Start by marking “You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible Of Bodyweight Exercises For Men And Women” as Want to Read:
You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible Of Bodyweight Exercises For Men And Women

You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible Of Bodyweight Exercises For Men And Women

Providing the only exercise equipment anyone will ever need again, this guide presents to the public, for the first time, the most elite Special Operations fitness exercises to fit their schedule and their wallet. Providing the most effective, efficient, inexpensive, and convenient routine for exercise available, this simple program requires no gym or weights—only the ...more
Published by Light of New Orleans Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about You Are Your Own Gym, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Your Own Gym

Start your review of You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible Of Bodyweight Exercises For Men And Women
Vhalros
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book,is, as the name suggests a book describing body weight exercises, and a program to use them to improve ones physical fitness. Many of the exercises actually use some equipment, but they are items one might easily find around the house; books, broom sticks, and other miscellany.

The book starts off with what is a lot of non-sense, disparaging weight training as "non-functional"-- which explains why it made me strong enough to do most of the advanced exercises in the book. While there
Joe Green
I really want to give this book 5-stars, because I think it's probably the most accessible bodyweight calisthenics book out there, but there's a few minor shortcomings that I just can't get over.

The good: There's enough information in here to keep a lot of people busy for a long time... without having to dish out a whole lot of dough for gym memberships or home equipment. For my money, this book also has the best, most accessible, easiest to incorporate bw calisthenic workout routines that I've
Íris
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a strength trainee for almost 6 months now. Before that I was a couch-potato of the worst kind. I work from 8 to 6 in an office (and eventually get up to go take care of something) and when I get home I sit on the couch and watch TV and scroll through Facebook. Until then only my fingers moved in any way.
Then I got a gym membership. I won't lie: I hated the first time, I dreaded the next couple times until I got used to it.
But that gym was unorganized and unsafe: some machines were
Lauren
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bible of bodyweight exercises is right: this book is full of functional movements that you can string together to make one hell of a workout. All of them can be done right in your own home or in your backyard - you don't need a gym or lots of equipment. The few times he does suggest a prop, he shows a household item (phone book, a bottle, or a broom stick). Lauren shares 125 movements (with countless variations possible) to add to your fitness arsenal. The real attraction is that these things ...more
Diem
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good read. Straight forward and I like the soft sell. Lauren would prefer it if you would see things his way but if you choose to be an idiot he's not going to let it ruin his life. I should only read books on fitness written by men. There's no section on how awesome I am and my inner potential. Dudes writing books on fitness don't spend a lot of time on ego-stroking and self-esteem fluffing. I like that.

As the title suggest, Lauren advocates a strength/body building work out that relies on
Michael
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
The exercises here are practically comprehensive and a lot harder than you might think. The program is outstanding, the book is decent, and the author's view of fitness is right on. I definitely recommend it.
Justin
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, exercise
Has countless innovative body weight exercises I haven't seen elsewhere
Wendi Lau
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not sure about the exercises that use a door, seems like a painful accident waiting to happen. Everything else is good to have in a fitness regiment. I would use bodyweight exercises to compliment not substitute for endurance activities.
Amber
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
No gym membership? No problem. This guy says he trained a bunch of serious military dudes using this very program with only bodyweight exercises. Lauren has a lot of interesting ideas for modifications to make any of these exercises easier or harder, and he encourages you to make adjustments according to your preference. He wants you to know that you can exercise anywhere and train intensely any time, weights or no weights, so you don't have to rely on access to a gym just so you can do the same ...more
lisa
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent fitness book written by a Special Operations military trainer based on the principle that form follows function. He defines fitness as the degree to which a person possesses muscular endurance, strength, power, balance, flexibility, coordination, speed, and CV endurance. His premise is that the best way to change your overall health - and your physique - is to focus on the development of these 8 components of fitness. He argues that your body changes in order to give you the required ...more
Toomy
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was on amazon's recommended item list, when I ordered a pull up bar. For me personally, a 30 minutes/day, 4-5 days/week home gym routine is more realistic and achievable than a gym membership.

Before I go any further, I want to make two points clear.
1) If you say you don't want to have a body like his, you are probably lying. You won't get a body like his if you just follow his program. Why? That's for marketing. However, if you follow his program (or other similar ones), you will
David
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book presents a comprehensive exercises that require little or no extra equipment. The author is highly qualified, as a trainer for Special Operations soldiers. I understand why he condemns pure aerobic exercises, but I still don't understand why he hates free-weight exercises so intensely. Perhaps because free-weights require extra equipment, so the convenience factor comes into play.

