Start by marking “New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos” as Want to Read:
New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos

New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos

Original anthology edited and with an introduction by Ramsey Cambell. Collects nine stories including "Crouch End" by Stephen King, and stories by A.A. Attanasio, Basil Cooper, David Drake, T.E.D. Klein, Frank Belknap Long, Brian Lumley, H.P. Lovecraft and Martin S. Warnes.

Contents (view Concise Listing)
ix • Introduction (New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos) • essay by Ramsey
Published January 1st 1980 by Arkham House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos

Start your review of New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
Peter
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Absolutely disturbing collection of Lovecraft orientated short fiction. Highly recommended are Crouch End by Stephen King, The Second Wish by Brian Lumley, Black Man with a Horn by T.E.D. Klein or The Faces at Pine Dunes by Ramsey Campbell. What an eerie selection. If you love Lovecraft and his fascinating lore about The Old Ones this is the right stuff for you. I couldn't stop reading the stories presented here. Every single one of them had new aspects of terror and horror. An extremely uncanny ...more
Vicente Ribes
Buen libro de relatos inspirados en el universo literario que creó el maestro de Providence.
Como toda recopilación de esta índole el libro contiene relatos muy buenos y otros mas flojos.
Solo por el relato Crouch end de Stephen King ya vale la pena. Uno de los mejores relatos de los mitos de Cthulhu que he leido y también uno de los relatos que mas escalofrios me produjo.
King usa las herramientas de Lovecraft y construye un cuento original y terrorífico que me puso los pelos de punta, tal y como
Ignacio Senao f
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buenos autores escribiendo basándose en la creación de Lovecraft. El resultado es estupendo.

Cierto que es irregular, pero es normal que suceda en una recopilación donde King pone su granito, pues pone el listón de un Rey.
Majo's Library.
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Un genero que personalmente tenia un poco dejado de lado.
Obras como ésta, me hacen pensar que vale la pena ahondar en el "Terror Cósmico".
Israel Montoya Baquero
Interesante, aunque algo desigual, compilación de relatos continuadores, o basados de alguna forma, en los Mitos de Cthulhu desarrollados por HP Lovecraft.
Terry Clague
A collection of short stories centred around H.P. Lovecraft - a sort of festschrift I guess. I read only one. The reason for my purchase - Stephen King's "Crouch End." Apparently spooked on a visit to the area (though he didn't get lost looking for Dave Stewart or refused a drink in Banners), perhaps he saw the disused railway line or anticipated the number of artisanal coffee shops customed by automaton guardianistas.
Raechel
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of H.P. Lovecraft
This book is an anthology of Lovecraftian-inspired short stories. I was originally loaned it because one of the featured writers is Stephen King. Some of these stories are awkward, some are kinda racist, some are weird, some drag in a few places, and some are creepy. These are all qualities that can be found in some Lovecraft stories.

I read the hardcover of this book and it's very good quality! The art on the cover is interesting and kind of creepy. The paper is surprisingly sturdy, almost like
Oscar
Publicada originalmente en 1980, ‘Nuevos cuentos de los Mitos de Cthulhu’ es una antología que reúne una serie de autores de una segunda generación, cuyos cuentos se ambientan en el desconocido universo creado que H.P. Lovecraft. Lo que buscaba Ramsey Campbell, el encargado de la edición, eran relatos que se alejaran un tanto de la mediocridad en la que había caído el género en los últimos años. Como suele pasar en este tipo de trabajos, la calidad es bastante irregular. La gran mayoría son ...more
Laini
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
The Cthulu Mythos is a universe created by H.P. Lovecraft and which has been used in many novels, films and even computer games. The main idea in this universe is that there were once a race of deities known as The Old Ones who ruled over the world, however they have been asleep for a long long time. Some of these Gods are still worshipped by cults on Earth, and some don't even dwell on our planet. The theory is that these Old Ones will one day awaken from their sleep and destroy humanity.

With
Emily
3.5 stars. As with most short story anthologies, this was a mixed bag. One thing reading it did for me was to remind me that I adore Brian Lumley's writing. And apparently forests in England are just bloody terrifying - as I learned many years ago from reading Robert Holdstock. One thing that really bothered me about many of the stories was the racism. Bloody hell. Lovecraft was obviously racist, and the stories are all supposed to be in the style of Lovecraft and homages to him, and the stories ...more
Karen
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these stories were much better than others. As an average I'm giving them 3 stars, but note I'd give some a higher and some a much lower value.
I did individual reviews of each story in updates. Overall favourites were Stephen King's Crouch End, Brian Lumley's The Second Wish & Lovecraft & Martin Warnes' The Black Tome of Alsophocus.
Tarl
Oct 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: lovecraftian
There are some pretty big names in this anthology, so I was hoping for some amazing works from them. Instead, I was left with some pretty mild mythos fiction. King does a good job in his story, as does Campbell and a couple others. But the rest left me fighting my way through them just so I could get onto the next story, something I don't normally do when it comes to anthologies. All in all, I found this collection to be only average, hence the three star rating that I gave it. There are better ...more
Aaron Meyer
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
A really enjoyable set of tales. A few of them I shook my head about but they were not so bad that I outright disliked them. I think the weakest of them was perhaps Shaft Number 247 by Basil Copper, to me at least, sorry Mr. Copper. The best tales though definitely go to The Second Wish by Brian Lumley and Black Man with a Horn by T.E.D. Klein, with Klein at the top. His humor and just the whole way of telling the story just put it at the top for me. David Drake's Than Curse the Darkness and ...more
Mascha
Le livre noir est une anthologie inégale, où l'excellent côtoie le mauvais.

