Start by marking “More All-of-a-Kind Family” as Want to Read:
More All-of-a-Kind Family

More All-of-a-Kind Family

(All-of-a-Kind Family #3)

In the third book of Sydney Taylor's classic children's series, Ella finds a boyfriend and Henny disagrees with Papa over her curfew. Thus continues the tale of a Jewish family of five sisters-Ella, Henny, Sarah, Charlotte and Gertie-and little brother, Charlie, living at the turn of the century in New York's Lower East Side. Entertaining and educational, this book brings ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by Taylor Productions Ltd (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about More All-of-a-Kind Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More All-of-a-Kind Family

Brina
Happy 2019 everyone. After struggling to find the perfect happy medium between life and reading last year, I decided to set my Goodreads challenge to one book. I can use this challenge to track my reading and also to gauge my pace for the year. Each year per my own tradition I read a childhood favorite on January 1 to get that first book out of the way. This year’s choice was More All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor, a series I read so many times as a kid that I have it memorized.

The year is
Lisa Vegan
I am thoroughly enjoying these books. I think that I read only the first book as a kid, and now I’ve just read book 3 and I plan to read book 4 soon. For now I’m skipping 2 and 5, though I might go back and read book 2 at some point.

I love this family. I especially loved Sarah in the first book, and in this book I loved Sarah and Ella, and Charlotte too, and Mama and Papa of course, as well as assorted other relatives, friends, and neighbors.

The experience of Jewish culture and life in NYC’s low
Melody
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Oh, now this one stands up to the re-read. Lovely, lovely book. Evocative of the Lower East Side, poised before the First World War. The family is doing better financially, and there's The Wedding to look forward to and be part of.

My favorite bit in this book is when Charlie goes downstairs to solemnly tell the shopkeeper, "My mama don't smile on me."

This one gets tucked back on the shelf for certain.
Abigail
The All-of-a-Kind Family return in this second delightful tale - and yes, despite the effort of some to re-order these by chronology, More All-of-a-Kind Family is the second book! - and their adventures here are more fun, more amusing, more poignant, and more heartwarming than in their first, the eponymous All-of-a-Kind Family ! The book opens with the marvelous "Lena the Greena" chapter, which introduces the titular Lena who, in an act of bravery, saves (view spoiler) ...more
Rebekah Morris
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Returning to these delightful characters is like visiting with old friends.
Everyone is growing up, and Charlie is no longer a baby. It's fun to read about the Jewish traditions, and life on the East Side. There's excitement, laughter, tears, and a bit of romance in this book (though not what you might except at first).

I will be rereading this again, I'm sure.
Melody
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I squealed aloud when I saw this in my library's list of downloadable audio books. I've loved it forever, and listening to it as I drifted off to sleep several nights running was sheer delight. What I noticed this time (view spoiler) The girls are so real, and Charlie so endearing. Heartily recommended.
Angie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
lizzie: i love this book, but there are many sad parts.
Sarah Grace Grzy
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These books were my childhood. <3
Luisa Knight
Each book in the series is just getting better and better. I just love this family to pieces! And the stories are so fun, many are light-hearted and all of them possess little nuggets of valuable truth.

Ages: 9 - 12

Cleanliness:

Children's Bad Words
Mild Obscenities & Substitutions - 1 Incident: Aww heck
Religious Profanities - 9 Incidents: Goodness, For Heaven’s sake, Gee, Where in Heaven’s name, My gracious

Religious & Supernatural - 1 Incident: The Jewish family celebrates Yom Kippur. They
Lesley
Another great set of stories, as little brother Charlie, now 3, gets to share in the adventures of his older sisters. Life in World War I era New York is perilous; there is a near traffic fatality, a serious health scare, and worrisome news from abroad. Yet romance blooms for Ella (in the library!) and for sweet, schlubby Uncle Hyman.
James
Jul 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best thing about these books is the lingering, loving way she describes meals. The making-latkes episode is one of the most exciting things I've read in months. Overall, not quite as charming as the first. Least expected sentence:
'"I'd better get out my Prince Albert," Papa said.'
Sara
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From Michael: In Michael's opinion it is the best of the first three books.
Susan
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, tbr17
The children of an immigrant family enjoy their times together with gusto and humor as they celebrate their Jewish faith and life in the lower East Side of New York City in the early 1900s.
Rachel
The charming story of the continuing adventures of this growing-up Jewish family. It was interesting to see the family celebrate some of the Jewish holiday's and how the kids interact with one another now that they are a bit older.

