Start by marking “The First Heretic” as Want to Read:
The First Heretic

The First Heretic (The Horus Heresy #14)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  2,959 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Amidst the galaxy-wide war of the Great Crusade, the Emperor castigates the Word Bearers for their worship. Distraught at this judgement, Lorgar and his Legion seek another path while devastating world after world, venting their fury and fervour on the battlefield. Their search for a new purpose leads them to the edge of the material universe, where they meet ancient force ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Black Library (first published October 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The First Heretic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Heretic

Keamy Loken
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well all the other teenage girls where worshiping Twilight, I was on a Pilgrimage with the Word Bearers to find the true gods.

My first experience with Aaron Dembski-Bowden was Helsreach. By far not his best book and also...I've lately come to realize I really hate the Black Templers. So to say I was excited when I found out Aaron was the writer for this book would be a lie, I was mad. The story really interested me however and I bought the book.

I am sorry I judged Aaron D-B on Helsreach, The Fi
Emil Söderman
Like Fulgrim, A Thousand Sons, and the short story Butcher's Nails in Tales of Heresy, this book largely follows one of the traitor primarchs and his fall into Chaos. This time Lorgar Aurelian the Word Bearer: Most devoted son of the Emperor, first convert to Chaos.

The result is... Mixed. What you realize after a couple of books is that The Emperor is a shitty dad. And just about all problems in the Heresy stems out of his inability to consider the emotional and psychological needs of his gaggle
Andrew Ziegler
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to start with my review of this book? I guess, the first stop will be the author. I have not read anything by Aaron Dembski-Bowden yet, neither in the 40K universe or in any other alternate universe of fiction that he has written in. Wait, scratch that, rewind, yes, I belong to his blog, and remember very distincly his amazing blog about pitching an idea to Dan Abnett and the other 40K mucky-mucks. It was hilarious. That besides the point. Aaron is legit. This was out of the norm for me. N ...more
Student Teacher
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was really looking forward to this book, as the Word Bearers were one of the original legions that I know very little about. My only previous experiance was with The Battle For the Abyss, and that wasn't really a Word Bearer book.

I enjoyed this book a great deal. It was different from many of the other Horus books in that we have a main character that isn't a stand out against the fall of his legion like Garro from the Death Guard, or even someone who is convinced he is doing what is good for
Rebecca
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OK, this is THE book that makes EVERYTHING, the whole heresy deal and Chaos, make sense! It's the one that tells you everything you need to go on with pretty much any heresy book now. You thought you had "The Aether" all figured out in "Thousand Sons" eh? Whateva! This takes the Empyrean to a whole new level on a different scale! I LOVED all the deamons in this one!(even if it might have been "too gory" for your weak, lesser mortal minds.) Creep me out all you want I LOVE THIS!!!
I'm glad it didn
Alexander Draganov
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating novel, which trascends the genre with metaphysical discussion about the role of religion in a supposedly enlightened society and the perception of Heaven and Hell in the mind of the believer, all of this interwoven into an enthralling and epic space opera with gargantuan battles and level of gore, which is not for the squeamish. Detailed review in Bulgarian here:
Christian
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
An incredibly compelling look into why it could be argued humanity NEEDS religion and is hardwired for belief in the spiritual. It's a tragic and heart breaking drama that asks the questions: What do you do when you find out that God is really the devil? And do you preach and hope for heaven even if you know your place is in hell?
Adam O'Grady
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is solid science fiction, worthwhile even if you've never been into Warhammer 40k before. It's the story of Lorgar and his failure to live up to the warlike expectations set by his father and brothers. Instead he dreams of being a philosopher and priest and after being castigated for his work tries to find new divine inspiration, potentially leading to the damnation of humankind across the galaxy.

It's mostly told through the perspective of other warriors and people variously under Lorgar bu
Steve
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The First Heretic is the 14th book in the series, and is written by Aaron Dembski-Bowden ('easily the coolest name' according to a clip from the DLT podcasts). He's written a few other books for Black Library, but I don't believe I've read any of them yet.

The novel covers Lorgar and his legion, the Word Bearers. There are three phases to the book, which are actually divided to help the reader out:
Grey, the Word Bearers fall from grace, and their punishment by the Emperor.
Pilgrimage, their voyage
Fabián Vaca
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excelente libro, muy recomendado para los que nos gusta Wh40k y la ciencia ficción en general.
  • A Thousand Sons
  • Galaxy in Flames
  • Mark of Calth
  • Descent of Angels
  • Scars

The Horus Heresy (1 - 10 of 63 books)
  • Horus Rising
  • Legion
  • Battle for the Abyss
  • Mechanicum
  • Tales of Heresy
“Everything is darkest," Xaphen mused, "before the dawn."

"That, my brother, is an axiom that sounds immensely profound until you realize it's a lie.”
31 likes
“Xaphen swore an oath never to fail his primarch.

Argal Tal did not. He spoke in a voice soft enough to break hearts, "We are heretics, father.”
7 likes