Start by marking “Broken” as Want to Read:
Broken

Broken

This month my name is Mary. My name is different every month—Brandy, Honey, Amy…sometimes Joe doesn't even bother to ask—but he never fails to arouse me with his body, his mouth, his touch, no matter what I'm called or where he picks me up. The sex is always amazing, always leaves me itching for more in those long weeks until I see him again.

My real name is Sadie, and onc

Published May 1st 2007 by Spice

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kent The idiot that was supposed to be taking care of him should have been brought up on charges, but I think it was the best thing for Sadie.

Start your review of Broken
Ridley
Been thinking about this lately, and decided to revise my score down from 5*. The more I thought about it, the angrier I got at the book.

I'd have to re-read it to write an in-depth review, but here's a quick and dirty list of why I changed my rating.

1. It's an extremely negative treatment of disability. I originally loved the book so much because of Adam. He was more familiar to me than any other disabled character I've run across, and I loved seeing my own experiences and frustrations voiced by
Sammy Loves Books
Losing my virginity hadn’t made me a woman, but almost losing my husband had. He could have died.
There are days I weep with gratitude that he didn’t. And then, there are days I wish he had.

makeout

Adam is a poet. His love for Sadie is pure and full of passion. They are young and his career as a famous poet is really taking off when tragedy strikes!

“A thousand poets could write for a thousand years,” he whispered, “and none of them would ever be able to describe how I feel about you.”

Sadie and A
Buggy
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Opening line:"This month my name is Mary and apparently, I'm as contrary as the nursery rhyme"

Broken is one of the most amazing books I’ve read in a long time, and author Megan Hart, well wow, I’m just in love with her writing. Reading Broken felt like eating dessert or chocolate, as she has a way of making her words delicious. So perfectly descriptive and achingly beautiful, I only wish I could put my muddled thoughts into sentences the way she does.

This is a unique, very real and somewhat hea
C.D. Reiss
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap.
JSYK - if I don't love or like something a lot, I don't review it. Because....who has the time?

So, holy crap.

Last night, the kids were screaming, dinner was burning, homework wasn't getting done, and I was on the couch, glued to my kindle. And it's not like we had killers running around, jumping on trains while secret agents chase them. Oh no. A woman. Her quadriplegic husband. A man she meets for lunch.

And some of the BEST sex scenes ever committed to words.

My heart broke for this wom
Penny
Jan 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
I can't say I liked this book, but I can't say I hated it ether. It did make me feel, thou. It made me mad, and in my book mad is better than indifferent any day (pun intended). I just have no idea how many stars I should give it, so I'm leaving it clear.

The book has a few problems for me.

The characters are completely underdeveloped. While reading the book, you have no idea who they really are. There is no way to emotionally connect with them.

Joe: How can I care for his sex stories when I know
K.
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 5-keepers
"Broken" by Megan Hart; Contemporary cross between romance and women's erotic fiction

Adam and Sadie and Joe

I've needed to write this review for some time now, as it's definitely a book I don't want to forget about. So much is left out of the typical back cover synopsis and the editorial review on it, that I believe it can really put a reader off and lead them astray for the wrong reasons. Contrary to all three names above, this is a book that only deals with the ethics of what is considered chea
warhawke
Genre: Erotica
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Female
Rating:

Sadie Danning found her match in her husband Adam. But what she thought would be a long happy marriage screeched to a halt when their relationship was put to the test.

Joe Wilder started as a stranger in the park. Soon enough he became an outlet of her sexual frustration through his tale of sexual exploits. But as things started to become personal, they were heading towards complications neither of them were ready to face.

“I th
Eastofoz
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers looking for an atypical erotic romance
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Anu
This is a blisteringly hot sizzler of a novel that has a very unusual plot. There’s a lot of sex but it’s appropriate and what makes it appropriate is the very unique kind of writing. For the first 30 odd pages you get the impression that this is a sex with no story kind of book, but that couldn’t be further from the truth so pay attention from page one.

Told in the first person, Broken is the story of Sadie Danning whose once idyllic and just beautifully perfect life has been shattered in a way
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance without the fluff
Megan Hart is a very emotional writer. When I pick up a book she has penned, I know many things before I even read the description. I know it will not be light and fluffy--I know it will probably not have a happy ending--i know there will be one or more tortured souls--I know there will be some smokin' hot sex--and finally, I know I am going to love it.

