Start by marking “Discipling Nations: The Power of Truth to Transform Cultures” as Want to Read:
Discipling Nations: The Power of Truth to Transform Cultures

Discipling Nations: The Power of Truth to Transform Cultures

The power of the gospel to transform individual lives has been clearly evident throughout New Testament history. But what of the darkness and poverty that enslave entire cultures, even nations? Have Christians underestimated the power of God's truth to transform entire societies? In Discipling Nations, Darrow Miller builds a powerful and convincing thesis that God's truth ...more
Published August 1st 2001 by YWAM Publishing (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Discipling Nations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discipling Nations

Start your review of Discipling Nations: The Power of Truth to Transform Cultures
Kent Kessler
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ideas have the most powerful consequences. That is why the authors want you to know that “the most effective tool we can wield in our efforts on behalf of the needy is a biblical worldview.” The book focuses on the practical gospel--the incarnation where a savior leaves his home behind to come and suffer with us to help us put our lives back together again. I have to be as loving toward others as God has been toward me. Do we see others as precious enough to serve at personal cost? Christ loves ...more
Paul,
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok

The tragedy of our times is that while many Christians have confidence in the power of the Lord to return and change the world, many of us do not have confidence in the power of the gospel to transform society now. Carey struggled against specific social evils, just as his friends in England were continuing their struggle against evils. But Carey’s confidence was not in his social protest or social action, but in the gospel. This is the very opposite of those Christians who put their hope for ch
Michael Schmid
This book was not quite what I expected. The focus is on how a trinitarian theistic worldview transformes cultures for the better, in areas such as wealth, education, morality and more. Miller makes some good points, but I found the presentation of the ideas not so clear, often too repetitious and too much jumping back and forth. Nevertheless worth a read.
Niel Knoblauch
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of our congregation's leadership course.

It's a very good book, built around the idea (haha) of "ideas have consequences" - and that our worldviews inform our culture, economy and development ethic.
Rob
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: WorldView seekers
Recommended to Rob by: Brent Sadler
This is an good book that give a clear picture of major Worldviews prevalent in society today. If you are not familiar with word roots, this book will give you a familiarity with Greek and Hebrew word roots as they relate to the discussion. This will, however, slow your reading as you try to integrate unfamiliar language into the discussion as it is repeated and embedded throughout.
The glossary may be a good place to start to have the basic understanding of the vocabulary to be used.
While it is
Ian
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This slightly uneven but interesting book aims to apply worldview thinking (complete with requisite charts and graphs, à la Schaeffer) to the problem of world development and eliminating poverty. Like many books on worldview, it sums itself up with Weaver's famous "ideas have consequences," and this book really does argue persuasively that ideas have consequences in the economic and social health of nations.
Ben Geib
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
One thing Miller does really well is taking worldviews to their furthest logical conclusions. "Discipling Nations" serves as a general introduction to worldviews and sums up their effects on cultures.
Nicki
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this book...looks beyond culture differences, anthropology, sociology, history of a people. Shows how God's power transforms, not only lives, but societies for the better....The core beliefs of people and people groups affect deeply who they are and how they live
René Callejas
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The most comprehensive compendium of Biblical Worldview. Must read for every Christian worker in the Missionary Field or Local Church.
Alan Jones
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One book I could not do without. It is a definitive work for any church leader interested in any mission.
Ron
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darrow Miller compares the different major systems of belief and that Christianity offers the only real hope for the world.
Jon
An interesting Christian social science book for missions. Not recommended for anyone who does not believe in the Christian world view.
Marilyn
Nov 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • Flickering Pixels: How Technology Shapes Your Faith
  • The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations
  • Story Proof: The Science Behind the Startling Power of Story
  • Leading Change
  • The Collected Sermons of Fred B. Craddock
  • Winning the Story Wars: Why Those Who Tell (and Live) the Best Stories Will Rule the Future
  • Cross-Cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility
  • When Skeptics Ask
  • The Knowledge of the Holy
  • The God Ask
  • Knowing God
Darrow Miller is co-founder of the Disciple Nations Alliance and a featured author and teacher. For over 25 years, Darrow has been a popular conference speaker on topics that include Christianity and culture, apologetics, worldview, poverty, and the dignity of women.

From 1981 to 2007 Darrow served with Food for the Hungry International, and from 1994 as Vice President. Before joining FH, Darrow sp

News & Interviews