Start by marking “Special Forces - Mercenaries Part II (Special Forces, #2 part 2)” as Want to Read:
Special Forces - Mercenaries Part II (Special Forces, #2 part 2)

Read Book

Special Forces - Mercenaries Part II

(Special Forces #2 part 2)

Special Forces is the story of a Scottish SAS soldier and a Soviet spetsnaz soldier. Two enemies who meet in the line of duty during the early days of the Soviet Union's last war in Afghanistan. Behind enemy lines respect and finally love grow ... but that's only the official version. This epic spans across over twenty-five years of their lives. It's harsh and violent, but ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 565 pages
Published March 25th 2010 by Camouflage Press

Start your review of Special Forces - Mercenaries Part II (Special Forces, #2 part 2)
Judith
4.5 Stars.

BR with my lovely Andrea.

I've never read a book before when I hated two prominent characters so much but rated it highly.To be fair I've got a love/hate thing going on with Dan but it's definitely a hate thing with Jean.

4.5 Stars.

BR with my lovely Andrea.

I've put this review in a spoiler because I know it's been around for ages and lots of reviews have touched on what happens but I really don't want to give too much away to anyone who's considering reading this series.

(view spoiler)

Review Rant over but I absolutely LOVE this series!!
Blacky *Romance Addict*
“I love you.” Murmured when his left cheek touched Vadim's. “Whatever happens.” His right touched, and then his left again. “I'll always love you.”

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I think this is the longest I've read a book. And I kinda hate that, cause I have absolutely no clue what I've read for the past few days right now, only the last chapter is in my mind, and now I have to write a review? Photobucket

Ok I'll try to keep this short, and just do the characters, without the story. I know, now you're thinking, why not tell us the stor
Jan
Upgrading my rate to 5 Stars 21/02/2019

Don't even peek at this if you haven't read this series.
You'll need therapy.

I more or less had in mind this was an emotionally "minefield". Therefore, I decided to embrace this series open-minded, navigating through this open sea of possibilities with an open heart, willing to be part of Vadim and Dan's journey following the twisted direction the authors have taken in bookclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Don't
Susan
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I will start this review with 3 words:

I HATE DAN.

I find him to be selfish, simple-minded, inconsiderate, and he hurts my heart over and over again...

Now, despite all those reasons, I am CONFLICTED about him. When he’s vulnerable, when he’s not “Mad Dog”, when he loves and cherishes Vadim…I want to like him…and gosh darnit, I sometimes do. Damn you, Dan.

Now, on with the review:

I had a hard time with Mercenaries Part 2. It felt like one long orgy an
Julio Genao
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Frustrating.

When it's good, it's bloody brilliant. There's some lovely symmetry in character development between the various menz, a thrilling sequence in the Balkans, loads of sex... and a good 300 pages of people talking about how they feel.

Mercs I and II, taken as a whole: flawed.

Some really exciting and suspenseful set pieces and riveting character work, but the story is ultimately undermined by the conspicuous absence of the restraint that made Soldiers s
Nick Pageant
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This review is for both parts of Mercenaries.

There is a five star book in these thousand or so pages, but that five star book is only about 300 pages long. I love the story of Dan and Vadim, it really is what everyone says - Epic. What is not epic for me are the hundreds and hundreds of pages of violent sex that give me the heebie jeebies.

Aside from the endless sex scenes, this is another great book. It was exciting, frustrating, and I loved it. I'm looking forward to the
Mel
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Vadim wanted to move away and keep touching Dan, wanted to claw into him, wanted to be held, wanted to break his neck and just rest his head against his shoulder."

Mercenaries Part II is the third book in the Special Forces saga about ex SAS soldier Dan McFadyen and ex Spetznaz Vadim Krasnorada. An epic love story which mixes violence, lust, torture, love, heart ache and friendship, as the quote above beautifully underlines.

The Special Forces series makes for a truly exhilarating reading experience. I
Rachel
May 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, free-always, war
Remember Lindsay Lohan around the time she was in Mean Girls? She was the new, pretty girl you rooted for, maybe even wanted to be, couldn’t wait to see what she would do next, because there was no doubt in your mind it would be successful. Then a few years later she was snorting coke, dating Samantha Ronson and getting fired from movie sets. And even though you could see where her downward spiral was heading, you just couldn’t look away, because you still could see Cady from Mean Girls in her and you clut ...more
Martin
It took me 10 months to read this book. 10 months! I had to read lots and lots of *normal* m/m romances in between just to stomach the rest of this story. There were times when I wanted to just forget about the whole story completely, but Dan and Vadim are certainly the most intense couple in m/m romance (although, let's be honest, ever since 'Soldiers' their books have changed towards m/m erotica. It *is* exceptional erotic fiction - the bachelor party at Jean's wedding, OMG - but for a romanti ...more
LenaRibka

Well...

