Start by marking “The Beloved Scoundrel” as Want to Read:
The Beloved Scoundrel

The Beloved Scoundrel

From New York Times bestselling author Iris Johansen comes a thrilling tale of abduction, seduction, and surrender that sweeps from the shimmering halls of Regency England to the decadent haunts of a notorious rogue.

SHE IS A HOSTAGE TORN BETWEEN PASSION AND LOYALTY

Marianna Sanders realizes she cannot trust this dark and savagely seductive stranger who has come to
Published June 26th 2012 by Bantam (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Beloved Scoundrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beloved Scoundrel

Start your review of The Beloved Scoundrel
Zeek
First, I have to tell you, Iris Johansen is another author whom, in the past, I ate up everything written by her. Loved her intense heroes and the loved the way she expressed his need of the heroine.

I remember lapping this one up the first time I read it and even the second time! This time, I had a tough time with it.

The hero falls in lust with the heroine when she’s sixteen and though they never give his age, I’m guessing to be thirties. (In real life? Ewwwwww!) Granted he doesn’t act on the
Fairlita
Period: Georgian - Regency, England

The hero is referred as the Duke of Diamonds by the ton. Not only because he has the real bling bling mine, but also because he's notorious for his out-of-the-box way in pleasing his lovers. Yes, it's something to do with diamonds, obviously. I was a bit stunned, then laughed for it sounds quite ridiculous.

Apart from that, Ms. Johansen imparted some wisdom here. Age-old or clichè they may sound, but leave something to be pondered upon none the less.

Lauren
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I give this one props for being so different then the usual historical romance.
Regan Walker
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
19th Century Balkan Romance - A Great One!

I first discovered Iris Johansen when I read The Magnificent Rogue--a truly excellent historical romance. I then read Midnight Warrior that didn't reach that standard (and reviewed it as such). I say that so you know I don't always give her 5 stars. But I just don't understand the low reviews on this one. I thought it was excellent.

Set in the years 1809 to 1812 in the Barkans and England, it tells the story of Marianna Sanders who is from a Balkan family
Widala
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've had this ebook for quite sometime, and I kept delaying to read it because some of negative reviews I've seen.
But I got curious after reading the positive reviews especially those who gave this book five stars. Now I'm glad, because this book just great.
What interested me almost immediately was the way Jordan and Marianna interacted, how they matched wit to wit. I loved Jordan's dry humor and Marianna strong personality.
And the seduction was hot! I may find it ruthless (did I just use the
Carrie Olguin
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Decent plot driven story.

The heroine is a shrew. The only emotions I remember her displaying were jealousy, anger and lust. She makes stained glass windows and is devoted to her work. There's this thing called a Jondolar (not sure I spelled that correctly) that she is sworn to protect. When she mentioned she was not certain if she was "old enough to wield it", I thought it was some type of magical weapon. Turns out (two-thirds into the story), it's a map, made from stained glass.

I was
Courtnie
Indicitive of 90's romances. Strong Alpha and disagreeable heroine who has no choice but to succomb.

I was really looking for something with the flare of Julie Garwood's historicals, and this wasn't it. Reminds me more of a Judith McNaught story without all the pretty exposition and angst - Iris Johansen is more whimsical or fantastical in setting and events.

I'll put it this way, I liked it well enough to try another book by her, but not well enough that I'd pick up a discount copy if I ran
JennyG
Nice story with a likeable hero and heroine.

I must say I have trouble engaging emotionally in Iris Johansen's books, which means I forget what I read a day or two later. I feel distant while reading one of her books, more like I'm watching a movie.
Emily
Not one of the best regency novels I have read, but certainly not the worst.

I had a lot of issues with this book but since it's late, I'll sleep now and if I have enough strength to go back here again, I might as well give out a proper review.
N. Heinz
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites by Iris Johansen. Great if you're in the mood for a dark historical romance.
bell
If you like older style romances you will enjoy this. It is foremost a romance book , but has the history back drop that is missing in todays romances. Also the plot is unique in that the heroines family are noted glass makers. The heroines grandmother created a stained glass panel called the window of Heaven that was in effect, a map to secret tunnels. Napoleon is starting his reign of conquest and both sides are desperate to get their hands on this panel. The book opens with the heroine and ...more
Goya
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like this one a lot. It was different from the usual HR's and had a decent plot. It dragged a little in some areas, but overall, a good read.

Let's face it, Gregor was the real star of this book.

It was a little frustrating to read about the all sacred Jedalar, but not to find out what the hell it even was until so late in the book.

I found the relationship between Marianna and Jordan very believable. Contextually the age difference and the "waiting" didn't bother me. It's would be gross now in
Leia Kolet toledano
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, on one hand it's very captivating and you can't put the book down till your devour it. On the other... Iris had better. Not sure what is missing... great sex seance though...
Gabrielle Barrios
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Another great iris Johansen book.
Kate
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
The romantic male was older, domineering, and basically trapped the female protagonist into a physical relationship. Yuck. I really liked Gregor though.
Theresa Hattle
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Historical romance with an original story, unusual heroine and a really bad title.
Jody
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad but typical gothic romance and not something I’ve expected from Ms Johansen. Just don’t read these anymore
Judith Wrinkle
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Very spicy........not a usual Johansen book, but good. Quite obviously history. I enjoyed it, but enjoy her mysteries more.
JBradford
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Since I could not recall which title in the Eve Duncan series came next, I grabbed this one off the library shelf, because I could tell by the title and the cover picture that it was not part of the Eve Duncan series. I gather that this novel is from an earlier period in Johansen’s writing career; its category is historical romance, except the history is not history — it includes a place that never was in England but much of its action takes place in three countries that also never existed, and ...more
Nessa
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I HAD HIGH HOPES AND THIS STORY STARTED OUT PROMISING BUT IT PLUMMETS.
I JUST REALISED THAT THE CHARACTERS DONT EVEN KISS, STRAIGHT TO SEX.
ITS A BIT OF A DOWNER, WHEN THE SEXUAL TENSION WAS BUILDING AND GETS WASHED AWAY BY TOO MUCH TECHNICALITIES.

