Start by marking “I Like This Poem: A Collection of Best-Loved Poems Chosen by Children for Other Children” as Want to Read:

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
I LIke This Poem is a classic collection of children's poems from Puffin Books.

Highwaymen and naughty children, sharks and baboons, the Snitterjipe and the Jabberwocky, all have their part to play.

Each and every poem in this treasure chest of family favourites was chosen by a child for other children.

With poems from William Wordsworth and Christina Rosetti to Roald Dahl an
Published October 25th 1979 by Puffin (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about I Like This Poem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Like This Poem

Matt Linzey
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
An excellent selection of poems from both famous and unrecognised poets. With a variety of poems tackling a number of themes, children of all ages will surely find one in this collection that appeals to them whatever thier mood.

Importantly is the mix of both comic and more serious, thought-provoking poems. Some absolute classic children's poems and a variety of refreshingly new poems by a number of up and coming poets.

An anthology that is better described as a treasure chest of children's poetry
Daniel L.
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I Like This Poem; I Love This Book!

The International Year of the Child - What's that? It seems nowadays that the idealism of the 1979 UN proclamation, along with UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, have been consigned to history, something quaint for collectors of stamps and other memorabilia. As the editor of "I Like This Poem," Kaye Webb, points out, there is always a poem to console us, to give us hope.

"I Like This Poem" was truly a labor labor of love, if you would excuse the cliche. A
Rachael
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I Like This Poem is a book complied of many different poetry stories for children. The selection of books can vary for all ages of children ranging from six years up until even fourteen and fifteen years. The book covers many themes and subjects, so this would be a good choice for your classroom so you can please every child, and they can even look through it and find something they would like. This book also has poems that cover different emotions like, sad, comical, serious and thought-provoki ...more
Jessica McIntyre
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it
“I Like This Poem” is a book complied of many different poetry stories for children. The selection of books can vary for all ages of children ranging from six years up until even fourteen and fifteen years. The book covers many themes and subjects, so this would be a good choice for your classroom so you can please every child, and they can even look through it and find something they would like. This book also has poems that cover different emotions like, sad, comical, serious and thought-provo ...more
EL
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I won this book for getting first place in a poetry competition in my school that everyone was made to enter and I didn't really take an I treat in poetry but I had to so I wrote a poem (Limerick) about Greyfriars Bobby and cos I had sic a lack of interest I actually handed mines in late so I was soo surprised when I won first place but after reading this book I began to like poetry and It's great because it's got poems for people of all ages and by so man amazing poets and authors from Roald Da ...more
Hazel
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I got this for my niece's 6th birthday, but will need to buy myself a copy. This is a delightful collection of poems nominated by children from the Puffin Club in the 1970s. They're laid out for ages 6 to 15 and each is accompanied by a brief comment from the boy or girl. Some of these are old favourites of mine, like Noyes The Highwayman; some are new, but they're all good poems, classical and contemporary. Highly recommended.
Gilly G
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First published in 1979 this was my favourite book as a child - 34 years on I still have the same dog eared copy with pages cellotaped together (and I still take it down from the shelf when I need cheering up).

It has no doubt been updated with yet more great verse in the later version but I am too attached to my original copy to buy the updated one!

Highly recommended for children and adults alike :-)
Seonaid
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Our copy is so well read most of the pages are now falling out, but we do love it. The book is separated into poems for 7, 8, 9 all the way to 15 year olds, and cover a wide range of styles, themes and tones, from Spike Milligan and Edward Lear to WH Auden and Shakespeare. And Izzie has a new favourite poem, The Puddock by JM Caie, guaranteed to pull her out of the all bar the worst strop.
Valerie
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Valerie by: Amazon.uk
Some old favorites and some delightful new finds. Who knew there was a poem called "Oh I Wish I'd Looked after me Teeth"? This collection isn't childish (although there's plenty of humor), but contains a strong sampling of shorter classic poems that have vivid imagery, propulsive meter, and memorable subjects.
Annie Cupit
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this collection, which I read in part with my niece. a good, varied collection of children's favourite poems with the reasons why they enjoyed them, organised by age. The children are all 40 now which is odd to think about, but overall a refreshing and thoroughly enjoyable read, much recommended.
Stacey
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-faves
I was given an edition of this as a child.

It is a collection of poems chosen by children (varying in age from 6 to 15) and includes a variety of poems suited to each age group from simple, and light weight to more mature and more complex...
Susan
May 25, 2009 added it
Shelves: poetry, childrens
I have had this book since childhood and although I have re-visited some of the poems on several occasions I have not yet read every single one of them, something I hope to rectify fairly soon.
Karen
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This book was given to me as a child. I love it and the poems have stayed with me, as has the somewhat tattered book. I now recite poems to my child, poor thing!
Lauren
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I grew up on this poetry book. It's a truly wonderful collection of poems that has compelled me to writing my own. I love every poem I read. :D
Maria