Start by marking “The Speed Reading Book (Mind Set)” as Want to Read:
The Speed Reading Book (Mind Set)

The Speed Reading Book (Mind Set)

'The Speed Reading Book' is an absolute requirement for anyone with a desire to read and learn more efficiently.' Sean Adam, World Speed Reading Record Holder.

Have you ever wanted to increase dramatically your reading speed, improve your comprehension and enhance your study and learning skills?

The Speed Reading Book, part of Tony Buzan's revolutionary 'Mind Set' series (wh
Published May 8th 2003 by BBC Active (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Speed Reading Book, please sign up.
Leslie Jeanne i once enrolled in a speed reading course, and yes, it's achievable. my highest was 8,250 words per minute. the top of our class had 16,000+. the only…morei once enrolled in a speed reading course, and yes, it's achievable. my highest was 8,250 words per minute. the top of our class had 16,000+. the only problem is that comprehension might not be as great.(less)

Start your review of The Speed Reading Book (Mind Set)
Heidi The Reader
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I did not speed read Tony Buzan's The Speed Reading Book because I found it to be rather a slog. There is useful information in here about the physical capabilities of your eyes and brain, methods for training your eyes how to move, the benefits of improving your vocabulary, how to recognize patterns in the way paragraphs are structured, and the basics of logic.

However, it's interspersed with information that I felt was better presented in Use Your Head.

"Quite apart from important improvements i
Mario the lone bookwolf
A grandiose opportunity to significantly expand your reading skills including reading comprehension

Please note that I put the original German text at the end of this review. Just if you might be interested.

This book, published for the first time in 1971 in the English original, represents the laying of the foundation stone of a technique whose utility for contemporaries inclined to literature is hard to gauge.
Buzan leads through the different techniques of quick reading, tries to increase motiva
Mohammed Almahfoudh
I read the Arabic ediion of this book because it is the only edition available in my university library (KFUPM Main Library). This book is one of a series of books on mind, memory, reading skills. When you first read the introductory part of this book, you'll that you are reading one of the weight loss ads on TV that usually exaggerate the real benifits of the their service or method. Don't judge too quickly , start reading and applying what you read and you'll be amazed of your results. Of cour ...more
Rami Saber
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Actually the book has some important concepts, and many thanks to Buzan for his insights on human skills.

But overall I do not like the way some books are written where the content of the book can be delivered in 10 pages, but rather it is written in around 300 pages.

For speed reading I recommend the The Free Speed Reading Course youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q25Uqa...

It will cover the topic without the spices added in Buzan's book which, unlike spices, doesn't add taste nor smell
Nash
Aug 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: already-read
Before I had my first experience in mindfulness meditation, I was crazy about mind developing in another way already. You can call it a worldly aspect of it. I was very much into books about brain development, memory enhancement and stuff. Not that it worked for me! I have noticed, especially after my numerous retreats, that my brain does decline with age. But at least I'm trying! Well, this book is from my pre-meditation day, and now and then I still pick it up to read for fun, and I use it to ...more
Basim Mahmoud
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it

I bought this book 5 years ago, but, finished it with no effort these days.

We can summarize the idea of most books concerned with the speed of reading or the fast reading;

-Get the motivation
-Increase your speed and practice as much as you can on each level you get- you can borrow the techniques of the athletes' heroes.
-Make reading a daily habit.
-The more you practice the more you master.

but,

the most remarkable aspect is; this book was first published in 1971; which means that surely it was a
Maen
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it
A good book to double or triple your reading speed.. but I am not sure if more is possible..
Daniel Taylor
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the 2016 Toastmasters International Convention, Tony Buzan was presented with the Golden Gavel to recognise his achievements in the study of the mind. If you want to learn how to read fast, few people can teach you as well as he can. People wonder how I read as many books as I do... the earlier edition of the book taught me the elemental principles of my speed reading system. Everyone professional needs to read to stay indispensable in their company and this book will help you read faster and ...more
Yassmeen Madwar
An interesting and helpful book, gives you the major rules for speed reading with the benefit of a good deal of historic and modern information.
Mr Shahabi
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pre-
In-
Th-
Ge-

What a shitty book... Such a shitty approach..

