Start by marking “All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown” as Want to Read:
All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown

All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown

(All-of-a-Kind Family #4)

Based on the author's family and childhood, these charming books capture the everyday life of a home with little money but lots of love and good times to share. Each book shares the ups and downs in the lives of this special family, through the eyes of Ella, Charlotte, Henny, Sarah, Gertie, and their little brother, Charlie.
Published April 1st 2001 by Taylor Productions Ltd (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown, please sign up.

Lisa Vegan
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all readers who’ve read and enjoyed All-of-a-Kind family & More All-of-a-Kind Family
I loved being back with this family.

Hilarious first chapter!

Henny grew on me a bit in this book because she’s the one who’s so good with youngest sibling and only brother Charlie. It’s always been Sarah & Ella and Charlotte & Gertie and now I feel as though Henny has a pairing too. Also, I admired Henny’s role in the play and her ability to work with others and help implement original ideas.

It was fun to watch the kids grow up. I’m still particularly fond of Sarah, and of Ella, but all t
Abigail
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Has Read the Earlier Books About This Delightful Family!
From the hilarious opening chapter to the triumphant final one, All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown draws the reader in, involving her once again in the lives of the eponymous All-of-a-Kind Family (surname: unknown). Having now moved to the leafier Bronx, the family are just beginning to find their way around, and the girls set out at the beginning of the book, together with little Charlie, to visit their Aunt Lena in her apartment, a few blocks away. Being unfamiliar with the way floors are reckoned in ...more
Rebekah Morris
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a lovely visit with this family. Each character is unique, different, special. Ella has really grown up. Henny, well let's just say she still has some growing to do. And Sarah, Charlotte, Gertie, and of course, Charlie.
I enjoy the fact that they share different Jewish holidays in these books, not just the same ones over and over. They'll mention the others, but will dwell more on the new ones. This story takes place during WWI, so that's an added plus.

Enjoyable and recommended.
Melody
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Loved it so much I started to wonder what happened to Taylor that her writing took such a nosedive in later years (when she went back to write All of a Kind Family Downtown?)

Such a wonderful story, with the romance and The War. I think Ella must be just a skosh younger than Betsy Ray of the Betsy-Tacy series. Henny remains, for me, the least likable of the sisters. Here she's up to her usual tricks. But Mama is magnificent, as always.

There's more of the Jewish religion explained- many
Luisa Knight
I don't usually like series. Although I might love the characters, I find myself getting generally bored with the various plots, often mundane or regurgitated, that the author tries concocting to keep the books coming. Not so with this series! I love, love it!

The fourth book is just as wonderful, people!

Ages: 9 - 13

Cleanliness
Children's Bad Words
Mild Obscenities & Substitutions - 1 Incident: stupid
Name Calling - 2 Incidents: stupid, rascal
Religious Profanities - 18 Incidents: Gee, goodness,
Joan
Looks as though I'm skipping around in this series. I went from the first one to the fourth one. It is nice but just doesn't hit all the perfect points that the first one did. I think the family doesn't feel quite as special now that it is more assimilated in American society. There were some great scenes though. The one where the kids in all innocence ate a meal at the wrong apartment is hilarious! So is the one of Ella and Jules eating at a restaurant for the first time ever. I was glad to see ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
While the family is still adorable and made me laugh out loud more than once, this volume in the series is more real and sober. The serious illness for Mama and then WWI meant that the family experienced some serious angst. They weathered it all well, together and I am looking forward to the next installment which I plan to begin immediately.
Ashley
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Somehow I missed this one when I originally read the series 30+ years ago. The characters and situations are as wonderful as ever, and there was still more for me to learn about Jewish culture and holidays, at least as they were practiced in the US 1917-18.
Aida
I can't believe it! I read this series way back at the onset of the 60's, when I was in third grade! One of the first Hispanic families in the Bronx neighborhood where we lived, I attended parochial school with several Italian and Irish children from the hood. There was also a large Judaic community, with a large Synagog around the corner from where we lived. The children of these families attended the local public school, which was not far from where I attended. With only my street friends to e ...more
Sarah Sammis
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown by Sydney Taylor is a perfect illustration of why I recommend everyone try reading a book at random. There are some absolute gems out there that might be beyond your normal scope of view. In last month's trip to the library I chose three books by random: A Traveller in Time, All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown and The Light in the Forest. So far, they have all been delightful.

