Start by marking “All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown (All-of-a-Kind-Family, #4)” as Want to Read:
All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown (All-of-a-Kind-Family, #4)

All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown

(All-of-a-Kind Family #4)

Based on the author's family and childhood, these charming books capture the everyday life of a home with little money but lots of love and good times to share. Each book shares the ups and downs in the lives of this special family, through the eyes of Ella, Charlotte, Henny, Sarah, Gertie, and their little brother, Charlie.
Published April 1st 2001 by Taylor Productions Ltd (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown, please sign up.

Start your review of All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown (All-of-a-Kind-Family, #4)
Abigail
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Has Read the Earlier Books About This Delightful Family!
From the hilarious opening chapter to the triumphant final one, All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown draws the reader in, involving her once again in the lives of the eponymous All-of-a-Kind Family (surname: unknown). Having now moved to the leafier Bronx, the family are just beginning to find their way around, and the girls set out at the beginning of the book, together with little Charlie, to visit their Aunt Lena in her apartment, a few blocks away. Being unfamiliar with the way floors are reckoned in ...more
Lisa Vegan
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all readers who’ve read and enjoyed All-of-a-Kind family & More All-of-a-Kind Family
I loved being back with this family.

Hilarious first chapter!

Henny grew on me a bit in this book because she’s the one who’s so good with youngest sibling and only brother Charlie. It’s always been Sarah & Ella and Charlotte & Gertie and now I feel as though Henny has a pairing too. Also, I admired Henny’s role in the play and her ability to work with others and help implement original ideas.

It was fun to watch the kids grow up. I’m still particularly fond of Sarah, and of Ella, but all the daugh
Mimi
A little more twee and a lot less unified than the other entries into this series (I haven't read the last one yet), but still an enjoyable read. Interesting view of the First World War.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
ALL-OF-A-KIND FAMILY UPTOWN finds the family settles into their new house. Mama has surgery and Ella and her sisters manage the house with some help from their family and friends. Ella’s relationship with Jules faces challenges when he enlists to fight in WWI.

I enjoyed ALL-OF-A-KIND FAMILY UPTOWN more than the other books as the sisters age and interact with more people outside of the family, including their first friends who aren’t Jewish. They see a Christmas tree for the first time and introd
Rebekah Morris
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a lovely visit with this family. Each character is unique, different, special. Ella has really grown up. Henny, well let's just say she still has some growing to do. And Sarah, Charlotte, Gertie, and of course, Charlie.
I enjoy the fact that they share different Jewish holidays in these books, not just the same ones over and over. They'll mention the others, but will dwell more on the new ones. This story takes place during WWI, so that's an added plus.

Enjoyable and recommended.
Melody
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Loved it so much I started to wonder what happened to Taylor that her writing took such a nosedive in later years (when she went back to write All of a Kind Family Downtown?)

Such a wonderful story, with the romance and The War. I think Ella must be just a skosh younger than Betsy Ray of the Betsy-Tacy series. Henny remains, for me, the least likable of the sisters. Here she's up to her usual tricks. But Mama is magnificent, as always.

There's more of the Jewish religion explained- many
Luisa Knight
I don't usually like series. Although I might love the characters, I find myself getting generally bored with the various plots, often mundane or regurgitated, that the author tries concocting to keep the books coming. Not so with this series! I love, love it!

The fourth book is just as wonderful, people!

Ages: 9 - 13

Cleanliness
Children's Bad Words
Mild Obscenities & Substitutions - 1 Incident: stupid
Name Calling - 2 Incidents: stupid, rascal
Religious Profanities - 18 Incidents: Gee, goodness, Good
Joan
Looks as though I'm skipping around in this series. I went from the first one to the fourth one. It is nice but just doesn't hit all the perfect points that the first one did. I think the family doesn't feel quite as special now that it is more assimilated in American society. There were some great scenes though. The one where the kids in all innocence ate a meal at the wrong apartment is hilarious! So is the one of Ella and Jules eating at a restaurant for the first time ever. I was glad to see ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
While the family is still adorable and made me laugh out loud more than once, this volume in the series is more real and sober. The serious illness for Mama and then WWI meant that the family experienced some serious angst. They weathered it all well, together and I am looking forward to the next installment which I plan to begin immediately.
Christina DeVane
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More classic stories! I laughed out loud when Charlie thought Santa Claus was the boogeyman. I had so much empathy for Sarah when she didn’t receive the award she worked so hard for -much personal experience there!😆 And I love Henny’s open and honest responses and sharing of her thoughts. I imagine myself as her when I was growing up. Some serious storylines as WWI has started.
Ashley
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Somehow I missed this one when I originally read the series 30+ years ago. The characters and situations are as wonderful as ever, and there was still more for me to learn about Jewish culture and holidays, at least as they were practiced in the US 1917-18.
Eliza Noel
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Now I really just want to time travel back to World War I and have a soldier to knit sweaters for and write letters to.
Sarah Sammis
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown by Sydney Taylor is a perfect illustration of why I recommend everyone try reading a book at random. There are some absolute gems out there that might be beyond your normal scope of view. In last month's trip to the library I chose three books by random: A Traveller in Time, All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown and The Light in the Forest. So far, they have all been delightful.