Man..
Shit.
Sean O'Reilly
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!

It must have been around 5 years ago, maybe more that I became interested in Tony Buzan's Mind-Mapping technique which, at the time, was rather fashionable in the field of primary school teaching. It must have been at about that time that I saw this book on the For Sale shelf of my local library.

I read the whole bookbefore working through it properly and doing the exercises. The theory is quite convincing in it's
Mehdi
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I'm going to have to read again and again just so that I can go through and finish all the exercises assigned in it, but I hope it's well worth it. I'm finding that I am reading faster just through finger tracing, so hopefully the rest of the advice in the book will also lead to further improvement (so far, though, the peripheral vision exercise just made me dizzy and frustrated...). I particularly liked in his conclusion that he mentioned how the future of schooling and education ...more
Brittany
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I like all of Tony Buzan's books, including this one. I greatly increased my reading speed within the first few chapters. However, by the middle of the book my speed came to a plateau. Therefore, I didn't finish the last few chapters. Never the less, I would suggest this book for anyone who does a lot of reading for leisure, work or school. I use these speed reading techniques quite often.
A.M.
I didn’t get much out of this because, instead of being uploaded as a mobi file they have scanned each page as an image.
Which means I cannot read it on my phone app; the type is too small. And if I zoom in, I then have to shift the image from side to side, which makes it basically unreadable.
Irony, no?
dnf
Bighomer
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a decent read. It has good, interesting information on speed reading. Hence, I can recommend it. However, I want to mention two caveats:
First, virtually all you learn in this book is available for free on the internet. The methods will be the same (although here you have them all presented very nicely).
Second, reading this book won't exactly improve your reading speed (actually it will, but only because people don't try to read fast by default). Actually reaching those fabled speed
Ahmadreza Abbaslou
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
when i saw this book, i thought although this book is like other guidelines for speed reading. but by continuing the content of book, i found it really different out of other books. the step by step teaching, quizzes, being evidence based and ....
before this book, my reading speed was about 200 words per minute but immediately after finishing this book, i reach to speed 700 wpm. and now according to what Tony Buzan said in this book, I'm doing my best to reach at least 1000 wpm!!!
i advice this b
Jin Kok
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fact blew me away: You don't need to read slowly to have comprehension.
You can read as fast as 1000wpm and still have as much comprehension as those who read 350wpm. So far the world record holder who has read Harry Potter Deathly Hallow, read under 1 hour. She read at break neck speed of 4251, My reading barrier has been shattered and my vision has been broaden. Amen.
bobroxxu
May 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book. After reading and practicing it, I increased my reading speed by a factor of about four. My comprehension also increased significantly.
Reading this book actually saves you time and allows you to enjoy life with more confidence.
Roman
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interest book about fast reading methods
Ed van der Winden
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've always been an avid reader. by nature I have also always been a rather slow reader. Surprisingly, all claims in this book turn out to be true. However, it takes practice and perseverance. ...more
ناديا
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I may change the score when i feel i got the benefits from :) the book is great providing you step by step all needed practises .. It is up to me to get the best of it ... I will start ...
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)
This has been good to read through and have learnt some great techniques that I feel actually have improved my reading speed... HURRAY! :)
Shirley Wang
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This book could serve as a not-so-bad introductory to speed reading. The content includes:

Confidence
1. Adults can definitely read faster because they did when were in school
2. There are so many success stories in the world speed-reading champions and author's students
3. The magic power lies in our eyes - it can intake more information than you imagine

Set-ups
1. How to read comfortably - gesture, desk & chair height
2. The guidance - a pointer is necessary

Reading tricks
1. Double line
2. Z-scanning
Zlatko
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is quite decent in explaining "how" to do speed reading if you're inclined to do so.
However this whole speed reading philosophy, is IMO, unneccessary, perhaps even too capitalistic/productivity oriented, or should I say, plain wrong.

Reading is one of the rare true, authentic pleasures that a human can enjoy... our thought processes are valuable, and there's no need to rush with thinking, whether the thoughts are your own, or absorbed from a page.

