Start by marking “The Missing Mitten Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Missing Mitten Mystery

The Missing Mitten Mystery

Annie and her dog, Oscar, have had a busy day playing in the snow. Somehow Annie's red mitten has disappeared in all the fun. They look high and low. . . . It's not on the sledding hill, and it's not by the snow castles. Maybe an eagle carried it off to keep its baby's head warm. Or maybe a mouse is using it as a sleeping bag. When the sun goes down, Annie and Oscar have t ...more
Published September 23rd 2002 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Mitten Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missing Mitten Mystery

Start your review of The Missing Mitten Mystery
Manybooks
The Missing Mitten Mystery is basically and simply a sweet little tale of a young girl and her dog trying to find her one missing mitten (mostly by retracing her steps to where she had previously been playing with her friends, but also having her muse that perhaps her mitten might equally have been absconded with by a bird or a mouse). And while there is in my opinion nothing in any manner spectacular or outrageous with regard to either Steven Kellogg's narrative or his accompanying illustration ...more
Kathryn
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! It just glows with warmth, joy and good spirit. I love how we are just plopped right into the middle of the action, the story opens with the little girl declaring to her puppy, "Oscar, I lost my other mitten." The footprints behind her through the snow tells us there must have been an adventure that day, and I love how she backtracks through the snowy-now to the places she played that day, remembering what she did and imagining the fate of her mitten. It's so very child-like and jo ...more
Shiloah
Such a cute one! Loved the mitten tree!
Evelyn Swanson
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Missing Mitten Mystery by award-winning writer and illustrator Steven Kellogg is a fun and imaginative story that revolves around a mystery. I recommend this book as a winter read aloud for students in preschool to third grade.

The story begins when Annie lost her mitten while playing in the snow with friends and her dog Oscar. She thinks she is in "big trouble” so, Annie sets off with Oscar retracing every place they had played that day so that with any luck she can find her mitten. While l
Carolyn Cirasole
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
MYSTERY...The Missing Mitten Mystery is an adorable little story geared towards the early elementary ages. The main character in the story searches high and low for his lost mitten. He retraces his steps in hopes of finding it but only discovers other objects (and memories) there. Along the way, he uses his imagination as to where it can be or what might have happened to it. I found it to be so innocent that he wanted to plant a glove to grow another so he can make a pair and then he would give ...more
Mary
Nov 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Annie looses another mitten, making it five lost mittens this year. Annie goes on a search to find her mitten. She has a good imagination of the places her mitten could be.
This was a cute winter book.
kristen
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun book to read with primary grades to introduce clue writing. I read this with a group of 1st and 3rd graders, we hid mittens, wrote clues, buddied up, and found mittens by reading their descriptive writing clues. Fun!
Annette
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Steven Kellogg so it's no surprise that I like this book. I love the mitten tree and where she finds her mitten at the end. ...more
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is so great - I love how she finds her mitten in the end!!
Elaine
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the images! Cute story.
Anne
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2008
CIP: Annie loses her 5th mitten of the winter and she searches the whole neighborhood before she finds it.

Review: Children will easily relate to this realistic tale of a lost item, interwoven with vivid spurts of imagination prompted by the search. The beautifully and creatively rendered illustrations will grab any reader's attention, no matter what age they are. Great for story-times or one-on-one with ages 2 and up.

Kirkus says: "suffused with Kellogg's characteristic warmth and charm."
Children
Turrean
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
My kindergarteners enjoyed it. Some were quite serious about the main character’s flights of fancy (maybe a mouse was using the missing mitten as a sleeping bag, I read. “I don’t think mice need ‘em,” was one kid’s comment.) Others laughed at the idea of a mitten tree or an eaglet hat.
Andrea
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dolly
Jun 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, mystery
This is a cute story; it's a nice book to read when we are in the middle of a hot summer. You can almost feel how cold the snow is. Warm mittens aren't exactly appropriate where we live, but you can appreciate the frustrating search for a lost item.

This book was featured as one of the selections for the October 2019: Celebrating Steven Kellogg discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books group here at Goodreads.
Beverly
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbf-mammals
I really enjoyed this story very much. Kathryn already said about all there is to say about it--I loved that it jumped right into the "mystery," and all the girl's wild imaginations of where it might have ended up. I loved the girl's dog--a Dandie Dinmont terrier, with its mop of hair on its head and its short front legs. I also loved that he put a Pinkerton toy on the mantle of the fireplace in the Christmas scene. There are also some children's drawings of Pinkerton on the birthday mitten page ...more
Peace_Love_Reading
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McKenzie Creagan
Marissa Briggs
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about a little girl who lost one of her mittens and is determined to find it. During the story she comes up with many creative ways she lost her mitten as they trace their steps throughout the day. At the end the sun starts to come out and melt the snow, as the snow melted she realizes that she accidentally buried it in the snowman.