In any case, the book describes a very comprehensive set of body-weight exercises. And, in case some of the
James
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great no nonsense advice and workouts for anyone that doesn't like to go to the gym or workout with weights. I am incorporating lots of his exercises into my routines this summer.
Jamie
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gym
Before starting this program I had been following barbell/kettle bell routines for years, mostly by Dan John or Pavel.

I enjoyed these and they worked well but I needed to find a plan I could do whilst travelling for a few months and integrate it before I left. I had always viewed barbell work as the ultimate for strength, but this program has since changed my view both of what strength is, and the importance of functional strength. Towards the final few weeks of my gym membership, I started to
Vinh Khang Nguyen
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Please don't go to GYM anymore. Why ? Because you are your own gym :)

Reading this book give me an entire understanding on how my body works. And I have 2 big realizations :

1. When you work out, Cardiovascular workout is very ineffective while Strength training workout is the ultimate. It helps the body to create more muscles, leaner, and stronger in every part of the body, and it lasts the whole lot more time later on after the training. While Cardiovascular only doesn't have a long-lasting
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. As someone new to bodyweight training I loved how he broke the exercises down by muscle group and then gave plenty of variety to choose from. This book is useful for a wide range of fitness levels because he shows you how to make all the exercises easier or harder. He also explains the basic recipe for increasing or decreasing difficulty.

This book empowers you to create your own workouts, at a level that challenges you, wherever you find yourself. You might just cancel your
Sudhakar
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libby
A great step by step book which is easy to read and week wise planner. Starts with common myths in exercising, then diet and nutrition. Continues with exercises that can e done any where anytime without need for equipment and importantly excuses.. Highly recommended to those care about health without spending on fancy gym membership.
starwolvie
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Reminded me of what I can do without hitting the gym. I felt that the exercises would have been better throughout the book rather than just stuck at the end. If you're reading the ebook, I'd suggest something larger than a phone! The formatting for the exercises did not suit a phone - a bunch of text then the associated pictures on the next page.
Alberto
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: selfimprovement
It's a motivational book which helps you discard excuses to do exercise in your free time at home. Persistence is the key word of the book. I'm following the workouts in the book and I really notice the difference.
Ash Tanasiychuk
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
An impressive book packed with exercises that need little or no props. Lauren describes why you should do each exercise and provides modifications whether you're weak in that area or advanced. Well laid out by body section with tons of photos so you can see correct form.
Maja
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Its alright. Theres some great ideas about what and how to work out when you dont have the access to your gym. I was worried about travelling for a week or more and not being able to lift in my gym, but I gotta admit (although the guys a douche), he knows workouts!
Audrey
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple explanations and photos of all of the exercises. I enjoyed learning about his story in the beginning. When he set out to break the underwater record and talked about how he had to keep his body relaxed and not stress because stress took up too much energy. Good thing to always keep in mind.
Mark Walker
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will probably use this book the rest of my mobile days.
Kiran
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great utility for cardio and strength training exercises. A must have for the on-the-go traveler!
Stephen
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
The "progressions" start at a really high level. If you're already really fit, this might fit for you, but if you're like me, and you're not, then this isn't the place to start.
Emin
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reference book.
Dennis
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of inspiration and variations for exercising.
Ariadne
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brings the fundamentals of bodyweight exercise and nutrition in an uncomplicated way. I wanted to have some basic information about these types of exercises and the book brings a good list of them with their variations.
Debra Byrd
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not as well organized as his sequel Body By You, but thankfully less bombastic and includes more basic and advanced exercises.
Josh Wilderson
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Great book like that it focuses on body weight. Would recommend it to everyone. Getting started next week on it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength
  • The Naked Warrior: Master the Secrets of the Super-Strong - Using Bodyweight Exercises Only
  • Strength Training Anatomy
  • The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman
  • C-Mass: Calisthenics Mass: How to Maximize Muscle Growth Using Bodyweight-Only Training
  • The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding: The Bible of Bodybuilding, Fully Updated and Revised
  • Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy
  • Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body
  • Easy Learning German Grammar
  • Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body
  • The Vegetable Gardener's Bible: Discover Ed's High-Yield W-O-R-D System for All North American Gardening Regions
  • Love Letter to America
  • Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess
  • New Rules of Running
  • Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice
  • Economic Calculation in the Socialist Commonwealth
  • The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
  • The Man Versus the State: With Six Essays on Government, Society, and Freedom
“Or give your child a piggyback during leg exercises, or even your girlfriend or your wife (though not both at the same time—that could be trouble).” 1 likes
“Vegetables. Fruits. Nuts. Seeds. Meats. Eggs. Fish. That” 0 likes