Read at your own, natural pace, don't w
Atiqah
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you love results? I do too, especially when I can see it with numbers. That’s all I’m expecting out of this book. And I got it.

The exercises force you to engage. I discovered that my normal reading speed (complete with inevitable distractions that comes with caring for a toddler) is 207 words per minute with 67% comprehension. What does this mean? Apparently, I’m super average = super boring. I discovered that common reading habits like back-skipping (returning my eyes to words that have just
Katia M. Davis
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was interesting. I discovered I already use a lot of the techniques described, so it was nice to know I'm on the right track. I think this would benefit someone who is an average or below average reader and wants to improve their speed and comprehension. It would also be good for people who are studying and need fast and effective ways to take in vast amounts of information and remember it. It's a little outdated, but I am sure there are more recent editions that take into account things li ...more
Marium Mostafiz Mou
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I will never compromise my comprehension just to speed read

This book offers 5/6 test and so many tactics to follow to improve the speed.
At the beginning of the tests, my comprehension level was 80% and thanks for those amazing(!!) Tips it dropped to 63%. I acknowledge that the writer had good intentions but these tricks didn't work for me.

Yes, my life long built habit can not be changed overnight by any book!
I bought this one because of one particular social influencer who bragged too much. Thi
Laura Janeiro
Dec 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
One star is too much, but without that star it seems I didn't rate it.

My impression is that this is a pamphlet intended to sell the author. Too many pages devoted to examples that are difficult to demonstrate and assertions of doubtful validity that lead to the doubtful slogan "if someone else did it, you can do it"

I take 5% of the book as (maybe) salvageable material, which happened around chapter 4. This means I wasted 95% of my time reading it.

This was one of the many (and luckily increasingl
Thomas
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone that is willing to put effort into reading
This book serves a good general overview of the topic sourrounding speed-reading and debunkes many misconceptions I was told about reading for example the famous rule "read slowly to understand" which the author exposes to be utterly wrong as text comprehension raises with increasing speed (to some extent). Yet Tony Buzan claims that anyone putting in enough effort will be able to read at 1000 WPM with nearly perfect comprehension which seems utterly unrealistic (I managed around 800 WPM with 70 ...more
Cooper Hayward
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020-read
Brings nothing new to the table. Way better books out there on speed reading such as 10 Days to Faster Reading.

Was incredibly annoyed to find that the questions and answers did not line up. I think it was self test 3. Question 2. The answer was apparently C or something yet the question was a true or false. Really really ridiculous to have such a mistake on something that is testing our progress. Only giving it two stars because it gave me an appreciation for poetry and did well explaining how i
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Erti Beragama Yang Hilang
  • Just Shut Up and Do It: 7 Steps to Conquer Your Goals
  • Nếu Ngày Mai Không Bao Giờ Đến
  • L'art de la Simplicité: How to Live More with Less
  • Der Corona-Schock: Wie die Wirtschaft überlebt
  • You Can Read Anyone: Never Be Fooled, Lied To, or Taken Advantage of Again
  • APRENDE INGLÉS EN SIETE DÍAS (Psicología Y Autoayuda) (Spanish Edition)
  • The Art of Thinking Clearly
  • প্যারাময় লাইফের প্যারাসিটামল
  • 36 kế nhân hòa
  • Mối Chúa
  • Lecture Notes on Mathematical Olympiad Courses:For Junior SectionVolume 1 (Mathematical Olympiad Series Book 6)
  • Vô Cùng Tàn Nhẫn Vô Cùng Yêu Thương
  • Body Language
  • Thị dân
  • Selvi Boylum Al Yazmalım
  • ගුරු ගීතය
  • The North China Lover
Tony Buzan was an author and educational consultant. He was a proponent of the techniques of Mind Mapping and mental literacy. He worked with: corporate entities and businesses all over the world; academics; Olympic athletes; children of all ages; governments; and high profile individuals, in teaching them how to maximize the use of their brain power.

Buzan was born in London, was an alumnus of Kit

News & Interviews

“Definition is the companion of clarity; clarity is the guide to your goals.” 7 likes