I would like to go back and to re-write my review of Mercenaries Part I, because I was too busy with my fears about the next part than with my thoughts and emotions of the Part I.

How stupid I was!

I LOVE Mercenaries Part II MAYBE EVEN MORE THAN THE FIRST PART!

It was....far beyond all my expectations...
And they were very high...

Shelley
* If you haven't read Mercs1 please turn back, don't read on, this will contain mild spoilers for you*

What do I think? Well? That's the question isn't it? But I don't have a clue, no, not really. This has kept me awake at night, not just to read, but to ponder. Oh good God, have I pondered, worried, obsessed and debated this book in my head to the point of near insanity. I feel shattered, hopeless, defeated and slightly screwy.
Photobucket

But, and I have to apologise in advance for all the 'buts' to follow,but I
Camilla
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, pdf

Ok, lets do this..

Book 3 in the Special Forces series..

And I’ve actually had a day to calm down, so I doubt there will be as many curse words in this, like there has been in the first 2 reviews. I wrote those, 2 minutes after finishing the books, so all my emotions and stress went into them.. I couldn’t do that this time though, because the second I finished book 3? I started reading book 4, but more on that in another review..

Book 3.. Shit! (Ok, sorry, appare
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
Four "Is this the same series?" stars!

photo imagejpg1_zps3a14ccf1.jpg

Well, I still really liked this installment but I have to admit I often felt 1). Lost and 2). Annoyed. I read the free PDF versions that are generously provided on Mr. Voinov's website. From the ending of Mercenaries 1 to the start of this one, I feel I lost a huge chunk of "happenings." In fact, I know I did as there was references in this book to events in the last book that I didn't read. So that, in a nutshell, confused me. Secondly, I feel like this
Steph
Ok, so I made it through the third instalment unscathed.
I still loved this book, don't get me wrong, but I will admit that it was my least favourite. I'll try to explain without ranting but I might not succeed. LOL

*****Spoilers ahead, so only read this review if you have read the book*****

I will start by talking about something I loved about this book, and that was Duncan. I adored the way he was shocked, couldn't believe the things he was hearing, but silently a
Joy
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Many of my GR friends are prolific writers in their own right. Their reviews are sometimes more entertaining than the book in review. My point is there are so many great reviews on this series that I say just read their reviews and enjoy---the fighting in the Balkins is so damn intense that I had to stop reading to cry. Merc II is a wonderful continuation of this series but can I please bitchslap Vadim and Dan and tell them to talk to each other??
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Laura by: Christina
”I just won’t let this place kill me. Whatever it takes.”

People are made up of so many different pieces that somehow come together to make us individuals. Family, friends, love, home, work, nationality, culture, lust, sexuality, passion, and strength—it all forms and adds to who we are in life. But what really keeps us going from day to day? What keeps you alive? What happens when we lose pieces of ourselves along the way? Pieces lost or taken? Can we change, adapt, and form something or someo
Isabel
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another magnificent book of this series, though I must say that I was able keep my feelings more stable than on the previous one. And that happened mostly because of the too much sex, too much partners... on the first part of the book. I understand Dan and Vadim's need, specially Dan, but I would be more pleased if there were more devotion for each other...

photo b2a57146-7789-4f3e-8f41-805af668e538_zpsd93ed776.jpg

I want so much that they find happiness and peace, together. I would like to not hear more about Jean or Hooch, I would like to feel that
Katerina
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I almost didn't think I ever would deal with this book ... puhhhh ...

And it leaves me really ambivalent.

