Start by marking “Legacy of the Jedi” as Want to Read:
Legacy of the Jedi

Legacy of the Jedi (Star Wars Legends)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  689 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Four generations of Jedi.

One common enemy.

The Jedi Temple is a place of secrets and trust. Inside its walls, a legacy is passed down from generation to generation of peace, justice, and strength. But that legacy can be broken. Sometimes the greatest enemies rise from within....

Published August 1st 2003 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Legacy of the Jedi, please sign up.
Matthew Dooku was unsatisfied by the Jedi's approach to dealing with the Senate the outlying systems, seeing actions like the Trade Federations invasion of…moreDooku was unsatisfied by the Jedi's approach to dealing with the Senate the outlying systems, seeing actions like the Trade Federations invasion of Naboo as a sign that the Republic was weak and wouldn't be able to hold itself together if the Jedi didn't take a more active role in the Senate. After Qui-gon died on Naboo he left the order and returned to his familial home of Serenno and took up his birthright title of Count. During this time he was approached by Sidious and was convinced that the Sith's plan was the only one that would lead to making the Republic strong enough to hold control. So under the name of Sifo-Dyas he ordered the Clone Army from the Kaminoans and arranged for Jango Fett to become the template.

However, as expanded on in the Rise of Darth Vader trilogy, Sidious didn't tell Dooku his real plan. In the version Sidious told Dooku, Dooku survives, not replaced by Vader.(less)

Thomas
I hadn't planned on reading any of the juvenile books in the Expanded Universe. There are enough adult books in the EU as it is, and I didn't feel like doubling the number of books to read was a good idea. As I came out of the Clone Wars and into the period before A New Hope, I wondered about Boba Fett. Research showed that his story was told more in the juvenile books, written by Terry Bisson and Elizabeth Hand, and I thought, what the hell. Since I've been reading these books in chronological ...more
Amy Sturgis
While I realize that the likelihood of the same "Big Bad" turning up again and again in the same inter-generational Master-Padawan line of Jedi Knights strains credulity, I can see why Jude Watson chose this framework to drive home some big themes. Honestly, I read Watson's works for their characterizations and insights into different approaches to the Jedi path and understandings of the Force. This novel offers some very powerful comparisons and contrasts between the different Jedi, especially ...more
Zack
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
The Jedi Order believes in the Force and the light; serving as peacekeepers for the galaxy. They believe in the light side of the Force and diplomacy. But being a Jedi, especially a young one, is not an easy destiny. The dark side is strong and tempting, very much so for someone still not in tune with their emotions. It's something every generation goes through, something they all must conquer.

Padawan Dooku has big dreams for himself; dreams that are threatened when his best friend steals an old
Matthew
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a young adult book in the worst sense - overly simplistic, lacking in details, and generally poorly written. Not a young adult book that could arguably be for adults, depending on who it is marketed to. Young adults shouldn't be expected to suffer through this garbage, and neither should anyone else.

That said, I read this book to learn more of the backstory of young Obi-Wan Kenobi and I found it interesting to see the multiple generations of characters in their teenage years. There was a
Mathieu
Feb 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
Ugh...

read like an outline of a story, no pace, no development, no suspense... just a flat narrative with flatter characters replete with cliches.

Not worth the paper, or the time.
Bookreader1972
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
despite being a scholastic print juvenile book, I am such a huge Star Wars fan that i read this & it companion book, & really liked them.
Jared
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Star Wars Legends Project #101

Background: Legacy of the Jedi was written by Jude Watson and published in August 2003. It ties in heavily with Watson's "Jedi Apprentice" and "Jedi Quest" series, but isn't part of either.

