Start by marking “Taken by the Others (H&W Investigations, #2)” as Want to Read:
Taken by the Others (H&W Investigations, #2)

Taken by the Others

(H&W Investigations #2)

Once, New York P.I. Shiarra Waynest’s most pressing problem was keeping her agency afloat. Now she’s dealing with two dangerous, seductive vampires who have been enemies for centuries. The only thing Max Carlyle and Alec Royce agree on is that they both want Shia–for very different reasons.

Max is determined to destroy Shia for killing his progeny, while Royce’s interest is
Paperback, 1st Edition, 352 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by Zebra (first published December 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Taken by the Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken by the Others

Shera (Book Whispers)
ARC Book will be released January 4, 2011

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Thoughts:

After reading Hunted by the Others, the first book in the H&W investigations series, I had lumped it as stereotypical comfort food for UF fans. Sure Haines had a very unique world where the Others are governed by law and can't just change people willy nilly. There was still something missing for me and with book number two I figured I'd get another 3/5 book. Haines definitely blew me out of the water.

The plot picks up an
Shelley
*Rating* 3.0
*Genre*

*Review*

Jess Haines’ Taken by The Others is the second installment in the H&W Investigations series featuring Shiarra (Shia) Waynest as a private investigator who works and lives in New York City. She is one hundred percent human like her business partner Sara and was once fully entrenched in the Anti-Others feelings like her parents. Things have since changed since Hunted by The Others, the first book in the series.

Shia is still contractually obligated and bound by contra
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

TAKEN BY THE OTHERS proves that even ancient vampires aren't above acting stupid over a woman. And, not only that, but these two elders are too self-involved to realize that the heroine doesn't actually want either of them, because she's already dating a hunky werewolf named Chaz. MEN! Granted, their motivations are slightly different, however at the end of the day it all comes down to jealousy. Six months have gone by since the previous installment, and Waynest was stil
Julie
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

Taken by the Others is the second book in Jess Haines’ H&W Investigations series. No I did not read book one. I know, I know, so not like me! Well, there was a slight mix up and I got book two. But you know what? It turned out okay.

The book opens with Shiarra, our heroine, having to talk someone down who just happens to have a gun pointed to her head. Yeah. I have to tell you, with an opening like that, you know you are in for a fast paced re
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Aug 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy fans
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Review request by author
New York P.I. Shiarra Waynest has quite the problem in the second instalment of the H&W Investigations series by Jess Haines. TAKEN BY THE OTHERS starts off with a little trouble in paradise between Shia and her werewolf boyfriend, Chaz. When Chaz misses their date, Shia strikes out by calling in Alec Royce, the most powerful and lethally gorgeous vampire in New York for some business. But when her doorbell rings, Shia faces someone much worse than Alec Royce...

Max Carlyle is coming to town
Ferdy
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Spoilers

The storyline was so boring. Shia gets kidnapped by Max - a vampire who hates Royce, and then she just frets and moans about everything and has to be saved by a bunch of other people.

-Shia was pushed around and manipulated by everyone — she was so powerless. I hate reading about heroines that have no control of their own lives and that have to rely on their love interests to save them. I would have preferred if Shia had been able to fight without having to beg help from a ton of other p
Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
Non stop action and revelations, this go round. And a bit more hardcore and angsty than I expected, but never the less damn good. We got to experience a lot more Royce in this one too.

(view spoiler)
He110Ne0
If you read my review of the first book of this series, "Hunted By The Others," you'd know that I'm not really a fan of main heroine Shiarra (Shia) Waynest and the world she lives in. However, I purchased a collection of the first 4 books of The Others' series by Jess Haines so I figured I'd muscle through.

SO! Without further ado, here's a spoiler free review of book two.

Shiarra (I'll just call her Shia as the author does from here on out) falls into the writer's trap of telling the reader she
Danielle (Danniegurl)
Review to come.
Shia isn't too likable.

Shia isn't a kick ass heroine, but she does have a sort of backbone even if she does fumble through investigations and has to be rescued.

In this book it's been quite a while from the last book I can't tell if it's been over a year or we are in the same year just more than 6 months past. This is because at one point Shia mentions about last using the belt a year ago, and then a few pages later mentions that earlier in the year Sarah was kidnapped. Those even
Fangs for the Fantasy
There’s a new vampire in town and he is not happy with Shiarra – blaming her for killing his progeny. Of course, it’s only a deeper excuse to make a move against Royce over a deep seated grudge that goes back centuries. And Shiarra is a perfect tool to advance that revenge.

