Start by marking “The Year of Jubilo” as Want to Read:
The Year of Jubilo

The Year of Jubilo (Lucinda Wyman #2)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
After her father dies, fourteen-year-old Lucinda and her family struggle to make a new life in a small town on the coast of Maine where they once spent their summer holidays.
Published March 1st 1970 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Year of Jubilo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year of Jubilo

Annette
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I give this book 4.5 stars. This is the sequel to Roller Skates which won the Newbery sometime in the 1930's. This book is SO much better than it's predecessor! When I read Roller Skates I was disappointed because it was hard to believe that it was written by the same person who wrote Maggie Rose: her Birthday Christmas (which I love) but with this book it was easy to see that the person who was inspired to write a book as beautiful as Maggie Rose could also write The Year of Jubilo.

This book i
Maureen E
Oct 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
We revisit Lucinda from Roller Skates, several years older and suffering from the recent loss of her father. This has a very different feel from Roller Skates. Older and less exuberant. But Lucinda is still Lucinda and it’s a beautiful book. [Oct. 2008]
Heather
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The premise of this lovely sequel to Roller Skates reminded me of part of the plot of Louisa May Alcott's Old Fashioned Girl, where an upper middle class family falls on hard times and needs to live creatively for a season to get their heads above water again. I love the setting of the rural Maine community, and the change from the streets of New York City as a ten year old Lucinda roaming about making friends on roller skates as a temporary orphan, to a 14 year old Lucinda learning to get along ...more
Anna
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
"I think friendship needs to be written about. It is a solemn and a lovely thing, and I think it deserves a lovely service said over it like marriage. That would keep you from accumulating too many friends of the kind that never really belong."
Deena
Mar 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
I didn't care much for Roller Skates, but I liked this a lot.
Wendy
Sep 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Wendy by: Melody Murray
I missed New York, and Lucinda being totally crazy; but as a book, I liked this better than Roller Skates.
Fran Caparrelli
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Every sentence is a feast of words - gives a new perspective on the Civil War and the aftermath in the everyday lives of those who survived.
Melinda
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a clean, refreshing story of family togetherness. It wasn't a "gripping" story, but was very well written. I found myself wanting to underline sentences and phrases constantly.
Kate
  • The Golden Name Day
  • Freddy and the Bean Home News
  • The Lively Lady
  • The Young Manhood of Studs Lonigan
  • Betsy's Busy Summer (Betsy, #7)
  • Cornelli
  • Arts and Ideas
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)
  • No Such Thing as a Witch
  • Mystery of the Witches' Bridge
  • The Mousewife
  • New Chronicles of Rebecca
  • Good Times/Bad Times
  • The Children on the Top Floor
  • The Giaour: A Fragment of a Turkish Tale
  • A Room Made of Windows
Ruth Sawyer, was an American storyteller and a writer of fiction and non-fiction for children and adults. She may be best known as the author of Roller Skates, which won the 1937 Newbery Medal.
More about Ruth Sawyer...

Lucinda Wyman (2 books)