A theme in this is creativity, this theme is shown in how she came up with these extravagant ways she lost her mitten.

As I read this I found myself curio
Jessica Harnish
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: realistic
The Missing Mitten Mystery is about a little girl who loses her mitten while playing in the snow. Annie and her dog look everywhere for her mitten. After Annie goes inside, she looks out the window at the snowman she has built and sees her mitten in a very heartwarming place!

The Missing Mitten Mystery is a fun winter story; children of all ages can relate to losing mittens during the winter time. The illustrations in this story are very eye catching. This is definitely a book to add to your coll
Shay
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storybook
The Missing Mitten Mystery by Steven Kellogg
This book was a very heartwarming book. It was about a young girl and a dog who looks all over the place for her missing mitten. They backtracked to multiple locations; “Let’s look on Ralph’s Sled.” They also try and guess where the mitten could have gone, whether some type of animal has stolen it, or if it simply walked away. I think children can take away that you don’t give up and you keep trying. Even though it might not be the first place you che
Jana
This cute mystery picture book reminds me of The Mitten by Jan Brett. If you ever take a glance in the Lost and Found at an elementary school, you’ll see that lost mittens are a very common problem. In this story, a little girl has lost a red mitten and she and her dog retrace her steps from a day spent playing all over the neighborhood in the snow. The artist created black and white illustrations, except for a red cardinal, and red mittens. This would be a good book to include in a collection o ...more
Kim
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Genre: Mystery Children's Picture Book

I really liked this book and thought it would be a great read for students Kindergarten through Third Grade. I think students could easily relate to losing a mitten or glove and how it can be a mystery trying to find it back. One of my favorite things about the book are the pictures and how you could describe the story without reading the words.

One drawback is the size of text. It is small, so I would use this as a read a loud until students are ready to re
Hanna
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Genre: Mystery
One Unique Feature: One unique feature that this book contains are the small pictures that are in little thought bubbles that come out from the main characters head. These small pictures show what the main character is visualizing which is very unique. The little pictures also show where the characters are going next on their adventure to find the missing mitten.
Grade(s): K - 2nd grade
Date Completed: 2/26/18
Christina Senf
This was a mystery book about a girl in search of her missing mitten. She seems to lose her mittens often. She revisits all the places she spent that morning in search of her missing mitten. Ahe finally finds her mitten at the end of the story she gave her snowman she built a heart. This story used good imagination when she would check each spot. When she did not find it in one spot she would imagine her mitten being used in a creative way.
Kyle Hunter
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a fun book with a couple cute, imaginative twists... BUT, while the mystery of the missing mitten is solved, three far more sinister and troubling mysteries materialize: what happened to Ralph, Herbie, and Ruth? How could they survive in the desolate, frozen landscape without the vital clothing they left behind? Is Annie desperately trying to find the mitten so she doesn’t leave any evidence behind? Ultimately, this book raises so many more questions than answers. A mystery indeed.
Emmie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edr-320
Mystery, Most suitable for grades k-2.

This book would serve as a great mentor text for a genre study in younger grades. I love its simplicity-- Its unique in that it introduces a complex genre in a way that graspable for young minds. The pictures are cute and tell the story well. If I were to teach lower elementary, I would definitely keep this on my read-aloud shelf!
Alexis Hoffman
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-2
Such a cute story of a girl trying to find her lost mitten with the help of her dog! The story shows that the two had fun that day but now the focus is on finding the missing mitten. was it dropped? Is it still there? Was it picked up by a bird? This story shows the way one should retrace their steps to find a lost item.
Abby Gallier
This is a cute story to read aloud to ages 5-8. It is about a little girl who discovers she has lost one of her mittens, and thinks up all these scenarios as to where it could have gone. It's a very cute story, and with the help of her dog Oscar, she is able to solve the missing mitten mystery. ...more
Kate Matheis
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The girl loses her mitten and thinks of imaginative things that might have happened to the mitten while she retraces her steps. She gives up when it starts to rain. the rain melts the snow and she finds where her mitten was lost.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Extra Yarn
  • Once a Mouse...
  • Red and Lulu
  • Stick Man
Steven Kellogg is an author and illustrator who has contributed over 90 books for children. He is best known for writing books about animals, for which he credits his grandmother .