But who can protect her from the revenge of a vampire that ancient? Royce, perhaps – but would that mean putting herself even more under his control and how sure can she be that she can trust him?

But are the authorities suffic
Torzilla
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, reviewed
Phew, so some time has passed since I finished reading TBTO and I must say that, while my fangirl squealing over the epic fight in this book has somewhat lessened, my adoration for this book has not.

While I'm going to avoid going into details regarding what happens in this book, I will say this: the plot started out somewhat slow. Naive little me thought blasphemous thoughts at the start, such as: "oh no, what if I don't like TBTO as much as HBTO?!" Rest assured all, the beginning may be slow, b
Stephanie  G
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
In this New York there are Others, and humans. The Others are vamps, weres, mages and some other strange critters like elves. The vamps, weres and mages have made the mortal world aware of their existence. This springs up anti-other groups like the White Hats. I do recommend reading the first book. The second book continues to build on Shiarra’s relationships.

Last time we left Shiarra she had just saved Weres and a super old vamp from a powerful charm. This time she is contacted by the White Hat
Mandi Schreiner
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Private Investigator Shiarra Waynest can’t catch a break. Although she only wants to investigate humans, she has found herself tangled up with The Others. Out to the public since 9/11, The Others – vampires, werewolves etc..have used their money to spin a positive light on themselves but Shiarra knows just how dangerous they can be. Although she is dating Chazz, a were and trusts him, by a turn of events in the previous book, she is now contracted to head vampire Alec Royce – which means it is l ...more
Orchid
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contest-wins, arcs
ARC Review:

I was a bit nervous going into reading Taken by the Others, because it was my first review copy, but it was an absolutely thrilling read and I cannot wait to get my hands on the first book in the series to see how it all started.

One of the things that fascinated me the most about the story was how the Others presence were known by everyone and knowledge of them wasn’t just limited to those who either hunted them or had a run in with them at some point. Plus it was interesting to see t
All Things Urban Fantasy
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Pure fun. That’s what Jess gave us with HUNTED BY THE OTHERS and that’s what she delivers in the follow up, TAKEN BY THE OTHERS. Well, that and nonstop action, some of the best romantic tension in urban fantasy, and a heroine who just gets better with every book.

Royce and Shia have a pitch perfect urban fantasy relationship. He wants her for semi nefarious purposes (and he just plain wants her). She is rightly terrified of him half of the time and terri
Larissa
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Previously Published on my blog: Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life

*SPOILER FREE

After the events in Hunted by The Others changed Shiarra’s life so completely, it was hard for me to imagine where Jess Haines would be able to take these adventures.

Taken by the Others is all about the Vamps and once again Shiarra finds herself right in the thick of things, even when she doesn’t really mean to.

Well, being tempted to join the anti-paranormal group The White Hats, dating a were, being contracted to a V
Jess
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, urban-fantasy
This is the second book in the Shiarra Waynest series (aka H&W Investigations series) and it definitely fulfilled my expectations. I'm so glad this book ended up being just as good as the first and wasn't a flop. Shiarra Waynest is the main character in this series and she is a P.I. who is human. Shiarra is still getting over her last encounter with the Others (supernatural beings) and has vowed to stay away from the more dangerous beings, like Royce. Little does she know, trouble is heading ...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Taken by the Others is an interesting read. There is so much going on within the novel that sometimes I felt slightly overwhelmed. I do like how Ms. Haines has the paranormal world out in the open, allowing for more interesting plotlines. The tension between Alec, Shia, and Chaz adds to the scenery, giving the characters more hurdles to jump over and adding depth to this novel. It will be interesting to see where the series is headed from here.

Danielle
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More

F
Kathryn
Shiarra has been taken. Now that can mean a lot, and it does in this continuation of our paranormal detective. Feuding Elder Vamps, Were's with things on their mind, a partner in a new relationship and some surprising new characters pop in along the way. This story will keep you flipping the pages (sliding the pages?) along and make your eyes widen at some of the antics Shiarra falls into, becomes a part of and just plain, causes.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A human PI drawn into a struggle of “vampiric” proportions. Tensions within the story revolve around the fear of being too enamored into another’s life, at the loss of one’s own personality.