Legacy of the Jedi takes place across several decades, spanning four generations of Jedi. Part One begins 89 years before the Battle of Yavin. Part Two begins 13 years later (76 BBY). Part Three begins 32 years later (44 BBY), between books 10 and 11 of "Jedi Apprentice." Part F
Victor Orozco
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story. The Legacy of the Jedi story is basically about one man who had know all the major Jedi characters spanning several decades leading up to the middle of the Clone Wars. The man being Lorian Nod and the character of the Jedi Dooku, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Anakin. I have to admit I really enjoyed reading the story of the young Count Dooku. I could definitely see what the characters saw in Dooku as a magnificent and charismatic individual who had the respect of the Jedi and of over hal ...more
Taylor
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Legacy of the Jedi Novel Review:

1.Legacy of the Jedi is about four generations of Jedi all in their Padawan years, from Master to Padawan apprentice. Learn about the missions Dooku, Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Anakin Skywalker (Padawan only) went on, the hardships faced, and how some of them became the greatest Jedi Knights or failed and became Sith lords. Who will pass the Jedi trials? What happens when one looks upon a Sith holocron?
2.Generally, I really liked this book, it was really in
Darryl Dobbs
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
After the Darth Bane trilogy, I'm looking forward to the Darth Plagueis and Darth Maul stuff. At this point in my journey through the Star Wars novels chronologically, I can guess which ones I'll enjoy the most.

Legacy of the Jedi

A "young adult" novel that tells four stories - the origin of Count Dooku, the origin of Dooku and his Padawan Qui-Gon Jin, the origin of Qui-Gon and his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi and finally - Obi-Wan and his Padawan Anakin Skywalker. I didn't find the book to be well wri
David
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was ok. followed Lorian Nod and his connection to the Jedi...

Lorian Nod is a promising Jedi apprentice. A Padawan named Dooku is his best friend. Under the watchful eye of Yoda, they are preparing to become Jedi Knights. Dooku knows their fate is intertwined...
Kevin Candela
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
My friend Ash, a Star Wars philosopher, had extra copies of this and another book and very kindly sent them to me to read. Legacy of the Jedi does a fine job of answering - at least in part - a question I've had since watching the prequel trilogy: how does Dooku go bad? And, being four sequential tales in one quick and enjoyable read, it does considerably more than just that. The first tale involves Dooku as a 13 year old jedi padawan, the second picks up with him in his twenties and with my fav ...more
Brad
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
A fun little read. It was good reading about Count Duku as a padawan, then as a Jedi, then finally as a Sith Lord.
Jaime K
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a Padawan, Dooku's best friend was Lorian. Unfortunately, Lorian made some bad choices.

- There was an urban search exercise through Coruscant. It sounds fascinating and fun!

Dooku =, in his pride, forever loses his desires for friendship. And his pride over takes him, making him want to surprass Yoda, creating anger and resentment when he doesn't.

