Start by marking “Glad Monster, Sad Monster” as Want to Read:
Glad Monster, Sad Monster

Glad Monster, Sad Monster

Glad, sad, silly, mad - monsters have all kinds of different feelings! In this innovative die-cut book, featuring a snazzy foil cover, you'll try on funny masks as you walk through the wide range of moods all little monsters (and kids!) experience.

Here's a fun, interactive way to explore the many different ways we feel!

Caldecott Medal-winning author/artist Ed Emberley pr
Published September 1st 1997 by LB Kids (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Glad Monster, Sad Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glad Monster, Sad Monster

Sarah Sammis
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2009
Glad Monster, Sad Monster by Anne Miranda and illustrated by Ed Emberley teaches about emotions and the things that can trigger them through this colorful and interactive book. Each page has a color coded monster (often times in a color associated with a given emotion) who is feeling a certain way. To add some silliness into the reading experience, each monster page also has a mask for either the child or the parent to try on and act out the emotion.

I personally am not normally keen on these for
Phil
Feb 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Worst children's book ever. No beginning and no end. Also, the "loving" monster is clearly female as if boys cannot show loving traits. Do not waste your money or your time on this book!
Ashley
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book about emotions. I only had two problems with it. First, the copy from the library did not come with the monster masks that you tear out and wear while reading the book. Second, my child is some kind of crazy empath who is perfectly capable of watching any horror movie you throw her way but is completely thrown into a weeping 30 minute tantrum over anything "sad." Our first reading of this book was cut short by the blue sad monster when halfway through his page, Alice's mouth turn ...more
Sophia
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this so much haha but it doesn’t explain feelings or use good examples but it’s fun and bright and the children love the masks.
A Allen
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm using this book, along with other books, to talk about feelings with my class. Although many of the feelings in this book overlap with other books I'm reading, I have to incorporate this book for the "loving" page because the other books don't cover that emotion and that page is so sweet! I also think this is the only book that covers feeling angry when you fall down and peers laugh. This certainly isn't my favorite feelings book though! Although all the other pages say "___ make me feel ___ ...more
Rebecca Bevacqua
Jun 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
This book sparks conversation about emotions! You can use "Glad Monster, Sad Monster" to target:
- identifying emotions in different contexts
- receptive language skills by pointing to different objects in each scene, noises (thunderstorm, dog, bird)
- expressive language skills by labeling objects within each scene (e.g. flowers, ball, snowman), colors (each monster is a different color)

This book provides a great opportunity for children to make a connection between how the monster feels in the bo
Madeline Volkman
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a kid, I always went to this book when it was time to read. I love this book so much. Children have so many emotions and they don't hide them sometimes. This book is really good because it shows a few emotions and why the monsters feel like the way they do. Also, there are flaps to interact with so that makes the children want to read it more and it gives them a chance to say what makes them happy/sad/angry/silly. I like this book because it allows the kids to be able to express their emotion ...more
Brooklyn
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230
I think it is extremely important to introduce different feelings while kids are young and reinforce them for years to come. Reading this book is a great way to start discussing feelings and healthy ways to deal with them. Kids and adults alike are constantly feeling an array of different emotions. We're sometimes accustomed to hiding them rather than dealing with them, and this book changes that narrative at a young age.
This is definitely my least favorite Ed Emberley book, but it is certainly simple and to the point. It could easily be used in story time to help kids identify different emotions and discuss positive ways to deal with them. The masks are a nice touch, but as a librarian, I worry about them getting lost and future kids being crushed when they check out the book because masks are missing.
The Brothers
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: emotions, monsters
A variety of monsters describe activities and situations that evoke certain emotions. The reader can then use the corresponding mask and talk about what things make them feel that way.

Illustrations are very boldly colorful.
Beverly
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-fantasy
Great for home use, but it probably will not last long in our library.
T
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-read
Amazing book on feelings
Carly
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute quick read about emotions. Kids love the monster masks in it!
Julie
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice picture book for talking about feelings and how different experiences elicit different feelings. The interactive masks are a fun thing as well.
Shari
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Fun interactive book about feelings. It would work better as a read aloud for one child, rather than a whole class.
Liz Todd
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I just... like.. what about these masks? How does that work with a library book? I really do not like "tear out" features in books.. it just seems wrong and impractical..
Paige Freeman
This book was a great read for descriptive words for writing or talking about feelings. This book has great pictures that a child can really relate to and offers an actual mask that the child can wear to help them describe how they're feeling. I was drawn to this book because of the bright colors and defined drawings. I also liked the font that was used on the color and thought it was very inviting and fun. I thought the most impressionable part of this book was when it was describing what "lovi ...more
Eva Leger
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
This is the first Ed Emberley book we've looked at/read besides his drawing how-to books. Julia got a kick out of this because of the masks. That was about it. The monsters are fun to look at, very bright and the pull out pages will be a hit with any lift-the-flap lover. Besides that though, it kind of falls flat.
I saw it suggested that it be used in therapy and I suppose it could be used with some good results with very young kids. My daughter is 5 and isn't in therapy. We found this at the li
Samantha Gardner
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this book is a great book to help children understand feelings. On top of that also what makes you feel a certain emotion. It is super cute, colorful and fun! The book has a monster for each feeling and incorporates pictures explaining what happens when the monster feels that way.