Tout d'abord, ce recueil de nouvelles lovecraftiennes s'ouvre sur Crouch End, une histoire de Stephen King, qui doit être la raison principale pour laquelle bien des gens se sont procurés l'ouvrage. Allons droit au but : cette nouvelle est la meilleure du livre. King a compris le but de l'exercice : mélanger l'univers de Lovecraft avec son style personnel, ici très reconnaissable. À certains moment, on ne sait plus si on
David Aybar Allca
Yo le pondria un 3.5. Es una antología de 9 relatos de terror, muchos me parecieron muy interesantes, guardan esta sensación de lo desconocido, intentándote describir un horror irónicamente “indescriptible”, además me gusta que en estos te ponen de escenarios lugares del mundo distintos como pueden ser Haiti, Africa o Europa del Este, a comparación de los relatos lovecraftianos más clásicos. En algunos casos se nutren de la mitología lovecraftiana de forma muy buena sabiendo meter temas, como ...more
Edward Taylor
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good anthology, adaptation and expansion of the mythos by Campbell and others. Many of the tales remind me of Lumley's (included) "Titus Crow" series in that they weave in and out of both the old (Lovecraft) and the "new" (Derleth) throughout while breaking new ground in the dark cemetery that is all things chthonic.
Hugh
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picked this up in late 80s, when I had no idea who HPL was. Having really enjoyed these (or most of them, pretty consistent quality overall), I went to check him out, and... oh... that's it?! Sorry, much prefer these, probably paradoxically!
Carlos Santiago
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una recopilación sorprendentemente sólida, más si tenemos en cuenta que es de varios autores. Aunque algunos son mejores que otros, a destacar el maravilloso Crouch End, todos son verdadero horror lovecraftiano con tintes personales de cada autor. Pequeñas maravillas que uno se encuentra por ahí.
Jim
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice read for Halloween.
Calalo
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
BRB
Guy L. Goodwin
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A few clunkers but a very solid anthology in general.
omar aguilar
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En su momento me maravillo y me gusto bastante, refresca los mitos de Cthulhu y aunque hay un par de relatos a mi parecer lentos pero en general todos esta muy bien e interesantes.
Mik Cope
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first "Lovecraftian Pastiche" anthology, and a good one at that. Particularly enjoyed the contributions by Stephen King, Ramsey Campbell, T.E.D. Klein and Brian Lumley. Recommended!
Marvin
Aug 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, autographed
Good collection of Lovecraftian tales. Editor Ramsey Campbell's objective was to place the Cthulhu Mythos in a more contemporary setting and for the most part he succeeds. The standout stories are Stephen King's "Crouch End", T.E.D. Klein's "Black Man With A Horn", and Campbell's "The Faces at Pine Dune".
Fabulantes
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror
Reseña: http://www.fabulantes.com/2012/02/nue...
"Nuevos cuentos de los Mitos de Cthulhu se abre con una dedicatoria a August Derleth, de “cuya idea este libro es deudor”. Afortunadamente, el heterogéneo cónclave de escritores que participó en él decidió ir por libre y hacer las cosas a su manera. Sin demasiadas tutelas históricas."
Luis Del Aguila
Todos los relatos tienen mitología Lovecraft ; Aunque algunos son un poco burdos para dar a entender que la historia tiene que ver con Cthulhu o Nyarlathotep , los que mas me gustaron son Crouch End de Sthepen king; El segundo Deseo ,y El libro negro de Alsophocus que es un relato del mismo Lovecraft con martin warnes.
Mr. Derp
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fellow Cthulhu Cult Members
Classic Cthulhu Collection.

I particularly enjoyed 'Black Man With A Horn' by TED Klein.

I am about halfway through the entire Lovecraft cannon, and I must admit it was nice to enjoy some "Lovecraft type" horror without having to endure his cumbersome prose style.

Santosh Bhat
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
A pretty average set of stories. Maybe Lovecraftian fare isn't my cup of tea. Not scary but definitely boring
Matt Poland
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
The Stephen King and Brian Lumley stories are particular stand-outs.

• Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • A Study in Emerald
  • A Colder War
  • Nightflyers
  • The Luminous Dead
  • The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 11
  • Subterrestrial
  • A New Leash on Love (Rescue Me, #1)
  • More Than Sexy (Sexy #1)
  • Chasing Fate (Copper Creek Shifters #1)
  • A Swedish Christmas Fairy Tale
  • Broken Souls
  • Bad Bad Bad
  • Text 2 Lovers (2 Lovers, #1)
  • Hate 2 Lovers (2 Lovers, #2)
  • Bone White
  • The Rats in the Walls
  • The Charmer in Chaps (Princes of Texas, #1)
Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."