Start by marking “The Day the Goose Got Loose” as Want to Read:
The Day the Goose Got Loose

The Day the Goose Got Loose

Just how much havoc can one goose cause? Take a gander at the chaos that results when a long-necked mischief-maker flies the coop. Soon the bull's broken through the fence, and cows and horses are galloping all over town. The stampede will go on until dawn--and the laughter will last even longer. Full color.
Published April 1st 1995 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Day the Goose Got Loose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day the Goose Got Loose

Start your review of The Day the Goose Got Loose
Michael
My daughter picked this one out tonight: Daddy, this is one we haven't read in a looooooonnnggg time! She was right, I had forgotten all about it. Which I realize is not a great compliment, but it's not really an earth-shattering story. However, it is very clever, and is probably worth at least 4 stars. The illustrations are zany and hilarious, with an insane attention to detail. And it is told as a poem, with one of my favorite rhyming schemes of all time (a/b, b, b, a, notation not official!), ...more
Jourdan
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
When the goose gets loose, everything goes crazy. The ram got out and butted a young child! The horses were also able to escape with the goose's help and they caused a riot. It seems as if every animal on their farm was set free and was causing some kind of ruckus somewhere. It was later revealed that the wild geese were in on the escape and had tempted the goose. The character in the story talks about how the loose goose made her family feel angry and annoyed. When it came to how she felt, it ...more
Colin
Jun 27, 2013 added it
This is a poetry book that was a lot of fun to read. In a nutshell a farm goose gets loose and just causes chaos all over a farm. The pictures in this book are great and can be used as discussion prompts in a class, for example, the facial expressions are priceless, a basic prompt could be; "what do you think this man is thinking". The rhyming is a lot of fun and there is one line of repetition between stanzas that students will repeat. "The day the goose got loose" is the said line. Like all ...more
Malory Turnbull
This book is a great way to introduce literacy to your classroom. Throughout the story there is a constant tone, the words rhymn. As well as bringing in literacy this book is a great way to show how illistrations can make a story so much better. This book has great art that shows a clear picture of what is going on, this is useful if i were to use the book with a younger group of students. I really enjoy reading this story even at my age I found it to be a fun silly book that brings a smile to ...more
Sandra Y.
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of a goose who gets loose, in a farm, and all the chaos that ensues. Hilariously written in rhyming format, with wonderful illustrations that depicts exactly, the havoc the goose has created. I would recommend this book for first grade and up.
Andy
Beautifully illustrated, but like some of the other books in my Down on the Farm category, many of the illustrations are too busy for a large group of kids. Might work well for a one-on-one, but I doubt it would work for more than a handful of kids. Nice rhymes.
Tristan Doane
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
This book shows that a goose can be mischievous and be wild. It teaches the reader that there are reasons why everyone and everything can act bad, some reasons are good, others are bad. But all in all, it is a good book because of the pictures and the imagination.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Toddler Lap Time on 7/12/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Joyce
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just the kind of book that is so much fun to read to an appreciative audience :->
T.E. Antonino
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lot of fun to read. That goose has some serious issues.
Lance Agena
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Cute story and amazing illustrations.
Cheryl
Really enjoyed the illustrations and the repetition.
emyrose8
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Kind of a poem-y type of book. Beautiful illustrations.
Andrew
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I knew geese could be rabble rousers, but my God, this one takes it too far. The property damage alone is astounding, and the emotional havoc wrought upon this family is unconscionable. 5 Big Stars
Peggy
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Illustrations by Steven Kellogg so of course they're fantastic and add the comic element - but the rhyme is also very good - never really seems too forced. My seven year old enjoyed this one.
Ellen Brandt
Combines farm theme and poetry theme. Students joined in for the refrain 'The day the goose got loose".
Deborah Harris
Dec 31, 2013 added it
Shelves: a32, ar-2
AR Quiz No. 7555 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.3 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
 10-12 Jaycie
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
AWSOME!This book is funny! I love the laughs that shoot off as you read it.
Victoria Nesselroad
This book was about a family that had a farm and that had a goose. When there goose got loose on that day everything was crazy. In the story there was many different things that happened to me it was a big mess. The animals were going all crazy plus they were mad because the goose took some of the different animals food. So the animals were sad and they were mad all at the same time and the farmer was mad too.

For this book for teacher ideas I would use it for if it was animal week or anything
Anthony
A tale told in rhyme of the havoc caused by the family pet that got loose on the farm, and all the mischief it caused with the other farm animals. No one seemed to know what went through the goose's head when it got loose. But the son and daughter knew what it was thinking the day the goose got loose.
Diane
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, picture-books
When the goose got loose she caused a riot. Thus the story starts and we watch as the goose makes hens mad, scares sheep, provokes a bull named Spence and destroys Dads morning routine.

Great pictures. Lots of humor
Hannah
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, poetry
This caught my eye at the local coffee shop. I have an autographed Reeve Lindbergh at home (Under a Wing), and enjoyed her limerick rhymes. Also recognized the illustrator as the same from The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash. The dream scene is particularly riveting.
Hope Irvin Marston
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amusing rhymed tale of mayhem that will hold the interests of young children who love humor and detailed drawings to ponder...with not too much distracting text.
Anazen
Nov 20, 2015
jenna Hudrlik
Apr 17, 2010
Arush Gaur
rated it did not like it
Dec 06, 2016

• How Much Is a Million?
  • You Are Free: Be Who You Already Are
  • Best Friends
  • The Kissing Hand
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pout-Pout Fish Goes to School
  • The Little House
  • Is Your Mama a Llama?
  • It's Christmas, David!
  • Sitting Down to Eat
  • Voices of Christmas
  • The King, the Mice and the Cheese
Children's author, novelist, and poet Reeve Lindbergh is the daughter of world-renowned aviator Charles Lindbergh and his wife, the talented writer Anne Morrow Lindbergh.