Start by marking “Glad Monster, Sad Monster” as Want to Read:
Glad Monster, Sad Monster

Glad Monster, Sad Monster

Glad, sad, silly, mad - monsters have all kinds of different feelings! In this innovative die-cut book, featuring a snazzy foil cover, you'll try on funny masks as you walk through the wide range of moods all little monsters (and kids!) experience.

Here's a fun, interactive way to explore the many different ways we feel!

Caldecott Medal-winning author/artist Ed Emberley pr
Published September 1st 1997 by LB Kids (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Glad Monster, Sad Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glad Monster, Sad Monster

Start your review of Glad Monster, Sad Monster
Sarah Sammis
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2009
Glad Monster, Sad Monster by Anne Miranda and illustrated by Ed Emberley teaches about emotions and the things that can trigger them through this colorful and interactive book. Each page has a color coded monster (often times in a color associated with a given emotion) who is feeling a certain way. To add some silliness into the reading experience, each monster page also has a mask for either the child or the parent to try on and act out the emotion.

I personally am not normally keen on these for
Phil
Feb 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Worst children's book ever. No beginning and no end. Also, the "loving" monster is clearly female as if boys cannot show loving traits. Do not waste your money or your time on this book!
Ashley
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book about emotions. I only had two problems with it. First, the copy from the library did not come with the monster masks that you tear out and wear while reading the book. Second, my child is some kind of crazy empath who is perfectly capable of watching any horror movie you throw her way but is completely thrown into a weeping 30 minute tantrum over anything "sad." Our first reading of this book was cut short by the blue sad monster when halfway through his page, Alice's mouth turn ...more
Sophia
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this so much haha but it doesn’t explain feelings or use good examples but it’s fun and bright and the children love the masks.
A Allen
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm using this book, along with other books, to talk about feelings with my class. Although many of the feelings in this book overlap with other books I'm reading, I have to incorporate this book for the "loving" page because the other books don't cover that emotion and that page is so sweet! I also think this is the only book that covers feeling angry when you fall down and peers laugh. This certainly isn't my favorite feelings book though! Although all the other pages say "___ make me feel ___ ...more
Anjanabiswa
Nov 29, 2019 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Summary: Glad Monster, Sad Monster in written by Ed Emberley and Anne Miranda and illustrated by Ed Emberley. This book uses monsters to describe (human) actions that lead to different types of (human) feelings.

Evaluation of the Illustrations and Text: The illustrations are colorful and patterned. The drawings are in blocked shapes and look like simple children's drawings. The text is in different fonts depending on what color the monster on the page is. The text is under each illustration.

Stra
Rebecca Bevacqua
Jun 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
This book sparks conversation about emotions! You can use "Glad Monster, Sad Monster" to target:
- identifying emotions in different contexts
- receptive language skills by pointing to different objects in each scene, noises (thunderstorm, dog, bird)
- expressive language skills by labeling objects within each scene (e.g. flowers, ball, snowman), colors (each monster is a different color)

This book provides a great opportunity for children to make a connection between how the monster feels in the bo
Madeline Volkman
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a kid, I always went to this book when it was time to read. I love this book so much. Children have so many emotions and they don't hide them sometimes. This book is really good because it shows a few emotions and why the monsters feel like the way they do. Also, there are flaps to interact with so that makes the children want to read it more and it gives them a chance to say what makes them happy/sad/angry/silly. I like this book because it allows the kids to be able to express their emotion ...more
Alyssa
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has a special place in my heart. The kids I've worked with have adored it, masks or no masks. And I've loved reading it with them. So much fun! It /is/ easy for kids to treat it more like a toy than a book, so it's not a go-to for me. Markers come and go, but I like to be more careful with books. (I don't currently have a copy I take around actually.) I love a book that pairs well with programs/lessons though and when a mask had broken, I've definitely considered making it a crafting o ...more
Brooklyn
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230
I think it is extremely important to introduce different feelings while kids are young and reinforce them for years to come. Reading this book is a great way to start discussing feelings and healthy ways to deal with them. Kids and adults alike are constantly feeling an array of different emotions. We're sometimes accustomed to hiding them rather than dealing with them, and this book changes that narrative at a young age.
Marlene
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents with young children
Recommended to Marlene by: co-worker
Each monster is a specific color which represents an emotion and talk about things which make them feel that emotion. Each monster has a mask you can remove from the book for children to try on. We chose this book because our students are struggling to be kind to each other. It's truly a matter of not speaking their feelings. Perhaps with a few conversations instigated by the monster masks; we can all learn to get along.
This is definitely my least favorite Ed Emberley book, but it is certainly simple and to the point. It could easily be used in story time to help kids identify different emotions and discuss positive ways to deal with them. The masks are a nice touch, but as a librarian, I worry about them getting lost and future kids being crushed when they check out the book because masks are missing.
Brianna
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 401
Glad Monster, Sad Monster by Anne Miranda teaches about emotions and offers opportunities, via masks (which could be copied and passed out to students), to model these emotions. It's a picture book, but there isn't much plot. It is on the simple side but could be used to help build emotional vocabulary.
Ali Book&Seaglasshunter
An introduction to feelings presented by color coded monsters. The mask aspect is a great idea to allow children to “try on” an emotion which could remove a layer of fear over naming emotions since it’s not quite as personal as naming your own feelings. Overall a good book for young children beginning to put a name on their feelings.
Cheryl
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm guessing that this appeals to some audiences much more than it does to me. But it isn't a patch on the classic Go Away, Big Green Monster! and is much more fragile. ...more
The Brothers
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: emotions, monsters
A variety of monsters describe activities and situations that evoke certain emotions. The reader can then use the corresponding mask and talk about what things make them feel that way.

