Start by marking “Dinner Party” as Want to Read:
Dinner Party

Dinner Party

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Comedy / Characters: 3 male, 3 femaleScenery: Interior

Here is a decidedly French dinner party served up in a chaotic mode that only a master of comedy could create. Five people are invited to dine at a first rate restaurant in Paris. They do not know who the other guests will be or why they have been invited. Tossed together in a private dining room, they have a sneaking s
Published November 16th 2010 by Samuel French, Inc. (first published March 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dinner Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinner Party

Diana
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I usually enjoy Neil Simon's works, but this one was just not for me. Quite honestly, I got bored very quickly. There were a few lines that made me smile, but nothing that really stood out as funny, or even remotely fun. The characters were lacking character and the script...ugh. I am not a fan of this Neil Simon play.
Jackie
May 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
I am a bit biased because I performed in this play. If I was going to be objective, I probably would have given this only two stars. Neil Simon was the writer for the Odd Couple, but here the jokes fall flat and his attempt at relationships-drama is unconvincing.
Nicolas
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scripts
I was kinda getting into the zingers and the mystery behind the dinner, but it totally lost me as it a got all serious and moody at the end. Pass.
Daniel
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays, theatre
I saw this on Broadway and enjoyed it immensely. Now, as I read through it, considering it for production with a local community theatre group, I realize that I like this more than most of Simon's latest works.

I have felt recently that Neil Simon has either tried too hard to make us laugh (Laughter on the 23rd Floor) or been trying to be too poignant (the biographical 'Brighton Beach' series) for me to really enjoy his recent works. Where is the writer who penned The Odd Couple or The Sunshine B
George Garrigues
Jul 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
I acted in this play, for a fairly long run (community theater), but my opinion of it scarcely changed from the time I simply read it to myself in one afternoon to the time the final lights went down on a live performance.

I cannot see why anybody would be interested in these characters as they lay there on the page. Yes, on the stage they came more alive, but, really, these are not very admirable people. Far from it. And, they are dated: It is a drawing-room comedy now that we don't have drawing
Vicki Jaeger
Aug 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Neil Simon fans
As a nod to my drama major days at UCI, I have a bunch of plays I'm trying to get through. Though they're short, I really have to concentrate while reading, so can't do them very often these days! This was a good Neil Simon play, though I do think the ending was a bit of a reach. (But it is a play, and Neil Simon likes you to feel good at the end.)
Caroline Stewart
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
"I don't enjoy pain. I just like the pursuit of it." When I saw this play on Broadway a decade ago, I found it incredibly sharp and sophisticated. In the reading of it now, I still found it sharp and sophisticated, but I also found it to be a bit unrealistic. It's also quite funny that my memory of it wasn't as a comedy.
Perky Texan
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Not Simon's best work. Interesting, but didn't feel like the characters were developed enough, and lacking Simon's strong wit and clever humor. Not terrible, but there are better Simon plays out there for sure.
Marilyn
Oct 23, 2015
Ben Bodamer
Jan 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Marvin Neil Simon is an American playwright and screenwriter. He is one of the most reliable hitmakers in Broadway history, as well as one of the most performed playwrights in the world. Though primarily a comic writer, some of his plays, particularly the Eugene Trilogy and The Sunshine Boys, reflect on the twentieth century Jewish-American experience.
More about Neil Simon...