Start by marking “The Courage of Sarah Noble” as Want to Read:
The Courage of Sarah Noble

The Courage of Sarah Noble

In this Newbery Honor book classic, young Sarah learns how to be brave even when the world is strange and new.

In 1707, young Sarah Noble and her father traveled through the wilderness to build a new home for their family. “Keep up your courage, Sarah Noble,” her mother had said, but Sarah found that it was not always easy to feel brave inside. The dark woods were full of
Published October 30th 1991 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 1954)

Rian
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: native-american
Summary: this tells the story of Sarah Noble who traveled with her father in 1707 to help build their family's new home in New Milford, CT. It is on the list of books not recommended by the Oyate website.

Response 1 (before reading the Oyate evaluation): As I am reading, I am going to record my predictions of what the Oyate reviewers will find disturbing:
- the purchase of the land by the white men
- the Robinson children's manner of talking about "the Indians" (p. 10-11) an
Ginette
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I know this book has been criticized for portraying Native Americans in a negative light and propagating false information about them, but, considering that it is based on a true story and from the point of view of an 8-year-old pioneer girl in the 1700s, it is probably an accurate portrayal of what people would think or say about Native Americans at the time. The use of the term "Indians," while inaccurate at best and offensive at worst, was what people in the 1700s called them (or worse). I no ...more
Hannah
The simple yet lovely writing structure and the beautiful black and brown illustrations by Leonard Weisgard places this book in my list of favorite childhood reads that spawned a lifelong love of historical fiction and non-fiction.

Sarah Noble was an 8 year old girl who traveled with her father to the Connecticut wilderness in 1707. They became the first white settlers in what is now New Milford, Connecticut.

I was somewhat surprised to find that this book is controversial for it's portrayal of native American/white relations.
Phil Jensen
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
It's not that bad: A defense of Sarah Noble

Read in the most flattering light, Sarah Noble is a story of relationships conquering racism. There are many attitudes towards American Indians expressed in the novel, and the characters who have the most contact with the Indians become the least racist about them. For example, Sarah Noble is terrified of the Indians until she spends some time with them.

Some readers complain about the passage in which Sarah wonders whether she is allowed to pray for
Julie
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a treasure. Even though it was published in the mid-1950s, it does not feel dated, and the illustrations still seem to jump off of the pages.

I enjoyed reading it as an adult, and girls in grades 1-4 would probably enjoy it as much as I did.

Graceanne
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this book
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

The Courage of Sarah Noble is a short chapter book set in 1707, which is suitable for second and third graders. It tells the story of a real child who accompanies her father into the wilderness to cook his meals while he builds their family a new home. Sarah is nervous, but reminds herself of her mother's advice to hold on to her courage. When Sarah's father goes back to bring the rest of the family to the new house, Sarah must stay behi
Linda Lipko
I'm seriously rethinking my goal of reading all Newbery medal and honor books. Some of the early ones are very silly and not worth the time spent in reading them.

This was a Newbery honor book from 1955 regarding a young nine year old girl who travels in the wilderness with her father to stake claim to land cleared by American Indians. Sarah befriends the Indians and stays with them when her father returns home to fetch the rest of the family to live in the house newly built with the
Jacklyn (ReadingBliss)
Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. Moving to a new home, surrounded by rumors of evil natives (indians), circled by strangers with a a foreign tongue, after a long journey on foot, Sarah Noble remembers the parting words her mother gave her to keep her strong. Through all the scary trials- and there are quite a many for a young child- Sara Noble takes you with her as she learns to brave through things while still being afraid, finding the best type of courage of all.

Based on a true stor
Anna Grace
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recently found this in the children's library I work at and remembered it as my favorite book of third grade. I was thrilled to be able to read it again. I'd forgotten that it is based on a true story, making it all the more important. I love Sarah's character development as she continuously faces challenges that most eight year olds would not have to face. Living in the woods with her father to cook with him, far away from her home and family, she learns to fend for herself. When her father n ...more
Lisa Bittle
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute story for young readers and audiences of all ages. My children from 3years to 15 years enjoyed the reading of it. Liked how it showed time period concerns.
Gina
Mar 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
ZERO STARS, for its appalling depiction of Native Americans. In "The Courage of Sarah Noble", Sarah's courage is praised, but just what is it that Sarah is facing with such bravery? "Indians [who] will eat you." Sarah is afraid of things in the dark, because they might be Indians. She freezes "still as a rabbit in danger" when Indian children approach. When she finally musters up the much-applauded courage to interact, she can't be bothered with "the long, long names of the children, so she call ...more
Nancy
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Really nice story. I will be sharing it with my 9 year old daughter. I was surprised at how contemporary the thought processes were, given the year it was published (1954). It has very good themes about inclusion, racism, and the courage it takes to embrace others different from you when your culture is against it--but simplistic enough that it is eminently readable.
Jana Eads
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-kids
This is a favorite book to share with my little girls. Our family lives in a poverty-stricken country in East Africa where our kids are regularly expected to be brave and mingle with people who have very different living conditions, customs, and ways of interacting and playing. I love Sarah Noble's inner struggle through this short story and also her child-like trust in the native American people who care for her.
LaRae
I’ve been reading Alice Dalgliesh’s Newbery winners, and finished with this childhood favorite.