Broken is a heart wrenching story of a man and woman, very much in love. The man suffers a terrible accident that leaves him paralyzed from the n
Duchess Nicole
I'm not sure how to start except to say that a review can't possibly do this book justice. The blurb outlines one of the major parts of this story, but really can't explain the plot without giving the book away. The word 'husband' threw me off. I'm not one to enjoy erotica just for the sake of the taboo, and I was worried that this would downplay the importance of fidelity and trust in you partner or marriage. It doesn't.

I thought after the first chapter that I understood the gist of the story.
La-Lionne
***5 heartbreaking, happy, funny, sad and hot stars ***

Don't have enough words in my vocabulary to tell you how much I loved this book. Unique and different. It was like an adult version of Me Before You. That's the only book I can compare to.

description

***

Before I get on with my review I want to give a shout out to whom ever chose that stupid, distasteful and misleading book cover where a man has his hand on girls (emphasis on "girl's" not a "woman's" knee). Because of you I passed this book over and over
Wicked Incognito Now
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Megan Hart writes erotic romance, but with so much seriousness and reverence...I hesitate to call it erotica. It can't be. Not the way she writes it. Sure, it's titillating, but it's so so much more.

I have never felt so much despair, rage, empathy, sadness, and longing for a fictional character before.

This is the story of a woman whose husband suffered an accident leaving him a paraplegic. Sure, his personal suffering is too much to even contemplate, but what happens to the wife? She must be str
Mandi Schreiner
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the most intense, emotional, dark books I've read. Extremely erotic, extremely painful...I loved every page.

It is not a typical romance book - it is more a very intimate look inside Sadie and Joe's life...with an ending that is kind of happy. Amazing.
CC
5 Stars!

For the past four years, Sadie Danning has been living a life she didn’t expect. As circumstances changed, Sadie learned to cope and balance her career with marital demands, but it became quite a lonely and exhausting existence. A dutiful and loving wife, Sadie gave what she had and absorbed her loss gracefully in silence.

“I’d been content to circle him the way the earth revolves around the sun, dependent on him to lead me. What happens when the weaker becomes the stronger?”

Though
NiteReader
5 Heart breaking stars
Sadie's story broke my heart into tiny pieces.
The masterful writing kept me enthralled until the hopeful end.
It was wonderful to see Elle from Dirty, her storyline was perfectly interwoven with Sadie's.
Another emotional read from Ms Hart, but if you enjoy her books, this is a must read!
Stacia (the 2010 club)
I think I shall call this one the tale of two books because this is how I felt when reading Broken.

Let's start with the book 1 : The good book.

Sadie's relationship with Adam is broken. After a skiing accident leaves him paralyzed from the neck down, he retreats inside of himself and becomes a shell of the person he used to be. Sadie longs to be close to her husband, but intimate moments are few and far between.

This is the story that I truly enjoyed. I'm constantly fascinated with peeking in the
SusanAhh
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I lived for the stories"-Sadie

This is an excruciatingly beautiful story of the cost in pain that one woman had to bear for her deep love of her lover, her spouse. Through this fully developed and honest character, the author opens the readers eyes to the traumas large and small, as well as, the overarching wholesale change in all aspects of our heroine, Sadie's life that happened in the blink of the eye. It was a devastating accident that stole the mobility of her husband and altered their rela
P.A. Lupton
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Do you ever wonder how many different stories can be written? How many different ways can a person say the same thing. How do authors come up with new ideas, or even old ideas told in a different way? We all use the same words, have the same dictionaries, but why are some gifted with the ability to structure those words and stories so much more effectively than others; to evoke powerful emotions with nothing but the stroke of a pen or clacking of keys. Megan Hart is one of these writers.

I just
Kay (❦ ᴗ ❦ ✿) BooksandMe

That the emotional infidelity was as real as if I’d gone to bed with him, and perhaps worse because merely sating a physical need was one thing but the inevitability of what was happening was something else, entirely.

This is completely different from what I have expected it should be. And then somehow, from the beginning, it takes me to a completely different perspective than what I have suspected in the first place. The struggle, and the ideas that this story presented is so muc
Mimi Smith
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r
4 stars

This isn't a book-it's an emotional Roller Coaster. I went through every emotion in the book, while reading. I was happy, sad, angry, sympathetic, sad, you know *blushes*, and SAD again. If you're looking for something hot and sweet don't read it. If you're looking for heavy duty angst and real-life story then it might be. So, despite this book being classified as an Erotica, it's definitely not one to set you in the mood. Unless that mood is a depressed.

The Premise

This book begins w
Chelsea
Jun 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: erotica, cheating
1 star

CURIOSITY led me to read this book.

description

Before - I've known this for years but have no plan on reading because the cover made me think of a pervert trying you molest a teen. (that was during my non reading of blurb days)

Now - The blurb sounds interesting. And since some of my gr friends seemed to enjoy it, I decided to give it a go.

