Start by marking “Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Race, Gender, and Sexual Orientation” as Want to Read:
Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Race, Gender, and Sexual Orientation

Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Race, Gender, and Sexual Orientation

Praise for Microaggressions in Everyday Life "In a very constructive way, Dr. Sue provides time-tested psychological suggestions to make our society free of microaggressions. It is a brilliant resource and ideal teaching tool for all those who wish to alter the forces that promote pain for people."
--Melba J. T. Vasquez, PhD, ABPPPresident, American Psychological Associati
Published February 22nd 2010 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Microaggressions in Everyday Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microaggressions in Everyday Life

Start your review of Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Race, Gender, and Sexual Orientation
Gayle Pitman
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Derald Wing Sue is a rock star in the world of multicultural psychology and anti-racism work. He was one of my graduate-level professors and is a class act. The concept of microaggressions is a relatively new idea in the psychology of prejudice, discrimination, and oppression, and Sue addresses this phenomenon - the experience of subtle, covert, under-the-radar forms of discrimination and marginalization - and backs it with the latest scientific findings. While Sue addresses race, gender, and se ...more
mis fit
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
someone already commented: this is a must read for anyone who interacts with other people. Yep, it's absolutely true.

this book gave me a really invaluable framework for understanding some of the messed up, ambiguous things that go on in social interaction and how people react to them. it helps to be able to identify microaggressions as such and recognize myself as both a perpetrator and target. i mean, i saw myself a lot in this book. i think it's a great contribution to understanding and challe
Harold
Feb 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
I suppose that I haven't finished the entire book but I can't help but feel this book is being over hyped. Yes, microaggressions exist. And Dr. Sue does a wonderful job in illustrating what microaggressions are and how they can cause harm. And for a lot of people that is enough. But when I bought this book I at least expected a more thought out explanation of why microaggressions exist the "hurr durr racism."

And that is my big problem with the book. I like psychology. I like to read books about
Tammy
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you work with people, you should read this. A deep look into what we say and how it's perceived. ...more
Garni
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Must read for anyone in relationship or who
Interacts with other people. Period.
Keiko SHIKITA Yasushima
Mar 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
邦訳版を読了。人種、ジェンダー、性的指向に基づくマイクロアグレッションについて具体例をふんだんに盛り込みながら詳細に論じられている。マイクロアグレッションの中にも種類があり、特にマイクロインバリデーション(無効化)については、一番わかりにくいが頻繁に起こっている事象なのではないかと考えた。カラーブラインドはマイクロインバーリデーションの一形態で、メリトクラシーの神話とも相まってマイノリティが評価されない状況を正当化してしまう。アカデミー賞で「ミナリ」がアジア系アメリカ人の監督作品として初めて最優秀作品賞としてノミネートされ、Steven Yuenが主演男優賞にノミネートされたのもアジア系として史上初というニュースが数日前に報道された。この本を読み進めているところだったので、ハリウッドに蔓延する白人至上主義は深刻であり、マイノリティが排除され続けてきたという指摘が腑に落ちた。翻訳もわかりやすく、今のタイミングで読めて良かったと思える一冊だった。
Carolyn
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MICROAGGRESSIONS: Commonplace, brief verbal, behavioral, or environmental indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative racial, gender, sexual-orientation, and religious slights and insults to the target person or group. Perpetrators of microaggressions are often unaware that they engage in such communications when they interact with racial/ethnic minorities.

This book was informative in so many ways. Because I had it on loan from the library
Madeline
Apr 02, 2014 marked it as incomplete
I think this is a really great book, and I didn't read all of it. So naturally I'm going to talk about two tiny things that don't actually have much of an impact on the value of this book.

1) I'm not sure street harassment and racial slurs count as micro aggressions.

2) President Obama's first name is misspelled every time it appears [that I saw]. Maybe the copy editor should be taken aside?
Elaina
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative

I used this book as a reference to give a presentation about Microaggressions and how to deal with them constructively. It was very useful and made for a productive presentation.
Delores
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I turned a little sour on him when at the beginning of his book, he himself falls into the microagression trap when he talks about females. I've got the place marked but I'm not interested enough right now in going to my book shelf, plucking down the book, and giving you the page number. ...more
TJ
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry
Tad expensive but worth every penny. Blew my mind and helped me understand so much
Ms. Yvette
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Should be mandatory reading for every teacher and mental health professional, especially.
Adam Ross
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: culture, psychology
Microaggressions have gotten a bad rap in the media in the last couple of years, who usually associate them with overly-fragile millennials, who are, if these commentariats are to be believed, the source of all things lazy and pathetic in modern life. Given that this construction of millennials is entirely mythological (as a generation, we are the hardest working, lowest-compensated, most eager to volunteer, most interested in matters of justice, and most concerned about the well-being of others ...more
Tyff
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book would be a great tool for introducing intercultural communication in the USA and for students to question their assumptions of others.

If you have ever locked your car doors when you see a group of black kids approaching you then this book is a MUST read.

If you are a person of color you will relate to soo much discussed here. Basically it explains what you feel in some situations yet cannot quite determine why it feels racist.

Don't believe microagression exists? Check out this story
Whitney
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
So good! I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 only because I think the lay reader only needs to really read the first half or so to get Sue's argument. Racial microaggressions explain so much about the persistence of racism in a world that claims to deplore racism. Every year I tell my students that the (only) good thing about the fact that race is a social construct is that if we made it, we can get rid of it. And while understanding microaggressions helps me see the problem so much more clearly, it ...more
Rants and Bants
Sep 20, 2016 marked it as will-never-read
If "microaggressions" are a thing (usually they're nothing more than an SJW getting their panties twisted over a mere disagreement or something equally harmless), then they exist against everyone. NOT just the "traditionally disadvantaged groups." Which by that they probably mean women, minorities, and lgbt peoples despite the fact that many of them have decent well-off lives and plenty of straight white males out there are poor, and THAT is what disadvantaged truly means. But I digress. ...more
Kim
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book and learning more about a topic that gets thrown around on the internet. I am much more knowledgeable having read this book.

The focus is on microaggressions and how they relate to race, gender, and sexual orientation. Reading the sections on gender and sexual orientation were validating, illuminating, and accurately describe my (or close friends)experiences...the sections on race made me think about how I move throughout the world.
Tz348
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
rigid prose
vivid examples
Matt
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sue continues to be pushing psychology and multiculturalism further ahead.
Mills College Library
Nov 12, 2015
Xing Kongjing
May 23, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Fortune and Glory (Stephanie Plum, #27)
  • Subtle Acts of Exclusion: How to Understand, Identify, and Stop Microaggressions
  • The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration
  • Faggots
  • No, You Shut Up: Speaking Truth to Power and Reclaiming America
  • The Answer Is…: Reflections on My Life
  • Mediocre: The Dangerous Legacy of White Male America
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?
  • Mothers Who Can't Love: A Healing Guide for Daughters
  • Behind the Veil: An American Woman's Memoir of the 1979 Iran Hostage Crisis
  • The Cult of Trump: A Leading Cult Expert Explains How the President Uses Mind Control
  • Charmfall (The Dark Elite, #3)
  • Citizen: An American Lyric
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
  • Half of a Yellow Sun
Derald Wing Sue is a professor of counseling psychology at Columbia University. He has authored several books, including Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice, Overcoming our Racism, and Understanding Abnormal Behavior.

News & Interviews

Nature, in Her infinite awesomeness, can provide solace even when you’re stuck in the house. As a matter of fact, the numbers suggest that...