Illustrations are very boldly colorful.
J
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good. Brightly-colored illustrations against a black backdrop. It's so important for kiddos to explore feelings. I read this with toddlers and had them make similar facial expressions to show the different emotions. It was a hit.
Shari
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Fun interactive book about feelings. It would work better as a read aloud for one child, rather than a whole class.
Beverly
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-monsters
Great for home use, but it probably will not last long in our library.
T
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-read
Amazing book on feelings
Liz Todd
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I just... like.. what about these masks? How does that work with a library book? I really do not like "tear out" features in books.. it just seems wrong and impractical..
Julie
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice picture book for talking about feelings and how different experiences elicit different feelings. The interactive masks are a fun thing as well.
Carly
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute quick read about emotions. Kids love the monster masks in it!
Colorado Buck
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-picture
was not impressed with this ed emberley book - i love his other stuff. don't think i'd use it for storytime. too many words? or something?
Kama
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informational Nonfiction
Grade level: K-1

This book is a fun way to learn about emotions and how to express them. It would be great for students who struggle with talking about their emotions, or students who only express two emotions (happy and angry). Having flaps on each page grabs the attention from students because they get to interact with the book, and are more likely to enjoy it.
Paige Freeman
This book was a great read for descriptive words for writing or talking about feelings. This book has great pictures that a child can really relate to and offers an actual mask that the child can wear to help them describe how they're feeling. I was drawn to this book because of the bright colors and defined drawings. I also liked the font that was used on the color and thought it was very inviting and fun. I thought the most impressionable part of this book was when it was describing what "lovi ...more
Eva Leger
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
This is the first Ed Emberley book we've looked at/read besides his drawing how-to books. Julia got a kick out of this because of the masks. That was about it. The monsters are fun to look at, very bright and the pull out pages will be a hit with any lift-the-flap lover. Besides that though, it kind of falls flat.
I saw it suggested that it be used in therapy and I suppose it could be used with some good results with very young kids. My daughter is 5 and isn't in therapy. We found this at the li
Dolly
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, monsters, 2010
We loved the author's book, Go Away, Big Green Monster and so we eagerly read this one when our daughter found it at her school library. It's another really fun book, with an opportunity for kids (and parents) to put on each mask and pretend to be each monster. The only reason why it doesn't get four stars is that it can be a little awkward to manipulate the pages and play monster, but it's still fun. And while we were pretending, we would discuss what things make us experience the emotions that ...more
Shauna Passic
We love Ed Emberley's Glad Monster, Sad Monster book. It is a favorite book amongst my children and my Art Students. My children love trying out the different masks that are built into the pages of the books and talking about the different emotions that are discussed. We also loved Anne Miranda's bold an vibrant illustrations she used to illustrate Ed Emberely's book. I used this book to teach my 1st Grade students an art lesson on shapes. You can find my art lesson and a more detailed review of ...more
Marlee
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Both of my children really like this book and find it a lot of fun, mostly because of the masks. However, I think that the feelings could have been described much better than they were. For example, my son and I both thought that storms and what could be hiding under the bed should have been scared or afraid rather than worried. I felt that the emotions could have been explained much better than they were. However, for very young children that are still learning to vocalize emotions, I think thi ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • The Way I Feel
  • The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
  • The Very Busy Spider
  • Edwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct
  • The Little House
  • Square
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
American artist and illustrator, best known for children's picture books.

News & Interviews