Start by marking “Underground” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A conflict over Stillwater Cave forces two rangers to flee deep under the mountains, first to escape pursuers, and then the most deadliest threat -- the cave itself! This volume collects the critically acclaimed mini-series by Jeff Parker and Steve Lieber and includes extra material including a Wesley Fischer solo story.
Published May 18th 2010 by Image Comics (first published May 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underground

Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, reviewed
Purchased directly from (and signed by) the artist.

I met Steve Lieber yesterday at the Montreal Comiccon - what a friendly guy, by the way - and he told me about this book, a claustrophobia tale set in a cave system. I liked the premise and was looking forward to a suspense story set in such a distinct environment. I'm so glad I did!

Thanks for the recommendation, Steve!
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trades-read
I've had a passing interest in spelunking ever since seeing The Descent. It isn't something I'm sure I will ever do, but I really like the setting of caves, and they seem like a more interesting place than most to set a story. Hell, for as shitty as it was, I even enjoyed aspects of The Cave (Cole Hauser represent) because of where the story was placed.

Underground isn't a horror story, though, as much as it is one that focuses on a chase. I won't say the why fors of why the leads are on the run,
Alex Sarll
Steve Lieber draws a truly wonderful cave system, but then he draws a wonderful most things. Plus, I get the idea that the caving tips and tricks (or as a wanker would call them, 'hacks') are the fruit of genuine knowledge, and it's not like there's an overabundance of comics about caving. My only problem is that the skeleton of the story used to justify showing us all this is an action-adventure plot I can too easily see cropping up on Channel 5 (well, maybe except for the ending). Frustrating, ...more
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice little compact taut thriller. Effective at evoking the feeling of claustrophobia with comics. Lieber's great, though maybe let someone else letter next time. Could be a good movie.
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story, of park rangers who get chased into a dangerous, barely-explored cave system, is really enjoyable. The art is impressive, considering most of it is inside a cave, barely lit. the use of monochromatic color schemes works well for that, and contrasts the outside world sections well. The plot is a bit threadbare in the motivations for the cave sections, but there are a couple of action beats that work really well; although there's also one that's a bit too complicated to be clearly inte ...more
May 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Underground tackles unusual topics for comic books. In Marion, KY, investors want to develop the federally-protected Stillwater Cave into a tourist trap. After park rangers Wesley Fischer -- caver and ardent protector of the Stillwater site -- and Seth Ridge confront locals blasting the cave, events quickly spiral into a deadly chase deep under the Kentucky mountains. Believable and likable characters propel this fast moving tale. Parker presents the separate viewpoints of the factions in an inf ...more
Jordi Balcells
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I normally do not read comic-books that are not fantasy / sci-fi related. When I do read those, it's because they are pretty famous, and the theme picks my interest. Caves and rangers are not usually my cup of tea, but Mr. Lieber, one of the authors, made it interesting by treating readers as fans and not as pirates when he discovered that his work was being shared for free on the Internet. I am glad I gave it a chance, it was a good read.

The e-comic is available for download on the author's web
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I completely enjoyed this comic. The story was very fast-paced, thrilling and fairly unique. Caves and caving are a big thing where I'm from and I was quite glad to see a comic use it as a setting while bringing to light some of the issues related to caving.

I also enjoyed Steve Lieber's art more here than I did in Whiteout. There are a number of great scenes which really highlight the drama and danger of a cave setting.

I'm hoping the series sold well enough that the creators seriously consider a
April Schultz
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a graphic novel about a park ranger who works at a park with a natural cave system that is closed to the public. A rich business man wants to open the caves to the public to increase revenue for the town but the park staff is against it because the natural formations in the cave will be damaged in the process. Cue shady dealings by the business man, explosions, hurt staff, and a breathless chase through the cave system.

It was all very awesome and I wanna read more adventure comics just
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Some good art but I wasn't crazy about the story. Maybe it was too short? For a GN set firmly in the real world, the characters were a bit over the top extreme and the dramatic scenes just weren't long enough to keep it very interesting. And the ending with the restaurant workers seemed a bit too "Fried Green Tomatoes".
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A stand alone graphic novel. The problem I have with these is that they're just never long enough to give characters proper depth and give the story arc more roller coaster hills. I felt like just when this story was really starting to move... it ends. Its too bad caz it was a WYSIWYG story which is good for a stand alone.
Bill Williams
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jeff Parker and Steve Lieber have come together to create a tight little crime comic that takes place in a cave system. It's a slow speed chase that builds to a fist-fight that ties together the various moving parts of the story. Underground is a fine piece of graphic fiction by two creative guys at the top of their form.
Nick Fagerlund
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Insert something here about compressors and the radio loudness war, and how action movies (and this comic is an action movie) have a similar inflationary scale. This is kind of the equivalent of putting on an old Sabbath record and having to crank the knob a bit.

Anyway, I liked it.
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Decent little thriller about a corrupt businessman trying to line his own pockets by exploiting a natural resource and the park rangers trying to stop him. Good art, decent plot, nice message. Worth a read.
Nathan Hyde
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
While I felt some of the panes were a little difficult to understand exactly what was happening due to the posturing of the figures, overall this was an enjoyable and different book. I don't recall having read or seen a caving graphic novel before.
Jun 21, 2010 rated it liked it
A difernent story as we have park rangers traveling through caverns as they try to escape a developer who wants his actions in the park covered up. The highlight is Steve Leiber's artwork. The plot is all right, and while this is a novella very little depth is given to the characters.
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good art, good story.
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really gripping. There are some throat-tightening sequences.
Connie T.
This reads as a compact, suspenseful short story. The cave setting was different and the plot wasn't what I expected. Overall, an enjoyable read.
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Surprised at how Lieber was able to keep the cave scenes interesting and easy to follow.
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Very solid visual story telling. The reprinted
Short story was a blast.
Tk Uhrich
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Aetheric Mechanics
  • Rat Catcher
  • Strange Embrace
  • The New York Times Book of Mathematics: More Than 100 Years of Writing by the Numbers
  • Motel Art Improvement Service
  • Crying Freeman, Vol. 2
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2005
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 3: Cemetery Songs
  • The Best American Comics 2009
  • RASL, Vol. 4: The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla (RASL, #4)
  • Black Jack, Vol. 4
  • Plastic Cameras: Toying with Creativity
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 5
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 9
  • A Sickness in the Family
  • Toriko, Vol. 02
  • A God Somewhere
More about Jeff Parker...