All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown is the third in a series of semi-autobiographical books by Sydney Taylor
Michale
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tribe, child-s-play
SPOILER ALERT!!! I knew that I had read some of these books as a child, but never in the correct order, and I didn't recall finishing them all. Now that I've (re-)read this one, I understand. I don't think I ever finished it, becasue although I remember the tea stained dress, the rest is a blank. I think I stopped reading it at the point when Mama had to go to the hospital, which must have frightened me, although now it seems kind of tame. I must say that I wish the series was more well written, ...more
Lesley
World War I catches up to our favorite girls as Ella's beau Jules is sent overseas and the girls work to support the war effort. For the first time, the family has gentile neighbors, and Ella develops a friendship with the Irish-American Grace. Wartime sadness tinges this one with a bit more melancholy than the earlier books, yet it is full of the same lively humor, as each daughter gets her chance to shine.
Samantha
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
sometimes I read this kind of saccharine stuff as a kid. I don't really remember it. in my head it's kind of lumped in with the betsy-tacy stuff I read. I think books like this are exactly why beverly cleary was such a breath of fresh air. I don't remember much of how I decided what to read as a kid; I don't seem to have been all that discriminating.
Melissa
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul and I enjoyed this one too. I was in tears as I read the ending when WWI ends and "the world is at peace." I only wish.
Courtney Milford
Loved these books. As a kid, I barely knew any Jewish people so that made it even more interesting to read about this family.
Laila
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
It's hard to rate a young person's book as I'm sure if this had childhood memories for me, I'd rate it higher. Sweet family.
Clarissa
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This story follows the family through the first World War. Challenges arise, new friendships are formed, and the family offers support and encouragement to one another. Lovely.
Gehayi
The third book published but the fourth chronologically, this book takes place around 1916-1918, beginning about two years after More All-of-a-Kind Family. As the book starts, Ella is now sixteen and very serious about her boyfriend Jules; Henny is fourteen and popular; Sarah is twelve and dedicating herself to winning the history prize at the end of the school year; and Charlotte and Gertie, at ten and eight, are trying to do everything their older sisters manage...though with limited success.

T
Ms. B
More anecdotes about the five sisters and their younger brother Charlie growing up in 1910s New York City. This one starts out with the sisters wandering into the wrong apartment when visiting an aunt and uncle for dinner. Could you imagine an unlocked door and helping yourself to dinner because your hosts are late in the 2010s? Times have changed! This one also features the continuation of Ella the oldest sister and Jules budding romance; Jules enlists in the Army to fight overseas in World War ...more
Kate H
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The All-of-a-Kind Family books were some of my mother's favorites growing up so of course I read them as a child. I recently re-read them and still enjoyed them as an adult. There are some parts of them that are rather problematic from a religious tolerance perspective but in general they stand the test of time and are sweet well written books.
Madame Jane
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
1917-1919 - Bronx, NYC. The family are trying to doing their best during wartime. Mama stays in the hospital for some time, Ella's romance with Jules is getting more serious, and Sarah aims to win the history prize in her class. A lovely addition to the series. I love these books.
Hannah
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have a better, deeper appreciation for these books since I've gotten older. I love the storylines and tidbits about the family's lives and customs. My favorite this book, though, was Henny. She reminds me of my sister. She was so fun! All in all, a lovely sort of book.
Ashley Coberly
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was probably my favorite so far. I feel like the characters are finally starting to stand out on their own a bit and the plot wasn’t identical to the others.
Shannon
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still loving the series. This broadens the life of the family into WWI.

**Again, the forward is filled with spoilers so read it last!**
Maureen
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
fun young adult read. probably great for 5th to 8th grade
Kathleen Meacham
Good, clean, down-to-earth series. A YA read for all ages.
Jenna
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books/series as a kid.
Tressa
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
I missed the narration as I was reading All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown, but the illustrations were sweet. I enjoyed learning more about the family.
Amandasaved
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This continues the charming story of the 5 sisters.
Jackie
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another sweet story. Looking forward to the last in the series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Betsy's Wedding (Betsy-Tacy, #10)
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • Honestly, Katie John!
  • Movie Shoes (Shoes, #6)
  • The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • Beany Malone
  • Caddie Woodlawn's Family
Taylor was born on October 31, 1904 on New York City's Lower East Side. Her Jewish immigrant family lived in poverty conditions, but they felt great respect and appreciation for the country that gave them hope and opportunities for the future. This childhood led Taylor eventually into writing.

Taylor started working as a secretary after she graduated from high school, married her husband, and spen

All-of-a-Kind Family (5 books)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family