OUR HERO is the Duke of Diamonds, notorious ex-womanizer who leaves a pouch of diamonds in a woman's temple before he leaves her. Very inventive way of describing it Ms Johansen! Jordan is an imposing character whose personality and aura is very
Abby
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't read a lot of romance, but someone was searching for this book, and their fond description piqued my interest.

The plot, overall was a bit lacking. The main characters had exaggerated personalities while everyone else was flat, and the descriptions were downright ridiculous at times. "Dark hair tied back in a queue, a long face, a glimmer of green eyes..." Yes, she can see a glimmer of green eyes across the room in a darkened church.

Our "Beloved Scoundrel" is a sexy, intense womanizer.
Farhanah Nurhidayah
so, it took me two days to finish up the book but it's worth it. i thought the writing was beautiful written by the author. i thought the plot was wonderful pacing. it get me edge of the seat and biting fingers moment too. there never was a dull moment from it. i thought the main character was very stubborn but in the same time was brave and fine lady. while main hero was dashing, bravery, and true protector. needless to say although there are time when you find them very opposite and yet them ...more
Melissa
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romantic-reads
All in all, this balances out to a pretty OK book. The mystery of the Jedalar is interesting and creates a good point of friction between Marianna and Jordan. Also, Marianna's facility with stained glass was a good inclusion and her standing as a master craftsman contrasts with the a regency notion that she has a hobby (Dorothy is a bit much, IMO, but she serves a point). Good historical work.

The plot did drag though at times. Yes, we know that Jordan totally has the hots for Marianna, yes,
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Hmmm, an Old Skool romance by an author that inspired several other authors, but I had truoble getting into this one. The heroine starts the book at 16 and hero is much older - always a difficult leap for me to make. And while their first time together wasn't rape (as a lot of Old Skools are), it was definitely strongly and disturbingly persuasive.

I liked that the heroine thought for herself and made things happen; I also thought she was a crazy fast glass artist that could apparently make
Kookie's
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
There's something missing in the book and even after a few rereads, I still can't put a finger on it. Maybe it had something to do about the fact that the hero lusted after the heroine even when she was fifteen. So he left her alone for three years to grow up, but at the same time time kept her as his prisoner. But so what?! I still was not feeling it.

Read full review on Bookabulary.
T.M. Carper
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Good suspense, strong characters, and an interesting plot. Marianna is a creative, crafty young woman who works with glass, creating stained glass windows, and cares for her much younger brother, Alex, after their mother is murdered. Marianna holds the key to a secret that one man is killing for. It's up to Jordan Draken, the Duke of Diamonds, to protect Marianna, while still wanting the information she knows.

Great supporting characters as well and strong females.
Stephanie Bolen
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Re-read, read it a really long time ago. This book is the reason I like Iris Johansen. Not too wild about the fake countries, but the detail she puts into her characters. The obsession Marianne has with her craft and stained glass, creates a unique character, and Draken is unlike most rakes in the vivid details she gives both to his seduction and his past. And the plot while not original was interesting and unexpected at spots.
Elis Madison
Marianna Sanders and her young brother are the lone survivors of a family famed for its work in stained glass—in fact, her ancestor created a magnificent panel that is reputed to carry secrets that could shatter an empire. Jordan Draken is one of many who will do anything (almost) to get that secret. Add a villain who will LITERALLY do anything, and a heck of a good chase story ensues.

A logic issue or two kind of bugged me but I enjoyed the story anyway. 3.5 stars
Anne Dart
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Besides enjoying the novel set during the Napoleonic wars, I learned a great deal about the making of stained glass. I've often admired such fine windows in churches but knew little if anything about their creation. Tha capture of Nebrov was quite ingenious and certainly a case of just deserts. Young Alex added the spontaneity of childhood that enlivened the story.
Rayna
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the books that started me on Romance in general. I loved it and still have several copies. Never once could I get a bookplate or an autograph but I endeavor to keep trying. I just wanted to say Thank You, Ms Johansen. I have been in this industry for a while now and read almost everything that comes across my desk. I still keep comparing all the men to the "Duke of Diamonds".

• A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • To Romance a Charming Rogue (Courtship Wars, #4)
  • Hearts Aflame (Haardrad Viking Family, #2)
  • Forbidden Love
  • Once a Princess (Cardinia's Royal Family, #1)
  • Sweet Release (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #1)
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
  • It's Complicated (Her Billionaires, #5)
  • Her Billionaires: The Complete Collection (Her Billionaires, #1-4)
  • The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham, #1)
  • Illusion Town (Ghost Hunters, #13)
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • His Bonnie Bride (Highland Brides, #1)
  • Twice Tempted by a Rogue  (Stud Club, #2)
  • Written on Your Skin
  • The Elusive Flame (Birmingham, #3)
  • Remember When (Foster Saga, #1)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great ...more