All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown is the third in a series of semi-autobiographical books by Sydney Taylor
Aida
I can't believe it! I read this series way back at the onset of the 60's, when I was in third grade! One of the first Hispanic families in the Bronx neighborhood where we lived, I attended parochial school with several Italian and Irish children from the hood. There was also a large Judaic community, with a large Synagog around the corner from where we lived. The children of these families attended the local public school, which was not far from where I attended. With only my street friends to e ...more
Michale
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-s-play, tribe
SPOILER ALERT!!! I knew that I had read some of these books as a child, but never in the correct order, and I didn't recall finishing them all. Now that I've (re-)read this one, I understand. I don't think I ever finished it, becasue although I remember the tea stained dress, the rest is a blank. I think I stopped reading it at the point when Mama had to go to the hospital, which must have frightened me, although now it seems kind of tame. I must say that I wish the series was more well written, ...more
Lesley
World War I catches up to our favorite girls as Ella's beau Jules is sent overseas and the girls work to support the war effort. For the first time, the family has gentile neighbors, and Ella develops a friendship with the Irish-American Grace. Wartime sadness tinges this one with a bit more melancholy than the earlier books, yet it is full of the same lively humor, as each daughter gets her chance to shine.
Samantha
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
sometimes I read this kind of saccharine stuff as a kid. I don't really remember it. in my head it's kind of lumped in with the betsy-tacy stuff I read. I think books like this are exactly why beverly cleary was such a breath of fresh air. I don't remember much of how I decided what to read as a kid; I don't seem to have been all that discriminating.
Clarissa
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This story follows the family through the first World War. Challenges arise, new friendships are formed, and the family offers support and encouragement to one another. Lovely.
Melissa
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul and I enjoyed this one too. I was in tears as I read the ending when WWI ends and "the world is at peace." I only wish.
Melki
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Mama's hospitalization, and the First World War bring changes for the family, but every crisis is conquered with love, laughter, and understanding. A fine comfort read for troubled times.
Courtney Milford
Loved these books. As a kid, I barely knew any Jewish people so that made it even more interesting to read about this family.
Laila
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
It's hard to rate a young person's book as I'm sure if this had childhood memories for me, I'd rate it higher. Sweet family.
Bren
Loved these books..all of them..in my youth. Loved Ella especially. I remember sitting in a library and reading. Great series.
Gehayi
The third book published but the fourth chronologically, this book takes place around 1916-1918, beginning about two years after More All-of-a-Kind Family. As the book starts, Ella is now sixteen and very serious about her boyfriend Jules; Henny is fourteen and popular; Sarah is twelve and dedicating herself to winning the history prize at the end of the school year; and Charlotte and Gertie, at ten and eight, are trying to do everything their older sisters manage...though with limited success.

T
Amanda
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to the All-of-a-Kind Family saga. And this one takes the reader into the Great War. Sure it wasn't the dark, gritty Great War, but the sacrifices required of those at home were discussed at an age appropriate level. In this book the girls are older and their experiences match that. I did wonder at the Healys, how common would it have been for the Christians and the Jews to share religious celebrations together at the beginning of the 1900s? I don't know, but I do hope it w ...more
Anna
Aug 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the earlier books in the series
All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown fits in with the rest of the series but strikes a slightly different, slightly less charming tone: the girls are older, the talk of WW1 grounds it more firmly into a specific year, and the family seems to be somewhat wealthier than at the start of the series.

I also think the chapter talking about (view spoiler) wasn't well introduced--I spent the rest of the book wondering if my e-book copy was missing a chapter, since she's su
Ms. B
More anecdotes about the five sisters and their younger brother Charlie growing up in 1910s New York City. This one starts out with the sisters wandering into the wrong apartment when visiting an aunt and uncle for dinner. Could you imagine an unlocked door and helping yourself to dinner because your hosts are late in the 2010s? Times have changed! This one also features the continuation of Ella the oldest sister and Jules budding romance; Jules enlists in the Army to fight overseas in World War ...more
Teri
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My 9 yr old daughter has loved this series, too. She told me Henny is a favorite character because she is mischievous. That Henny is a hoot and keeps everyone on their toes. The book begins with Mama having a health scare. The girls all pitch in to help. There is a nice mixture of drama and humor in these books. Just like real life. I have loved learning more about Jewish customs and traditions as this family has faithfully lived them.
Kate H
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The All-of-a-Kind Family books were some of my mother's favorites growing up so of course I read them as a child. I recently re-read them and still enjoyed them as an adult. There are some parts of them that are rather problematic from a religious tolerance perspective but in general they stand the test of time and are sweet well written books.
Humbledaisy
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really sweet look back at immigrant life in New York City. I'd read that the author's publisher put off publishing this particular story because they felt it was too dark for children but I think it would be fine for late elementary age and above. Certainly if it was being read along with an adult. Published later in the series but set earlier in the series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
  • Heaven to Betsy (Betsy-Tacy, #5)
  • Cheaper by the Dozen (Cheaper by the Dozen, #1)
  • Caddie Woodlawn's Family (Caddie Woodlawn, #2)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)
  • The Great Brain Reforms (Great Brain, #5)
  • The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)
  • Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy, #8)
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Mama's Bank Account
  • The Moffats (The Moffats, #1)
  • Dancing Shoes
  • Emily of Deep Valley (Deep Valley, #2)
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3)
  • Betsy's Wedding (Betsy-Tacy, #10)
Taylor was born on October 31, 1904 on New York City's Lower East Side. Her Jewish immigrant family lived in poverty conditions, but they felt great respect and appreciation for the country that gave them hope and opportunities for the future. This childhood led Taylor eventually into writing.

Taylor started working as a secretary after she graduated from high school, married her husband, and spen

All-of-a-Kind Family (5 books)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind-Family, #1)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind-Family, #2)
  • More All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind-Family, #3)
  • Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind-Family, #5)