Start by marking “If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now” as Want to Read:
If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now

If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now

From the well-loved author of Knitting Under the Influence and The Smart One and the Pretty One comes a new novel about a young single mother trying to move out of her family's shadow.

Rickie left home a long time ago-so how is it that at the age of twenty-five, she's living with her parents again, and sleeping in the bedroom of her childhood home?

At least one thing has
Published September 27th 2010 by 5 Spot (first published September 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now

Start your review of If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now
Katie Kenig
Sep 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chicklit
I wanted to like this book more than I did, but I found it very difficult to relate to the main character. The title and the cover were what grabbed me, and - to be honest - if I'd read the blurb or the beginning of the book I probably wouldn't have chosen it.

Rickie is a 25-year-old single mom, living at home with her wealthy parents while raising her son Noah. She struggles with the fact that her parents provide her with everything she could want, including clothing, support, and free
Laurel-Rain
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rickie Allen, twenty-five year old single mother to Noah, age six, seems like someone you could root for. At first glance, you can feel sympathy for her situation, living at home with her parents and locking horns constantly with what appears to be an over-controlling mother, Laurel.

Her half-sister Melanie, newly separated from husband Gabriel, has two children, and occasionally stays at the family home, too. But she gets along great with her stepmother, Laurel.

Rickie’s first person narrative
Sandy  Kemp
Apr 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Can't begin to express how much I disliked the main character. She is a rebel without a clue, self destructive, immature, selfish and generally a monstrous brat. And the parenting skills displayed all around are pretty abysmal. There are no consequences for anything from her parents, who seem to have zero expectations of her. She is 25, with a 7 yr old, no job, not going to school - and her parents are enabling this. They are completely supportive (too supportive in my opinion). She is reactive ...more
Lisa M.
Jun 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Chick-lit fans who hate their mothers
Recommended to Lisa M. by: ARC from Book Expo America
I want to preface this by saying I really liked both of Claire LaZebnik's previous novels: Knitting Under the Influence and The Smart One and The Pretty One. I wish I liked this one half as much.

In all fairness, I read an ARC, so maybe some of the problems will be fixed by the time the book drops.

The set-up:

At least one thing has
Jennifer Comeaux
I've tried a couple of this author's books recently, and I don't think her characters are a good fit for me. I wasn't a fan of the main characters in this book, just as I wasn't in her YA book that I read, Things I Should Have Known. The mom and the little boy in this one were both a little too whiny for me, and the love interest didn't impress me with the way he handled his relationships. The story in the YA book was much stronger. I thought this one kind of muddled along without enough action.
Cheryl
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am not really sure how I came across this book- but I am glad I did. It is just the type of book i like. Characters who are disfunctional enough to be real.. It is a quick easy read about relationships that are some what complicated.
M
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Yes, this book is as dumb as it looks, but you know what? I could not get through three pages of so called literary (read: pretentious and overwritten) Elegance of the Hedgehog and the what did my sister see in THIS one Family Album, whereas this here novel took me about five minutes to read. So while that begs all sorts of questions of what makes a good book/a good read, I still think there's what to be said for that.
IYLHYBHBN, aside from being a reaaaallly long title, is everything a bad
Stephanie
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
First things first: I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK!

Smart-ass, single, tattooed, 25 year old Rickie never thought she’d still be living at home with her parents, in her old bedroom, but she is. She doesn’t have a job or a college degree, her mom still drives her nuts, and now, she has a first grade son, Noah, with a whole slew of problems, both medically and emotionally. She loves him to death, but he is a handful to deal with, as is her controlling mother, who Rickie rarely feels a connection with. Throw
Heidi Brydon
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, but in the interests of full disclosure, let me say that I have read all of this author's novels, and my mother has a copy of her amazing non-fiction book "Overcoming Autism," which was given to her when my brother was diagnosed.

The fact that this author writes incredibly popular, funny, romantic fiction AND co-authors bestselling non-fiction on such a complicated topic gives you an idea of what an amazing writer she is.

"If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now," is her latest,
Moon Love
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd book by Claire LaZebnik that I've read and I've loved it every bit as much as the first one.

I loved Rickie. Her dialogues were great. I loved her one line zingers. I loved her relationship with her step-sister Melanie. Rickie's relationship with her mother on the other hand in not so great. She tends to take out her frustrations with everything in her life out on her mom. Noah was really cute. Having an autoimmune disease is not easy on the person who has it, and not for their
Alexa
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was my little tonic, my little palate cleanser - the break I took from reading a tragic, disturbing memoir about a mother and a son who disappears into psychosis - I just had to take a break and I grabbed the frothiest looking book I could find on my bookshelf.

