Start by marking “Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  2,289 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews

The Eleventh Edition of America's best-selling dictionary! An attractive burgundy leather-look version featuring more than 225,000 clear and precise definitions and newly added words and meanings. Includes an electronic version of the dictionary and a free one-year online subscription.

Published January 28th 1999 by Merriam-Webster, Inc. (first published 1843)

To ask other readers questions about Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

Seizure Romero
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all you lazy f***s who won't use spell check
Freaking brilliant. Totally unique plot structure and a surprise ending that just blew me away. I can't say too many good things and I just can't stop reading it. The author's vocabulary is astounding.
Mariel
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wordsworth
Recommended to Mariel by: Doogie Howser
Word.
Carl
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have only started reading this book but find the plot to be all over the place. I can't really get a feel for where the storyline is going. It really is broken up into such small chapters that I'm going crazy! I have at least come to find out that what I am feeling is "Angst".
James
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alas and alack, I'm pining away over the demise of my thumb-worn tenth edition. Something in the way she lay--her clothbound boards downy to the fingers; her notches guiding my thumb to just the right recess; her intoxicating fragrance, inside, along the spine--attracts me like no other printing.

Alas and alack! She is put to rest.

A consumation devoutly to be wished for?

The eleventh edition, uncouth imitation of the tenth, feels hard to the touch and looks just as adamant, with its garish, gloss
Steven Nutting
Only one "twist" and "turn" in the whole thing so far, but I am only on the V's.
Christy Stewart
The most detrimental book in existence and Satanic by, ironically, definition.

Language is the most influential tool in mind control. Language is the external expression of reality as a personal paradigm and supplanting one’s language into another is to manipulate the person into experiencing only what you allow.

Looking up the definition of a word is like unto sitting in a mass being given in a language foreign to you and being denied the opportunity to experience the Bible yourself. It is dogmat
Jessica Norman
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love words!!!!!!
A book that is truly timeless.
Beautifully written, thorough, descriptive.

They say reading is knowledge... well this book proves that for sure!!!