I also really liked the use of color, for example the angry monster was red and the sad monster was blue. Another fun aspect is this book is interactive. On each page there is a mask of the monster and you hold
Dolly
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, monsters
We loved the author's book, Go Away, Big Green Monster and so we eagerly read this one when our daughter found it at her school library. It's another really fun book, with an opportunity for kids (and parents) to put on each mask and pretend to be each monster. The only reason why it doesn't get four stars is that it can be a little awkward to manipulate the pages and play monster, but it's still fun. And while we were pretending, we would discuss what things make us experience the emotions that ...more
Shauna Williams
We love Ed Emberley's Glad Monster, Sad Monster book. It is a favorite book amongst my children and my Art Students. My children love trying out the different masks that are built into the pages of the books and talking about the different emotions that are discussed. We also loved Anne Miranda's bold an vibrant illustrations she used to illustrate Ed Emberely's book. I used this book to teach my 1st Grade students an art lesson on shapes. You can find my art lesson and a more detailed review of ...more
Marlee
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Both of my children really like this book and find it a lot of fun, mostly because of the masks. However, I think that the feelings could have been described much better than they were. For example, my son and I both thought that storms and what could be hiding under the bed should have been scared or afraid rather than worried. I felt that the emotions could have been explained much better than they were. However, for very young children that are still learning to vocalize emotions, I think thi ...more
MaKenzie Reiff
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I read this book because a friend recommended it to me. I think this books demonstrates emotions and what they look like to a young audience. At a young age, emotions are hard to understand, and this book creates an understanding. I think this book would be great in a preschool classroom.
Meghan Brennan
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-emotional
Glad Monster, Sad Monster is about monsters that have all different types of feelings! The monsters feel loving, silly, scared, sad, worried, and happy. Each page discusses a different emotion with examples of times when the monsters felt that feeling. This would be a great book to talk about emotions and times when you feel those emotions. I particularly loved that each emotion has a mask that can be taken out of the book for the children to wear as their talk about times they've felt that emot ...more
Tricia and Family
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love Ed Emberley. This is the second monster book of his that our family owns. The books are fun and interactive, great pictures, very expressive. A wonderful book great for talking about feelings. Each little monster is feeling a little different. The monsters explain their feeling and why they feel that way. Each feeling has a fold out mask for the children to hold up to their face. My children love this book! Our family uses sign language and we give this our vote for fun to sign.
Sharon
This text uses different monsters to express various feelings. Each page gives four situations that make that monster feel that emotion. At first glance, there are two scenarios. Then the page flips open to reveal two additional scenarios plus a mask of the expression that monster makes (related to the connected emotion). The mask, while connected to the book, does have eyes and a nose cut out so it can be used as an actual mask to represent that feeling.
Leanne Krausmann
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is great for teaching students emotions in a silly way because the monsters are different. What is really unique about this book is that all of the emotions and monster characters have a mask that the student can wear. This book shows a fun way for students to learn emotions and get involved. It would be helpful for the students to see what others look like when they are wearing the mask, to see what people look like when they are feeling a certain way.
Derek Cooke
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story is about seven different colored monsters each with their own set of feelings. Each of the monsters tells their story using bright pictures on a black background, which makes the pictures stand out more. Each one of the monsters has a fold out mask that the children or adult can use to model the emotion. That feature makes it a pretty cool book.

Michal Hope
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the different feelings and how the monsters describe what makes them feel that particular feeling. The monsters are creatively drawn, as expected from Emberley. My preschooler loves the monsters and this one was no exception.
Melanie
Ed Emberley's distinct style is apparent in his newest installation. Glad Monster, Sad Monster introduces readers to differently colored monsters each of which have an emotion that corresponds to its particular color.

A great book for helping children understand their feelings.
  • Words Are Not for Hurting(Best Behavior)
  • How Are You Peeling?
  • The Way I Feel
  • The Feelings Book
  • Miss Spider's New Car
  • Sometimes I'm Bombaloo
  • When I Feel Angry (The Way I Feel Books)
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • Truckery Rhymes
  • Jeremy Draws a Monster
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7)
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout!
  • Who is the Beast?
  • Jazz Baby
  • Mouse Mess
  • Old Black Fly
  • Ginger
  • Hop Jump
American artist and illustrator, best known for children's picture books.