WRONG DECISION.

**** slightly spoilerish****

I know this is an erotica, but sex scenes already on chapter one? Okay, I'll take it. As the story progresses, I
Quinn
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just..... wow.

Broken is an amazing book that defies description and categorization. It is not your typical erotica, nor can it be classed as romance, though it certainly contains elements of each. It is a complex and layered novel that is so much more than any synopsis could possibly represent.

Broken is the story of three people - Sadie, her husband Adam, and Joe. But this is not a love triangle story.

Sadie and Adam meet in college and fall in love in the sweetest way. They marry and have t
comfort
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I knew that this book contained some heart-break- but my god, there I was at 2am sitting in bed bawling my eyes out. I don't think I have read such a harrowing story for years.

I did like the way a few of the characters from the previous book turned up in this book, made it feel familiar even though the heroine is a different person.

Again- like Dirty- this starts of quite light-hearted but then wham!

I liked the way it turned out- but did think she was going to blow it.

I was going to read Deeper-
Sibylla Matilde
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-love-love
Okay, holy hell, I loved this book...I'd give it 6 stars if I could! It has been a while since a book really got me as much as this one has. The story is so totally different than anything I've ever read. The characters are so much deeper than most I've read. The complexity had me in tears over and over, and I don't cry easily in a book. Thanks to everyone who recommended it to me...
Jennifer Kyle
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"From the first time you laughed with me, all those months, and all those stories," Joe said quietly. "They were all you, to me. All of them were you."

It took a few chapters to understand the complexity of this story. This is an erotic novel with a strong story line. Sadie is a married women whose husband due to an accident is a paraplegic which left the couple broken. Sadie meets Joe on the first friday of every month for lunch to listen to his stories of his latest sexcapdes imaging herself as
Natasha
Read #2: December 2, 2016:

One thing I never noticed in my previous readings is how talented of a writer Megan Hart really is. Very good. I loved this story even more the second read. Heartbreaking and sexy. What a weird mixture.

Read #1: September 18, 2012:

I often find myself still thinking of this book even after not having read it for months and months. To me, that's the sign of a good book.
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
See this review at http://shamelessromancereviews.blogsp...

then become a follower -OR ELSE!!
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I started reading this book months ago, but after the first 70 pages or so found it too depressing to continue. Just the other day, though, Eastofoz read and loved it, and I was reminded I should just finish it. I picked it up again and the story just seemed to take off and turned out much better on the second attempt.

Sadie is a psychiatrist who spends all her time and energy caring for her quadriplegic husband, Adam, once a creative genius whom she met at uni. She's silent about the stress, fat
Adrienne
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Adrienne by: All other Megan Hart fans
This book was everything I've come to expect from Megan Hart and more. So why is it so difficult for me to put into words exactly how I feel about it? I'm not going to write a re-word of the storyline as this has already been done, yet I feel I'm not doing any of the characters justice by not doing so.

What I want to make ia an observation of how I feel after reading this book. Sadie, Joe and Adam are products of a mind that understands human nature and can very eloquently inform,arouse and give
Miss Kim
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Author who know what to expect
is there a squeal ? 3 107 Apr 02, 2013 02:30PM

• Finding Home
  • Unforgiven (Unforgiven, #1)
  • Coach Me
  • Haven of Obedience
  • The Free (The Wild, #2)
  • Charlotte's Patrons
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)
  • The Touch of Twilight (Signs of the Zodiac, #3)
  • The Scent of Shadows (Signs of the Zodiac, #1)
  • City of Souls (Signs of the Zodiac, #4)
  • Cheat the Grave (Signs of the Zodiac, #5)
  • Foreseen: Lex (The Four #2)
  • Finding Finley
  • Your Dad Will Do (A Touch of Taboo #1)
  • Anointed
  • Inevitable
  • For the Love of Pete (Rose Cottage Sisters, #4)
  • Muse in Lingerie (Lingerie #1)
Megan Hart has written in almost every genre of romantic fiction, including historical, contemporary, romantic suspense, romantic comedy, futuristic, fantasy and perhaps most notably, erotic. She also writes non-erotic fantasy and science fiction, as well as continuing to occasionally dabble in horror.

--from the author's website

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads databas

News & Interviews

“Memory can refuse to let you forget what you’d like to and run away with what you want to remember. It’s an unreliable bitch, or your best friend. Sometimes, it’s both at once.” 194 likes
“But sometimes it's the sunshine that frightens us more than the big black shadows.” 162 likes