When Qui-Gon's his apprentice, they meet Lorian who is acting like a pirate. It's very odd that Dooku thought that his Force abilities would have va
Dillon Burns
Star Wars: Legacy of The Jedi was and is an amazing book that's shows us the lives of the Jedi Knights and Masters as Padawans. It shows these insights through Dooku, Qui-Gon jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the young Anakin Skywalker. It gives you further insights on these people in the universe and lets you understand why they act the way they do and more. In every story however, it says or interacts with a former Jedi Padawan named Lorian Nod who was a personal friend of Dooku’s who would later try ...more
Matt
Apr 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is a must read for every wannabe author. A writer can learn so much, but for all the wrong reasons. First off, instead of showing, it tells with a frequency that made me want to set the book on fire. Then it has almost zero suspense. As soon as a question is brought to the reader's mind it is answered in the same page or the next page. Part of this was the structure of the book (it did span over 50 years), but most of it was poor writing. The only positives is that you can easily finish thi ...more
James
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I seriously wanted to enjoy this book, but to be honest it was crap.
It started out well with Dooku as a youngling and it had a really good and interesting story at first. Then it just went to crap.
The whole thing is bland and lacks details, and once you reach the third part it tells you some interesting things happened, but it seems barely interested in them and rushes through and eventually just feels like the book is racing to end itself.
To whoever wrote this, just because you use iconic char
RumBelle
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
Lorain Nodd, one man who linked four generations of Jedi and Sith. He started off life as a Jedi Padawan, and friend of fellow Jedi Dooku. When Dooku became a Master, Lorian caused trouble for him and his Padawan Qui-Gon. As the years rolled on, Lorian again popped up in the lives of Qui-Gon and his apprentice Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan's apprentice Anakin. Lorian went from Jedi to pirate and his life had a profound impact on all these characters. The long span of time, and varied characters made this ...more
Michael Goodwin
Dec 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
if you want a Star Wars novel geared towards young adults, or people who can't read very well, this it. If, however you want a good book..... read another book. It was great to read about Qui-Gon as a teen, but I'm seriously hoping that they didn't expect a grown man with a rampant hunger for reading to enjoy this. Of course, being published by Scholastic should tell you that anyone who can read over an elementary school level will not enjoy this. Unless you like, detail-less stories, that is
Patrickderaaff
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Though aimed at younger readers, Jude Watson's books are interesting, well paced and fun. I have read 5 books of her so far. The bond between Master and Padawan is explored through several generations in Legacy Of The Jedi, while all face the same adversary in different situations. Her insights into this bond and the individual characters show that she knows what's she is doing. It is set in the prequel era, my favourite period to read in the EU.
Zuzana
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
4 stories of 4 Jedi generations of Masters and Padawans that are weaved together by a shared antagonist and a common theme. I love Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice series so I'm fine with her style but this book is meant for adults not kids so I would have liked it a bit more complex and mature. That being said it wasn't a total bust. Nothing that has her writing about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon could end up totally bad. 2.5 stars
Jeremiah Johnson
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book more than I did, but I really can't think of anything that stood out to make it better. It wasn't bad, just wasn't fantastic either.
Developing more of the back story of some of the Jedi from the movies and following them through the years was interesting but I think the lack of focus on a story hurts it a bit.
Summer
This was an interesting look at Dooku as a Padawan and I liked the conceit of following a character over time while he interacted with new players. But like most Star Wars novels of this era, my main takeaway is how terrible Obi-Wan's life and relationships turned out to be, through very little fault of his own. Qui-Gon set him up to fail and poor Obi-Wan deserved much better.
Jewels
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-owned
It was interesting to see the generations of Jedi and how each influenced the next under him. Dooku turning from a sympathetic character to the villain at the end was fitting, but seemed more sad than usual. I like the thread of Lorian that tied the stories together as well -- that was neatly done.
Angela
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Suitable for ages 8+ (and those who have seen the films)
This a great read, follows a story with 4 different padawan's through time. It's quick paced and all the characters are spot on. It's fun to see Dooku as a padawan, and a trainer of padawans.
Linda
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This was okay, but I think it needed more length for development. Good premise, but execution -- not so much. It's hard to follow three generations of Jedi Knights, and their Padawans, in only 204 pages.
Andrew
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I mostly liked this book because it had Qui-Gon Jinn in it. Besides that this book was ok. Some have said it's simplistic but what do we really expect from Star Wars - especially a teen type novel? Overall I thought it was good and a nice way to pass time and relax.
Thomas Hunt
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Read it this morning on the Kindle. Shows the backstory of Count Dooku, who was a Jedi Master and trained Qui Gon, which lead to the training of Obi Wan and the mistraining of Anakin Skywalker. A quick read, but fun to think about their backstories.
Craig
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Currently doing a marathon whirlwind reread of the Jude Watson books series. These books are just so fun to read - I miss adventure books like these that are just simple fun to read.
F
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow.
I never knew that Dooku was such a jerk even as a Jedi. So joining the dark side didn't REALLY change him that much.
Anyways, I recommend this book. A very good story.
  • Pursuit (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #6)
  • The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars)
  • Vader's Fortress (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #5)
  • Eaten Alive (Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear, #1)
  • Promises (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #3)
  • The Lost City of the Jedi (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #2)
  • Crossfire (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #2)
  • Renegade (Star Wars: Rebel Force #3)
  • The Rising Force (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #1)

Star Wars Legends (1 - 10 of 348 books)
  • Into the Void (Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi)
  • Precipice (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #1)
  • Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #2)
  • Paragon (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #3)
  • Savior (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #4)
  • Purgatory (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #5)
  • Sentinel (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #6)
  • Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Red Harvest

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)