonistas. Destacar sobre todo el reencuentro familiar.Para mí no es el mejor de la serie pero tiene su encanto.
Natalie
This was fun. It was rompy and cute and I loved the side characters but I won't lie and say this was all just filler to get to Wulf's book for me. So sorry. Loved the island scene with Rachel and Alleyne and the horseriding stuff though.
Sonia189
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as engaging as the others, simply because too much was happening away from the other members of the family...
Samantha
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Like all of Mary Balogh's books, Slightly Sinful is charming, idyllic, and an escapist, romantic read. So if you enjoy the Bedwyn Saga, you definitely have to read it. That said, it wasn't my favorite of the series, and it took me awhile to get through this one. During parts I found it boring, and it was missing some of the spark of her better installments.

Slightly Sinful, the fourth installment, takes place parallel to the events of the third book, Slightly Tempted. While Morgan and Gervase are
KimberlyRose
Never tried a historical het romance ? Looking for direction? I whole-heartedly, hands clasped together before my chest, eyes all a-starry, direct you to the Welsh-Canadian Balogh.

I hate amnesia stories. This is an amnesia story. I love it. That's masterful writing, kids. Alleyne's struggle is realistic, not used as a trope, a contrived plot device. The amnesia isn't the story, but it begins the story. The plot is complicated, engaging, and believable.

I hate stories with many central characters
Ana Luisa
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A serie dos irmãos Bedwyn tem sido religiosamente seguida por mim. Desde a publicação dos dois primeiros livros da autora, pela Asa , que seriam uma introdução para esta mesma serie que tenho ficado sempre muito entusiasmada de cada vez que tenho conhecimento que vai sair mais um livro da autora. Pronto, também tenho de confessar que este é um dos meus géneros literários favoritos, mas não é só por isso. Mary Balogh tem uma forma mais especial de contar as
Cris
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mal terminei o livro da Morgan e já comecei o do Alleyne. Queria saber que diabos aconteceu com ele, se bem que a gente tem uma pista do acontecido quando o Gervase vai procurar por noticias dele no campo de batalha.
Alleyne estava trabalhando como mensageiro no campo de batalha, quando foi atingido por um tiro e caiu do cavalo. Ele ficou desacordado e foi encontrado horas depois de terminada a batalha por Rachael.
Ela e as amigas estavam passando por uma situação difícil, todas as suas economias
Mariazita
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E este romance encantador é vivido pelo jovem Alleyne, o mais jovem membro da família Bedwyn, e pela jovem Rachel que o vai encontrar e nu e ferido num bosque .
Durante a batalha de Watwerloo, Lord Alleyne é atingido a tiro quando levava uma importante carta, no meio da batalha foi deixado a sua sorte e ferido.
Rachel vive num bordel e ela e mais 4 mulheres que ai vivem decidem procurar os bens deixados pelos mortos, já que tendo sido enganadas pelo um falso pastor ficaram sem dinheiro.Nenhuma del
Ana Luisa Henriques
"Ligeiramente Indecente" é um livro que se lê bem e tem o doce sabor de nos trazer de volta à família Bedwyn. No entanto, é também uma história que se passa maioritariamente longe desta uma vez que Alleyne perdeu a memória e grande parte do tempo a acção desenrola-se fora do foco familiar.

Alleyne acorda sem memória depois de ter sido baleado na guerra de Waterloo e acordo no céu... com um anjo dourado a olhar para ele. O anjo é Rachel e o céu é um bordel gerido por quatro amigas, mais humanas qu
Tania Martins
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gostei de entrar novamente no universo dos Bedwyn desta feita com Alleyne como protagonista e com uma tímida Rachel embora tenha sentido falta da dinâmica familiar e da confusão do costume nestes livros...

Inicialmente encontramos Alleyne desmemoriado depois de ser ferido na batalha de Waterloo salvo por uma Rachel jovem e determinada que cuida dele e que ao mesmo tempo começa a apaixonar-se pelo seu paciente embora conviva com mais quatro amigas num bordel de Bruxelas não sendo uma delas mas que
  • Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)
  • To Rescue A Rogue (Company of Rogues, #13)
  • Miss Wonderful (Carsington Brothers, #1)
  • Something Sinful (Griffin Family, #3)
  • Kiss Me, Annabel (Essex Sisters, #2)
  • It Happened One Night
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
  • To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • The Rake (Davenport, #2)
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more
More about Mary Balogh

Bedwyn Saga (6 books)
  • Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1)
  • Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)
  • Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)
  • Slightly Tempted (Bedwyn Saga, #4)
  • Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • As You Wish (A Summerhouse Novel)
    $12.01 $2.99
  • Love, Life, and the List
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Top Ten
    $9.00 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
“Where was Bewcastle?
But then he was there, standing on the terrace some distance away, and such was the power of his presence that everyone seemed to sense it an fell back away from Alleyne even as they stopped talking. There was still all sorts of noise, of course - horses, carriage wheels, voices, the water spouting out of the fountain - but it seemed to Alleyne as if complete silence fell.
Bewcastle had already seen him. His gaze was steady and silver-eyed and inscrutable. His hand reached for the gold-handled, jewel-studded quizzing glass he always wore with formal attire and raised it halfway to his eyes in a characteristic gesture. Then he came striding along the terrace with uncharacteristic speed and did not stop coming until he had caught Alleyne up in a tight, wordless embrace that lasted perhaps a whole minute while Alleyne dipped his forehead to his brother's shoulder and felt at last that he was safe.
It was an extraordinary moment. He had been little more than a child when his father died, but Wulfric himself had been only seventeen. Alleyne had never thought of him as a father figure. Indeed, he had often resented the authority his brother wielded over them with such unwavering strictness, and often with apparant impersonality and lack of humor. He had always thought of his eldest brother as aloof, unfeeling, totally self sufficient. A cold fish. And yet it was in Wulfric's arm that he felt his homecoming most acutely. He felt finally and completely and unconditionally loved.
An extraordinary moment indeed.”
13 likes
“If you are never frightened, sir, you would never find out what you was made of and what you was capable of doing. You would never become a better man than what you started out being. P'raps this is what you will discover - what you are made of and what you are capable of. And when you finally do remember who you are, p'raps you will find that you have become a better man than he ever was. P'raps he was a man why never ever grew any more once he reached manhood. P'raps he needed to do something drastic like losing his memory so that he could get his life unstuck.” 4 likes