There were large parts that were exciting and have spun out the story of Dan and Vadim on and on.
And then there were these droughts. I speak of these ultra-long bed encounters. With variable other players.
Oh boy ... so in the middle of this book I was really bored. And I almost did not read further ... if I had not known that the story actually goes further
Boycop
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dan's and Vadim's adventures in war and peace continues

In Mercs II, Dan and Vadim tries to get their mutual life in order for their ever nearing retirement, but of course nothing happens the easy way. Again the story alternates between frustrating relationship events, hot rescue and covert plots and even hotter sex scenes. The sex scenes are mostly kept fresh with the help of their common and new "mates". Especially, the hard and rough play between Hooch and Vadim kept my interest up
Em
Read in November 2012
The intensity continues with this book, and what a place for it to end! I don't know if it's the fact that there is only Veterans to go, and I'm worried all the mess won't get sorted out before it ends, but for some reason this book hit me really hard. Not the first part, all the sex in various places, with various partners, but the last section.

(view spoiler) ...more
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
“What a fucked up love-affair of violence we are”

In terms of angst I actually found Mercenaries II a much easier read than what came before. Now don’t get me wrong. Dan and Vadim still manage to hurt each other in many different ways but throughout whatever ordeal they encounter in this cycle you don’t get the overwhelming sense that all is lost like has happened previously. Finally they have stopped running from each other and even though they still have no idea how to communicate they stick around.
Sheziss
***DNF 44%***

I think it's about time I DNF this.

After coming back from the holidays in the beach in that faraway country, which I touched and felt the definition of 'perfect', they come back to the Middle East to have adventures.

Which spoiled it all.

It means sex. With each other, yes. But mostly with other people. If you don't like open relationships, don't read this book. I think I can consider myself a person with an open mind as long as the author really convinces me in the book. But here they go too far.

I ended up tired of the situation.

Because
Helle
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
This was pretty much out of sight and out of mind..

That is, until I saw the initials "SF". Just those two letters. I think this shows the extent of the psychological mindfucking that occurred in the last two books. I believe an alternate term would be trauma. Thoughts of reading this maybe maybe not will haunt me for a while. Sigh.

----------------------------------------------------------

It has taken me two months after reading this book to finally get around
Vicki
3 STARS
To say this installment was a disappointment to me would be an understatement. I feel like all of the depth, growth and intimacy that had been forged between these two characters in Soldiers has become greatly diminished to the point where I wish the Author’s would have left it with just the first book and ended it with a HEA instead of the cliffhanger. Let me elaborate:

(view spoiler) ...more
Kaje Harper
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story still has me trapped, enthralled, and generally neglecting real life to pursue it.

This installment is a little less focused than the first two. Some of the sex, although still scorching, feels gratuitous, especially when it doesn't involve either MC. Even some that does involve Vadim and/or Dan is not revealing in any plot sense. There are also moments here and there when the language usage doesn't sound like a native English speaker. But that doesn't keep this from being
Marina
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Marina by: lenore
Shelves: military, 2011
Spoilers following be warned).

What can I say about this book? I really don't know what to review.....

I hated most part of this book (that’s why it took me so long to finish it) and I hated Dan very much. I found flaws in his every step. He was selfish, he was greedy, he was a total hypocrite (God I still feel so angry with him).

I still cannot understand what draws him in all those men (Jean, Matt, Hooch, Beauvais and later on Dima, Markus) I do not under
Christina
*******Review contains spoilers*******

Mercenaries II, is the next great installment of the epic story Special Forces which continues the journey of Vadim and Dan. Here we see Vadim and Dan fighting the war in the Balkans, visiting friends and family while still trying to deal with their pasts.

The emotional roller coaster ride continues. The story definitely had my heart racing. I love the beginning in Scotland. It was so touching to see how Dan begins to get his family back.

The fighting in th
Anne
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Deliverance: Hooch and Matt's Story
  • The Interludes (In the Company of Shadows, #3)
  • Afterimage (In the Company of Shadows, #2)
  • Fade (In the Company of Shadows, #4)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Call the Coroner
  • Mind Fuck (The Administration, #1)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • Auctioned (8392, #1)
  • Fit to be Tied (Marshals, #2)
  • Love is a Stranger (More Heat Than the Sun, #1)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • Stranded (8392, #2)
  • Evenfall (In the Company of Shadows, #1)
  • Ball & Chain (Cut & Run, #8)
  • Hush
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)

Special Forces (4 books)
  • Special Forces - Soldiers (Special Forces, #1)
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I (Special Forces, #2 part 1)
  • Special Forces - Veterans (Special Forces, #3)
“Let me live. Keep me alive. Both sentences so close in English, but very different meaning.” 30 likes
“I think it sometimes takes me a while, but I end up making good decisions at some point. Pretty much when I have exhausted all other options.” 22 likes