I've read LaZebnik's other two books, also frothy chick lit, and I think she's getting better as an author. I enjoyed this the most of the three. I didn't find (as some of the other reviewers felt) that the lead character was
Leonel
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I confess I started reading this book because I liked the title: "If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home By Now." Plus, I liked a previous novel of Claire Lazebnik. This is a story of a young mother raising her child while also living at her parent's house. And...there really is nothing else happening. i must confess I found the book very slow and once things started to happen, the book was already ending. But, Lazebnik is good at giving her characters very distinct voices, and even if the main ...more
Teryl
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wasn't going into this book with high expectations, so I was so happy that it hooked me in. Many people (other reviews) thought that Rickie was selfish. Yes and No on that one. Part of the reason for the way she acted was that she lived at home with her son, Noah, and her parents didn't make her get out and get a job. Yes she took care of Noah, but that was about it. She didn't really have any asperations to move out or do anything.

She did grow and that is the whole point of the book. She
Vicki Jaeger
Mar 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: someone wanting an adult fiction version of Twilight angst
Recommended to Vicki by: advance reading copy
So the front cover included a review of her last book as a "good rolicking romp," or something like that. Let me tell you, that really didn't apply to this one for me.
The protagonist is a 20-ish single mother living with her parents, not very sure of who she is or where she is going. It's kind of an adult version of the young adult novel: she's perpetually unhappy and rebelling against everyone's attempts to help, complement, or improve her life situation. Waaaaay too much angst to really be
Amy
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just really liked this novel. Exactly what I like to read in "chick lit." Light and very funny, but messages are laced throughout and there are several poignant moments. Love Rickie's sarcasm and dry sense of humor - an honest and refreshing take on being a mom. This is my first book by this author and I am looking forward to reading the others she has written!
Leann
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. You like and care about all the characters. I read this in 2 days because I wanted to know what happened!
Tricia Nociti
Nov 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was able to finish it (stuck working the night shift and had nothing else to read). I really disliked almost everything about it. The characters were unrealistic and their stories were completely unbelievable. Not only did I not like or care about any of them, the entire read was predictable from the first page. It required no thought and no effort to read. A total dud.

Rickie is a single mom who chose to get pregnant during her freshman year of college, dropped out, moved home, didn't find a
Jill
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kiki
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Though a predictable romance, I still kept reading. Though the main character lacked accountability and was hard to like for most of the book, I still kept reading. Though after reading The Ever After by Sarah Pekkanen, storylines involving cheating spouses stress me out, I still kept reading (this storyline was revealed early on so it's not really a spoiler). There must have been something about this book that kept me engaged. I can't figure quite what it was, but it was enough for me to finish ...more
Emily Ward
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5. I bought this book because I liked the cover. But from the first page I knew I was not going to love it. The character needed to grow a lot and I could tell she was not going to. The supporting characters I very much liked though
Torimac
Mar 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF! Aughhh. Can’t get interested in protagonists challenges. IRL I’d wonder if her self-isolation came from a chemical (organic) depression or if she just never felt included in her parents relationship.
Annie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
yaaaaaa i wasn’t that keen on the heroine and kept feeling bad for her mother lmao
Virna
Feb 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
While I’m the person that will always give books a chance, I just couldn’t subject myself to any more torture with this one.
Kristyn
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just couldn't put it down. It was very easy read that ķept me interested.
Teal
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
The title made no sense, first of all...pretty poor chick-lit overall. Flat characters, predictable story, boring protagonist.
Diane
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun book on a rainy Saturday.
Jessica Lawlor
Oct 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Twenty-five year old Rickie’s life is definitely not what she expected it to be. After having a baby six years earlier, Rickie dropped out of college and moved back in with her parents to take care of her son Noah. With streaks of color in her hair and tattoos all over her body, Rickie attempts to rebel even though her family wishes she would grow up.

When Noah begins having problems at school, complaining that a certain gym teacher has been making life tough for him, Rickie marches to school to
Joy Raley
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
easy read but fairly predictable.
Shonda
Jul 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Rickie is a young, single mom to six-year-old Noah. Noah is shy and extremely self-conscious. He’s constantly picked on by his classmates for being “different” (he has food allergies) and tends to stay to himself. Rickie tries hard to be a good mother to him, but often appears to be distracted. She’s aware of Noah’s lack of friends (she really doesn’t have any either) and the teasing he endures at school. So when Noah comes home and spins his side of the story about what went down in gym class, ...more
Tyrone Swanson
May 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now 1 4 May 22, 2012 12:33PM

• The Opposite of Me
  • One True Theory of Love
  • My Love, My Love, or The Peasant Girl
  • The Two Week Wait
  • The Memory Thief
  • Sounds Like Crazy
  • The Other Family
  • The Blind Date Diaries
  • Deviant King (Royal Elite, #1)
  • At Peace (The 'Burg, #2)
  • Faking Under the Mistletoe
  • Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
  • A Reliable Wife
  • The Weight of Silence
  • I Love You Better
  • Everything Girl
  • Shortcake
  • Beautiful Redemption (Caster Chronicles, #4)
Please check out THINGS I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, now available in bookstores and online.

"LaZebnik hits it out of the park with her story about pretty, popular Chloe and her loving relationship with her older, autistic sister, Ivy." BOOKLIST (starred review)

"Writing with honesty and wit, LaZebnik offers a thought-provoking portrayal of how people can come together despite, or perhaps because of, their