Start by marking “Jaclyn the Ripper” as Want to Read:
Jaclyn the Ripper

Jaclyn the Ripper

3.2  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In Time After Time, H.G. Wells used his time machine to chase after Jack the Ripper who was on a killing spree in 1979 San Francisco. After H.G. met Amy Catherine Robbins, the love of his life, and banished the serial killer to the indefinite future, H.G. and Amy returned to 1893 London, believing they could live happily ever after.

But that wasn't the end of the story. In
Published November 10th 2009 by Forge Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Jaclyn the Ripper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jaclyn the Ripper

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
I must say I went into this book without high hopes,seeing other readers ratings. But because I enjoyed Time After Time so much ,I just had to find out "what happened after" when I saw there was a sequel.In the first book,we had Jack desperate to escape with Scotland yard not far at his heels,and he steals H.G.Wells time machine,he then starts on a whole new killing spree in 1979,until Wells tracks him down and sent him to the end of time.Wells also found love,and brought Amy Robbins back home t ...more
Phylicia
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are details in the book that I guess you could call "spoilers." I don't think it is interesting.

Anyway, I LOVE the book except I do not think it is realistic near the end of the book for H.G. Wells to ride a motorcycle as if he is Evel Knievel or something. At least the crashing part was realistic.

I'm not saying why I am bummed about the ending, but if you read it, you will know why.
Jordan Buchanan
Took me back to the original "Time After Time" Novel and the movie that I loved. Got to meet David Warner and Malcolm McDowell a few years ago. They were very entertaining. Clearly they had worked together a long time and enjoyed making this film so many years ago. I look forward to the new TV series starting this month. I also hope for another book but that will be up to Mr. Alexander I am sure.
Robert 'Rev. Bob'

While I've read the book, I always think of Time After Time in terms of the movie. It's one of my enduring favorites, and three decades later I still think of the fast-food place with the golden arches as "McDougal's."

So, imagine my delight at the news of a sequel. Jaclyn takes place thirty-one years later (or thirteen, depending on how you count), when a 1906 prediction of disaster sends Amy rushing back home to warn her family. Unfortunately, the trip has the side effects of reconstituting Jac

Frank
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Enjoyable sequel to Time After Time. In this one, H.G. Wells must follow his wife Amy back to the year 2010 after she decides that she must go there to warn her parents of a potential earthquake in that year. Her parents have moved from San Francisco to Beverly Hills and the time machine just happens to be in Los Angeles on exhibit. But when Amy traveled to 2010, she inadvertently went to infinity first and this enabled Jack the Ripper to return as well. However, Jack has been transformed into a ...more
Jafar
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I finished 'Time After Time' and discovered their was a sequel, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. 'Jaclyn The Ripper' did not disappoint at all and was equally enjoyable if not more enjoyable than it prequel.

Jack The Ripper manages to escape from the infinitey Wells sends him to at the end of the previous book but this time as a woman. This time he ends up in LA in 2010 and as usual doesn't waste time building a portfolio of dead bodies. Wells realizes this and too travels to the LA to
Richard
Sep 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-12
I saw Time After Time (and read the book) when I was 13. And although I saw some corniness in it even then, I still really enjoyed the hell out of it. I mean, c'mon, H.G. Wells chases Jack the Ripper through 70's San Fran! That's fun stuff.

Unfortunately, Jaclyn is a silly mess. The (few) parts that kind of work are recycled from the first story, and the rest of it is sexist and just odd, psychologically. Not good-odd, more like wondering-what-kind-of-issues-Karl-Alexander-has-odd.

I think one's t
Trin
Jun 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Okay, sometimes this thing were I get a lot of free books through my work can be both a blessing and a curse. Because often, something like this will fall into my lap totally gratis, and while I would never actually buy it, when I haven't paid I'm all, “Haha, omg: it's time travel genderfuck RPF! This I have to read! It's gonna be hilarious!”

Um, no, it's not. It will be misogynistic and gross, though. *time travels, switches sex, and pats past!self on the head* Have fun, kid.
Cynthia Fry
First suggestion, don't put the summary of the first novel on the flap cover of the second. I picked this up thinking it was the first and finding it a sequel. I will have to pick up the first now to read the story I thought I would be reading.

I did not like how one of the female protaganists changed character abruptly about a third of the way into the book. His only truly strong female character was the killer. I feel that I had missed something by not reading the first.

Although I did not hate
Christine
Feb 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
Mr. Alexander wrote the original TIME AFTER TIME made into the movie about H.G. Wells and Jack the Ripper traveling through time to late 1970’s Los Angeles. In this sequel the chase through time is on again thirty years later, but with a twist. Jack the Ripper has materialized out of the time machine as a woman. It was an okay read but was basically a rehash of the original with a gender twist.
Leo
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read Karl Alexander's TIME AFTER TIME, you may have seen the movie: H.G. Wells pursues Jack the Ripper into 20th Century San Francisco (w/ Malcolm McDowellm David Warner, and Mary Steenburgen), both charming works. Was the sequel necessary: Jack the Ripper turns into a woman and resumes terrorizing the 20th Century. It's a pleasant enough book, it won't insult your intelligence but the original is better.
Tony
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deserving sequel to one of my favourite novels, Time After Time. If you can swallow the somewhat mad concept of Jack the Ripper returning from infinity as a woman, you may be swept up by Karl Alexander's balance of neo-Gothic, cod-Edwardian romance and chase thriller, with a hint of steampunk science-fiction lurking beneath. It does tread similar beats to its predecessor, and does jump around a touch narratively, but it's a fun story well told, and nicely updated with a modern sheen.
Vex
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in the local library and read it not knowing that there was a prequel (Time After Time).

Actually found this book to be quite a fun ride - sometimes it was a little "hokey", but overall a great read for anyone looking for a splash into the past. I'd really like to actually read the first book of this story.
Michelle
Aug 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get all the way through this book, and eventually just gave up. It's not that it isn't good, really, but it just never grabbed my attention, and life is too short to read books that don't grab a hold of me and refuse to let go.
James
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent, pacy sequel to the 1979 book and movie "Time After Time".
Mike B
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the ending was too clean and simple, so much time building the story to have it end so quickly, no meat to the novel.
Karmen
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great premise but disappointed by execution.
Justinia
Mar 03, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't go on after the second or third chapter. Conceivably it gets better, but I wasn't willing to risk it.
Neal W
Nov 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept. Sort of worked for me but nothing earth shattering. Kind of an overly violent book IMO
Chynna