Opening Sentence: I don’t usually have people pointing guns in my face.

The Review:

The second installment of H & W Investigations series, Taken by the Others, sheds light on Shiarra Waynest’s thoughts and fears relating to the Others, or supernaturals
Stella
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Phew *exhales* It ended.. And what action! Book 2 really blew it out of the park and now I can't wait to read Book 3! What a ride!! wow :-D

Detailed review: When I picked up Hunted by the Others the first book in the series I had high expectations: some of my favourite bloggers stated it was the beginning of a fantastic new series and gave it 5 stars, so I was impressed and my curiosity was piqued). My impressions of Hunted by the Others were that the narrative flew so naturally, that before I re
Gail Hermann
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series!

Ms. Haines characters have totally captivated me. Shia is a great leading character. She's tough but still unsure enough of herself to be believable. Add in irresistible vampires, handsome weres and mages and you've got a great story!
Tina
Claire
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the new characters in this story, in spite of it being a bit formulaic. I liked how we got to see another side of the main character.
Liz
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal and paranormal romance
Recommended to Liz by: Jess Haines
In the second book in the series, Taken by the Others, things become more dangerous for our heroine, Shiarra Waynest, with the arrival of a new vampire in town. His name is Max Carlyle and he’s after Shia.

“Taken by the Others” takes place a couple of months after the end of “Hunted”. Shiarra is fully recovered from her near-death experience and eager to just put the past to rest and get on with her ‘normal’ investigating. The scene opens with the leader of the White Hats organization, Jack, once
Marianne
Being a master vampire like Alec Royce, must be nice. Sure, you'll make a few enemies along the way, but as an immortal, you'll simply outlive them. Problem solved.

Unless, of course, said enemy is another, just as ancient, just as powerful immortal. Like Max Carlyle. Both vampire masters now have their eyes set on Shiarra, but for very different reasons...

Shiarra has gradually accepted the idea that the Others she has viewed as monsters for so long, may not all be that bad. She’s beginning to se
Lady Rogue
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sara
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Plot: 4 Stars
This is one of the few novels I've read that has included a vampire-biting scene that was truly scary and definitely not sexual in any way. That scene reinforced my love for this series because the vampires are evil and scary, and I love that. As the title suggests, Shia is taken (or kidnapped) by some of the others in New York. While kidnapping is normally a plot point that I find a bit boring, the author definitely made it interesting and necessary to the plot. All in all, Shia's
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read Jess Haines' debut Hunted by the Others a few months ago and immediately fell into her world that seems so much like ours but in the distant (maybe not so distant, lol!) future. Taken by the Others picks up a few months later and Shiarra's life is just starting to get to somewhat normal when more trouble strikes, for any book wouldn't be interesting if there wasn't a whole mess of trouble!

Shiarra finds herself neck deep in trouble when another vampire, Max Carlyle rolls into town and want
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Another Kind of Dead (Dreg City, #3)
  • Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2)
  • Frostbound: The Dark Forgotten
  • Fire Kissed (Shadow Kissed, #1)
  • Blood Secrets (Alexandra Sabian, #2)
  • Arcane Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #4)
  • The Bitter Seed of Magic (Spellcrackers.com, # 3)
  • Tempest's Legacy (Jane True, #3)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Blood of Innocence (Sloane Skye, #2)
  • Chosen by Fate (Para-Ops, #2)
  • Siren Song (Blood Singer, #2)
  • Death's Sweet Embrace (Dark Brethren #2)
  • Secret Santa (Secret McQueen #2.5)
  • Break of Dawn (Vampire Babylon, #3)
  • Changeling Dream (Changeling, #2)
  • Bloodshot (Cheshire Red Reports, #1)
  • Twice Dead (Haven, #2)
I'm a USA Today and international bestselling author. I consider myself a displaced New Yorker with a penchant for the silly, the obscure, and the fantastical. These days, you can find me in the Tampa area. I'm currently working on the H&W Investigations urban fantasy series and the Blackhollow Academy young adult/new adult contemporary fantasy series. Find out more about my books, drop me a l ...more

H&W Investigations (6 books)
  • Hunted by the Others (H&W Investigations, #1)
  • Deceived by the Others (H&W Investigations, #3)
  • Stalking the Others (H&W Investigations, #4)
  • Forsaken by the Others (H&W Investigations, #5)
  • Enslaved By the Others (H&W Investigations, #6)