Start by marking “The Evolution of Childhood: Relationships, Emotion, Mind” as Want to Read:
The Evolution of Childhood: Relationships, Emotion, Mind

The Evolution of Childhood: Relationships, Emotion, Mind

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This book is an intellectual tour de force: a comprehensive Darwinian interpretation of human development. Looking at the entire range of human evolutionary history, Melvin Konner tells the compelling and complex story of how cross-cultural and universal characteristics of our growth from infancy to adolescence became rooted in genetically inherited characteristics of the ...more
Published May 31st 2010 by Belknap Press

To ask other readers questions about The Evolution of Childhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evolution of Childhood

Annie
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I confess that I have read this in more of a cafeteria-style way, reading the chapters and portions that were of particular interest to me. This will stay on my academic reference shelf for a long time.

p.s. I heard Konner speak this spring at Harvard and thoroughly enjoyed his presentation on human (and other species) infancy and evolution.
David Barnhill
Nov 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Technical, detailed and insightful. It just goes to show how complicated a parent's job really is.
Na'ama Yehuda
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
comprehensive, a bit of a dense read (and massive book--it is a door stopper), but full of information, interesting history and research. I recommend it for anyone who is interested in understanding more about social evolution, development, society, and the intricacies of how we all connect to our environment, experiences, genetics, and so on.
Julieann Wielga
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is encyclopedic: it is a refresher course in genetics, evolution and developmental psychology. Still I am reading it for the big ideas. And I think I am getting some new ones about the passe' notion of nature or nurture. The regulation of genes is far more dependent upon environment at each stage of life than I had previously understood.
wfj
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Extremely dense & lengthy, but I plugged through it. I'm planning to review it w/ a colleague in a series of "mini-journal clubs" to better recall important ideas & findings.
Peterv
May 24, 2011
  • Kids: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Raise Young Children
  • Adam's Tongue: How Humans Made Language, How Language Made Humans
  • Not by Genes Alone: How Culture Transformed Human Evolution
  • Origins of the Modern Mind: Three Stages in the Evolution of Culture and Cognition
  • Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and Naptime Strategies for the Breastfeeding Family
  • Mothers and Others: The Evolutionary Origins of Mutual Understanding
  • Constructing The Self, Constructing America: A Cultural History Of Psychotherapy
  • The Recursive Mind: The Origins of Human Language, Thought, and Civilization
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • Race, Monogamy, and Other Lies They Told You: Busting Myths about Human Nature
  • The Fussy Baby Book: Parenting Your High-Need Child From Birth to Age Five
  • The Race between Education and Technology
  • Birth in Four Cultures: A Crosscultural Investigation of Childbirth in Yucatan, Holland, Sweden, and the United States
  • The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution
  • A Thousand Days of Wonder: A Scientist's Chronicle of His Daughter's Developing Mind
  • Sorting Things Out: Classification and Its Consequences
  • A Social History of Knowledge: From Gutenberg to Diderot, Based on the First Series of Vonhoff Lectures Given at the University of Groningen (Netherlands)
  • The Restoration of the Self
Melvin Konner is the professor of Anthropology and associate professor of Psychiatry and Neurology at Emory University. He is the author of The Tangled Wing: Biological Constraints on the Human Spirit, amoung other writings
More about Melvin Konner...