I loved Sarah Noble then, and I still do. The straightforward prose and simple illustrations make this a classic telling of a true story. This book helped spark my love of historic fiction.
Julie NZ
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I rate this book at 3.5 stars. Some of it's content is problematic but the book was set in the early 17oos when some people held these views. Setting that aside, the story was still enjoyable and I liked how Sarah's character developed through this book.
Bobbie Sue Davis
Sweet and charming.
Katielin317
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this with my 2nd grader and it was just so good. He loved and I loved it. Sarah Noble really was so courageous. She was dependable and brave when her father had to leave her behind for a little while with a native American family. Every child should read this book.
Malinda
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
My boys and I read this in one short sitting and all enjoyed it
Nicola Mansfield
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This is probably my 4th time reading this book. It doesn't warrant that many readings but I read it as a kid, read it aloud to my kids and just re-read it now since I haven't reviewed it here yet. A Newbery Honor Award Winner, ...Sarah Noble is a well-written frontier story set in Connecticut. It's a nice story based on a true family, that very little detail exists about and has become more legendary than historical fact. Father and daughter travel across state to settle on new land and this eas ...more
Karen
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mom, jacob, ellie
We read this book last summer. We now have a saying...."Keep up your courage, keep up your courage" from this book. Definitely going to read again so my six (and eight) year old will remember it even more. 3/31/15

Ellie read this book to herself and rated it 5 stars as part of the Pizza Hut Book It program...krb 10/6/16
Beth Anne
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, read-aloud
This was another fantastic read-aloud. Set in early 1700s America, the simple story inspired courage and bravery in the face of the unknown. Emma was absolutely captivated and we read the entire second half in one sitting.
Svalora
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Another one I listened to. Found in our library and thought I'd give it a try. I appreciated the historical value, but found it to be an anticlimactic story -- especially in today's age. Enjoyed it, but wouldn't recommend it :-/
Selah Pike
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good historical fiction for the elementary school set. Dalgleish handled the prejudices of the time well.
Paige Lemmon
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good historical fiction
momma.hailey
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story! Perfect for all ages, especially the 6-10 range. Vivien read this as part of her history curriculum and after she referenced it a few times I knew she wanted to discuss it.
Angela
Sep 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Assigned for American literature per several suggestions of various texts. Too simple, even for a five year old, and I did not like how it portrayed the Native Americans.
Amanda Kearney
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It is a historical fiction book based on a true story about a girl who goes out to find a home for her family with her dad. It takes place in 1707, well before America became a country. They run into Indians, and the first time Sarah saw Indians she was all alone. Sarah is only eight years old and throughout the whole book, she has to be very brave. The whole family could not come because Sarah's mom was about to have a child, and so Sarah's dad John Noble just took her ...more
Heather Mize
Nope......

I know this book was written in 1954 and has some outdated ideas.
But, this is a Newberry book......

Sarah Noble’s father takes her away into the woods while he builds a house. Not sure why that was a necessary thing to do, but ok. So, little Sarah’s story begins.

Sarah’s dad builds the house and then leaves her with friendly AmerIndians while he goes back to collect the rest of the family. Also, an interesting choice, but ok.

In the end, the family is back toget
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Frontier Living: An Illustrated Guide to Pioneer Life in America
  • The Light at Tern Rock
  • Swift Rivers
  • The Perilous Road
Family: Born in Trinidad, British West Indies; naturalized U.S. citizen; died in Woodbury, CT; daughter of John and Alice (Haynes) Dalgliesh.

Educator, editor, book reviewer, and author, Dalgliesh was an elementary school teacher for nearly seventeen years, and later taught a course in children's literature at Columbia University. From 1934 to 1960 she served as children's book editor for Charles
“Friends have ways of speaking without words.” 13 likes
“after the first time they did not listen. So Sarah tried teaching them words. Pointing to the table, stool, fire, she would say the name slowly and clearly. Then the Indian children said—or tried to say—the words, shouting with laughter when their tongues could not find a way around the strange sounds. They, in turn, showed her where the wild strawberries grew. So she went out and filled a basket with the berries, which were like red jewels in the grass. When John Noble came home with a duck he had shot, or a fish caught in the river, he would find ripe berries waiting, too. They traded with” 0 likes