A few things I did not as much like, being a Christian girl, was the celebration of Yom Kippur. By this book's description Jews believe that you have to confess your sins on this day, "the day when people try to make up for their sins by fasting and prayer." Sadly, Go
Audrey
Anne
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I can't figure out if I've ever read this one before. I know we owned the first book, Uptown and Downtown, and I'm pretty sure I've read Ella, but I'm just not sure about More All-of-a-Kind Family. I feel like I remember Gertie learning to tell time, and Uncle Hyman's girlfriend, but I have no recollection of Ella first meeting Jules (though I remember him from Uptown).

That said, I liked it very much. After Downtown (which was written later, but set earlier), it was refreshing to go back to the
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
Another of the All-of-a-Kind series that we listened to on CD. It's hard not to love these books, especially as the reader does great accents and has a voice full of emotion. I particularly like that they introduce Logan to Jewish life and customs without being obvious or acutely educational. They're funny too. And they incorporate the times in terms of illnesses, wars, poverty, etc. In short, they make turn-of-the-century immigrant NY come alive. But they're less depressing than, say, A Tree Gr ...more
Beth
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, 2013
I can't say enough about this series of books. I read them all as a child and we just finished listening to this one on audiobook. My two sons LOVED it and I enjoyed it just as much as when I was little. The story holds up well and my sons asked many wonderful questions afterward about the different ways that various religions celebrate. My favorite part of these books as a child was learning about all of the Jewish holidays.
Susan Grodsky
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Delightful stories in which mundane events become wonderful adventures because they are seen with a child's fresh eyes. I loved this series when I first encountered it as a preteen. I still love it and still love the genuinely admirable family values portrayed: loyalty, kindness, tolerance, good humor. Note that hatred is absent from the list.
Zoe
We listened to this in the car. I always appreciate the storytelling power of these simple family stories. This book deals with serious topics, like polio and an uncle who has trouble wooing his girlfriend, but somehow they are written in a way that feels very accessible to young children! This is a talent.
Ruth E. R.
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful continuation of the story of a Jewish family during the early 20th century. The author wrote these stories later in her life, based on her own upbringing, which has a lot to do with their authenticity. Looking forward to the next book in the series, and to finding out what happens as the children continue to grow up.
Liz Livingston
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-library
More of the same, just as enjoyable, as the first book in this 1950's series about the early 1900's Jewish family in NY. Particularly interesting to read with my girls (elementary age) with regards to an epidemic that their family deals with indirectly. Good historical fiction for this age group.
Ashley
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I rated this book so high largely for the sake of nostalgia. I remember reading this book (well actually the whole series) more than once as a child and being fascinated by a family full of five girls...just like mine.
Nicole
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
These never get old! LOVE them!
Johnny Bennett
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
These dips into early twentieth century Jewish culture are great exposure for those unfamiliar. The curfew story is quite entertaining. Certainly worth the time to read to a young daughter.
Nancy
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another of this wonderful series.
Cindi
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was as good as the first. This is a series not to be missed!
Michelle
Oct 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book. Not as good as the first in the series but sometimes it is hard to see beloved characters grow and change
Angela
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps my FAVORITE book when I was about 10 years old!! So happy to have found it again the year we did Sonlight!!
Gehayi
The second published but the third chronologically, this book takes place around 1914. The girls--Ella, Henny, Sarah, Charlotte and Gertie--are now fourteen, twelve, ten, eight and six respectively, while their younger brother Charlie is about two, making him just old enough to get into trouble. In fact, the first story involves him nearly getting run over by a horse and carriage while he's crossing the street.

This book also introduces Lena (Charlie's rescuer--come on, you knew he had to have o
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy, #8)
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • Rufus M. (The Moffats, #3)
  • Katie John
  • Betsy and Billy
  • The Night Journey
Taylor was born on October 31, 1904 on New York City's Lower East Side. Her Jewish immigrant family lived in poverty conditions, but they felt great respect and appreciation for the country that gave them hope and opportunities for the future. This childhood led Taylor eventually into writing.

Taylor started working as a secretary after she graduated from high school, married her husband, and spen

All-of-a-Kind Family (5 books)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family