No seriously? I'm a total weirdo I do in fact read the dictionary on occasion. whatever...
Michael
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: college students, intellectuals, writers
Shelves: reference
I recently learned that it is considered standard to gift recent High School graduates, on their way to college with a copy of
Oh, the Places You'll Go!. While I love Dr. Suess as much as the next person, it strikes me as a fairly useless, even insulting, present to give a young adult as they prepare to up their academic game and take on the challenges and competition of University life. My parents gave me this, which I’ve kept all these years, not out of sentiment, but because it is a vital too
Monica
Oct 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one classic I'm not sure everyone has to read. Lacking a narrative cohesiveness one is left wondering: what is the plot? Who is the main character? Can you pick one setting instead of ALL settings? For the more conservative reader, you'll find fuck, shit, and jackass are treated on equal footing with honor, cloister, and the. Other than being the source of one of the best parlor games I've ever co-invented (The Dictionary Game) this unmemorable tome is just a glorified doorstop. (It also ...more
Tim Scherer
Jan 26, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so boring. The plot was very difficult to follow and for the life of me I could not identify the protagonist or antagonist... SPOILER ALERT: it ends in zygote!
Josh
May 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everone and No one
Recommended to Josh by: Everybody and Nobody
What a wonderful book!!! I've read it like 63,000 times, I loved the characters, the plot was AWESOME, one of the best plots i ever read, though it was kinda hard to distinguish the plot cuz the whole thing's in alphabetical order and ya have to kinda re arrange the words to understand it, but hey, it's a small price to pay for a really great book! I hope Mr. Webster writes a sequel :)
Tom
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This by far is the worst book i've ever read. It makes no sense at all. There's no story line. No climax. No resolution or even a protagonist. I mean tells you what a protagonist is but there isn't one. This book is literally just a bunch of random words listed in alphabetically order and some information about the words. I can't even pronounce some of these words. This book is a piece of shit and couldn't even finish it. Merriam-Webster is the worst book author ever. Just thinking about this bo ...more
7709kayla
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no clear plot to this book, no characters, no foundation. The authors word choices are astounding and truly descriptive.
Mike Cyra
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-classics
My Dad always told me, "You want a good book to read? Pick up a dictionary." He was right.
Brett James
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eye-opening. Drags a little toward the middle.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Writes in American English
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: The Copyeditor's Handbook
Everyone should own a collegiate dictionary--that is, a substantial, if still abridged, dictionary with far more information than you find by just googling a word--or that would even fit in a pocket dictionary. Well, anyone who has to routinely compose writing more complex than grocery lists. My old Random House College Dictionary proved perfectly serviceable for decades--which was the problem. The copyright was 1984. You couldn't even find the word "internet" there, let alone such words in my s ...more
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERY NERD IN THE WORLD!!
WOW!!! What an amazing book! It was so intense, I could not put it down! The duct tape almost fell off of my octagon-shaped glasses! I already knew what was in it, but it still made me use my HOTT tye-dye t-shirt for tissues sometimes!
Coyora Dokusho
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My edition looks like this one (the blue one not the red one) and I am communing with this Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary (c) 1965 to better understand my character who loves this book DEARLY. -hugs the book- my precious!!!!
Lafcadio
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fern
There are many dictionaries in the world. Many crappy dictionaries. I quite enjoy this one. It seldom lets me down. I use it so often, I can find it on my shelf in the dark. What better way to spend a Saturday Night?
Rick Bavera
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I constantly use this book. It is a great reference book.
Karen
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not kidding...one of my favorite books because anything ever written or read is in there...it's just a matter of putting the words in good order.
Steven
Oct 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
too many words
Pork Fried Rice
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this saved my life several times. once from a bullet, once from a drunk driver, and several times on ela projects.
Laina
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haha okay okay, so I haven't actually read the WHOLE dictionary, but I feel like it's worth mentioning! Do we ever give the dictionary enough credit? I THINK NOT! :P
Robert 11
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!!!
Becky
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My roommate salvaged our copy from a trash bin. I like the way the red linen cover feels, despite the water stains.

I hope they're water stains.
Joshua Huesing
Jul 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I figured out the plot about 12 pages in. Character development was weak. The ending was so predictable. I was looking forward to the movie until I heard Nicholas cage was getting the lead.
Thomas Walton
Very dry, I read it bits at a time. tough vocabulary, I have yet to figure out the story line, the theme seems to jump all over the place
CHARLES SCOTT JOHNSON
I downloaded and use with my Kindle Fire.
Susan Molloy
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woo hoo! Words! With definitions, too!
Book Buying Addic...: Words 2 24 Apr 04, 2014 09:55AM
Definitions not given on first page 1 2 Oct 28, 2013 06:39AM
Who goes to the library regularly 2 2 Jan 31, 2013 11:49AM
Dictionaries have chapters. 22 16 Oct 23, 2011 01:21PM
  • Roget's International Thesaurus
  • Webster's New World Thesaurus
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus (21st Century Reference)
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • The Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • Bantam New College Latin and English Dictionary
  • Cassell's Standard Latin Dictionary
  • The Synonym Finder
  • The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update [with CD]
  • The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law
  • Words into Type
  • Chambers Dictionary of Etymology
Merriam-Webster, Incorporated, is an American company that publishes reference books, especially dictionaries.

In 1831, George and Charles Merriam founded the company as G & C Merriam Co. in Springfield, Massachusetts. In 1843, after Noah Webster died, the company bought the rights to An American Dictionary of the English Language from Webster's estate. All Merriam-Webster dictionaries trace th
More about Merriam-Webster...

“GENUINE MERRIAM-WEBSTER The name Webster alone is no guarantee of excellence. It is” 0 likes
“name Webster alone is no guarantee of excellence. It is used by a number of publishers and may serve mainly” 0 likes